The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

General Grizz

Rawr. I guess WDW's tourism situation has recovered so much that the hurricanes wanna have some fun. :mad:

Frances and Charley! Congratulations on becoming category 4 storms. What will you do next?
"We're going to Disney World!" :brick:

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Speaking of which, Ivan is now forecast to become a category 4... it now has sustained winds of 125 mph... a cat. 4 hurricane is 131-155 mph... so, that's the latest update as of 5pm. EST.

imagineer99

Doesn't sharing a name with a hurricane stink?

My name's Ivan and for some reason I feel partially responsible;)

Anyways, I hope that this one dies down before too much.

Sincerely,

Ivan (-I-99-)

speck76

imagineer99 said:
Doesn't sharing a name with a hurricane stink?

My name's Ivan and for some reason I feel partially responsible;)

Anyways, I hope that this one dies down before too much.

Sincerely,

Ivan (-I-99-)

I hope the hurricane is not as full of hot air :lookaroun

Just kidding man.....hey....you're alright :D

barnum42

*MichelleP* said:
Here is the 1 pm update:
051733W5.gif
The above forcast has Ivan South of Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Frances passed North of Puerto Rico (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=43722&page=6&pp=15 see post #89) Hopefully this will mean Ivan will bypass Florida.

wolf29

Ivan will most likely be affected by the mountainous terrain of either Hispanola or E. Cuba. It is also forecast to enter a less favorable environment for intensification. After that it could go in any number of directions. Everyone should concentrate on those affected by Frances and put off the doomsaying over Ivan for the moment.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just an update, it now has sustained winds of 135 MPH with higher
gusts. Additional strengthening is possible over the next 24 hours.

---NHC UPDATE---

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES... 35 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 125 MILES...205 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 948 MB...27.99 INCHES.

IT IS MOVING TOWARD THE LESSER ANTILLES...

AT 8 PM AST...0000Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF TRINIDAD/TOBAGO HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR GRENADA AND DEPENDENCIES.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR BARBADOS. INTERESTS
ELSEWHERE IN THE LESSER ANTILLES SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF
IVAN.

---END UPDATE---

PLTink

When would Ivan possiably hit the Orlando area if at all? Our trip is planned for Sept.16-22 and Im not feeling too good about it.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hmm, very close to the last track, but might move farther up the coast of the US?

---BEGIN NHC UPDATE---

HURRICANE IVAN ADVISORY NUMBER 15
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM AST SUN SEP 05 2004

...CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE IVAN CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN...

AT 11 PM AST...0300Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF ST. LUCIA HAS ISSUED A
HURRICANE WATCH.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR BARBADOS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR GRENADA AND ITS
DEPENDENCIES.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE LESSER ANTILLES SHOULD MONITOR THE
PROGRESS OF IVAN.

AT 11 PM AST...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE IVAN WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 10.8 NORTH... LONGITUDE 49.4 WEST OR ABOUT 700
MILES...1130 KM... EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BARBADOS.

IVAN IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 21 MPH...33 KM/HR...
AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. IVAN CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AND IS CURRENTLY A
CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE... IF THIS INTENSIFICATION PHASE CONTINUES...
IVAN WILL APPROACH CATEGORY 5 STATUS DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24
HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 35 MILES... 55 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 140 MILES...220 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 948 MB...27.99 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 11 PM AST POSITION...10.8 N... 49.4 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 21 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...135 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 948 MB.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 2 AM AST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 5 AM
AST.

---END UPDATE---

Ringo8n24

PLTink said:
When would Ivan possiably hit the Orlando area if at all? Our trip is planned for Sept.16-22 and Im not feeling too good about it.

We will be there that week too. Hopefully all will calm down. I know we will see some damage as we drive down I-75. Ivan will most likely be out of the picture when our trip comes around, but there may be another to follow. You just cannot tell. I guess that is what we get for going during hurricane season...we have to take our chances. I have been stressing about it hitting Florida or here on the Ms Gulf Coast so I have a double dose of stress. :brick:

StevenT

paths.gif

Okay lets look at the chart:

In red is the approx. path Charley took, and in blue is the approx. path of Frances. In white I have extrapolated the path of Ivan out to the only part of Florida left pretty well untouched thusfar. This is a conspiracy, someone is out to destroy our state :lookaroun.

On a serious note, eveyone has to be good humoured about all this, because there is nothing you can do to stop it, so just be prepared then sit back and relax :).

patelaine1953

Our trip is the same as Ringo8n24. I'm not so much worried about a hurricane when we're there as getting in and out of MCO. We are flying to and from Boston. I really don't want to change reservations made a year ago. I don't know how that would work with the DVC.

Just a question for those in the know, what happens when you purchase an untimate park hopper pass? You purchase these for the entire time of your trip but with the parks closing a day or two because of Charley and now Frances, how do you recoup the money put out for a pass for those days? I have park hopper plus passes so it wouldn't affect me but some do purchase the other passes. I was just wondering for future reference.

Rodneyt74

Im suppose to fly in friday night for 8 day vacation. Looks like I should be able to make the flight and shouldn't be a problem making it there, but once I arrive who know what it will be like. I don't know what to do.. I have never seen florida get hit the way they have in past month. Just annoying for me and my family, but I can't imagine what people that live and work there are going through. Most years I can remember there was just one major hurricane of season. Now it looks like 3 and it is just now the peak of hurricane season.. How many will there be this year? Lets just hope and pray this one stays south and spares florida this time. They have been though enough already..

Menjiness

We will be there the 15-20th (September)

PLTink said:

and we are getting really worried about this.....

Desiree (first timers to WDW)

TyBrayPey

My husband is flying to Orlando next Sunday (the 12th) and I'm flying down there to join him on the 15th. As it looks like Hurricane Ivan might be hitting sometime in that time frame, does anyone have any suggestions what sort of things we should bring with us (just in case we're stranded). Also, did the Disney resorts close down during Hurricane Francis? I know WDW closed for the weekend and I'm fully expecting it to happen again while we're down there if Ivan hits. At this point, we'll both be lucky if our airplanes even make it down there (especially if the airport is closed again). :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom