The "Hurry up and reopen the Adventurers Club Thread" per Lee's request.

KingFishMouse

Why haven't they taken down the club signs and started tearing them down yet. I mean it has been months since all the clubs have been shut down. What are they waiting for. I mean I do not want them to tear em down, but why haven't they?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Why haven't they taken down the club signs and started tearing them down yet. I mean it has been months since all the clubs have been shut down. What are they waiting for. I mean I do not want them to tear em down, but why haven't they?
When it was closed they announced that the club still had bookings for private parties well into 2009. I suspect they won't tear anything down until those commitments have been met.

CaptainMichael

When it was closed they announced that the club still had bookings for private parties well into 2009. I suspect they won't tear anything down until those commitments have been met.

The last booking was allegedly for the Superbowl (Feb 1). In December, it was announced that they would accept (new) reservations through October. Who's to say they won't extend it again.

s8film40

A quick bit of "real" news, not about the Club sadly but at least about the man who was its soul...

Karl Anthony (the Fletcher Hodges pictured above) is doing stand-up performances this Friday and Saturday at the Bokerz in the Ramada Inn on 192. 8:00 pm start, doors open at 7. $6 cover ($10 for couples).

Thanks for the info. I just got back from the show, he was great! It is very evident that it was the talented actors that made the club as great as it was.

SteampunkKiasyd

My e-mail letter (Subj: Please Reopen the Adventurers Club)

Dear Disney Executives:

I am highly disappointed in the decision by the Walt Disney Company to close down Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney in the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista. I first visited Pleasure Island during its fifth year of operation, back in 1994, while I was stationed at the now-defunct Naval Training Center Orlando in Winter Park. During that visit, I went to the Adventurers Club and absolutely fell in love with the whole premise of the club. As a roleplayer and a fan of pulp-adventure novels and films, I really enjoyed being able to go to a "period" nightclub with all of its quirky mythological and fantasy touches and really feel immersed in the setting. After a few visits, I bought an annual pass to Pleasure Island (at the military discount rate), and most weekend nights I attended the events at the Adventurers Club, forming friendships with cast members and even meeting a woman that I nearly married (who was on vacation from Maryland). After I transferred up to Great Lakes, IL, and on to the Second Fleet, any time I was home in Florida, I made sure to take a trip to Pleasure Island and the Adventurers Club with my friends from West Palm Beach. I even took my second (and current) wife there on our honeymoon.

I really enjoyed the attention to detail that was given to every aspect of the club. Every cast member, whether a character, door attendant, or bartender, truly appeared to enjoy his or her job, and ALWAYS stayed in character. By the very nature of the club, there was a lot of ad-libbing going on, but even that was in-character. The way they got the guests involved in the show was priceless as well. I remember going to the Adventurers Club with my best friend and his cousin shortly before Christmas in 1996, when I was home on leave from my ship. The cast members playing Pamelia Perkins, Samantha Sterling, and... I think it was Dottie Lama... were leading the guests in the club (there weren't many that night, being so close to Christmas) in a medley of Christmas carols in the Main Salon. When they asked for carol requests, I piped up with one I knew from my childhood -- a parody of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" -- that brought fits of giggles and laughter from the cast and my fellow guests:
Please rest, ye grumpy gentlemen
Will nothing make you smile?
"That tree is much too old," you groan,
"That wreath is out of style!"
Your present to us all could be
To put to rest a while
Your chidings of bothersome noise
Bothersome noise
Your chidings of bothersome noise.

I can still perform the club salute, recite the club creed, and sing the club theme song -- they've become an indelible mark in my memory that I will cherish forever. My wife really enjoyed herself there as well, and when I heard that Pleasure Island was closing, we'd hoped to go one last time before the gates closed. Alas, it was not to be; work schedules and apartment issues prevented that from happening. I haven't been back to the Walt Disney World Resort since then, and as much as I enjoy the theme parks, without the Adventurers Club, I might not return there, either.

Please reconsider the decision to close the Adventurers Club and reopen it, with or without Pleasure Island. While I enjoyed the Comedy Warehouse and might have enjoyed the Pleasure Island Jazz Company when it was open if there had been music the couple of times I popped in there while waiting for the Adventurers Club to open, the other clubs (Mannequins, Rock & Roll Beach Club, the Neon Armadillo/BET Sound Stage, 8-Trax/CAGE) never really did anything for me. But the Adventurers Club was the whole reason I bought the annual pass to Pleasure Island, and the whole reason I went there as often as I could when I was no longer stationed in Orlando.

Sincerely,

Sean Rickmeyer

CaptainMichael

Dear Kevin,
I recently returned from a family trip to Walt Disney World. Sadly, the resort as a whole seems to have lost some of its magic for us. Two years ago, I discovered the Adventurers Club and fell in love with it. I was hoping to share it with my family, but sadly, the Adventurers Club is no longer open. This was and is unfortunate for many reasons. First of all, and most importantly, the Adventurers Club was one of the few truly unique, immersive, Disney experiences on property for adults to enjoy. My family has the reached the point where we are all old enough to experience the wonders of the Adventurers Club and Pleasure Island. Secondly, Downtown Disney as a whole now suffers due to Pleasure Island basically being a ghost town. My sister and I spent one night there, and it has lost its magic and atmosphere. Pleasure Island was the only significantly “Disney” area in Downtown Disney. Sure, that sounds weird on the surface, but when you think about it, Pleasure Island was the only area of Downtown Disney to have a backstory, theming, and unique entertainment. Where can you experience a 1937 Gentlemen’s club with endearing, amazing characters? The answer used to be Downtown Disney. Finally, on our trip, everything in Walt Disney World basically closed around 9:30 pm. Pleasure Island was a place that I would go to after the parks were closed. Now, I do not have that option. I was forced to seek out entertainment off property. I would have preferred to spend my nights and my money at the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse and have the option of taking the bus safely back to my resort. Sadly, it looks like my family and I will be spending less time at Walt Disney World whenever we return unless some things change. We miss the little things that made the resort special. The Adventurers Club and Pleasure Island were full of those little things.

In conclusion, I am very upset and disheartened that Pleasure Island was shut down, and it is my sincere hope and wish that it will one day reopen. If my family and I are any indication, there is a market for adult, yet Disneyesque entertainment in Walt Disney World. Pleasure Island was the crown of Downtown Disney, and the Adventurers Club was its jewel. We are not looking for more shopping and dining, we are looking for the little things that used to separate Disney from its competitors.
Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.
Kungaloosh,

An Adventurer

chaggy102

Hard to believe about this time 6 months ago I was leaving the club for the final time...been a quick 6 months...I just hope the lifesupport will be able to keep the AC alive.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I made this for a thread that got deleted, but I still think it's interesting.

The argument was that PI was in the wrong location. My answer was going to be that it was a result of poor planning, but that there were options to remedy the situation, without shuttering the whole location.

For example. Using maybe up to half of the parking lot for PI, widen the sidewalk that goes around PI to accommodate more people (in blue) and add some shopping venues to distract people who didn't like PI(in green). Sure some parking is lost next to PI, but there is plenty of unused parking further to the west.

Gahh, we cant post photos in this sub forum! :mad:

OK... linky

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w356/unkadug/PI_Bypass.jpg?t=1238632564

CaptainMichael

I made this for a thread that got deleted, but I still think it's interesting.

The argument was that PI was in the wrong location. My answer was going to be that it was a result of poor planning, but that there were options to remedy the situation, without shuttering the whole location.

For example. Using maybe up to half of the parking lot for PI, widen the sidewalk that goes around PI to accommodate more people (in blue) and add some shopping venues to distract people who didn't like PI(in green). Sure some parking is lost next to PI, but there is plenty of unused parking further to the west.

Gahh, we cant post photos in this sub forum! :mad:

OK... linky

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w356/unkadug/PI_Bypass.jpg?t=1238632564

Everyone would have won in this scenario:(

FantasiaBish

Original Poster
Got this in an update from the yahoo group... Didn't realize it was in the "save the Adv Club" thread...

No warrantees implied or given on this one. Simply a copy/paste from another forum.

Enjoy:

Big announcement from mark kohl

----------------------------------------------------------

My DW and I were on the Disney Magic the last 7 days and our guest speaker was Mark Kohl, Director of Resort Development, Walt Disney Imagineering.

Just some quick background....

The two lectures explored his career and the current projects going on throughout the world. There was nothing "NEW" in the presentations and during the Q&A he was unable to speak to the future projects at the resort. He is the big cheese of Downtown Disney and when asked about the Adventures Club he was as tight lipped as possible.

Here is a little gist of this part of the Q&A...

Women in the back: (Yelling) ADVENTURERs CLUB!!!!!! (No question, just statement)

MK: (Laughing, with a big grin on his face) Yes, the Adventurers Club. All I can say is there is going to be a huge announcement in 30 to 60 days. (Still Grinning)

Man in the back: What is the Adventurer's Club?

MK: My favorite club in Downtown Disney.

Women in the back: It looks like you could open the doors and walk right in, nothing has changed since it closed.

MK: Yep, All I can say is that there is going to be an announcement soon. (Still Grinning - Almost Uncontrollably)

End Scene

sakraft1

Yes, the Adventurers Club. All I can say is there is going to be a huge announcement in 30 to 60 days. (Still Grinning)

Well, by my reckoning it has been about 60 days since this message first appeared on the internet (although I don't think I was able to track down the very first original message), and still no news that I've heard...

sakraft1

Adventurers Club to open in Hong Kong

Disneyland Hong Kong is getting three new lands. One of them, Mystic Point, seems like it will be a cross between the Haunted Mansion and The Adventurers Club.

"Guests can dine at the Adventurer’s Club amid a vast collection of unusual artifacts from around the world or purchase exclusive curiosities and collectibles at the Archive Shop."

Read more now:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

IROC it

We all know how trustworthy any old Cm's word is... but... having said that:

While we were in "The World" from 8/1 - 8/15 we stopped over at Downtown a couple of times... And to cut to the chase, more than one cast member said we "shouldn't lose hope" about AC... that "all of the stuff is still in there" and that they had "heard rumors" that the "stuff is still there for good reason." They basically implied a reopening was in the works, perhaps, if only, for seasonal (holiday?) occasions.

Anyway... most of the PI area looks the same, just shut down.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I thought I'd share.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom