The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

I may be a Star Wars geek, but actually I liked it. Hijacking Santa's sleigh may be going too far though;).

Every time I see something Star Wars related at WDW I just shake my head and think what are they waiting for because it would work so well. Vader and the storm troopers could headline their own parade or even better be the finale of a Disney villains parade at DHS.
Agreed. I think the Star Wars stuff was great as part of the parade/TV show -- it just goes to show how underutilized the property is. At a minimum, building a Mos Eisley cantina and putting an indoor show in the Sounds Dangerous/AIE space is a no brainer and could be done relatively quickly.

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
Or if you have the time an amazing drive ( LA to San Fran ). If you take the coastal route at least part of the way it's still doable in a long day.

Absolutely.
I have done this twice with friends, and it was a unforgettable experience.
Hit everything of interest on the way up.
The Walt Disney Family Museum was the icing on a already impressive cake.

If you can do it, DO IT.
You will not be sorry. The road trip alone is worth it!

:)

Cesar R M

Agreed. I think the Star Wars stuff was great as part of the parade/TV show -- it just goes to show how underutilized the property is. At a minimum, building a Mos Eisley cantina and putting an indoor show in the Sounds Dangerous/AIE space is a no brainer and could be done relatively quickly.
bathrooms, bathrooms everywhere!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Are they still desperate to fill Aulani with warm bodies?

And no running spirited commentary on the parade?

Why the hell would I travel all the way to Hawaii and stay at a disney resort? I never understood the concept of "see Hawaii, disneys way!" But I guess I'm just not the target audience. I'd rather do real snorkeling, island exploring and night scene done the real way rather than LILO and stitch hula dancing. Again, I guess I'm not the target audience here. And that's ok.

I did watch the parade and enjoyed the reindeer stormtrooper mix but could do without the singers, in general. I did like Jordan Sparks and what's his names duet. Very nice.

As for the commercials, the DVC ones weren't appealing, visually. The Aulani ones were pretty but see above statement. The parks commercials were ok, but really didn't showcase much of anything ...?

I'm pretty surprised that the mine ride wasn't discussed for more than ten seconds and the new parade next year... Two new things for WDW and neither were plussed with air time? What?
All the smiling magic band wearers gave me a tooth ache. Holy saccharine, Disney. Lay off it a touch.

TLDR; many missed opportunities for talking up the only new things at WDW

asianway

Why the hell would I travel all the way to Hawaii and stay at a disney resort? I never understood the concept of "see Hawaii, disneys way!" But I guess I'm just not the target audience. I'd rather do real snorkeling, island exploring and night scene done the real way rather than LILO and stitch hula dancing. Again, I guess I'm not the target audience here. And that's ok.

I did watch the parade and enjoyed the reindeer stormtrooper mix but could do without the singers, in general. I did like Jordan Sparks and what's his names duet. Very nice.

As for the commercials, the DVC ones weren't appealing, visually. The Aulani ones were pretty but see above statement. The parks commercials were ok, but really didn't showcase much of anything ...?

I'm pretty surprised that the mine ride wasn't discussed for more than ten seconds and the new parade next year... Two new things for WDW and neither were plussed with air time? What?
As an aside, they don't have Lilo in Aulani, only Stitch. The characters aren't very overpowering-a breakfast a few days a week and popping up around the resort. If you're going to do Hawaii you have to stay somewhere and it is better than the Marriott next door IMO

Animaniac93-98

I think Aulani looks like a nice place to stay, but they're charging 2-3 times the price of comparble properties and when people don't go to Hawaii to see Disney first and foremost, it's impossible to justify the rate.

It's the same problem the Deluxe WDW hotels are facing, only there's no WDW (or MK) to support Aulani.

doctornick

That is surprising, I had fully expected them to show them both off. They could have had an Iron Man cameo in Disneyland. The Muppets: Most Wanted could have been plugged also.

Or a Captain America cameo to promote that film next summer. But since the parade is very P&R focused (not exclusively, of course, as evidenced by Saving Mr. Banks and Frozen promos), I'm not that surprised they didn't talk about Marvel. And Marvel is far less integrated with the rest of Disney than other properties (like Pixar, the Muppets and even Star Wars).

The lack of Muppets was IMHO far more surprising given that they could have shown/promoted Muppetvision plus the new movie.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think Aulani looks like a nice place to stay, but they're charging 2-3 times the price of comparble properties and when people don't go to Hawaii to see Disney first and foremost, it's impossible to justify the rate.

It's the same problem the Deluxe WDW hotels are facing, only there's no WDW (or MK) to support Aulani.

Yep, then there's the price points. Hawaii is expensive to begin with, but Disney's Hawaii is just ridiculous.

I was kinda hoping for some Marvel plug or at least a cameo from one of the characters. Considering they plugged Frozen, but not the Muppets new movie, Capt. America new movie...or really, Saving Mr. Banks outside f two commercials is really surprising, and again, a huge missed opportunity to plus new movies/entertainment to a captive audience. Obvs we like Disney, or we wouldn't have been watching the parade. Doesn't make sense to me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quick drop in before bed where I won't comment on anything of substance (and everyone from Bob Iger to Jason Surrell to a mentally ill lifestyler who craves my attention as much as food should consider themselves lucky!), but wanted to wish all my wonderful friends and this MAGICal community a very merry Dec. 25th from far, far away (where only overindulging and the NSA can get me!)

PeterAlt

A friend sent me this and I thought I'd share it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 98

PeterAlt

All the smiling magic band wearers gave me a tooth ache. Holy saccharine, Disney. Lay off it a touch.

TLDR; many missed opportunities for talking up the only new things at WDW
Yeah, who would travel to Hawaii when you could stay at the Polynesian, which is better because Aulani doesn't have a Magic Kingdom in its backyard, or a monorail to EC, or a bus to HS or AK!

Oh, and Aulani IS getting their own monorail, by the way, but their "monorail" will have two tracks and it will be 100% elevated. Honolulu's new elevated light rail system is well under construction and will stop at all places of importance, including the airport!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, who would travel to Hawaii when you could stay at the Polynesian, which is better because Aulani doesn't have a Magic Kingdom in its backyard, or a monorail to EC, or a bus to HS or AK!

Oh, and Aulani IS getting their own monorail, by the way, but their "monorail" will have two tracks and it will be 100% elevated. Honolulu's new elevated light rail system is well under construction and will stop at all places of importance, including the airport!
Does the same apply for Paris. Why go to France when you can go to Vegas? They too have a monorail;)

I've been to all 4 islands of Hawaii on multiple trips and I can say it's absolutely worth the trip. The natural beauty and incredible people make it a truly unique place. IMHO Oahu is a distant 4th out of the 4 major islands. Pearl Harbor is a pretty powerful experience and a must see. If I were giving out advice to someone visiting Hawaii I would say fly into Honululu and stay 2 or 3 nights just to hit Pearl Harbor and the north shore then pick another island or 2 to stay for a week to 10 days. Inter-island flights are relatively cheap and very quick so it makes visiting multiple islands easy.

I've never been to Aulani but it looks nice and is at least in a good part of Oahu mostly away from the congestion and traffic of the Waikiki area. As a DVC owner I would trade in there for a few nights to check it out, but it's gonna be quite some time before I'm willing to take my kids on that long of a flight. I would imagine it has been marketed heavily to Southern CA residents who are only about 4 hours away and the Japanese tourists who are a very big part of the tourist economy in HI. May have even been a test case for possible DVC expansion to Japan too. If sales to Japanese tourists in HI were huge they might have considered rolling out a DVC in Tokyo. Still might.
Yep, then there's the price points. Hawaii is expensive to begin with, but Disney's Hawaii is just ridiculous.
Hawaii is excessively expensive if you want to stay ocean front in a newer resort property. The Marriott next door is slightly cheaper depending on which room type, but it's in the ball park with Aulani. Actually, if you could rent DVC points for say $14 a point you could get a studio room at Aulani for as low as $250 a night which is actually pretty reasonable for a beachfront resort in HI. There are chain hotels in the Honolulu area where you can get a room for $100 a night, but they aren't real resorts. Just a room to sleep at night.

PeterAlt

Does the same apply for Paris. Why go to France when you can go to Vegas? They too have a monorail;)

I've been to all 4 islands of Hawaii on multiple trips and I can say it's absolutely worth the trip. The natural beauty and incredible people make it a truly unique place. IMHO Oahu is a distant 4th out of the 4 major islands. Pearl Harbor is a pretty powerful experience and a must see. If I were giving out advice to someone visiting Hawaii I would say fly into Honululu and stay 2 or 3 nights just to hit Pearl Harbor and the north shore then pick another island or 2 to stay for a week to 10 days. Inter-island flights are relatively cheap and very quick so it makes visiting multiple islands easy.

I've never been to Aulani but it looks nice and is at least in a good part of Oahu mostly away from the congestion and traffic of the Waikiki area. As a DVC owner I would trade in there for a few nights to check it out, but it's gonna be quite some time before I'm willing to take my kids on that long of a flight. I would imagine it has been marketed heavily to Southern CA residents who are only about 4 hours away and the Japanese tourists who are a very big part of the tourist economy in HI. May have even been a test case for possible DVC expansion to Japan too. If sales to Japanese tourists in HI were huge they might have considered rolling out a DVC in Tokyo. Still might.

Hawaii is excessively expensive if you want to stay ocean front in a newer resort property. The Marriott next door is slightly cheaper depending on which room type, but it's in the ball park with Aulani. Actually, if you could rent DVC points for say $14 a point you could get a studio room at Aulani for as low as $250 a night which is actually pretty reasonable for a beachfront resort in HI. There are chain hotels in the Honolulu area where you can get a room for $100 a night, but they aren't real resorts. Just a room to sleep at night.
Never been to HI. Coincidentally, just a few hours ago (before I even saw Soaring's post), I was having a conversation with my mom about how seeing HW should be on our bucket lists. She said she has no desire to see it. And I said it looks beautiful from Google Earth (I took a virtual tour of all the islands). "Breath taking" is what I should have said. Even from a satellite, the images took my breath away! Any way, she said why go there when you have the Caribbean islands here. I mentioned the diversity of scenery there, such as mountains. She said there's mountains in the Virgin Islands and PR - and PR even has rain forests. I said, "but, there's no volcanos in the Caribbean!" She said, "That's true." And the conversation ended.

Cesar R M

but poly as no beach (with real natural waves I mean)?

Never been to HI. Coincidentally, just a few hours ago (before I even saw Soaring's post), I was having a conversation with my mom about how seeing HW should be on our bucket lists. She said she has no desire to see it. And I said it looks beautiful from Google Earth (I took a virtual tour of all the islands). "Breath taking" is what I should have said. Even from a satellite, the images took my breath away! Any way, she said why go there when you have the Caribbean islands here. I mentioned the diversity of scenery there, such as mountains. She said there's mountains in the Virgin Islands and PR - and PR even has rain forests. I said, "but, there's no volcanos in the Caribbean!" She said, "That's true." And the conversation ended.

some people just do not have interest I suppose?

PeterAlt

Just a quick drop in before bed where I won't comment on anything of substance (and everyone from Bob Iger to Jason Surrell to a mentally ill lifestyler who craves my attention as much as food should consider themselves lucky!), but wanted to wish all my wonderful friends and this MAGICal community a very merry Dec. 25th from far, far away (where only overindulging and the NSA can get me!)
The International Space Station? Say hi to the crew for me and have a safe flight back home... The Russian Soyuz can be a bit bumpy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom