The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But the calendar this year is conducive to travel this years since the 2nd was on Thursday - meaning only 2 days to take off and you get a week+

And this time has been busy prior years at wdw and dlr.
Agreed. That is probably a factor. I just remember being at WDW starting Jan. 2nd in both 96 and 98 and the place was a ghost town. I don't remember which day of the week New Year's Day was those years. In 96 I missed the blizzard of 96 that crippled the Northeast and dropped a few feet of snow at my house. It was cold at WDW, but the pools are heated;).

Cosmic Commando

Disney should not have pursued such an IT mega project. Last I checked, Disney was an entertainment company, not a IT company.
I am no fan of what NextGen has become, but:

1937: "Last I checked, Disney was a shorts studio, not a feature film studio."
1950: "Last I checked, Disney was a cartoon studio, not a live action studio."
1955: "Last I checked, Disney was a movie studio, not a carnival operator."
1971: "Last I checked, Disney was a California company, not a Florida company."
1983: "Last I checked, Disney was a 'Murican company, not a Japanese company."
et cetera

The future is digital. Disney was going to have to deal with the electronic world at some point. They have overreached in some areas (tracking?), overspent in most or all areas, and stopped spending money on attractions that actually draw people to the parks, but I think it's folly to act like the idea at its core was always doomed.

alissafalco

Agreed. That is probably a factor. I just remember being at WDW starting Jan. 2nd in both 96 and 98 and the place was a ghost town. I don't remember which day of the week New Year's Day was those years. In 96 I missed the blizzard of 96 that crippled the Northeast and dropped a few feet of snow at my house. It was cold at WDW, but the pools are heated;).

Many schools are still on break. My daughter is still on break, her school doesn't go back until Monday.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Many schools are still on break. My daughter is still on break, her school doesn't go back until Monday.
I'm sure this factors in too. Schools seem to have more days off now then they ever did. I think a lot more people are now using the week of New Years as a travel week for vacations. I checked out touringplans.com to look at historic numbers. Even last year when New Year's Day was a Tuesday the crowds were a 10 all the way through the following Saturday (1/5). If I go back to 2007 by January 3rd the level was back to 5. I think its more of a recent trend similar to how some others have noted that Thanksgivong week crowds have picked up a lot in recent years. I wish touring plans had numbers back to the 90s. I would curious to know what the crowds actually were when I was there. Could just be my perception of low crowds.

PeterAlt

Exactly Im absolutely fascinated, in a wibble sort of way.
I try and I try. I don't have to go out of my way to try to find news. But I want to because (a) I want to know, and (b) you all want to know. If it was anyone else, such as Spirit, you'd be praising him, not giving him a hard time! In the early 2000's, I reported lots of news items that were hot items then, such as Soaring. I haven't in recent years because I haven't been living in Central Florida, so I've been out of the loop. All I want is a little respect. Is that too much to ask for?

FrankLapidus

I haven't in recent years because I haven't been living in Central Florida, so I've been out of the loop. All I want is a little respect. Is that too much to ask for?

So are you in the loop now? Are you able to post actual news or will you post more theories? I don't have an issue with you at all but sometimes I do find some of the things you post to be a bit odd, bordering more on conspiracy theories than credible news or information. That's not to say I don't enjoy them but if you have real news to report then I'm sure everyone here will it appreciate in the same way that we appreciate the information provided by the other sources who post on this forum.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This might help get it back to Disney.

Some Jerk with a Camera just released his EPCOT part 3 video! I've been waiting for this for 2 years!

Wikkler

Guys, Spirit's threads drifting is nothing new.
deadhorse.gif

This is you.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
This might help get it back to Disney.

Some Jerk with a Camera just released his EPCOT part 3 video! I've been waiting for this for 2 years!

Thanks for sharing. That was fun. A few too many swear words, but that's just me.

For me, the highlights of Epcot are - in order:
1) Soarin'
2) SSE
3) the Mexico Pavilion
4) Mitsukoshi
5) easy access to Beaches 'n Cream

Take everything else out and I would scarcely notice.

Goofyernmost

So are you in the loop now? Are you able to post actual news or will you post more theories? I don't have an issue with you at all but sometimes I do find some of the things you post to be a bit odd, bordering more on conspiracy theories than credible news or information. That's not to say I don't enjoy them but if you have real news to report then I'm sure everyone here will it appreciate in the same way that we appreciate the information provided by the other sources who post on this forum.
I know I sound like a broken record here but PLEASE, even Spirit has been posting conspiracy, and rumors. I know he has a good track record and I don't want to short change that, but, I think that as of this time all real information coming from any source in Disney is either incorrect or planted. They are sealing up the leaks and if someone wants their job to remain, they are going to close mouth until there is something to actually report, via Disney allowing the information to be released. Anything new that anyone posts right now, is, if you pardon the expression, a Figment of Imagination.

To be clear this is not a support post for Peter, this is a reality check for anyone that has ever posted on this thread, all 2300 posts have had no real information. There has been no topic to stay on. What it degenerates to is of no real consequence to anyone. Stop obsessing about topic unless you can tell us what the topic is!

71jason

A couple general factors, and a couple 2014-specific have changed the game.

Generally, WDW gets a lot more Latin American tourists than ever (notably Brazilians, but also Argentinians, and no, not just tour groups). January 6 is almost as big a holiday as Christmas in Latin culture, and I think it's seen as the more "fun" holiday. In addition, Marathon Weekend--which now starts Thursday--is the second weekend of the year. There are a lot of runners, and a few probably come in a few days early to enjoy the parks while they can still walk.

This year, a lot of Orlando guests had flights cancelled due to snow and were forced to stick around a couple extra days. I think more people would have left Thursday/Friday if they could have. Also, as has been mentioned, the Wednesday holiday meant a week off for two PTO days (or already scheduled off for teachers).

In any case, it's been a while since the week after New Years was anything less than "moderately busy." Later in January, mid-week, you may see some slowdowns, but not early in the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom