The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
When I get the time, I NEED to read this entire thread! Since I met Tony Baxter a couple months ago, I've been way more interested in his work.

He is a AMAZING man.
Don't ever let anyone ever tell you otherwise!
Congratulations on meeting him!
:D

Tony is a incredible talent, even from a young age.
I had the honor of viewing some of the models he made as a teenager before he worked for Disney and they were amazing.
The intricate details and precision painting skill were very impressive even though he was so young when he made them.
He is a outstanding graphic artist as well in his own right, even when not taking into consideration his famous Attraction concept artwork he has done over the years.
Tony draws and paints for his own pleasure, and always has.

Yes, if you are interested in learning more about Tony's lifelong work this is a good place to start.
I've been a major fan of his for a very long time, and have learned a lot about his long creative career.
Some of that i have shared here.

It will probably take you more then a few days to read everything here, but it's quite a intriguing saga.
Besides insights into the Attractions he has been involved in, it's also a story about one fans journey to meet her mentor and personal inspiration for 30+ years.
I would say this thread gets ever better about half way through....as the adventures started becoming even more exciting and insightful thanks to 'certain individuals'.
Forever grateful to those who brought us together.

Enjoy!!
This is why i started this thread to begin with....to share the stories about all of things he has been involved in and the 'hidden' details in Disneyland Park that add an entirely new perspective to a visit.
It's 'Baxterland' when you see it from the alternative perspective.
:)

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Alighty .....time for a couple of fun tidbits related to Mr. Baxter that I have been meaning to include here.

This first one I've been wanting to add for some time, but had to wait until I had managed to snap a good pair of photos.

How many of you realized that Tony had something to do with the exterior look of the 'Alice in Wonderland' Attraction?
I'm talking about the charming landscaped grounds around the loading area of the Attraction, and NOT the altered upper track which he had strong feelings against when it was enlarged some years ago.
That sadly ruined the fun 'falling off the edge' sensation when riding by on your caterpillar.

Most here are probably well aware of his involvement in Disneyland's New Fantasyland redesign done in the early 1980s, but did you know he also had a influence in other ways?
A very 'hands on' influence....such as this :

Behold - Tony's concept drawing for the exterior 'garden', slowly spreading out from the portals to Wonderland.
image.jpeg

And here is a snapshot of said area, as one stands on the main walkway with the loading area and queue to your right -

image.jpeg

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And now for another tidbit, this delight discovered during my most recent adventure last week -

Very neat themed 'telegram' postcards currently being used at the 'Indiana Jones Adventure' for Guests with mobility issues.
Check out the title...and take a look at those dates.
It all means something!

image.jpeg

'Westside' is what the side of Disneyland where IJA is located has been called for years by Cast.
It is literally the 'west side' of the Park when seen on a map.
So this is a fun reference to the Attraction's real location.

Also of note are the dates shown.
'March 3rd 1935' references the premier day of the Attraction ( March 3rd, 1995 ).
'0717. 1955' is Disneyland's Opening Day ( July 17th, 1955 ).
'19. 95.' is the year 'Indiana Jones Adventure' opened.

A CM who happened to notice I was taking my sweet time looking over artifacts and scenery in the interior queue slipped me the small pocket sized 'decoder card' to try my hand at decoding the temples' Maraglyph carvings.
I guess it was pretty obvious what a big enthusiast I was, so it was nice of her to give me this neat little keepsake.
She then pulled me out of the line and put me right on a Transport...which was also very nice!

Pretty cool that Cast are still passing out the ol' decoder cards...even in this tiny business card sized form, after all these years!

I think Tony would be rather happy about that.
Yep, he looks pleased!

image.jpeg

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So who knew Anaheim had ties to a Baxter long before Disneyland even existed...?
I didn't....but according to this article related to the history of Anaheim, 'Baxterland' as a nickname just took on a whole new meaning.

From the 'Anaheim' Wikipedia article -

image.jpeg

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And so we come to this most recent chapter.

I've been thinking about how best to tell the tale, as not everything can be put into words.
But know this readers - I had a MAJOR 'Dream Come True' this past week happen out there in 'Baxterland'.
So much happened, but not everything can be explained or divulged in mere words so i'll just let the few photos explain.

Walt Disney once said - "Anything can happen at Disneyland'.

That was in 1965, during a promotional segment on his Disneyland television program promoting the upcoming opening of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Attraction.
When i first saw this segment, those words rang true.
And today, they ring even truer to me on a entirely different level.

It's not just some marketing lingo.
Absolutely ANYTHING can indeed happen at Disneyland.
Anything.
You have to make it happen, work towards it happening, and have kind people help you reach it, but when you go for it and never stop believing despite the odds....it HAPPENS!
I'm no 'pixie duster'.....this is a genuine sentiment after when I've experienced these last few years, and especially this most recent venture.

"Anything can happen at Disneyland'.

Yep, Uncle Walt knew what he was talking about.

image.jpeg

Yes, i'm a major fan of Tony Baxter and his works...if anybody here has'nt already figured that out.
Have been since i experienced the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction at EPCOT Center about a month after it opened in April of 1983.
I was 12, and i was totally BLOWN AWAY every time i experienced it.
That Attraction, those characters, that music, and it's creative 'message' really struck a deep chord with me even at that young age, and it's stayed with me ever since.
I've probably talked about it's personal impact on me already here, so i won't elaborate further.
Just know this single Attraction changed me forever.

Over the years my admiration and respect for Tony and his works grew until in 2013 it was announced he had 'retired' from WDI.
At a later time, i learned it was simply a role change to a advisory position, but i was concerned.
At that point, i felt a need to reach out and the story began.

I returned to Disneyland in September of 2013, and began this thread shortly beforehand to document the 'crusade' of one fans' journey to meet this inspirational talent.
Someone i consider a personal mentor.
And so it began....

Yes, i flew 3,000 coast to coast several times in my quest, and each visit became more memorable then the last.
As a former WDW Veteran who visited pretty regularly from the late 70s until 2013, i happily turned my back to Florida and embraced California fully.
There is indeed 'gold in them there hills'!

image.jpeg

Disneyland, seen though the perspective i was seeing it through Tony's re-tellings of it's history and his own projects led me to get a completely different perspective of the Park and the people who made it happen.
Some incredible backstories, and humorous insights...some of which i have shared here.
I learned a LOT from Tony over the years listening to him talk about various topics related to the Park in interviews, and it was a joy to see and experience those things in person.
The respect and admiration only grew.

As this thread has documented back when it happened, we eventually DID finally meet......first, at the D23 Expo in 2015.
It was a a great moment, very exciting for me, but that was just the beginning.
I could not even begin to imagine what lie ahead.

A year later, a amazing second meeting took place, this time when a very kind friend arranged a evening at Club 33 with the man himself.
Yes, a fabulous evening in the Park with Tony Baxter.
What a incredible night...six hours at the Club and riding 'Baxterattractions' in the Park.
The ultimate 'fan dream come true' you might say.
Yes, i would have to agree....it was indeed very special.

But the story doesn't end there....
It gets EVEN MORE incredible.

Imagine for a moment, six years ago, you are a Tony Baxter fan and come across this article in an old issue of Disney Magazine ( from 2004 ) -
A article showcasing a 'tour' of Tony's custom designed home.
Yes, THAT famous home he designed himself.
Even built a model of it back when he was planning out it's construction.

Imagine yourself as said fan, looking over these pictures and dreaming that maybe one day YOU might get to visit there and see all of these beautiful treasures and themed surroundings yourself.

Just imagine.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And so, the story unfolds.
Below is a write up setting the scene, so the end result will make a far greater impact.
It's good to explain the reason why i was out there in California this time around, as it was purely unplanned for.
This most recent venture happened purely by chance.

Read on....

I had just returned from a visit to WDW this past September, my first since 'abandoning' my former Property in January of 2013.
Since i had in my possession old valid ticket media, and had wanted to return to explore 'Pandora' at DAK, i decided it was time to reisit and went for it.
The very reasonably priced flights to Florida and a excellent hotel room deal Disney sent my way to lure me back also enticed me to return.

While the visit was enjoyable, there was a lot 'missing' for me.
I have been so utterly and delightfully 'spoiled' by the quality of the Guest Experience at the West Coast Parks, and my other related adventures that Florida just doesn't hold the 'magic' it once did.
The slow erosion of my favorite aspects of WDW and the outright decimation of some key elements leave me angered and disappointed at times.
Hard to explain, but the standout that effected me the most was how EPCOT was such a depressing experience for me this time around.

My favorite Park since first visiting it in April of 83', it's been sad to watch it slowly turn into something far less glorious then it's prior state.
The Imagination Pavilion is where it all started for me, so it's always been a issue regarding the completely unnessary removal of the Original Attraction contained there.
It is so incredibly disheartening to go there today and see it's current 'empty' state when i clearly recall how far better a experience it used to be.

I think this photo i snapped perfectly sums up my attitude regarding the current Pavilion's state -

image.jpeg

Who knew a little more then three months later, I would be visiting a place where I would be face to face with the 'real Figment' once housed within these glass pyramids.
But I'm getting ahead of the story.....
;)

I returned home and figured it would be a while before i visited either Coasts' Parks.
My Dad had passed away this past Summer, and now i had inherited all the property, bills, and other financially taxing matters.
The September visit to Florida was a 'vacation escape' to take a break from all of that....but i had no plans at all to return to either Park entities anytime soon.

And then...something happened....

My best friend's wife passed away soon after i returned from WDW.
He was devastated, and it was a huge adjustment for him.
He is a big 'Disney fan' himself, and decided shortly afterwards that he wanted to celebrate her life by going to WDW since that is where they honeymooned 30+ years ago.

For the last six years, i had been telling him about my adventures out West in California, and recommend he 'forget about Florida' and reconsider a venture out to Disneyland instead.
He had noted that he had always promised his wife he would take here there one day, and now he had the chance to in some respects.
It didn't take him long to rethink things and decide that YES, Disneyland in happy Anaheim is where he wanted to go !

Then, i offered to accompany him as i was more familiar with the property and the surrounding area after all of my escapades.
I also figured he probably would have a better time visiting the Parks with a friend instead of being alone.

This was to be his first REAL visit to Disneyland...his previous experience was a quick three hours in the rain ten years ago while in town attending a convention.
Not the way to experience all that 'Walt's Park' has to offer...and he missed a LOT of the 'real' experiences that make this Park special.
As a gift, i also offered to pay for his week long admission to the Parks.
Now, there was no turning back.
He accepted, and i suddenly found myself looking at taking another trip unexpectedly to 'Baxterland'.
While i was looking forward to it, the financial expense was certainly weighing on my mind at the time.

But in the end. it turned out to be one of the BEST decisions i've made.

That offer to accompany him, and the fact that this trip took place at all, was a key defining moment that resulted in the utterly amazing adventure that took place for both of us on different levels.
A totally unexpected, unplanned for trip that came together within moments.....but sometimes, the best things in life happen when unexpected things happen.
And that was certainly the case during this January venture.

Needless to say, my friend had the time of his life at the Disneyland Resort.
He LOVED the experience, and had many unsual and exciting things take place that were purely the result of Cast wanting to make his visit extra special.
Probably the best visit he has ever had to ANY Disney Theme Park to date in the 40+ years he has been visiting WDW.
The quality and personal touches that are 'The Disneyland Difference' blew him away.
He is a total convert now...and can't wait to go back.
He has totally 'forgotten' about Florida now....mission accomplished!
:cool:

With me as his personal 'tour guide', he saw the Park through a entirely different mindset.
He had some incredible experiences with Cast and several characters that week, and i witnessed some true 'above and beyond' moments from certain CMs.
They really went out of their way to make things memorable for him.
So the weeks' visit was remarkably memorable.
Boy, did that turn out to be a understatement in hindsight!

Nothing however could have prepared him for the epicness that was to come however......and even i did not know this was going to happen until a day before.

Remember that quote i noted earlier said by Uncle Walt..?
"Anything Can Happen At Disneyland".

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
As my friends' amazing visit to Disneyland was coming to a end, he was already reflecting on what a incredible experience it had been.

There was however one more surprise in store that neither of us expected, although it is a experience i have long dreamed of maybe one day getting to experience -
A visit to Tony Baxter's amazing self designed home.

While in town, i remember thinking about this.....constantly being reminded of Tony and his work while touring my friend around Disneyland Park.
We would walk around, and i would be pointing out things of interest, and telling him the stories Tony had shared over the years about certain aspects of the property and it's many Attractions.

On our last day in town, a special invitation was extended to us to meet up with a special friend.

Before you knew it, a dream came true and i was incredibly honored to visit that amazing place.
Yes, Tony's amazing residence.

Nothing can prepare you for the scope, depth, charm, and overwhelming awesomeness that IS visiting Baxter Manor, but there i was, enjoying a fine rainy evening together with friends at this amazing place.
Sure, i've seen the pictures.
Sure, i've met people who have been.
But to experience it firsthand yourself...?
Mind utterly blown.

Words escape me in trying to even convey what it was like.
The beautiful setting, the stunning artwork on display, the impressive collection of treasures...awe inspiring.
Wonders beyond your imagination.
Historic artifacts, much like Indiana Jones himself may pursue, were there to be savored and appreciated.

My brain exploded more then once...it was all so much to take in, but gloriously awesome none the less.
This was such a amazing experience for me.

This video segment will give you an idea of what Tony's place is like.
Not filmed by me, this segment was originally shot for showing at a Disney related event a year or two ago.

Watching this again blows my mind......it's like i'm standing back on the doorstep that evening.

-

SuddenStorm

As my friends' amazing visit to Disneyland was coming to a end, he was already reflecting on what a incredible experience it had been.

There was however one more surprise in store that neither of us expected, although it is a experience i have long dreamed of maybe one day getting to experience -
A visit to Tony Baxter's amazing self designed home.

While in town, i remember thinking about this.....constantly being reminded of Tony and his work while touring my friend around Disneyland Park.
We would walk around, and i would be pointing out things of interest, and telling him the stories Tony had shared over the years about certain aspects of the property and it's many Attractions.

On our last day in town, a special invitation was extended to us to meet up with a special friend.

Before you knew it, a dream came true and i was incredibly honored to visit that amazing place.
Yes, Tony's amazing residence.

Nothing can prepare you for the scope, depth, charm, and overwhelming awesomeness that IS visiting Baxter Manor, but there i was, enjoying a fine rainy evening together with friends at this amazing place.
Sure, i've seen the pictures.
Sure, i've met people who have been.
But to experience it firsthand yourself...?
Mind utterly blown.

Words escape me in trying to even convey what it was like.
The beautiful setting, the stunning artwork on display, the impressive collection of treasures...awe inspiring.
Wonders beyond your imagination.
Historic artifacts, much like Indiana Jones himself may pursue, were there to be savored and appreciated.

My brain exploded more then once...it was all so much to take in, but gloriously awesome none the less.
This was such a amazing experience for me.

This video segment will give you an idea of what Tony's place is like.
Not filmed by me, this segment was originally shot for showing at a Disney related event a year or two ago.

Watching this again blows my mind......it's like i'm standing back on the doorstep that evening.

-

This whole thread- but even moreso your most recent adventure in Anaheim highlight why Disneyland is so special. It's amazing that a theme park has become such an important part of so many of our lives.

Also, this story continues to cement Tony's place as a fan first and foremost- someone who genuinely wants the park to be the best it can be. My admiration for the man has only grown- the more I hear about him, the more I think he's the best Disney's had in the last few decades.

Thanks for sharing.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
My pleasure, and I'm glad to hear you have been enjoying this thread.
It's been quite a adventure, and it's still ongoing!

Tony is indeed a big fan of the Park himself, first and foremost.
Spend any time with him and that becomes clear.
You can still catch glimpses of that wide eyed twelve year old boy in him coming out to play, as he is still as enchanted with the Park as he has always been.
The two entities will always be a part of each other.

In my case, I cannot seperate the two because Tony has had so much influence on the place throughout his career.
It's mind boggling when one stops and realizes just HOW much the man has accomplished....and I'm only talking about his influence at Disneyland.

If there was ever a '#1 Fan of Disneyland', it's him.
His own personal archive contains some amazing pieces of memorabilia from the Park's past.
One such piece is this rare pre-opening press pass, which he is shown here holding up at a fan event some years ago.

image.jpeg

( Photo by Stephen Russo Media )

I've said it here before, but Tony's passion for the Park is second to none.
One can learn so much by just listening to what he has to say.
The knowledge he has amassed over the years due to his lifelong interest and later on active career enables him to have a unique perspective.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
A AMAZING night!
I'm still in slack jawed awe of everything that took place in the span of six hours.
It's been two weeks to the day, but i'm still feeling the after effects of what was truly a epic experience for me.

As a huge fan of Tony's works, it was a incredible thrill to be able to visit his home and see with my own eyes the wonders that lie within.
Probably THE ultimate 'dream experience' for a fan of Disneyland and his creative efforts throughout his long career.
Everything is represented, and everything is so perfectly expressed within that space.
Just INCREDIBLE beyond words.
Now our evening in the Park and at the Club was very special two years ago, but THIS....this may have just topped it, which i never thought would be possible.
Still so blown away.

I think the above video clip i shared earlier is a good representation of what it was like to be there.
Of course there is a LOT more that went on that i would like to talk about but i do have a lot of respect for the mans privacy.
However, i can share this little moment from the night -

One of the MANY highlights of the visit was getting to have some time face to face with my ol' purple pal from 36+ years ago....
Figment himself!

Yes,THE Figment was present that night and it was indeed a wonderful moment to be able to view up close this remarkable figure from my all time favorite Attraction ever.
As a big Animatronics fan, and old-school WED head, this was a true honor!

image.jpeg

This is one of the Attraction-used Figment Animatronics from the Original ride, FIgure #10 , 'Shadow Play Figment' as i call him.
He was the second dragon to appear in the 'Literature' segment of the Attraction, to your left, as you entered the room with all of the words coming to life from the pages of books.
Figment was placed behind a 'candle' that cast his shadow on a large blank 'page' behind him.
A lighting effect created a illusion where the shadow cast by his moving hands seemed to spell out 'Shadow' on the wall behind him.
It was a neat effect.

This character, and the Attraction he was a part of, had a tremendous influence on me.
Major life changing influence.
So to be 'reunited' with this figure 30+ years after i last saw him was incredibly meaningful for me.

Add to the fact that i actually photographed this SAME figure in the Attraction back in the 80s also adds a special element to the meeting.

Here is my own shot from all those years ago of 'Shadow play Figment' in his scene, complete with his candle which was also saved.
Due to having to use a flash, the blank wall behind him does not show the 'shadow' effect as seen in the actual Attraction.

image.jpeg

Here is how the scene appeared with the shadow effect in place -

image.jpeg

Bonus photo -
'Shadow Play Figment' being constructed at WED back in the day -

image.jpeg

So yeah......that was just ONE of the many memorable moments.
Ultimate fan dream experience for a uber geek like me.
EPICNESS DELUXE!

I'm going to say this again -
Tony really is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here's a Baxter question: what is the project he's pointing to here.
It says Discovery Bay but it is clearly not the famous land planned for northern Frontierland. It looks like its own theme park... possibly a WestCOT alternative. Would like to learn more about it.
View attachment 345240

What a great picture!
First time seeing this one, so many thanks for sharing this here.

Upon first impression, this looks to be a proposed concept adapted for the never realized pre-DCA 'WestCot' Theme Park project, or perhaps the Port Disney / DisneySea project originally slated for development in Long Beach, CA.
I will have to research this more in depth....but i do vaguely recall a mention of a revised version of the Discovery Bay concept being developed for inclusion in one of those never built areas.

As I look at this, that is what first comes to mind as I squint at the artwork.

Too bad I didn't see this photo two weeks ago...i could have asked Tony about this!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So what is a visit to 'Baxterland' without some appropriately themed souvenirs to take home...?

These beautiful examples of Tony's watercolor artwork are the perfect mementos of such a visit.
Charming cards featuring some of his designs.

image.jpeg

The card i am holding is a example of the spectacular painting Tony did some years ago of his idealized version of Fantasyland.
One can totally get transported into the picture and find oneself wandering those cobblestone streets as the details are incredible.
I've always wanted to get a good close look at this particular painting, and i'm so glad to have now had the chance.

It was a painting Tony did for himself, as an attempt to emulate the painting style of his mentor Claude Coats.
As fans here probably already know, Claude did many of the background paintings for Disney's classic animated films,
He also designed the settings and 'backgrounds' for two of Disney's most immersive ride through Attractions ,'The Haunted Mansion' and 'Pirates of The Caribbean' , as well as many other projects.
This is probably my second favorite work of his, as it's charm and beautiful detailing is fantastic.

Tony's legendary 'Discovery Bay' concept artwork is my all time favorite piece of his and i am absolutely thrilled beyond believe to have this stunning framed print.
The level of tiny details present in this are fantastic when examined more closely in person.
It's incredible to me considering this was done in watercolors which is a difficult medium to control on paper, at least in my experience.

image.jpeg

I've sneaked in few little tributes to Tony's 'Discovery Bay' in some of my own artwork related to him.

Here is a extreme close up of one of my larger designs that i drew a couple of years ago, showing Mr. Baxter drawing a sketch of said concept.
One of those tiny little hidden details i felt was appropriate....and this IS tiny.
The size of the original drawing here is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

image.png

Well friends, i guess that about covers the highlights of this most recent venture.
If i think of anything else interesting that i can share, i will add to the story.
But for now, i will close this marvelous chapter.

Here's to what may lie ahead....
Onwards !

And remember -
"Anything Can Happen at Disneyland" - Walt Disney 1965

image.jpeg

-

Last edited:

RandySavage

Too bad I didn't see this photo two weeks ago...i could have asked Tony about this!

-
Maybe next time you see him.;)

The ride in the upper left has a roofline that is reminiscent of his early version of The Land for EPCOT, which then re-appeared in the 1990s resuscitation of Discovery Bay. Looks like there might be a monorail going through the center feature.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Maybe next time you see him.;)

The ride in the upper left has a roofline that is reminiscent of his early version of The Land for EPCOT, which then re-appeared in the 1990s resuscitation of Discovery Bay. Looks like there might be a monorail going through the center feature.

Indeed.

Also notice the buildings in the upper left corner, are very similar to the ol' Horizons Pavillion when seen from above.
Both the Land and Horizons were planned to be 'cloned' and included as a part of WestCot, among many other EPCOT Center Attractions.

The Disneyland Monorail was also planned to be re-routed as shown here from the other plans and concept work I have seen to date.

So I suspect the artwork Tony is shown with in your photo is a earlier layout of the WestCot property.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom