The fate of Star Tours?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Kman101

I love Star Tours but it won't be needed once the Millenium Falcon simulator opens. IMO. So they aren't going to move it. We won't have two simulators serving similar purposes in the same land that wants to immerse you in being in the land.

AEfx

I love Star Tours but it won't be needed once the Millenium Falcon simulator opens. IMO. So they aren't going to move it. We won't have two simulators serving similar purposes in the same land that wants to immerse you in being in the land.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Given that the simulators are going to offer wildly different experiences.

jaxonp

I still have a hard time seeing them doing anything with star tours for a long time. The ride will only gain popularity once swge opens. No need to take away a Star Wars related attraction. Change something else!

Why can't Star Tours be moved to Tomorrowland? MK could still use more capacity. There are already multiple IPs in different parks. Is there not enough space inside Stitch or Monsters?

Kman101

That doesn't really make sense to me. Given that the simulators are going to offer wildly different experiences.

So? We don't need two Star Wars simulators. Yeah they offer different experiences but it makes sense to me to close it and offer something new. Which, as it stands, sounds like they will so I guess people need to expect it to not be around. I get liking it. I love it, but why have two simulators for the same IP? The Millenium Falcon can't take us to different places in the universe like a vehicle from Star Tours can?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Until an insider tells us that WDW has a definite plan for Stours or that space, the history of WDW suggests that Stours will continue there for years and years past the opening of SWGE. They'll eventually stop refurbishing it because they know they're going to get rid of it, even though they don't have a plan yet. Then when there's two or more shuttles that are no longer operational, they'll be forced to decide what to do with it and then two years later, do it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Why can't Star Tours be moved to Tomorrowland? MK could still use more capacity. There are already multiple IPs in different parks. Is there not enough space inside Stitch or Monsters?
Interesting thought, perhaps there is space in Laugh Floor? Giving way to a Monsters Inc land in DHS?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So? We don't need two Star Wars simulators. Yeah they offer different experiences but it makes sense to me to close it and offer something new. Which, as it stands, sounds like they will so I guess people need to expect it to not be around. I get liking it. I love it, but why have two simulators for the same IP? The Millenium Falcon can't take us to different places in the universe like a vehicle from Star Tours can?
Tours and Bird will be sufficiently different experiences to be able to coexist.

Marc Davis Fan

Obviously this isn't high priority, but if Star Tours were to remain a while, it would be nice to redo the facade so that it fits the "city" (rather than "studio") theme and merges nicely with Grand Avenue, etc.

That would also be one of the last steps toward making Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood Boulevard, Echo Lake, and Grand Avenue a holistic continuation of each other. It might even make that collective area the largest single themed environment in any Disney park (even though they technically take place in different time periods, they still broadly fit as one continuous "city").

JCoppola

I know this ship has sailed but I wish creative could have been more "creative" in the beginning to try and keep Star Tours tied to Star Wars land. After all the ride is about passengers on a fight to a destination from a space port. I envisioned this ride as being sort of a third entrance to the land. This is how I would imagineer it if money were no object.

Beginning wait and cue mostly the same but with travel posters and departure times like an airport. Get on ride with whole new movie showing our trip to Galaxy's Edge. When the ride ends you exit to the terminal of a space port at Galaxy's Edge onto a moving walkway like at real airports. Off to your side you would see a terminal with airline gates with actual set pieces of seats, gate kiosks and other props populated with various alien life forms both static and some movement sitting in the seats waiting for their flights and maybe robotic trash cans or baggage carts moving about. Beyond that you would see the window looking down on the tarmac but instead it would be screens showing ships taxiing, landing and taking off. You would continue on your walkway following the signs like a real airport to "exit to Galaxy's Edge" and be there.

I admit I don't know based on its location it could have been done or how they could theme the outside so its location makes sense but I think it would have been a lot of fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom