The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

brb1006

After their visit to the park and after they leave China. YouTube is not available to foreign visitors. And that still assumes the interest in such attractions, which is definitely over emphasized amongst Walt Disney World fans.
This is going to cause a major culture shock for any visitor familiar with WDW and Disneyland. Especially since there are a ton of vlog videos from families and visitors shot there including the attractions and parades that been popping up on Youtube alot over the past few years.

lazyboy97o

This is going to cause a major culture shock for any visitor familiar with WDW and Disneyland. Especially since there are a ton of vlog videos from families and visitors shot there including the attractions and parades that been popping up on Youtube alot over the past few years.
I think your own personal interests are biasing your assessment. The park also isn't going to bring in huge numbers of visitors who frequent Disneyland Resort much less Walt Disney World. Americans really interested in meet and greets aren't suddenly going to start jetting off to Asia en mass.

No Name

It opened and still no videos of Roarin' Rapids... Anyone know where they post videos, clearly not youtube.

There is currently one video of Roaring Rapids. Easy to find on youtube, just search Shanghai Disneyland Roaring Rapids and click on one of the 4:31 videos (they're all the same, just reuploaded by different people). It was taken about 10 days ago.

I'd like to see another though, because rapids rides are naturally hard to film and we don't get to see everything from one video. Plus, that one starts part-way up the lift hill rather than at the beginning.

I also wonder if the animatronic situation is any better now, or at least if they've disguised the problems.

Cesar R M

I actually wonder, are there videos for the parades ?

BrianLo

I went to the second theme park site today. Major question - have you guys already seen it? I haven't been following that closely in the last few weeks.

It's not going to blow your mind (no Tower of Terror goes here marker), but it was definitely weird and informative.

Mike S

I went to the second theme park site today. Major question - have you guys already seen it? I haven't been following that closely in the last few weeks.

It's not going to blow your mind (no Tower of Terror goes here marker), but it was definitely weird and informative.
Informative how?

BrianLo

Informative how?

There is another new shopping plaza being built that hasn't been discussed, it basically mirrors the SDL plot and is placed roughly where downtown Disney is.

They also seemingly have preserved all the canal structure of the village, of course they may just bulldoze it all (probably) but it would be an interesting jumping off point for a second park.

Honestly it's not a ton of infrastructure but there are washrooms and restaurants sporadically, + kayaking. It's informative in the fact as well that it isn't truly WDW, Shendi is going to use the land how they see fit... And I suppose at some point bulldoze it and let WDI start over?

I would have guessed they would actually build the second park down in the South West corner since that plot is still left unoccupied... It's just odd.

No Name

There is another new shopping plaza being built that hasn't been discussed, it basically mirrors the SDL plot and is placed roughly where downtown Disney is.

They also seemingly have preserved all the canal structure of the village, of course they may just bulldoze it all (probably) but it would be an interesting jumping off point for a second park.

Honestly it's not a ton of infrastructure but there are washrooms and restaurants sporadically, + kayaking. It's informative in the fact as well that it isn't truly WDW, Shendi is going to use the land how they see fit... And I suppose at some point bulldoze it and let WDI start over?

I would have guessed they would actually build the second park down in the South West corner since that plot is still left unoccupied... It's just odd.

Is this what you mean, down in the southeast corner? I don't think it is, it doesn't sound like what you're describing. Though that is a Shendi, non-Disney development as well. And it's open according to their website.

image.png

Last edited:

BrianLo

Is this what you mean, down in the southeast corner? I don't think it is, it doesn't sound like what you're describing. Though that is a Shendi, non-Disney development as well. And it's open according to their website.

View attachment 146627

Nope the development is just below where it says xiwujia zhai (you can see it on that aerial) and went all through that area plus hanjiaquan

No Name

Bird on the ceiling of the Soarin' queue. Neat!

Nope the development is just below where it says xiwujia zhai (you can see it on that aerial) and went all through that area plus hanjiaquan

Hmm interesting. No, I do not believe anyone had noticed that. I was okay with Shendi's little place in the corner, but now it seems they're really using a lot of the land. I guess it's okay since Disney likely won't need it for a long time. But it's kind of weird. It's the Shanghai Disneyland Resort. Everything inside of the moat should be a part of the resort, I feel.

It's totally possible that they're paying Disney a small amount to use the land without them. I could see Disney being nervous about how successful the resort will be and wanting to make a quick buck. They've sold some of their WDW land to make money, this might be the same kind of thing.

Calm Down Rover

SoCal Attractions 360 just uploaded a Roaring Rapids POV featuring a working AA.

At last! It's neat to see such a huge animatronic, though I'm honestly not a fan of the scene's lighting at all. The bright, sunny cave resembles a Splash Mountain riverbank, not a monster's lair. The glowing eyes look odd in the natural sunshine, but it's probably pretty spooky at night.

BrianLo

I cannot see the video here, but the lighting was not an issue yesterday as far as I was concerned in person. You could see him and fairly well, but it didn't strike me as over-lit.

You are in the dark for what seemed like quite a while before seeing him, I actually thought it wasn't working and the scene was black because the build up was longer than I thought it would be. It definitely resembles a lair in build up.

His eyes make him look slightly more toonified than the concept art, but to say it's impressive and slightly terrifying would be an understatement.

Mike S

I cannot see the video here, but the lighting was not an issue yesterday as far as I was concerned in person. You could see him and fairly well, but it didn't strike me as over-lit.

You are in the dark for what seemed like quite a while before seeing him, I actually thought it wasn't working and the scene was black because the build up was longer than I thought it would be. It definitely resembles a lair in build up.

His eyes make him look slightly more toonified than the concept art, but to say it's impressive and slightly terrifying would be an understatement.
So the AA is effective then?

Cesar R M

Perhaps the videocamera had a very high ISO compensation to make the area look way brighter than it is?

BrianLo

So the AA is effective then?

Yes - I believe I might have said an expletive out loud. Sadly I feel like we won't get a good comparison with Kong as all the Orlando folks that have been to SDL missed out on RR. I don't see myself back to Universal Orlando until the Nintendo stuff.

It might be the most physically imposing AA ever (or at least the one that works). It's huge. By the way there is an indoor drop in the dark as well that you guys probably can't really pick up from the videos.

It's Grizzly River Rapids + 30 seconds indoors + an imposing AA. I don't think it's going to be anyone's favourite ride ever, but it's the definitive rapids ride for sure.

My one issue is that it by far suffers the most from being new with immature plant life. It needs 5-10 years of growth. Fortunately this is one time where Disney literally has to do nothing and the ride will improve over time.

BrianLo

Perhaps the videocamera had a very high ISO compensation to make the area look way brighter than it is?

Yes, I don't think its lighting design works to be viewed from a camera. It's lit for the human eye that has to adjust from being in a dark cave.

I'll look at the video towards the end of June when I've left China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom