The Hall of Presidents: Closed for Rehab Starting January 1

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hey, Pumbas, does the UK have a Hall of Kings?

:)

At Epcot? no we have a crappy maze and a tribute band, but then it is a good reflection of our attitude to what passes as entertainment.

For the historical stuff, weve a good bit more of that to dwell on so its all local.

I do after all live in the birth place of the Tudors reign.

Animaniac93-98

Valid question. In the earlier days of HOP, slavery wasn't addressed until you got to the Lincoln era in the film. Now they've thrown it in the earlier colonial section as well.

Again, on an attempt to be P.C. myself, I think slavery is awful but it's just thrown in your face so often at HOP now, when I'm watching it I feel like "Ok! I get it."

Apparently some University Professors complained about the lack of slavery being mentioned in the attraction. So what does Disney do? make the entire show about slavery to appeal to a few people who probably have no interest on setting foot on WDW property. Yes slavery is bad and it should be mentioned in the show, bu I'm sure other stuff has happened to America in it's 232 years of existence. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm Canadian.

BillsFanGabe

Nowonder you like going to the place of dreams, LOL! Anyone who thinks this country is going to elect another republican after what we just went through for the last 8 years is definitely in dream land.

Here, if McCain wins, I will pay for everyone on the wdwmagic.com boards to go to Disney World!

Alright then you better keep your word to it. haha lol that would be really awesome if you were going to do that for everyone here. :D

Madhatter06

I was actually gonna see it this time so it figures it's closed!

So far Splash Mountain's not listed for closure though! Maybe I'll finally get to go on!

firemandisney

Nowonder you like going to the place of dreams, LOL! Anyone who thinks this country is going to elect another republican after what we just went through for the last 8 years is definitely in dream land.

Here, if McCain wins, I will pay for everyone on the wdwmagic.com boards to go to Disney World!
You better get a very high paying job!
Cause McCain IS going to win.

Horizonsfan

Can we please stop with the politics?

This refurbishment I find actually interesting due to it's length. I would just hope that this thread doesn't get screwed up early on because some people want to talk issues that don't pertain to a disney board. (wow, that sounded incredibly jerky but, that's how I feel)

RSoxNo1

I'm still eagerly awaiting the ride that "The Simpsons" promised us, "The Hall of the Secretaries of the Interior".

The Mom

Premium Member
People, could we please keep this from getting so political? This is a discussion of the refurb, not November's election. (although the winner will be seen in the HoP in the future, we don't have to give our opinions on who we think that will, or should, be ;))

tirian

Apparently some University Professors complained about the lack of slavery being mentioned in the attraction. So what does Disney do? make the entire show about slavery to appeal to a few people who probably have no interest on setting foot on WDW property. Yes slavery is bad and it should be mentioned in the show, bu I'm sure other stuff has happened to America in it's 232 years of existence. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm Canadian.

Lots of other things happened—important things that had nothing to do with slavery. The stupid HoP presentation looks like that's the only thing Americans have argued over since the beginning. Yes, slavery was terrible, but that's not the only event in American history.

:fork: Stupid people rewriting history.

tirian

The fact that the Civil War was started over slavery is actually a misconception, it was only part of the issue. It was also about state power vs. federal power, which most of the Southern States (Confederates - A Confederation of states with a weak central government) supported more power to the state.

It turns out that through most of the war the nations of Europe supported The Confederates due to the amount of cotton the South provided for textiles in Europe along with other crops. It was not until Lincoln, in a very smart political move, issued the Emancipation Proclamation stating that slaves in the Southern states were freed thus making the war about slavery. BY that time in Europe almost every nation had abolished slavery so therefore they could not support the Confederates in their efforts to keep the institution of slavery.

Other than that there was arguments during the writing of the original Articles of Confederation (The United States First and failed first attempt at a constitution, it lasted a couple of years) and our current Constitution in which the Founding Fathers just decided to put provisions in to gently ween off the slave trade but not slavery itself, so early Revolutionary America has some things to do with slavery but not much.

True, but as long as "new history" textbooks are read in schools throughout America, very few students will know this.

Let's see how the new HoP turns out...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom