The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

2thDr

It's the NOT actual "talking robot" that people will fight over. This has nothing to do with Disney either. People are going to fight and argue about the "symbolic figure" in front of them. They are going to use the public nature of the "occasion" to voice themselves one way or the other. If this was a private statue in an unknown alleyway somewhere, nobody would care. Unfortunately, this is a symbolic (talking) statue in one of the most globally prominent destinations presented by the largest media company in the world.

This is an opportunity for some people to make a name for themselves and be seen/heard around the world....causing whatever drama they can create. It's a "I have a message for everyone watching" type mentality.

Let's see if people can even tolerate the political shirts and hats that people will bring....

I can just see a "pro" and "anti" person with their shirts on display pressed up against each other waiting to get in. And heaven forbid if they wind up sitting next to each other during the speech.

CT
I expect that any misbehavior won't happen inside the Hall, but in the crowds entering and exiting, where discussion will happen, comments will be overheard, and physicality may ensue.

Old Mouseketeer

Number 4 seems like a preventive measure to protect their property.
Number 5 seems like a reinforcement of 4, and a security measure to protect other guests if the situation gets out of hand.
Not sure how or why that would exacerbate the situation. Disney's own 4-keys state "Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency", so I see items 4/5 hitting at least the Safety and Show. Not having someone in there to monitor and control the situation would be reckless, maybe even negligent and open them up to a potential lawsuit if things were to get out of hand.

I wonder what their procedure will be if they have an incident during a show. Full stop, lights on, additional security? Recycle all guests except those who were disruptive?

Excellent breakdown. If the model of larger rides is followed, I would guess that there would be a spiel over the PA telling people to stop the disruption "for the enjoyment of all our guests. I'll be surprised if there isn't broad video surveillance of the audience. For major disruptions including throwing of objects, I suspect your last scenario will apply. They may even treat throwing of trash or other projectiles as the equivalent of "guest out of bounds" which can get you thrown out of the park.

I wonder if the "security booth" is actually staffed by resort security or is the equivalent of the "tower" control station at major attractions. Typically this station includes video monitors, alarms for motion detectors and sensors, and ultimate level of ride control. Even if this is the case, I would not be surprised if there were security present during the initial opening period. I know I wouldn't want to be on the opening attraction crew for love or money.

lostpro9het

Okay...adding emotions into the mix - if everyone allowed their emotions to dictate their every move, you do realize that there would be nothing but chaos, right? Our ability to have emotions, yet not allow them to control our behavior is what makes civility possible.
HA! Your post made me think about a park full of Phineas Gages running amok!!

It would be akin to an animal rights activist making a scene at Splash Mountain.
Or better yet, the NAACP #songofthesouth

AEfx

Emotions do not have a particular time and place. If you feel them you have them. There should never be a boundary.

Well that's the conundrum our culture faces right now.

It isn't about what emotions you feel, it's how you express them.

We seem to have lost sight of the fact that people used to be expected to have some measure of control over how they express their emotions. We seem to accept rather extreme reactions because the line between those two things has been blurred by people who want an excuse to act on whatever impulse they have.

It's like burping. Some people feel one coming on, and open up their mouth and let it rip wherever they are and whomever they are with. Some people keep their mouth closed and cover it with their hand so as not to make themselves a spectacle.

Bender123

HA! Your post made me think about a park full of Phineas Gages running amok!!

Or better yet, the NAACP #songofthesouth

That movie is, still, weird... a lot of the hate for it comes from people not realizing its reconstruction era and not pre civil war. Its a strange product of its time, that got a condemnation from the NAACP before it was even seen, backtracked on the criticism, then criticized for stereotyping and then bashed on all sides for being either insanely racist from a northern view to encouraging racial cooperation from the south.

AEfx

The site owner and the mods have been pretty vocal on this thread to keep politics out of it.Posters are repeatedly ignoring the request.

I've seen some go there, but they have largely been dealt with - the nice thing about how this site is moderated is that they are generally rather reasonable and understand that we may teeter near that line, but to not have references to "politics" period, we are not going being able to discuss this topic at all. In this case, the majority of the posts are on the topic of the impact this is going to have when it opens, which is both relevant, topical, and, some of us would argue - rather important.

There is a difference between discussing the undeniable political aspects to this versus expressing political views. I realize some have veered closer to the latter, mostly in passing, but most have stayed with the former. Which is why I am rather proud of being a long-time member of this site, because I think we have done very, very well considering how long this discussion has gone on so far.

[Edit: Though, reading the last page or two, I do agree a reminder and some removal of a few posts is probably in order...LOL.]

AEfx

Following info based on very good source....

4. A “safety screen” has been installed to protect the center stage animatronics (including Trump). Anyone or anything flying at the stage will immediately cause it to be deployed.
5. A security booth which will at least initially be manned has been added to the far side of the stage.

Apparently #4 and 5 have been necessitated by a number of “threats” Disney has received and in an abundance of caution to prevent any incidents between guests. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Well, it seems as if some of us who have been warning about this possibility may be well-founded - or at least, Disney sees the same large possibility we do of inevitable attempts to disrupt the show.

I think it also explains how long it has taken - that screen sounds rather complex and took some engineering.

Now, I'm going to just put on my "Disney geek" hat here and say - am I a terrible person to admit my first thought reading this was of hoping we see a video at least once of the screen "deploying"? Because that sounds really frigging cool from a technical standpoint. It must be very fast to be able to stop a projectile, it sounds fascinating...Anyone know of a similar system we can look at, or was this Disney purpose built/engineered?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, it seems as if some of us who have been warning about this possibility may be well-founded - or at least, Disney sees the same large possibility we do of inevitable attempts to disrupt the show.

I think it also explains how long it has taken - that screen sounds rather complex and took some engineering.

Now, I'm going to just put on my "Disney geek" hat here and say - am I a terrible person to admit my first thought reading this was of hoping we see a video at least once of the screen "deploying"? Because that sounds really frigging cool from a technical standpoint. It must be very fast to be able to stop a projectile, it sounds fascinating...Anyone know of a similar system we can look at, or was this Disney purpose built/engineered?
Sadly,it’s probably only as fast as the poor college student assigned to sit there and push a button if something is thrown;). I hope they don’t need to use it, but if they do I am with you, I definitely want to see the video.

AEfx

Sadly,it’s probably only as fast as the poor college student assigned to sit there and push a button if something is thrown;). I hope they don’t need to use it, but if they do I am with you, I definitely want to see the video.

Actually, it sounds like it is automatic. Like, it senses something pass an invisible barrier and automatically deploys. That's why I think it sounds pretty cool. :)

There are millions of dollars of animatronics on that stage - I can't blame them for taking what sounds like pretty extreme measures.

@marni1971 - do you know anything about this yet???

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually, it sounds like it is automatic. Like, it senses something pass an invisible barrier and automatically deploys. That's why I think it sounds pretty cool. :)

There are millions of dollars of animatronics on that stage - I can't blame them for taking what sounds like pretty extreme measures.

I was talking about the options just last night. Whilst I don’t have specifics it’s all a possibility.

wdwgreek

Everyone thought Obama was polarizing, and in Jan 2016 I saw the ride. I enjoyed it, but had to live with a bit of booing and heckling, not just of Obama, but of the last few commentary presidents. I only hope people would learn to respect the presidency. It is larger than one man, and this attraction show cases the presidency very well.
You know just to mess with people, I want to boo some random president like Benjamin Harrison and yell keep the gold standard gold and then cheer McKinley, just really throw people off.

Princess Leia

You know just to mess with people, I want to boo some random president like Benjamin Harrison and yell keep the gold standard gold and then cheer McKinley, just really throw people off.
Some quotes from Hamilton to heckle background presidents:
“Sit down, John, you fat motherBLEEP”
“Madison, you’re mad as a hatter so take your medicine. Damn you’re in worse shape than the national debt is in.”
“Thomas, that was a real nice Declaration, welcome to the present, we’re running a real nation.”

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Number 4 seems like a preventive measure to protect their property.
Number 5 seems like a reinforcement of 4, and a security measure to protect other guests if the situation gets out of hand.
Not sure how or why that would exacerbate the situation. Disney's own 4-keys state "Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency", so I see items 4/5 hitting at least the Safety and Show. Not having someone in there to monitor and control the situation would be reckless, maybe even negligent and open them up to a potential lawsuit if things were to get out of hand.

I wonder what their procedure will be if they have an incident during a show. Full stop, lights on, additional security? Recycle all guests except those who were disruptive?

Wasn't needed before. Not needed now. It's a AA show not a rock concert. It's already implied that you must respect Disney property and your fellow parkgoers. Failure to do that is met with appropriate consequences. This is overkill and unnecessary. A posted sign would also work as would additional training for cast members. This is a silly knee jerk reaction and bad show.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

When the other poster said this:
A “safety screen” has been installed to protect the center stage animatronics (including Trump). Anyone or anything flying at the stage will immediately cause it to be deployed.
I assumed the mechanism of “cause it to be deployed” was that someone manually pushes a button...most likely the poor guy stuck in the newly added security booth. An automatic barrier sounds cool too in theory, but it seems like a bit of overkill to me and I would worry about unnecessary false positives that would cause it to be triggered. I am interested to see how this all turns out.

peter11435

Wasn't needed before. Not needed now. It's a AA show not a rock concert. It's already implied that you must respect Disney property and your fellow parkgoers. Failure to do that is met with appropriate consequences. This is overkill and unnecessary. A posted sign would also work as would additional training for cast members. This is a silly knee jerk reaction and bad show.
Posted signs don't really accomplish much. We can't really say any of it is 'bad show' until we see how it is implemented.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would imagine an infrared grid near the front of the stage that when it detects something large enough, high speed pneumatic pistons pull up a gauzy screen that's right in front of the AAs. I'm pretty sure they can make it fast enough. Not sure they can make it quiet enough that it won't wake up everyone.

Cliff

So let's realistically guess of what we can expect.....

Very commom - Light grumbling and "eye rolling" and head shaking and nodding.

Common - Light but audible sneers, jeers and boos and reactive had clapping.

Less common - Heckling, and quick "shout out" comments and louder "boos" or "Yeah!" type things.

Ocassional - Mild political debates in the lobby and outside between "pro" and "anti" guests.

Rare - STRONG vocal disagreements between "pro" and "anti" guests...possibly loud displays....finger point and cursing.

Rare - People throwing food or other objects at the Animatronic. Laser pointers to ruin the show. (young people)

Very rare but statistically inevitable - Guest deliberately causing a scene to be dragged out by force on video to get famous. (United Airlines style)

That's how I see this in today's "I want to be famous on social media and TV" day and age.

This sucks.....and Disney is caught in the very middle of this.

CT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom