The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

PiratesMansion

Good news: through D23, I will get to tour the Disney Studio when I visit in July!

Unfortunately, the timing options weren't the best: 1, 1:30, 2, or 2:30 were my choices. I chose 2:30 ultimately because I figured it would allow the most time to do something beforehand in the morning, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, in part because so many LA attractions are clustered near each other and it would seem more efficient to knock them out in one go rather than hitting one now and coming back for the others later. But that might end up being the best option given the circumstances.

It is also unclear how long the Disney Studio tour actually is on the D23 website (does anyone know?) I'm assuming we're walking/standing the whole time, but if I'm wrong, let me know!

Additional relevant context: still recovering from my ankle injury. I can walk/stand relatively normally now, so long as my ankle doesn't randomly act up. I've been making a lot of progress, but have also been told by my doctor that I can't really exercise or push myself too much beyond what I need to do to get around at work or at home. Hopefully that will change soon, but there may or may not be a ton of time to get my stamina back up to what it was pre-accident, depending on what I'm told and when.

Given that and the seemingly rare (?) opportunity to tour the Disney Studio, that would get priority for the day. But assuming I could handle doing someting else before/after the tour, what would be the best option among these?:

1. Sandwich the tour with Universal (I already had a full day planned, but the location alone relative to the Disney Studios means this might make more sense than most other options; can't really justify Warners Tour at this time after having done VIP last year and the regular tour a few other times and w/ Disney Studios & Universal being visited this trip). Leaning towards this because I could get a two day pass and then leave Uni on Tuesday once I'm finished with it and then go do something else. Vaguely worried about stamina though when combined w/ Disney Studio Tour.
2. Do an abbreviated Hollywood "highlights" visit: thinking the Hollywood Forever cemetary and/or the Hollywood Museum? Both seem interesting, though I admit I am a little skeptical of the merits of visiting Hollywood.
3. Head over to and do one of Petersen/Academy Museum? Going to wait out LACMA, and did the Tar Pits a few years ago.
4. Something else?

Museum opening times appear to be 10 AM on average.

As I'm going on Monday, a few nearby options that seemed viable on paper are closed (Observatory, Autry). The LA Zoo looks hilly, but maybe that's a false impression?

Downtown has a lot of interesting-looking options, but seems too far away on the map from WDS, unless it's less far away than I'm imagining?

Non-SoCal question: Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz-sounds like it would normally a blast, but apparently I would need to walk up a 55 degree angle and deal with other uneven surfaces. So I'm strongly suspecting this isn't in my best interest right now, but am seeking confirmation of that fact and/or info about what to expect.

Phroobar

The Observatory can be hard because of the small amount of parking. The street up the hill for it is lined with parked cars. You can park at the buttom at the park and take the shuttle but it can take an hour. You could walk it but it is rather steep climb.

How about the Getty? You might need reservations but you get to park under the 405 freeway and take a monorail up.

iu

PiratesMansion

The Observatory can be hard because of the small amount of parking. The street up the hill for it is lined with parked cars. You can park at the buttom at the park and take the shuttle but it can take an hour. You could walk it but it is rather steep climb.

How about the Getty? You might need reservations but you get to park under the 405 freeway and take a monorail up.

iu
Observatory is closed that day (Monday).

I did the Getty last year. I'm interested in doing the Villa, but I don't know if it's the best choice for my parameters above because of where it is.

Parteecia

Good news: through D23, I will get to tour the Disney Studio when I visit in July!

Unfortunately, the timing options weren't the best: 1, 1:30, 2, or 2:30 were my choices. I chose 2:30 ultimately because I figured it would allow the most time to do something beforehand in the morning, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, in part because so many LA attractions are clustered near each other and it would seem more efficient to knock them out in one go rather than hitting one now and coming back for the others later. But that might end up being the best option given the circumstances.

It is also unclear how long the Disney Studio tour actually is on the D23 website (does anyone know?) I'm assuming we're walking/standing the whole time, but if I'm wrong, let me know!

Additional relevant context: still recovering from my ankle injury. I can walk/stand relatively normally now, so long as my ankle doesn't randomly act up. I've been making a lot of progress, but have also been told by my doctor that I can't really exercise or push myself too much beyond what I need to do to get around at work or at home. Hopefully that will change soon, but there may or may not be a ton of time to get my stamina back up to what it was pre-accident, depending on what I'm told and when.

Given that and the seemingly rare (?) opportunity to tour the Disney Studio, that would get priority for the day. But assuming I could handle doing someting else before/after the tour, what would be the best option among these?:

1. Sandwich the tour with Universal (I already had a full day planned, but the location alone relative to the Disney Studios means this might make more sense than most other options; can't really justify Warners Tour at this time after having done VIP last year and the regular tour a few other times and w/ Disney Studios & Universal being visited this trip). Leaning towards this because I could get a two day pass and then leave Uni on Tuesday once I'm finished with it and then go do something else. Vaguely worried about stamina though when combined w/ Disney Studio Tour.
2. Do an abbreviated Hollywood "highlights" visit: thinking the Hollywood Forever cemetary and/or the Hollywood Museum? Both seem interesting, though I admit I am a little skeptical of the merits of visiting Hollywood.
3. Head over to and do one of Petersen/Academy Museum? Going to wait out LACMA, and did the Tar Pits a few years ago.
4. Something else?

As I'm going on Monday, a few nearby options that seemed viable on paper are closed (Observatory, Autry). The LA Zoo looks hilly, but maybe that's a false impression?

Downtown has a lot of interesting-looking options, but seems too far away on the map from WDS, unless it's less far away than I'm imagining?

Non-SoCal question: Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz-sounds like it would normally a blast, but apparently I would need to walk up a 55 degree angle and deal with other uneven surfaces. So I'm strongly suspecting this isn't in my best interest right now, but am seeking confirmation of that fact and/or info about what to expect.
You could do the tram at Uni, no walking during it. Most of your suggestions are far enough with unpredictable traffic to make me too nervous about getting to the studio in time.

Ask about ADA accommodations?

And yes, I am envious.

Phroobar

Observatory is closed that day (Monday).

I did the Getty last year. I'm interested in doing the Villa, but I don't know if it's the best choice for my parameters above because of where it is.
The Villa might work if you can get the reservation. It is a little far though.
You could always hang out at Sherman Oaks Galleria.

iu

Communicora

Premium Member

4. Something else?

Do you like space stuff? We enjoyed seeing the space shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center. It was fun to also get a peek through the fences at the old coliseum.

Nirya

The LA Zoo is absurdly hilly, which would be less of an issue if it wasn't also a bad zoo. They clearly don't care enough to make it even close to what San Diego has in quality.

Uni probably makes the most sense. A lot of stuff is further away and with your time slot, you're basically just getting an abbreviated visit instead of an actual one.

Phroobar

The LA Zoo is absurdly hilly, which would be less of an issue if it wasn't also a bad zoo. They clearly don't care enough to make it even close to what San Diego has in quality.

Uni probably makes the most sense. A lot of stuff is further away and with your time slot, you're basically just getting an abbreviated visit instead of an actual one.
The traffic getting to those other places in the same day will be crazy. There is an original Tommy's near Universal that I like for dinner after a day in the park.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

4. Something else?

A few suggestions:

1) Academy Museum - unfortunately this is a hop skip and a jump away from Burbank and could be the hardest to get to in LA traffic so I may suggest skipping this as you’ll run afoul of the operating hours. But it’s an option if you wanted to hit in the morning at opening but I’d give yourself a healthy 90 minute block of time to travel across town.

2) see a movie at the Universal/AMC IMAX or the Chinese theater (the latter of which is in the “heart of the action” though Hollywood is not what it’s cracked up to be). These are both “true IMAX” theaters that are a great place to rest your ankle and get out of the sun. Also the burger place (25 degrees) at the Hollywood Rosevelt Hotel across the way from the Chinese theater is pretty good and head and shoulders above anything at Citywalk.

3) hit a couple of the “classic” locations in the area. This includes the original Bob’s Big Boy, the miniature train and Carousel at Griffith Park that inspired Walt to build Disneyland, and the Tam O’ Shanter for dinner (you can always try to ask for the famous “Walt table” with the carvings in it though it’s hard to get). This would be a good way to “round out” a tour of the studio.

Californian Elitist

4. Something else?

What about catching a show at the Hollywood Bowl? Not sure if that would be too much on your ankle, but that may be worth looking into.

I hope you enjoy the Studios!

Nirya

The traffic getting to those other places in the same day will be crazy. There is an original Tommy's near Universal that I like for dinner after a day in the park.
There's like 2 near Universal, the one in Hollywood that gets pretty busy, and then the one up the 134 that is usually pretty empty.

PiratesMansion

Looks like Universal's the best option for my circumstances. I'll probably start there, then head over to Disney Studios, then perhaps even head back to Universal afterwards if stamina permits. If not, I can just come back the next day on a two day ticket.

Perhaps then I could do something else on Day 2 if I finish Universal early and the ankle cooperates.

Very excited about the Disney tour!

What is Tommy's?

Californian Elitist

Looks like Universal's the best option for my circumstances. I'll probably start there, then head over to Disney Studios, then perhaps even head back to Universal afterwards if stamina permits. If not, I can just come back the next day on a two day ticket.

Perhaps then I could do something else on Day 2 if I finish Universal early and the ankle cooperates.

Very excited about the Disney tour!

What is Tommy's?
Tommy’s is a local Los Angeles staple. The original location was built in the 1940s and is especially popular after a Dodger’s game. They’re famous for their chili cheese dogs and burgers. The chili will probably send you to the toilet lol. If you decide to go, don’t get a regular burger. For whatever reasons, they don’t season their patties. The chili gives it the flavor. The hot dogs, on the other hand, are yummy. They are big, though.

The original location is charming. There are no tables and chairs, only standing areas.

TP2000

I did the Getty Villa once. And only once. Don't get me wrong, it's hillside Malibu locale is gorgeous. The facility is also spectacular, an eclectic yet cohesive blend of 20th century faux old and 21st century legitimately new. And the operation of the entire facility is crisp and stylish, thanks to all that money from Getty Oil.

Getty-Villa_2B819A7D-9D27-4D6B-8F88F504B5ED7534_1e178b75-cb44-4bf6-8e733126e542f7ac.jpg

But unless you are truly interested in antiquities, and you're someone who can tell your Early Etruscan from your Mid Grecian, it quickly all just becomes a blur of marble columns and horse statues and carvings of naked ladies who have unfortunately lost their toga.

Alas, I am one of those dolts that can not tell my Etruscan from my Grecian, so I became bored about 45 minutes after arrival. But you're supposed to spend at least two or three hours there wandering through all the galleries and pavilions. I never went back. I mostly remember seeking out the cafe' for a nice salad and a Pellegrino on the sun-dappled patio. But I love that it's there as an option, because it's gorgeous and professionally operated, and I'm sure there's some folks out there much smarter than I who appreciate it's incredible collection of antiquities and irreplaceable artifacts.

But for me, I'm happy just going to the regular Getty Museum every half decade or so. And I always quietly thank Getty Oil on the ghostly white monorail ride up the hill to the museum.

Tram-06.jpg

Last edited:

DLR92

Logistically, the Hollywood Bowl is a real pain to get to, and maneuver through, and exit and somehow get home from.

But when you are there, it can be magic. So long as the performer is a personal favorite of yours. For me personally, I am forever thankful that I once saw Diana Krall and Diana Ross (not on the same night obviously) at the Hollywood Bowl.

But parking is a nightmare, and getting out of there you take your life in your hands literally standing 12 inches or less from passing buses belching diesel fumes in your face. It's amazing to me that their exit logistics are tolerated, let alone even legal. But then, it's Hollywood!
I have a friend who live 15 minutes away from the bowl. Oh my lord, IT. IS. AN. PAIN. to drive around when their event happening. I got stuck for over an hour to get on the freeway to home! It worse to deal with the confused driving tourist too.

Phroobar

If we are limiting ourselves to the San Fernando valley, there is the Leonis Adobe in Calabasas. This museum embodies ranch living in 1800s California, teaching visitors about the lifestyle, décor, farming and food through interactive activities, often in the form of grinding corn and making delicious fresh tortillas and churning butter.

Wat Thai Temple. This Buddhist temple is open for visitation and prayers, providing a gorgeous spot for both serenity and an appreciation of the beauty of Thai architecture and culture. On the weekends the temple hosts a food fair in the courtyard, offering visitors a taste of authentic and savory Thai food.

North Hollywood Arts District. Colloquially known as NoHo, the area was once run down and did not reflect its glamorous namesake. In recent years however, the city has seen a revitalization and restoration in the form of theaters like the El Portal Theatre and The NoHo Arts Center, comedy clubs like the Acme Comedy Theatre, and trendy bars like The Federal. A niche for the valley’s artsy crowd, the area serves as a hot spot of creativity and expression, with bright lights and city entertainment enough to make this area a must see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom