The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Phroobar

One of my favorite places to take visitors. We usually drive as close as we can then abandon the vehicle and walk. There is a bus shuttle. I don't get in strangers' cars but rideshare is an option.

We usually park at the bottom of the hill in the playground parking area and hike up the hill. It's pretty exhausting but worth it.

Phroobar

One thing we did as kids was go to Will Rogers State Park in the Pacific Palisades. That is where his house and stables are. It is interesting finding out about the cowboy comedian and his radio career. They have a huge polo field that on weekends you go watch a game. The hiking trails are a lot of fun in to the Santa Monica mountains.

iu

iu

I also enjoyed the Leo Carrillo State Park. This has really amazing tide pools and some cool sea caves. We always had school field trips there.
iu

PiratesMansion

How about the museums in Exposition Park? Space shuttle!
Thank you for pointing this out! I knew about the space shuttle, but I didn't realize that there were other museums basically right next to it! Those might be worth exploring too (at least one of them I believe was previously highlighted in this thread).

That's probably not a bad thing to point out either in regards to my previous hypothetical itineraries: I don't necessarily 'need' to see all of these museums (nor do I have the same level of desire to visit each of them), but the fact that a lot of them are clustered together, and thus walkable without having to park multiple times, is very convenient.

I'm also a bit nervous about heat after last summer. I've probably talked about this on some level somewhere else here, but last summer I had three occasions where, due to some unfortunate combination of heat, tiredness, dehydration, and anxiety there were some medical issues that flared up three separate times last summer as I was travelling, one of which took me to the ER. That's another reason why I'm possibly going heavy on museums: not only do I enjoy them generally, but it's also insurance against the heat. In fairness, these incidents did NOT happen in California last summer and this is probably an overcorrection on my part, but it is something I am nonetheless anxious about and it is very much on my mind as I'm planning this trip.

So I want to try, on some level, to balance indoor vs. outdoor activities, and with the theme parks and natural sites I'll be visiting, I figure I'll be outside plenty.

Parteecia

Thank you for pointing this out! I knew about the space shuttle, but I didn't realize that there were other museums basically right next to it! Those might be worth exploring too (at least one of them I believe was previously highlighted in this thread).

That's probably not a bad thing to point out either in regards to my previous hypothetical itineraries: I don't necessarily 'need' to see all of these museums (nor do I have the same level of desire to visit each of them), but the fact that a lot of them are clustered together, and thus walkable without having to park multiple times, is very convenient.

I'm also a bit nervous about heat after last summer. I've probably talked about this on some level somewhere else here, but last summer I had three occasions where, due to some unfortunate combination of heat, tiredness, dehydration, and anxiety there were some medical issues that flared up three separate times last summer as I was travelling, one of which took me to the ER. That's another reason why I'm possibly going heavy on museums: not only do I enjoy them generally, but it's also insurance against the heat. In fairness, these incidents did NOT happen in California last summer and this is probably an overcorrection on my part, but it is something I am nonetheless anxious about and it is very much on my mind as I'm planning this trip.

So I want to try, on some level, to balance indoor vs. outdoor activities, and with the theme parks and natural sites I'll be visiting, I figure I'll be outside plenty.
There's also the Huntington Library. The beautiful grounds are a big bonus besides the art.

I understand. I've gotten heatsick far too many times while trying to keep up with others at DL. I'm still learning that I have to stop and take care of myself. And drink more water!!

Sailor310

What is it? Dolphin and whale watching (Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari)
Where is it? Dana Point, in Orange County
How far from Disneyland? About 40 minutes
How much? ~$50 per person for a 2-3 hour sailing

There are probably literally dozens of dolphin/whale watching companies all up and down the coast, but I've only used one, so that's the one you're going to hear about! We used Captain Dave's, which is in Orange County not terribly far from Disneyland. It was amazing! There were literally hundreds of dolphins in the waters around us! Plus, there were two features on this boat that made the trip extra special. One, there was an area where the floor was nylon netting and you could actually lay down with just the net between you and the dolphins a couple of feet away swimming next to the hulls.
SDC15973.jpg

Then, the bottoms of the two hulls had glass panels in the walls so you could be under the water with the dolphins swimming right next to you.
SDC15971.jpg

You also get what I bet is pretty reliable viewing of California sea lions. They like to hang out on the buoys:
SDC15978.jpg

We didn't see any whales, but it wasn't supposed to be a particularly good time for that and we were satisfied seeing the dolphins. This company has a little chart that tells you when is a good time to see what and they keep a log of sightings on their trips. Some of the counts are absurdly specific: one I just saw said 1,876 common dolphins (did they really count to 1,876?), but the count for my trip seems spot-on. I don't think they're padding their stats.

I dated Capt Dave's wife before they met and got married. He seems like a really good guy.

Consumer

There's also the Huntington Library. The beautiful grounds are a big bonus besides the art.

I understand. I've gotten heatsick far too many times while trying to keep up with others at DL. I'm still learning that I have to stop and take care of myself. And drink more water!!
Nice as the Huntington is, $30 for what is such a limited collection of art is ridiculous. Getting a ticket to one of their free days is the best way to do the Huntington.

Nirya

Gonna come out of hiding for a couple things.

You asked about Angel Island and unless you're a major history buff, there isn't much there that stands out. I would stick with Alcatraz and some of the better museums than doing it, but that's just me.

I'm going to throw a couple things on the PCH discussion. I love Morro Bay, and Morro Rock has a large amount of peregrine falcons, so it's an amazing bird-watching spot. It's a bit off the path as well, but if you like wine Paso Robles is the best wine area in SoCal imo. Excellent wineries (J Lohr has a spot here) or, if you're a beer person, 805 has their distillery here as well.

LACMA isn't ready yet, if you're going to be here in a few years that would probably be better. That said the Petersen Museum is right there and is a delight, as are the Tar Pits, so maybe you add it as part of a day with those two. The Getty is still the superior art museum in LA, and I highly recommend the Getty Villa but make sure you don't need a reservation (or get one if you need it). I'll also give a "yes, but" for the Exposition Park museums; I've been to both the Science Museum and Natural History Museum in the past few months with my students, and you could realistically be done with those in a few hours total. The Science Museum (outside the shuttle) is vry geared towards small children, and the Natural History Museum is closer to a regular museum. But USC is right there and is a pretty campus to walk through. Ditto UCLA; in fact, I would add both of those campuses just for their architecture alone.

Hollywood is a tourist trap, Pasadena is really nice but out of the way. I don't know if anyone recommended it but I love the Aquarium of the Pacific; it's right on the water, has solid exhibits, and you're right next to downtown Long Beach which has plenty of good places to eat. Will definitely also recommend the Griffith Observatory, and will UNrecommend the LA Zoo, which is a dump.

Phroobar

The Discovery Cube in Orange (right off the freeway) always has some fun science exhibits. It is geared towards smaller kids though. It's fun for them to run around in the dinosaur dig and collect tokens. They expanded it in recent years.

iu

iu

Phroobar

Speaking of trains, the Griffith Park Train Museum is fun. You get to climb inside the trains and some times the local model train clubs are there to give rides on their miniature scale trains.

iu

iu

I think Walt Disney's bench where he came up with the idea for Disneyland is there.

Consumer

The Santa Ana zoo is small but a lot of fun. They train and a few small rides. It is a nice afternoon.

iu
iu

iu
Excited to see elephant rides only to be disappointed to learn they canceled elephant rides over 10 years ago because they’re “inhumane.” Are elephants less capable of being ridden than horses or camels? Bring back elephant rides!

Phroobar

Wild Rivers is back in Irvine. I haven't been but it looks fun.

There is the Great Wolf Lodge down the street from Disneyland. Tons of kids so stay away if you don't like noise.

Of course there is Raging Waters in San Dimas (say hi to Bill & Ted) , Knott's Soak City and Magic Mountain's Hurricane Harbor.

PiratesMansion

Gonna come out of hiding for a couple things.

You asked about Angel Island and unless you're a major history buff, there isn't much there that stands out. I would stick with Alcatraz and some of the better museums than doing it, but that's just me.

I'm going to throw a couple things on the PCH discussion. I love Morro Bay, and Morro Rock has a large amount of peregrine falcons, so it's an amazing bird-watching spot. It's a bit off the path as well, but if you like wine Paso Robles is the best wine area in SoCal imo. Excellent wineries (J Lohr has a spot here) or, if you're a beer person, 805 has their distillery here as well.

LACMA isn't ready yet, if you're going to be here in a few years that would probably be better. That said the Petersen Museum is right there and is a delight, as are the Tar Pits, so maybe you add it as part of a day with those two. The Getty is still the superior art museum in LA, and I highly recommend the Getty Villa but make sure you don't need a reservation (or get one if you need it). I'll also give a "yes, but" for the Exposition Park museums; I've been to both the Science Museum and Natural History Museum in the past few months with my students, and you could realistically be done with those in a few hours total. The Science Museum (outside the shuttle) is vry geared towards small children, and the Natural History Museum is closer to a regular museum. But USC is right there and is a pretty campus to walk through. Ditto UCLA; in fact, I would add both of those campuses just for their architecture alone.

Hollywood is a tourist trap, Pasadena is really nice but out of the way. I don't know if anyone recommended it but I love the Aquarium of the Pacific; it's right on the water, has solid exhibits, and you're right next to downtown Long Beach which has plenty of good places to eat. Will definitely also recommend the Griffith Observatory, and will UNrecommend the LA Zoo, which is a dump.
Angel Island is probably more based on mentions from elementary school than anything else. I'll go ahead and put that in the maybe column.

Good to know about Morro Bay.

I've done the Tar Pits before, and thought it was pretty cool, though I think you can access the grounds for free and you only need to pay to go into the museum? In which case I might stop by for a second. I think at this point LACMA is off the list unless timing allows a visit after I've done everything else in the area.

Science Museum would be pretty much 100% for the space shuttle, so that works out I suppose. I hadn't considered walking around the campuses before, but might consider that.

Speaking of trains, the Griffith Park Train Museum is fun. You get to climb inside the trains and some times the local model train clubs are there to give rides on their miniature scale trains.

iu

iu

I think Walt Disney's bench where he came up with the idea for Disneyland is there.

I need to look into the logistics of the train museum. I have actually been there as part of the Bob Gurr tour, but the focus was on Walt's Barn, so that got the focus.

The bench is at the Griffith Park Merry Go Round. It's stored inside the carousel building, so you need to ride the carousel to see it. Hopefully the carousel got/gets some TLC-it was definitely in rough shape five years ago.

TP2000

They sent the koi fish from the Disneyland Hotel to the Huntington Library, when they did the big hotel makeover and ripped out the lagoons about 15 years ago.

Koi fish can live up to 35 years, so there are still Koi swimming around at the Huntington Library who used to live at the Disneyland Hotel!

My father had an ornamental koi pond in his Japanese garden. When he passed away and we put the house up for sale, my sister and I looked at each other and said "What the hell do we do with all these koi fish?!?"

Suffice it to say, they were not sent to live out their days luxuriating at the Huntington Library. :oops:

Phroobar

They sent the koi fish from the Disneyland Hotel to the Huntington Library, when they did the big hotel makeover and ripped out the lagoons about 15 years ago.

Koi fish can live up to 35 years, so there are still Koi swimming around at the Huntington Library who used to live at the Disneyland Hotel!

My father had an ornamental koi pond in his Japanese garden. When he passed away and we put the house up for sale, my sister and I looked at each other and said "What the hell do we do with all these koi fish?!?"

Suffice it to say, they were not sent to live out their days luxuriating at the Huntington Library. :oops:
iu

GiveMeTheMusic

Excited to see elephant rides only to be disappointed to learn they canceled elephant rides over 10 years ago because they’re “inhumane.” Are elephants less capable of being ridden than horses or camels? Bring back elephant rides!

While riding an elephant definitely sounds fun, a quick Google search could enlighten you as to why the practice has been discontinued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom