The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NearTheEars

When I was little, my mom would threaten to make me sit through the Hall of Presidents if I had poor behavior. This shell of an attraction is boring, the format is unengaging, the roll call prompts reaction, and overall, it does nothing to spark an interest in history. You have to make noise every once in a while just to check that you're still alive. Why not present history through action on stage? Heck, how about a presidential rap battle? A dance battle? A comedy thing? The bigger problem we have is not a lack of access to information, it's a lack of desire to learn that information. Get people interested.

The only reason this hasn't been shuttered or fundamentally changed, I suspect, is because they're holding off for the future. You bet the 2020 election refurbishment will see the seats replaced with pews so that we can worship at the heels of President Bob Iger. It won't be hard to turn him into an animatronic, all they have to do is make a copy of the current one.

I actually found the message and overall show in its last incarnation to be quite powerful and relevant.
I guess that was lost on you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Conversely, "the resistance" would adore a clip of Disney dragging an anti-Trump activist out of the theater, proving how "the man" is working for him.
Agreed. I think it would play well on either side. The pro-Trump supporter being dragged out just has the added sensationalism of it being a Disney employee and Disney has been called out as the enemy.

Cliff

Agreed. I think it would play well on either side. The pro-Trump supporter being dragged out just has the added sensationalism of it being a Disney employee and Disney has been called out as the enemy.

I hope this NEVER happens,...but I positively guarantee that any Trump supporter with shirt and hat that is dragged out of the HoP kicking and screaming at the top of his/her lungs...on 25 cell phone cameras.....[sigh]....WILL absolutely make the GLOBAL nightly news...and even could incite Trump himself with flaming tweets the next morning.

I can imagine the tweets now; "Why did Disney violently drag one of my supporters out of HoP yesterday?,..this is terrible and they should be ashamed of this...disgusting!"

Does everybody remember what happened to United Airlines this year?

Uggg........

21stamps

I actually found the message and overall show in its last incarnation to be quite powerful and relevant.
I guess that was lost on you.

I think many forget that there are still quite a large amount of people who don’t need the muppets to teach us history.. or to enjoy a show without a sensational make-believe aspect.

Following info based on very good source....
1. HoP will be reopening very soon.
2. Completely revamped show.
3. Trump will recite the oath of office followed by a few sentences of Disney-written script.
4. A “safety screen” has been installed to protect the center stage animatronics (including Trump). Anyone or anything flying at the stage will immediately cause it to be deployed.
5. A security booth which will at least initially be manned has been added to the far side of the stage.

Apparently #4 and 5 have been necessitated by a number of “threats” Disney has received and in an abundance of caution to prevent any incidents between guests. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Princess Leia

3. Trump will recite the oath of office followed by a few sentences of Disney-written script.
4. A “safety screen” has been installed to protect the center stage animatronics (including Trump). Anyone or anything flying at the stage will immediately cause it to be deployed.
5. A security booth which will at least initially be manned has been added to the far side of the stage.

Apparently #4 and 5 have been necessitated by a number of “threats” Disney has received and in an abundance of caution to prevent any incidents between guests. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.
4 & 5 interest me. Has anyone thrown anything at the HOP Presidents before?

As for 5, I was kind of surprised by the security at the Disney Parks. While Magic Kingdom has metal detectors that are mandatory for everyone, the other parks did not. I understand that MK is the main draw, but with Pandora drawing major crowds to Animal Kingdom, and Star Wars on the horizon for Hollywood Studios, not having that extra level of security seems like it’s tempting disaster.

peter11435

4 & 5 interest me. Has anyone thrown anything at the HOP Presidents before?

As for 5, I was kind of surprised by the security at the Disney Parks. While Magic Kingdom has metal detectors that are mandatory for everyone, the other parks did not. I understand that MK is the main draw, but with Pandora drawing major crowds to Animal Kingdom, and Star Wars on the horizon for Hollywood Studios, not having that extra level of security seems like it’s tempting disaster.
All of the parks have metal detectors. None of the parks (including Magic Kingdom) make every guests who enters use them all the time.

Princess Leia

All of the parks have metal detectors. None of the parks (including Magic Kingdom) make every guests who enters use them all the time.
Thanks for the clarification. Everyone had to at MK on Monday, but that might have been since it was the Monday after Thanksgiving and a EMH day.

Cliff

Wow,....yeah, a "safety screen". This is fascinating. Could it be a plexi-glass shield that slides up quickly? How does it detect something being thrown at it? Or is it manually triggered by the security guard after visually inspecting something about to happen?

I give this attraction two weeks (or less) before it makes huge news from someone "trying" to get famous with a dramatic public display.

We all know it's coming.....

CT

Gringrinngghost

THIS ^^^^
Mass media are quite adept at manipulating the general public and it's a shame that they do so at all, and an even bigger shame that so many of the general public are unaware that they're doing it ALL.THE.TIME.
Mass media has adapted to become just like the social media echo chamber that people tend to flock to these days. People want to hear a bunch of people who agree with them. Plain vanilla news doesn’t sell. You need the sensationalism and the conspiracy theories and the talking heads spouting their opinions.

For the record this show is on HBO and was rated TV-MA for for pervasive strong language. Please view at your own leisure,

Goofyernmost

Okay...apparently you guys missed where I said "unless it was appropriate"?

I definitely think we need to be vocal about our opinions, but there is a proper time and place for it, and lately the world seems to have forgotten that. I'd never try to bully anyone into quiet submission, but these days things are way out of hand.
Emotions do not have a particular time and place. If you feel them you have them. There should never be a boundary. Of course, doing that in a theme park attractions is probably non-productive, so perhaps it is even better that it happen there. Just don't sit here and say that expressing those beliefs is wrong because of location or that thinking that "it shouldn't happen there" will stop it from happening. We are discussing the pro and cons of having that show open at this time, not whether or not we can of should control the emotions of this country.

21stamps

Emotions do not have a particular time and place. If you feel them you have them. There should never be a boundary. Of course, doing that in a theme park attractions is probably non-productive, so perhaps it is even better that it happen there. Just don't sit here and say that expressing those beliefs is wrong because of location or that thinking that "it shouldn't happen there" will stop it from happening. We are discussing the pro and cons of having that show open at this time, not whether or not we can of should control the emotions of this country.

Feeling emotions and acting on emotions are two different things.

One of which should be able to be controlled by the person feeling them.. especially past the Age of 3.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Following info based on very Good good source....

Doesn't that (4 + 5) just exacerbate the situation?

Pixieish

Okay...adding emotions into the mix - if everyone allowed their emotions to dictate their every move, you do realize that there would be nothing but chaos, right? Our ability to have emotions, yet not allow them to control our behavior is what makes civility possible.

There is a time and place for protests. HoP is NOT one of them.

princessmik

As others have mentioned, I think it's important to note that there are people on both "sides" of the political spectrum that could cause a disturbance. Screaming and cheering positively is just as loud and disruptive as booing and heckling- I think the most important thing is to watch the show quietly, to respect those around you who are just trying to watch a classic attraction (or get out of the heat for half an hour). Surely there will be people reacting both positively and negatively to the AA, but at the end of the day, it's just a robot- not the actual President. I don't think this will be a huge deal as far as security and such- and if it is, the reaction certainly doesn't mean that all people on either "side" are going to go nuts, positively or negatively.

I, personally, didn't vote for 45, but I am eager to see the updates and watch the show respectfully. It's a part of history, and should be treated as such.

lentesta

Premium Member

3 seemed like the best compromise to get this reopened.

I'll bet a Casey's Corner hot dog that 4 and 5 don't happen. They'd be newsworthy all by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom