The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWFigment

You fly Delta? I know someone who is taking advantage of their Asian deals right now.

And please share your TDR musings/experiences here. I went this week three years ago and had a great time with weather and crowds, but I did Monday-Thursday at the parks. No weekends, so I am interested in what you were able to see and do with the crowds and without the ability to book your rides on an iPhone months ahead of time!

I think the park' s structure is a home run. The template for a great park has existed since opening and they have steadily built and improved upon it.

I can't talk about the newest additions beyond saying they look great. And MM is highly regarded in the industry, which matters much more than fanbois drooling over YouTube clips. ... I think Main Street is quite detailed, but it doesn't have depth (literally, the shops don't go extend very deep). I'd still rather that version than MK's.

I love that the park has these new unique attractions that still are based on concepts done in the other castle parks but taken in completely new directions.

Not just you. But the scale of DL is smaller than the scale of MK or TDL as well.

I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. It's not all that worse than the Toontown Fair type concept though. And with two pricey E-Tickets, they needed something cheap, and largely for kids.

When's the last time WDW opened an attraction that you'd put on par with MM?

Halloween is absolutely amazing at HKDL and VERY different than what is done at the other resorts. It's also the only time of year, thus far, they leave the park open until 11 p.m.

When I was there for Christmas, they had a parade (largely an overlay of the daytime parade with Let It Snow soundtrack), a nightly show and treelighting with Mickey, Minnie and, of course, Duffy and a little village setup in the Hub. Nice, but not nearly what they do for Halloween. Those shows you speak of are new.

TT has great food. They totally changed it between my 2008 and 2010 visits. It went to a largely Indian menu (India is a major market for the park) and the food was really tasty.

Did you do Crytsal Lotus? Great local cuisine there.

HKDL wasn't a half day park when I first went in 2008. But it wasn't -- and isn't -- worthy of more than two days (and that includes checking out both hotels and going at a leisurely pace). I tell folks you don't take a trip to HKDL, you take a trip to HK and spend a day or two at HKDL if you like Disney parks.

And 10 times on MM? No one will ever accuse you of being OCD! :D ...I'm just looking forward to getting my first!

When will the pics be on the DBP? (or better, your site, since I really don't want to give Disney's site one click)

We flew United (which outsourced two of the flights to ANA...which was GREAT!), but I initially booked after receiving an email from Delta about the Asia promos. I went to ITA immediately (btw - anyone who flies a lot should learn the advanced code features of ITA...they are invaluable) and was able to find flights from Seattle and San Francisco to HKG and NRT for $776 inclusive. I was shocked when I searched for IND and found it was around $998 for the roughly the same flights, except through Chicago. The weekend we booked, United was matching Delta's prices, and since United has much better rewards, we opted to book it. Two days after we booked, United's prices approximately doubled, although I know Delta still has some pretty good deals going. Not sure why United stopped, as none of our flights were more than half full, at best. I suspect more Asia deals are coming down the pipeline.

We know not to visit TDR on the weekend, but like I said, we didn't have much choice. The weekend we visited, tickets literally sold out. TDL was absolutely packed Saturday, but aside from actually getting into the park, it wasn't a major problem. Those CMs are absolute pros when it comes to crowd control, and we just paid closer attention to getting FastPasses than we normally would, and focused on doing less-popular attractions and eating. There were some insane waits, but we never waited more than 30 minutes for an attraction. We were prepared for the worst, but it really wasn't that bad. If those were our only two days, we would have been disappointed as we skipped the headliners in TDL, but we were just able to do them on Monday, when TDL was comparatively dead.

The bigger issue was our hotel situation. We booked this trip fairly last minute (~2 months in advance). You know I'm "crazy" about wanting to stay close to the parks, and Hilton Tokyo Bay (where we stayed before for ~$150/night) was ~$300/night and the only thing on-property available, and I stubbornly was not willing to pay double what we paid before. So we stayed at what turned out to be a dive called "Family Fifty's" in Maihama...and it was absolutely awful. Mold and bugs in our room, and a terrible smell. It was about the only thing available in Maihama for a reasonable price. In retrospect, we should have just stayed in Tokyo, where nice accommodations were available for a reasonable price, and done the commute. (That nearby place you suggested previously was sold out.) Going forward, I know to look at hotels before booking airfare. Lesson learned on that one.

aladdin2007

Looking forward to seeing Frozen but did they have to remove the Stave Church in Norway Pavilion just for another M&G because of this movie? Another educational experience bites the dust in EPCOT to make way for a 30 minute wait to get a picture with a character. Granted it was old and needed a little updating but that never kept us from going in and enjoying it. "Those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and... a Meet and Greet."

The Stave Church does not have a meetngreet in it (thank goodness), it has a new exhibet that has just opened, and the meetngreet is in the first store section of puffins roost.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The Stave Church does not have a meetngreet in it (thank goodness), it has a new exhibet that has just opened, and the meetngreet is in the first store section of puffins roost.
Thanks for the correction. I must have had a few too many adult beverages by the time we got to Norway the other day and got confused.

stlphil

Spirited Thanksgiving Musings:

Yes, that is Kermit and Lady Gaga. ABC sure knows the meaning of holiday entertainment.

People in line at Best Buy at 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day (or any day for that matter) are insane.

Speaking of insanity, Mrs. Brigante's hubby took a swipe at the fan community for over reacting to Miceage's column the other day and then criticized the site for looking for hits. Gee, Ricky, don't you do the same thing? Doesn't it help keep you in that Lifestyle you so desire? And you've never jumped the gun and placed out misinformation like say that George Lucas and Bob Iger were coming to WDW's sad and neglected third gate on May 4, 2013 to make a major announcement, right?

I don't like yams and only tolerate pumpkin pie during the holidays.

Back to insanity, Jason Surrell (one of Disney's multiple mediocre at best 'talents' that exist in the Twitverse) took quite an aggressive swipe at Miceage without mentioning the site's name. Methinks he protests too much. Of course, why exactly does he even tweet or any of his ilk (Grandt, Sinclair-Harris, Dr. Blondie, Crazy Gary etc) when they say they are putting out their own opinions and not Disney's, yet never come close to saying a thing of consequence. It's actually more painful than reading my pal @EPCOT Explorer 's tweets (yes, that is saying something!) ... These Twitter accounts that say nothing are de facto PR accounts. These people have no desire to take on the fan community in a real debate/dialogue and come off like politicians. Laughable.

Hey, Jason, you want to talk NGE, Star Wars delays and SDL? You are more than welcome in this thread.

Speaking of the recent news 'splatter' ... a source tells me the BoD will be meeting in the next two weeks to discuss spending in general and in particular on P&R projects, but please take that as a rumour because I haven't gotten confirmation yet and I do not wish to be Miceage. I want to be right.

Folks who didn't like Michael Eisner's bad traits who turn around and say they like Bob Iger are truly clueless.

Adults who are really 'into' foamheads do freak me out.

Any deaths or riots yet in the Black Thursday shopping wars? I know I'd put myself in harm's way to buy a $300 TV that won't last a year!

I get that some people, lots in fact, are having positive MM+ experiences. But that doesn't change the big picture. It doesn't make the operational disaster that this is simply fade away. And it doesn't make the boondoggle any less of one. Nothing, not even DVC or outsourcing, has had such a negative effect on WDW. And it is one that will haunt the resort for a very long time to come.

Pass the stuffing ...
Muppets and Gaga together for a Thanksgiving Special was certainly surreal. But Gaga is either a great actress or really likes the Muppets, because there was not a trace of irony, discomfort, or embarrassment in her interactions with Kermit during their duet. If only Iger were similarly not embarrassed when he's seen with the characters, we (and the company) would be much better off.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Muppets and Gaga together for a Thanksgiving Special was certainly surreal. But Gaga is either a great actress or really likes the Muppets, because there was not a trace of irony, discomfort, or embarrassment in her interactions with Kermit during their duet. If only Iger were similarly not embarrassed when he's seen with the characters, we (and the company) would be much better off.
What are you talking about? Haven't you figured out by now that Lady Gaga IS a Muppet?

Cesar R M

Do the bunnies have pancakes on their heads???
some, but I have a variety.. the buttercups and carrots are always popular!

What are you talking about? Haven't you figured out by now that Lady Gaga IS a Muppet?

1DK5MhD.gif

bad bad englanddg!!

Tigger1988

I remarked to someone while watching "she's talking to him like he's a real person" it was incredible really. I liked their duet and the back and forth before it, a sweet moment imo.

Calvin Coolidge

Muppets and Gaga together for a Thanksgiving Special was certainly surreal. But Gaga is either a great actress or really likes the Muppets, because there was not a trace of irony, discomfort, or embarrassment in her interactions with Kermit during their duet.

I'm surprised y'all feel this way. That's the voice she uses when talking to children. I've always found it a bit put-on, but, then, what about her is not put-on?

Rodan75

The only "positive" MM+ experience to report so far is that completely avoiding the MagicBands and sticking with RFID cards (safely stored in my RFID signal blocking wallet ;)) hasn't damaged my vacation at all. In and of themselves, MagicBands so far have panned out to be nothing more than a poor marketing gimmick.

Lots of really long FP+ lines to report this Thanksgiving week. My normal 5-to-10 minute FP waits during previous Thanksgivings have ballooned to 15-to-20 minute FP+ waits. Rather incredible to see unfortunate Cast Members waving "FastPass line starts here" signs 100 feet from the beginning of many FP/FP+ entrances. :eek:

Just stand near any FP+ line entrance for a few minutes and listen to dozens of guests complain about MagicBands. Or hang out for a bit at Guest Relations and hear all the nightmare stories. And we were afraid this was going to be the future of all Disney theme parks? As of now, I suspect MagicBands will be gone from WDW within a few years, the fad having passed, replaced by the latest wiz-bang from the geniuses running Disney.

Very sad that some much needed investments in real WDW improvements possibly will be delayed for years unless the BoD grows a few and realizes that corporate leadership backed the wrong horse in MyMagic+.

WWOHP and Carsland proven hits. Diagon Alley the undoubted next big hit in Orlando. You'd think someone running the show in Burbank would get the clue and accelerate Star Wars Land, not put on the brakes.

After this dud, it's hard to imagine Rasulo's stock rising enough to take over as the next CEO in 2016.

Maybe Iger's departure will represent an end of an era. The era when Disney's leadership treated WDW like a baby's diaper.

Were we at the same WDW this week? The parks were packed and not once did I see a FP line that was more than 10 deep and that is because the MB take a strangely long time to get approval from the Mickey polls. The standby lines did seem much faster overall with FP+ In play. Shorter wait times than we experienced in June.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Were we at the same WDW this week? The parks were packed and not once did I see a FP line that was more than 10 deep and that is because the MB take a strangely long time to get approval from the Mickey polls. The standby lines did seem much faster overall with FP+ In play. Shorter wait times than we experienced in June.

Shorter stanby lines this week? That's good news. We were there last week (11/16 -11/23) and crowds were very light with all but the headliners being virtually walk-ons. I had been hearing reports of 30 minute waits for rides like Pirates and HM and feared that would be the case when I got there, but they were always walk-ons our whole trip. I kinda discounted the experience as being due to a really low crowd time, but Thanksgiving week had very big crowds so it's good to hear the stanby lines still weren't dramatically longer.

the.dreamfinder

Today is a very special anniversary, the day Roy E. Disney resigned from TWDC to form SaveDisney.
Here is his resignation letter.

Text of Roy Disney's resignation letter
November 30, 2003
Mr. Michael D. Eisner, Chairman

The Walt Disney Company

500 South Buena Vista Street

Burbank, CA 91521

Dear Michael,

It is with deep sadness and regret that I send you this letter of resignation from the Walt Disney Company, both as Chairman of the Feature Animation Division and as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors.

You well know that you and I have had serious differences of opinion about the direction and style of management in the Company in recent years. For whatever reason, you have driven a wedge between me and those I work with even to the extent of requiring some of my associates to report my conversations and activities back to you. I find this intolerable.

Finally, you discussed with the Nominating Committee of the Board of Directors its decision to leave my name off the slate of directors to be elected in the coming year, effectively muzzling my voice on the Board — much as you did with Andrea Van de Kamp last year.

Michael, I believe your conduct has resulted from my clear and unambiguous statements to you and the Board of Directors that after 19 years at the helm you are no longer the best person to run the Walt Disney Company. You had a very successful first 10-plus years at the Company in partnership with Frank Wells, for which I salute you. But, since Frank's untimely death in 1994, the Company has lost its focus, its creative energy, and its heritage.

As I have said, and as Stanley Gold has documented in letters to you and other members of the Board, this Company, under your leadership, has failed during the last seven years in many ways:

1. The failure to bring back ABC Prime Time from the ratings abyss it has been in for years and your inability to program successfully the ABC Family Channel. Both of these failures have had, and I believe, will continue to have, significant adverse impact on shareholder value.

2. Your consistent micro-management of everyone around you with the resulting loss of morale throughout this Company.

3. The timidity of your investments in our theme park business. At Disney's California Adventure, Paris, and now in Hong Kong, you have tried to build parks "on the cheap" and they show it, and the attendance figures reflect it.

4. The perception by all of our stakeholders — consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers — that the Company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the "quick buck" rather than the long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust.

5. The creative brain drain of the last several years, which is real and continuing, and damages our Company with the loss of every talented employee.

6. Your failure to establish and build constructive relationships with creative partners, especially Pixar, Miramax, and the cable companies distributing our products.

7. Your consistent refusal to establish a clear succession plan.

In conclusion, Michael, it is my sincere belief that it is you who should be leaving and not me. Accordingly, I once again call for your resignation or retirement. The Walt Disney Company deserves fresh, energetic leadership at this challenging time in its history just as it did in 1984 when I headed a restructuring which resulted in your recruitment to the Company.

I have and will always have an enormous allegiance and respect for this Company, founded by my uncle, Walt, and father, Roy, and to our faithful employees and loyal stockholders. I don't know if you and other directors can comprehend how painful it is for me and the extended Disney family to arrive at this decision.

In accordance with Item 6 of Form 8-K and Item 7 of Schedule 14A, I request that you disclose this letter and that you file a copy of this letter as an exhibit to a Company Form 8-K.

With sincere regret,

Roy E. Disney

cc: Board of Directors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom