The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Phroobar

101 is nothing but desolate farm land that way. You can tie the wheel down and go to sleep for hours and not see another car or town.

PiratesMansion

I am looking to do a lot of new-to-me California this summer and I figured this thread would be a decent place to ask some of the questions I have (also wanted to bump this thread because it's still pretty helpful overall):

1. Pacific Coast Highway (I'm going to do roughly SF to LA)-what is worth doing/where is worth stopping between Hearst Castle and Santa Barbara?

2. LACMA, Broad, MOCA-which one(s) to prioritize, which one(s) to cut? Broad seems coolest on paper, but curious about your thoughts. I did the Getty Center last summer and am planning on doing the Getty Villa this summer, as well as some of the art museums in San Francisco (first time visiting!)

3. Not really SoCal, but Angel Island-I learned about this place in school and am interested in visiting, but information and reviews seem kind of limited compared to, say, Alcatraz. If I'm interested in the history, should I visit? Or should I skip?

4. How is the new Academy museum?

TP2000

I am looking to do a lot of new-to-me California this summer and I figured this thread would be a decent place to ask some of the questions I have (also wanted to bump this thread because it's still pretty helpful overall):

1. Pacific Coast Highway (I'm going to do roughly SF to LA)-what is worth doing/where is worth stopping between Hearst Castle and Santa Barbara?

Not a whole lot, but there's a few small gems. A big chunk of that coast is taken up by Vandenburg Space Force Base, which you can't really enter or enjoy unless you've been selected to go to the Moon. Amtrak's wonderful Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle travels through the base, between the seacliffs and the rockets sitting on their launch pads and it's fabulous, but otherwise it's hard to get in there. Morro Bay is kind of nice; as I remember there's some good seafood restaurants in town. Pismo Beach is also pleasant, but a bit more touristy. At the very least, they are good spots to plan for a nice little lunch and a gas station stop.

That chunk of central California is all just sort of rural, lightly populated coastline that is perfectly entertaining to see from the car as you drive along the rugged coast, enjoying the view and pretending you are starring in a Hertz commercial.

If you see a highway sign for an upcoming Vista Point pulloff, get ready to pull off the highway and take in the view for a couple minutes! And they're great spots for fun family pictures. The Vista Points built along California highways are one of the few times where Sacramento bureaucrats actually know what they're doing. :cool:

ftd-pch-shutterstock_579241192.jpg

Bravo for including Hearst Castle in your itinerary! It's a real marvel. Take the official tour, look at the ballroom and the swanky indoor swimming pool where Charlie Chaplin and other Hollywood royalty played and relaxed, in a gracious era far removed from the Kardashians. It's a gorgeous site with a gorgeous estate. One of those "How did this even get here?!?" type of things. And you'll never look at magazine subscriptions the same way ever again.

Inland a bit north of Santa Barbara there is Solvang. It's also touristy, but in a charming sort of way. It's an old Danish settlement, and there's a lot of Danish boutiques and stores and bakeries in the cute little town. Have lunch at famous Pea Soup Andersen's, and have the pea soup! It's a very typical California thing to do, but in a rather old-fashioned way, like Hearst Castle. And if you have even a hint of Scandinavian blood in you, it's almost mandatory.

2. LACMA, Broad, MOCA-which one(s) to prioritize, which one(s) to cut? Broad seems coolest on paper, but curious about your thoughts. I did the Getty Center last summer and am planning on doing the Getty Villa this summer, as well as some of the art museums in San Francisco (first time visiting!)

Perhaps a native Angeleno like @Californian Elitist could weigh in with thoughts on this? LACMA is wonderful, but it's undergoing a big expansion and refurbishment as I understand, so it may seem messy. Across the street is the Petersen Automotive Museum, which is fabulous if you have boys in the group who are getting antsy or are into cars yourself.

It's been years since I visited MOCA, but I remember being underwhelmed. Or maybe I was just grumpy that day? The Getty is hard to beat, and makes for a tough act for the rest of the LA museum scene, that's for sure.

I've only done the Getty Villa once, and it was a stunning and lovely setting. Don't forget to check at least a month out if reservations are needed, as they often are during peak times. (Or at least they used to be a decade ago.) But you really have to know your Ancient Antiquities eras for the Getty Villa exhibits to make much sense. It's all Greek to me! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

3. Not really SoCal, but Angel Island-I learned about this place in school and am interested in visiting, but information and reviews seem kind of limited compared to, say, Alcatraz. If I'm interested in the history, should I visit? Or should I skip?

I am purposely not Googling that, because I have no idea what Angel Island is. Is that one of the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara? Part of the Channel Islands National Park, perhaps? Otherwise, I'm clueless. I'm not going to Google! I'm going to let someone else fill me in.

No clue, let's hope an Angeleno shows up here. What about that massive/swanky/expensive George Lucas Film Museum they were building across from USC? That should be opening in '23, right? It seems like they've been talking about it for years now.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Not a whole lot, but there's a few small gems. A big chunk of that coast is taken up by Vandenburg Space Force Base, which you can't really enter or enjoy unless you've been selected to go to the Moon. Amtrak's wonderful Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle travels through the base, between the seacliffs and the rockets sitting on their launch pads and it's fabulous, but otherwise it's hard to get in there. Morro Bay is kind of nice; as I remember there's some good seafood restaurants in town. Pismo Beach is also pleasant, but a bit more touristy. At the very least, they are good spots to plan for a nice little lunch and a gas station stop.

That chunk of central California is all just sort of rural, lightly populated coastline that is perfectly entertaining to see from the car as you drive along the rugged coast, enjoying the view and pretending you are starring in a Hertz commercial.

If you see a highway sign for an upcoming Vista Point pulloff, get ready to pull off the highway and take in the view for a couple minutes! And they're great spots for fun family pictures. The Vista Points built along California highways are one of the few times where Sacramento bureaucrats actually know what they're doing. :cool:

ftd-pch-shutterstock_579241192.jpg

Bravo for including Hearst Castle in your itinerary! It's a real marvel. Take the official tour, look at the ballroom and the swanky indoor swimming pool where Charlie Chaplin and other Hollywood royalty played and relaxed, in a gracious era far removed from the Kardashians. It's a gorgeous site with a gorgeous estate. One of those "How did this even get here?!?" type of things. And you'll never look at magazine subscriptions the same way ever again.

Inland a bit north of Santa Barbara there is Solvang. It's also touristy, but in a charming sort of way. It's an old Danish settlement, and there's a lot of Danish boutiques and stores and bakeries in the cute little town. Have lunch at famous Pea Soup Andersen's, and have the pea soup! It's a very typical California thing to do, but in a rather old-fashioned way, like Hearst Castle. And if you have even a hint of Scandinavian blood in you, it's almost mandatory.

Perhaps a native Angeleno like @Californian Elitist could weigh in with thoughts on this? LACMA is wonderful, but it's undergoing a big expansion and refurbishment as I understand, so it may seem messy. Across the street is the Petersen Automotive Museum, which is fabulous if you have boys in the group who are getting antsy or are into cars yourself.

It's been years since I visited MOCA, but I remember being underwhelmed. Or maybe I was just grumpy that day? The Getty is hard to beat, and makes for a tough act for the rest of the LA museum scene, that's for sure.

I've only done the Getty Villa once, and it was a stunning and lovely setting. Don't forget to check at least a month out if reservations are needed, as they often are during peak times. (Or at least they used to be a decade ago.) But you really have to know your Ancient Antiquities eras for the Getty Villa exhibits to make much sense. It's all Greek to me! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I am purposely not Googling that, because I have no idea what Angel Island is. Is that one of the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara? Part of the Channel Islands National Park, perhaps? Otherwise, I'm clueless. I'm not going to Google! I'm going to let someone else fill me in.

No clue, let's hope an Angeleno shows up here. What about that massive/swanky/expensive George Lucas Film Museum they were building across from USC? That should be opening in '23, right? It seems like they've been talking about it for years now.

I actually did Hearst Castle my first California trip that I remember (I was seven or so), but the only thing that stuck with me for the most part were the pools. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with adult eyes.

On a semi-related note: is there anything worthwhile in San Luis Obispo? It seems to be included in a lot of itineraries because "it's a town! On the way!" but similarly seems to have nothing jumping out at me.

Good to know that it's not the worst thing in the world to just drive through parts of the PCH. There's a lot of digital ink spilled on the internet about the PCH and it's all a bit overwhelming because they all say similar things, but are just different enough to be confusing. I'm all for pulling off to scenic view exits and enjoying some natural bits, but I also can get to the point where I'm tired of stopping every two minutes and just want to drive.

Are there any notable non-seafood restaurants?

I might be doing too much art on this trip, because there will be a decent chunk in San Francisco that I'm also aiming to visit, but those three are all right next to each other and seem interesting. I'm considering Petersen and things like the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Japanese American Museum as well.

And apparently D23 is going to be offering tours of the Walt Disney Studio at some point this year. That would be cool, but so far the only information they have is that they are planning to do it eventually. I'm guessing that's a hot "get it the minute it drops" sort of item? Does anyone know the best way to ensure I get tickets, and/if there's been any rhyme or reason to when they're offering these tours historically?

Phroobar

I actually did Hearst Castle my first California trip that I remember (I was seven or so), but the only thing that stuck with me for the most part were the pools. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with adult eyes.

On a semi-related note: is there anything worthwhile in San Luis Obispo? It seems to be included in a lot of itineraries because "it's a town! On the way!" but similarly seems to have nothing jumping out at me.

Good to know that it's not the worst thing in the world to just drive through parts of the PCH. There's a lot of digital ink spilled on the internet about the PCH and it's all a bit overwhelming because they all say similar things, but are just different enough to be confusing. I'm all for pulling off to scenic view exits and enjoying some natural bits, but I also can get to the point where I'm tired of stopping every two minutes and just want to drive.

Are there any notable non-seafood restaurants?

I might be doing too much art on this trip, because there will be a decent chunk in San Francisco that I'm also aiming to visit, but those three are all right next to each other and seem interesting. I'm considering Petersen and things like the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Japanese American Museum as well.

And apparently D23 is going to be offering tours of the Walt Disney Studio at some point this year. That would be cool, but so far the only information they have is that they are planning to do it eventually. I'm guessing that's a hot "get it the minute it drops" sort of item? Does anyone know the best way to ensure I get tickets, and/if there's been any rhyme or reason to when they're offering these tours historically?
SLO is a college town. Cal Poly is there and everything is run by kids. It's a very pretty and expensive place to live. They have a hippy tourist trap downtown. Most people go there just to drop off and pick up their kids. We stayed at a really pretty hotel with detected bungalows. They had the entire complex light up for Christmas. It was really pretty.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I haven’t been to LACMA in years, but that’s because I spent almost my entire childhood there lol. I went to Hancock Park Elementary, which is down the street from LACMA. I’d say 99% of our field trips were there, and we always walked. I’m definitely due for a visit.

I haven’t visited the Academy Museum or the Broad yet. Since I’m local, I haven’t been in a rush to visit lol. I’ve heard nothing but great things about both, though! I live down the street from the upcoming George Lucas Museum, and it’s huge. Looking forward to even more traffic in the area once it opens.

GiveMeTheMusic

I haven’t been to LACMA in years, but that’s because I spent almost my entire childhood there lol. I went to Hancock Park Elementary, which is down the street from LACMA. I’d say 99% of our field trips were there, and we always walked. I’m definitely due for a visit.

I haven’t visited the Academy Museum or the Broad yet. Since I’m local, I haven’t been in a rush to visit lol. I’ve heard nothing but great things about both, though! I live down the street from the upcoming George Lucas Museum, and it’s huge. Looking forward to even more traffic in the area once it opens.

Is LACMA finished yet? They were building a whole new building or something. I found the Academy Museum extremely disappointing. The Broad is fun.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I enjoyed the Academy Museum. A year ago they had a Miyazaki exhibit, which was charming. IMO it's not an essential destination for visitors like LACMA or the Broad, but it's well-executed and an engaging place to spend a few hours. I've heard a lot of LA people clown on the museum; I think it's actually kind of underrated at this point.

My advice to anyone (especially fans of theme parks and/or kitsch) driving from SF to LA is to spend a night at the Madonna Inn.

mickEblu

I can only really help with #1. I did some research a few years ago on a Pacific Coast road trip i never took. I have to find those papers. From Hearst to Santa Barbara if I recall correctly was just smaller “attractions.” Some seafood restaurants, the Madonna Inn and bbq restaurants in Santa Maria come to mind.

GiveMeTheMusic

It’s not. They’re supposed to be finished by 2024.

What was disappointing about the Academy Museum for you?

I found the overall space to be a big letdown. For a museum celebrating the business of make-believe, the joint has the distinct vibe of an office building. There were some really interesting exhibits in the core exhibit space, but not much. I missed the temporary Miyazaki exhibit, which was a bummer as I would have loved that I'm sure. The whole place feels like a big missed opportunity.

Californian Elitist

I found the overall space to be a big letdown. For a museum celebrating the business of make-believe, the joint has the distinct vibe of an office building. There were some really interesting exhibits in the core exhibit space, but not much. I missed the temporary Miyazaki exhibit, which was a bummer as I would have loved that I'm sure. The whole place feels like a big missed opportunity.
Hm, so it’s the aesthetic you didn’t really like? Sounds like they don’t make good use of the space? My friends and I were supposed to catch the Miyazaki exhibit and completely missed it.

I’ll have to make some time to visit the museum. Anyone been to the La Brea Tar Pits recently? I haven’t been there in years either.

GiveMeTheMusic

Hm, so it’s the aesthetic you didn’t really like? Sounds like they don’t make good use of the space? My friends and I were supposed to catch the Miyazaki exhibit and completely missed it.

I’ll have to make some time to visit the museum. Anyone been to the La Brea Tar Pits recently? I haven’t been there in years either.

I thought the exhibits were overall a letdown too. So much to work with, so much history, and it felt very surface and incomplete. And the space sucks.

PiratesMansion

It’s amazing how much of California I have never seen and will likely never seen. I’m still discovering parts of Los Angeles.

@PiratesMansion How long will you be here for? A week or two?
Here's the current (vague) plan:
3-4 Days: San Francisco (all new to me)
Alcatraz, Angel Island?, Fisherman's Wharf (when a tourist...), DeYoung, Walt Disney Family Museum, California Academy of Sciences, SFMOMA, Asian Art Museum, Palace of Fine Arts, Cartoon Art Museum, Musee Mecanique, Exploratorium (worthwhile for adults or not? It's hard to tell).

If I can make it work, I might head over to Oakland for the California Museum.

3 Days: NorCal Parks and vague Bay Area things
California's Great America (Been here, but it's closing and I have a few missed roller coasters), SF Discovery Kingdom (not expecting anything here, but I'm a completionist, so...), Gilroy Gardens, Winchester Mystery House

PCH (? days-everything basically new to me except the Boardwalk and Hearst Castle):
Santa Cruz: Boardwalk (mostly interested in a few dark rides I didn't get to last time), the train that goes up into the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mystery Spot
Monterrey: Aquarium, I think the 17 mile drive is in this area? Random touristy stuff.
Big Sur: Pfeiffer State Park is the most interesting sounding stop?
Hearst Castle
Santa Barbara: Mission and exploring (I know that there are a lot of other missions in CA but this seems like the biggest deal. Is it worth seeing multiple missions or will I feel like been there, done that after awhile?

LA/OC Theme Parks (7 days...this is what I do, folks):
USH for SNW
Knott's
DLR 5 days

I have about seven days, not including the ones set aside for theme parks, that I can divide between the PCH and/or non-theme park LA. Right now for PCH I'm thinking a day for Santa Cruz, one for Monterrey, one for Big Sur, one for Hearst Castle, and one for Santa Barbara. So that's five. There will be some time in there to be spontaneous too hopefully. There are just so many different opinions on how to do PCH that it's overwhelming. Is five days too much? Too little? Just right? It's hard to tell.

I will say that, though better than I used to be, travel for me has typically been more about the destination rather than the journey, which may be part of the reason I'm struggling with PCH specifically. I'm not really a beach person. While I'm increasingly enjoying natural sites, wandering around towns, and things like that, I will probably reach a point each day where I'll be tired of stopping the car and getting out to hike, take pictures, or explore. Also not much of a shopper unless I need a specific item or I find a cool souvenir from a place I visited.

I'd like to hit at least some of the museums in LA, but realistically I'll be close to LA again on my next Disneyland visit and the PCH, while something I'm looking forward to and am very excited about, is unlikely to be something I'll do again. So if it becomes a question of weighing out PCH vs. LA time, PCH should probably win, but like I said, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much time is the right amount to do PCH justice without it being overkill.

@GiveMeTheMusic That's a bummer about the academy museum. At least it seems like something that'll be easy to cross off my list.

@Parteecia I did the La Brea Tar Pits a few years ago and loved it!

@Ne'er-Do-Well Cad and @mickEblu those restaurants sound amazing!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom