The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thoughts on Frozen:
I liked Frozen. I think it's a nice change of pace for a Disney fairy tale having the story center around two sisters instead of the hackneyed hero/villain structure. The use of the paid tag line "Best Disney musical since "The Lion King" was a clear mistake because while I'd say the music is better than Rapunzel the marketing should be able to sell the film on its own merits. Now those merits are strong enough, to a degree. Let It Go is the highlight of the film song wise. It's a great ballad that takes advantage of Idina Menzel's talents and is probably the best Disney song crafted for a specific singer since the Eartha Kitt's cut "Sniff Out The Light" from Kingdom of the Sun/Emperor's New Groove. Other than that the songs work to progress story and introduce characters like Olaf, a character that was derisively called "Snow Mater" at one point who really works well despite clear reservations of some who were quick to judge, but they weren't particularly memorable. That fact alone makes it unlike Lion King where almost every song is memorable.
Having said that, I enjoyed Frozen and I went in with no expectations on purpose so I came away pleased. I look forward to seeing what Jennifer Lee directs/writes next and hope we see more from the Lopez's. Frozen was put together very, very quickly and I would like to think they will really, really get into Lion King/Aladdin/Beauty and the Beast territory the next time Walt Disney Animation does a musical from what they learned working on Frozen.

For some added context, my top films of the year (so far) in alphabetical order
12 Years A Slave
Before Midnight
Blue is the Warmest Color (Not for the kiddies, but try to see this if it is playing near you)
Frances Ha (On Netflix)
Gravity
Iron Man 3
Short Term 12
Wadjda

and maybe...

Frozen

Thanks for the thoughts. I will see Frozen next week and then you'll have mine too!

As to the top films, all I can say is I haven't seen one of them yet. I haven't had a lot of time for the cinema since summer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Did Spirit actually see Frozen? What made him say that Disney was paying for its positive reviews? Sounds like a baseless claim to me.

No, I haven't (think I just said that). I didn't say Disney was paying for its reviews. I do have a strong inkling that they paid (in one way or another as in the business you don't get a briefcase loaded with stacks of Benjamins for reviews!) for the Variety piece. And it does happen all the time.

Other than the review calling it the best since Lion King none have really been off base. All the reviews I'm hearing from regular people have been glowingly positive, but maybe Disney is paying off random people in NJ too.

That is the review I am speaking of. Frankly, Disney has put out some great films since 1994 and I have a hard time believing this one is better than all of them when folks in the industry I respect say that while it is good, it isn't all that and has VERY weak music.

As to paying off random folks in New Jersey, only if they're bloggers!:D

Disday

Spirit,
I was just wondering if you were hinting at something when you titled your post Spirit takes the Fifth and it was about Marvel. Is there a deal being worked out between Disney/Marvel/Universal? It's been reported that they've been trying to get out of the Universal contract. Also, do you work for Disney, the theme park industry, or something within the entertainment industry? I was wondering where you get your information.

lazyboy97o

Besides, (you always get this BS line from the whores) Disney never announced any of these things, maybe they were just made up by those Miceage haters to begin with. You can't cancel what you never announced to the world with a press release or, better yet, a press conference, right?
The recent article being a way to cover up that the rumors were made up seems to be a rather strong sentiment on MiceChat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The screen is a little grainy, true. Worse than Soarin', IMO.

No, not anymore. UNI completely changed the projection in FJ sometime over the summer and the difference was day and night. I went from not being able to ride more than a few times without getting dizzy ( and worried about ill) to being fine. Disney would have left the situation go for years,

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit,
I was just wondering if you were hinting at something when you titled your post Spirit takes the Fifth and it was about Marvel. Is there a deal being worked out between Disney/Marvel/Universal? It's been reported that they've been trying to get out of the Universal contract. Also, do you work for Disney, the theme park industry, or something within the entertainment industry? I was wondering where you get your information.

My words often have multiple meanings and for multiple audiences. I guess that just goes back to my days in journalism, PR and marketing.

That said, there is no deal being worked out between Disney and UNI. The folks at UNI love the Marvel IP and have no reason whatsoever for weakening their ever-stronger product by giving it up. It's simply fanboi fantasy that one day they'll get to have an Incredible Hulk meet and greet at EPCOT.

No one with any credibility (or clue) is reporting that because it is lunacy.

As to where I work, that is none of anyone's business. I can simply tell you that I do NOT work for Disney or UNI or SW. I have very strong ties to the companies and the entertainment industry as a whole.

And my information well ... it gets sprinkled on me while I slumber in the form of pixie dust by fanbois wearing nothing but 14K gold paint.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Probably the usual complaints about the jumbled story, intense motions, and screen quality, all of which are valid complaints.
It's been mentioned above, but the projectors are now all new. In each dome. And very nice.

The ride profile is now smoother. Noticeably to those who knew the details of the old one, but not enough to change the experience for most guests. It's just.... Smoother. Kind of DLs SM compared to WDWs. The Japan profile was tested in Orlando and they decided to stick with it.

The story is at best a collection of scenarios still. Always will be. Gringotts will remedy that. Infact, Gringotts will up the ante again concerning story, immersion, ride system and sensory effects. Some sections even I've dropped my jaw over.

And yes, Simpsons is also on the new projector list. Not because they have to. Because they can.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The recent article being a way to cover up that the rumors were made up seems to be a rather strong sentiment on MiceChat.

I think there are powerful forces in the fan community trying to spread that, lazyboy.

The thing is their original information was quite accurate largely. And you have to give a site that has earned its cred just that. Why would they ever want to inflict that type of damage on their BRAND by making something up? I don't buy it at all.

It would be like me starting a thread saying Disney is forcing UNI to give up the Marvel characters for the DC IP and Disney is building a fifth gate all themed to Marvel characters near WWoS that will open for the 50th Anniversary, which will revolve around the theme 'A Marvelous Time in a MAGICal Place' ... hey, maybe I should just for laughs ... but NO!

EPCOTCenterLover

Thanks. I don't know any other Disney site that has credited me (or even this site) for having the information. Accurate and first. But I am not surprised. They'll simply pretend they didn't see it here when they all read -- the more they say they 'hate' me, the more they follow and read.

This thread has been pretty good ... only when it got into the CP and kids today in the job market did it sorta spiral away and hopefully that is over.
I did- but my site is so small and more like a journal of Disney stuff and my personal life. So that when I die, my kids can read and laugh about what a goofy guy Dad was! ;)

lazyboy97o

I think there are powerful forces in the fan community trying to spread that, lazyboy.

The thing is their original information was quite accurate largely. And you have to give a site that has earned its cred just that. Why would they ever want to inflict that type of damage on their BRAND by making something up? I don't buy it at all.
I see it more as a sign of how far the discourse on MiceChat has fallen. The fluff pieces are a far bigger piece part of the site than critique.

It would be like me starting a thread saying Disney is forcing UNI to give up the Marvel characters for the DC IP and Disney is building a fifth gate all themed to Marvel characters near WWoS that will open for the 50th Anniversary, which will revolve around the theme 'A Marvelous Time in a MAGICal Place' ... hey, maybe I should just for laughs ... but NO!
I'm guessing you missed where we had been told the contract filed with the SEC is a fake and that perpetual deal are illegal.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's been mentioned above, but the projectors are now all new. In each dome. And very nice.

The ride profile is now smoother. Noticeably to those who knew the details of the old one, but not enough to change the experience for most guests. It's just.... Smoother. Kind of DLs SM compared to WDWs. The Japan profile was tested in Orlando and they decided to stick with it.

The story is at best a collection of scenarios still. Always will be. Gringotts will remedy that. Infact, Gringotts will up the ante again concerning story, immersion, ride system and sensory effects. Some sections even I've dropped my jaw over.

And yes, Simpsons is also on the new projector list. Not because they have to. Because they can.

I noticed the projectors on FJ immediately between two visits (one in May where I was backdoored three times in a row onto it -- with no mildly autistic child with me -- and my next in late July). I don't get sick on theme park rides at all. Ever. But after three in a row on FJ, I passed up a fourth because I know I would have been physically ill if I went on due to the out of focus images wreaking havoc with my eyesight/equilibrium. I was thrilled to ride in July and see things clearly and not have any issues.

As to Gringotts ... yeah ... well, The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is going to be wicked awesome ... if you are eight or an arrested development adult who loves everything Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I see it more as a sign of how far the discourse on MiceChat has fallen. The fluff pieces are a far bigger piece part of the site than critique.

That is certainly true. You have way too much (they'd call it content, I'd call it crap) to wade through ... but Al's column, which hasn't been his for a few years now has always been the gold standard for accurate insider information. You damage that and you might as well shut the site down ...or start spewing Disney PR and get invited to all the whorefests.

I'm guessing you missed where we had been told the contract filed with the SEC is a fake and that perpetual deal are illegal.

Yes, I did. Likely busy eating turkey and stuffing and green bean casserole and taters and etc etc.

BrianLo

When's the last time WDW opened an attraction that you'd put on par with MM?

Personally I'd say Splash Mountain, but there is an argument for Tower of Terror, which I love just ever so slightly less.

I largely agree with everything you guys discussed about HKDL. It's a really great castle park that is organically growing at an appropriate (and not WDW-glacial) type pace.

By the way, Screamscape and Disney and More credited you for the SDL lineup. So I suppose that's a start.

BryceM

I recently rode FJ and noticed the new brighter screens. Was more a fan of the darker screen quality, but I still enjoyed the ride a ton. FJ is still one of my favorite all time attractions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Personally I'd say Splash Mountain, but there is an argument for Tower of Terror, which I love just ever so slightly less.

I largely agree with everything you guys discussed about HKDL. It's a really great castle park that is organically growing at an appropriate (and not WDW-glacial) type pace.

By the way, Screamscape and Disney and More credited you for the SDL lineup. So I suppose that's a start.

I would say ToT, but I am curious how young Tom feels since he was probably about seven when it opened.

And, yes, I would say 'organically' is a great word to describe HKDL's development since opening in 2005.

Thanks for letting me know about those sites. I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Looking forward to seeing Frozen but did they have to remove the Stave Church in Norway Pavilion just for another M&G because of this movie? Another educational experience bites the dust in EPCOT to make way for a 30 minute wait to get a picture with a character. Granted it was old and needed a little updating but that never kept us from going in and enjoying it. "Those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and... a Meet and Greet."

WDWFigment

I would say ToT, but I am curious how young Tom feels since he was probably about seven when it opened.

And, yes, I would say 'organically' is a great word to describe HKDL's development since opening in 2005.

Thanks for letting me know about those sites. I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate it.

If we're talking just 'on par', I would say Tower of Terror. I think they're both in the same league, although I would give a clear edge to Mystic Manor. Depending upon how you feel about Everest, it might be on par with Mystic Manor, but I do not feel that it is--even in its opening condition.

I actually remember visiting MGM the year Tower of Terror opened. It was my mom's favorite park back in the day (she doesn't care for it now!), so we spent a lot of time there. I also vaguely recall construction walls up for Splash Mountain, and its first year. Vaguely as, yes, I was young. However, I do recall "the good 'ole days."

For what it's worth, I've linked to you in articles on numerous occasions, citing you directly. (To the chagrin of one of your "fans" out there in some cases...not sure if you've noticed, but I'm sure you could gather who that "fan" is by the style of their comments.) I tweeted out a link to your SDL lineup, but haven't written about it yet...

Photos are coming, but will probably be a while. Takes some time to achieve my tacky, overprocessed look! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom