The Hall of Presidents: Closed for Rehab Starting January 1

JerseySkiddie

HUH.

Well that goes along with one persons format. :lol:

Thanks Steve. I cant imagine how many things go into a change like this.

Do they get the actual president to record the audio or a impersonator?

EDIT: Im glad to see everyone is behaving.

George and Bill both recorded their own... I think George Sr. may have too, but I'm not positive.

In defense of one of the attractions I wrote my American Studies senior honors thesis about, this attraction does exactly what it is meant to do. Its supposed to make us feel good about our country and its highest position. While there are some inaccuracies, there are also some inaccuracies and what young kids are taught in school. Our history is often painted in a rosey, everything turned out great way for young kids. A Disney theme park is not the place to spark debate about controversial times in our past. Its a happy place so they focus on the happy parts of history. Also we have to remember Disney's place in American society and realize that they are going to do what appeals to the most people. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you all.

If you haven't seen it in a long time its worth checking out. Especially in the rediculously hot summer months. Just seeing the accuracy of the likenesses of the presidents is impressive. All of their outfits were fabricated in the same way they would have been in their given period of time. If something would have been hand sewn out of think woolen material in George Washington's time, thats how Imagineers did it too.

I know my view is biased being that I'm both a Disney and American history dork, but I really enjoy this attraction. I don't see it every time I'm in WDW, but when I do I never regret the time spent in the theater.

Ok I'll get off of my soap box now. But give it a try before it gets changed. And I can't wait to see all of these changes that are coming up!

mary219

You know, as much as that attraction gets bashed, I go almost every time I visit. Nap worthy.....sure, but I really enjoy the patriotism. My kid are split, but they go too. It's one of the things that makes Disney.......Disney. I remember when Bush went in, there were all these rumors of the attraction getting pulled out for something else. As for historical accuracy.......I always thought it was pretty good for what it was. You can't cram too much in. It's a nice "America Kicks A*****" presentation! With all our problems, I'm still glad it's around.

I agree.I see it everytime I go.It just reminds me of what disney is,It reminds so much of my very first trip in 1973,and in my 9 year old mind,the talking presidents where amazing.Yes,its a little slow (ok alot slow)in this day and age,but I would never miss it ,ever.I dragged my husband and kids there last august and as much as they thought it was lame,I loved it .It is a must see for me,as was 20,000 leagues under the sea,which sadly is gone and lets not forget the penny arcade,:(.

I even bought a hard cover book called Americas Presidents in 1973 as we left the attraction,I still have the book in my bedroom with the updates I made citing nixons resignation,gerald ford becoming president and even updated it when carter was elected!!!LOL.:lol:

And you are correct--Why are we as a country not allowed to be proud and loud every now and then?

Expo_Seeker40

The Hall of Presidents All Stars: New for 2009! Why fall asleep to this irrelevent and boring show when you and your kids can rap and smack to the new beat of the Hall of Presidents All Stars. By removing those old and irrelevant audio animatronics, you and your family now can interact with a bunch of digital presidents on a giant movie screen and with your portable touch screen device that can pick and choose which Presidents can rule not only the country but the entire world. It's a dog eat dog world as the pairs of presidents will battle it out against other presidents leaving one lucky family's pick as the winner. All winners get a free trip to try and contact their congressman or women on their 3 month vacation. :lookaroun

montyz81

According to the WDW website, HoP is going to be closed for rehab for all of January and February. The calendar doesn't go past this month so who knows how long this rehab is going to last.
Think they scheduled this too early. They have not taken into consideration the projected increase in recounts. That means we won't know who are next pres will be until at least April!:ROFLOL:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The refurb itself does not take 1 to 2 years it takes 1 to 2 years after a new president is elected before we see our new commander in chief in the attraction.
ahhhh. Ok.

That's right, last time it took around 11 months or so before Bush was added.
That makes sense after you think about all that goes into it.

George and Bill both recorded their own... I think George Sr. may have too, but I'm not positive.
I anyone say this show... did he say "prudent" or "juncture" :D

I know my view is biased being that I'm both a Disney and American history dork, but I really enjoy this attraction. I don't see it every time I'm in WDW, but when I do I never regret the time spent in the theater.
Admiting that takes guts my friend... :lol:

Kidding. I havent seen the show since I was a kid. I really need to go next time im down there.

imagineer boy

Hall of Stitch?

Announcer: And now the current president of the united states: Stitch!

Stitch:Me STITCH! ME PRESIDENT! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! *burps in george washington's face and vomits all over Lincoln*

no - Hall of Pixar! :ROFLOL:

Actually, they will be adding an animatronic Shelly Forthwright the CEO of BuyNLarge. :lookaroun

BTW, I really do hope they get the rehab done soon after the election because it would be incredibly awkward if they keep announcing Bush as the president when either McCain or Obama are president.

MousDad

The Hall of Presidents All Stars: New for 2009! Why fall asleep to this irrelevent and boring show when you and your kids can rap and smack to the new beat of the Hall of Presidents All Stars. By removing those old and irrelevant audio animatronics, you and your family now can interact with a bunch of digital presidents on a giant movie screen and with your portable touch screen device that can pick and choose which Presidents can rule not only the country but the entire world. It's a dog eat dog world as the pairs of presidents will battle it out against other presidents leaving one lucky family's pick as the winner. All winners get a free trip to try and contact their congressman or women on their 3 month vacation. :lookaroun

My how time flies -
GET A LIFE YOU GUYS!
You're ancient history!

aeroc33

I was talking to an off-duty CM at Red Lobster down on Vineland yesterday and he mentioned something about Stitch possibly invading HOP?? Anyone know more??

(couldn't resist)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Blaine reportedly will not be coming out of retirement for this. I've heard that it will be Valerie Edwards who will be doing the sculpting.
I was hoping that we could get one more AA from Mr. Gibson. I guess I should give the guy a break....he is 90 after all.:lol:

JerseySkiddie

Admiting that takes guts my friend... :lol:.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery :D

I can't help it. I dedicated a year of my life to writing about the Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure and their representation of American history and culture. I have a soft spot for them

hokielutz

:lol:
Clever, but I think it would be too early for that. Seems like it's after they've been in office a bit before that's done.

Actually, it wasn't long after the inauguration til Bush 43 was added to the HoP. I know it was done in the first year.

hokielutz

In defense of one of the attractions I wrote my American Studies senior honors thesis about, this attraction does exactly what it is meant to do. Its supposed to make us feel good about our country and its highest position. While there are some inaccuracies, there are also some inaccuracies and what young kids are taught in school. Our history is often painted in a rosey, everything turned out great way for young kids. A Disney theme park is not the place to spark debate about controversial times in our past. Its a happy place so they focus on the happy parts of history. Also we have to remember Disney's place in American society and realize that they are going to do what appeals to the most people. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you all.

Some awesome points that you made and I completely agree.

I also am happy with this upcoming major format change for the attraction. Its probably a bit long overdue, and timing wise it will fit with the changing of the CIC.

The Empress Lilly

As it happens, I am both a Disney dweep and an American history lover. I think you picked a fascinating subject for your thesis. :wave:

Needless to say, I love both the AA and Hall of Presidents. I do think HoP became something of a lesser version of AA after the latter opened. I hope that with the upcoming refurb, there will be a rethink of the HoP. Just to make it sufficiently distinctive.

Looking forward to it! :sohappy:

(But please...no dumbing down. And no giving in to guest surveys that no doubt will say the HoP needs to be 'more relevant to today's audiences'. It's not an attraction that will stand a design to cater to the lowest common denominator very well)

imagineer boy

JerseySkiddie said:
in defense of one of the attractions I wrote my American Studies senior honors thesis about, this attraction does exactly what it is meant to do. Its supposed to make us feel good about our country and its highest position. While there are some inaccuracies, there are also some inaccuracies and what young kids are taught in school. Our history is often painted in a rosey, everything turned out great way for young kids. A Disney theme park is not the place to spark debate about controversial times in our past. Its a happy place so they focus on the happy parts of history. Also we have to remember Disney's place in American society and realize that they are going to do what appeals to the most people. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you all.

I agree. I think they should show the revolutionary war period and show the founding fathers signing the constituion. And then it shows George Washington becoming the first president, thus laying the foundation for the show.

BTW, should they replace the John Adams animatronic with a Paul Giamatti animatronic?:lol:

dxwwf3

I was getting ready to post about my hopes that they don't dumb down this attraction, but I was already beat to the punch :). I can understand if they wanted to shorten the show a little bit, but don't ask us to thank the Phoenicians for our ABC's ;)

I am glad to hear some time and effort will be put into it though. With the current state of the MK, it is very refreshing to see something that isn't character based or mainly aimed at children get some TLC.

Figment571

(But please...no dumbing down. And no giving in to guest surveys that no doubt will say the HoP needs to be 'more relevant to today's audiences'. It's not an attraction that will stand a design to cater to the lowest common denominator very well)

That sounds very familiar, oh yeah! Spaceship Earth! (I finally rode it due to my trip the last two weeks, I was MAD)

But anyway I just hope that they don 't try to make it "more relevant" or dumb it down so "everyone" will get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom