The fate of Star Tours?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do not understand why they wouldn't just put Tours into SWGE. Besides, since when does two rides constitute a land?!

Because new 'lands' aren't just a row of rides with a generic thematic link (anymore). They are fully themed with other attractions, shows, M&Gs, restaurants, restrooms and immersive scenery which takes up a lot of space. Of course, the counting of "rides" is the mentality of someone who really doesn't appreciate the "theme" in "theme park." These are folks who hop through all four parks in one day hitting just the rides and complaining that there's nothing to do.

But, since you asked 'since when'...

Storybook Circus: 1 new ride, 2 converted
TSL: 2 new rides, 1 converted
Hogsmeade: 1 new ride, 2 converted
Diagon Alley: 2 new rides
New Fantasy Land: 2 new rides
Cars Land: 3 new rides
Pandora: 2 new rides
SW:GE: 2 new rides (both E-Ticket)

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Because new 'lands' aren't just a row of rides with a generic thematic link (anymore). They are fully themed with other attractions, shows, M&Gs, restaurants, restrooms and immersive scenery which takes up a lot of space. Of course, the counting of "rides" is the mentality of someone who really doesn't appreciate the "theme" in "theme park." These are folks who hop through all four parks in one day hitting just the rides and complaining that there's nothing to do.

But, since you asked 'since when'...

Storybook Circus: 1 new ride, 2 converted
TSL: 2 new rides, 1 converted
Hogsmeade: 1 new ride, 2 converted
Diagon Alley: 2 new rides
New Fantasy Land: 2 new rides
Cars Land: 3 new rides
Pandora: 2 new rides
SW:GE: 2 new rides (both E-Ticket)
Whoa! Easy. I should have used the term "attractions" not "rides", that was lazy of me.

Outside of that my point still stands. Three attractions is acceptable to me for a land that's an expansion. (So nix SBC, TSL, Cars from that list). And Fantasyland includes the classic and new attractions.

But for some perspective, if every land in the Magic Kingdom had 2-3 attractions, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland would be pretty empty by comparison.

Not only that. But not every ride/attraction/experience has to be a headliner.

Movielover

But for some perspective, if every land in the Magic Kingdom had 2-3 attractions, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland would be pretty empty by comparison.

Yeah but not every land at MK opened with more than 2 - 3 attractions. Both Adventureland and Frontierland opened with 1 ride each, Jungle Cruise and Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Hey look at that, another IP attraction), And then both had a show attraction, Country Bears and Tiki Room, and then walk through type areas, Swiss Family Tree house and Tom Sawyer Island. In comparison Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will have 2 rides, plus plenty of walk through experiences. I would say it's pretty on-par with being a new land.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Yeah but not every land at MK opened with more than 2 - 3 attractions. Both Adventureland and Frontierland opened with 1 ride each, Jungle Cruise and Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Hey look at that, another IP attraction), And then both had a show attraction, Country Bears and Tiki Room, and then walk through type areas, Swiss Family Tree house and Tom Sawyer Island. In comparison Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will have 2 rides, plus plenty of walk through experiences. I would say it's pretty on-par with being a new land.
Are these walk through attractions confirmed?

TJJohn12

Looking at the model work and the imagineering videos on the story immersion, I'd argue yes. They're not "traditional" walkthrus (ala Sleeping Beauty dioramas), but the land itself is going to soak up a ton of crowd just from gawking, immersion and character interactions, I would wager. Plus, the amped character dining of a cantena could merit an "attraction" title, at very least in terms of crowd draw and capacity ratings.

Movielover

I should clarify, when I say walk through attractions I mean all the interactions that you can have with the cast members, like in the video they talk about a specific shop owner you can interact with, or the creatures in the bar that can be interacted with. I assume there will be some sort of First order interaction by the Tie Fighter and likewise with the Resistance members over by the X-Wings.

Movielover

Also, and I'm trying to find the video that it is mentioned in because there are so many from D23, it sounds like there will be a section of the town that will be indoors, which sounds a lot like the Knockturn Ally area of Diagon Ally at Universal where the street is inside a small show building, creating a seedier environment.

Phineas

*dramatically gestures to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster*
I seriously don't understand this. In a universe where classic characters are ripped out and replaced with movie tie-ins that make no logical sense, where entire pavilions dedicated to teaching and inspiring guests are gutted or left to rot for decades untouched, and where the fates of iconic attractions are always in flux, HOW is Aerosmith safe?!

DisneyFan18

Since Star Tours is going to be either rethemed or removed, I believe this could be the perfect opportunity for Disney to build a Big Hero 6 attraction. They could replace the C3PO AA with Baymax, and the story could be regarding Hiro's newest invention going wrong or something like that. What do you think?

Kman101

Since Star Tours is going to be either rethemed or removed, I believe this could be the perfect opportunity for Disney to build a Big Hero 6 attraction. They could replace the C3PO AA with Baymax, and the story could be regarding Hiro's newest invention going wrong or something like that. What do you think?

If they didn't decide to put Guardians here (which, obviously they didn't LOL), I'd welcome Big Hero 6. It could work.

I know people are clinging to Star Tours and I love the ride but I welcome something new once SW:GE is up and running.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom