The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your story!

Did Tony get recognized a lot by others while you were with him?

Yes, he did.
This happened several times during the evening, including when we were at the Club.

A couple of folks had stopped him when he was entering the Park through the main turnstiles before i had met up with him that day.
One spotted him as we stood in front of the door to the Club, and two others approached us while we were seated during our meal.... one personally and the other a fellow Member requesting a visit through our server.
Another person recognized Tony as we were leaning against the bamboo railing in Adventureland waiting for our friend.

Most of them just wanted a quick snapshot together with him, and i stood back and smiled ....totally relating to what was going on and saying 'that was me ...that IS me...!'
How many years did i dream of one day spotting Tony in the crowd while walking around the Park....yeah, i felt happy for these people.

Tony however gets a little embarrassed by the attention, but like any artist he can appreciate it when others let him know they enjoy what he has done over the years.

A craftsman, no matter what the trade, always appreciates hearing that their work is valued and enjoyed by others.
Sometimes, they are the last to know what an impact their work had had, so it is always nice when someone steps forward and expresses that.
:)

-

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow, what a wonder story and you told it so well. I got the warm fuzzies reading about your experience. I may not know you in person, but from what I know of you one here you seem super nice and talented. I am so happy for you that you got to have this wonderful experience with Tony. I'm so glad for you that he seems like a genuinely nice person too and was so willing to meet with you. I'm also hoping that he had a great time with you and your friend and perhaps an opportunity to chat with him may arise again sometime.

On a side note, I'm also happy that your were able to reflect on a your experience on a bench in front of the castle. (one of my favorite pass times at Disneyland) I remember thinking as I read that....it's a good think she met him at Disneyland because there wouldn't have been any benches in front of the castle at WDW to sit on and reflect on the evening.... :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wow, what a wonder story and you told it so well. I got the warm fuzzies reading about your experience. I may not know you in person, but from what I know of you one here you seem super nice and talented. I am so happy for you that you got to have this wonderful experience with Tony. I'm so glad for you that he seems like a genuinely nice person too and was so willing to meet with you. I'm also hoping that he had a great time with you and your friend and perhaps an opportunity to chat with him may arise again sometime.

On a side note, I'm also happy that your were able to reflect on a your experience on a bench in front of the castle. (one of my favorite pass times at Disneyland) I remember thinking as I read that....it's a good think she met him at Disneyland because there wouldn't have been any benches in front of the castle at WDW to sit on and reflect on the evening.... :)

Thank you ajrwdwgirl...your words mean a lot to me.
:happy:

There is so much that happened, my telling of the story is the 'short version' if you can believe that!
I have tried to avoid over-elaborating on some aspects, and have also tried to convey the tale in a fun but straightforward way.
It is incredible what happened, and a lot of it is difficult to put into mere words.
Those words however have to be carefully written.

Yes, I do indeed think he had just as memorable a evening as I did and quite enjoyed himself.
All three of us had a great time together...we just meshed so well and shared many of the same interests and opinions on matters.
We would have surely spent even more time together if our mutual friend had not fallen ill after that fateful ride on 'BTMR'.
They wanted to stay with me, but fate degreed otherwise.

He really did like that artwork I had done quite a bit.
I think it meant something to him on a personal level, and I'm not just saying that as a starry-eyed fan girl.
There was a real genuine expression of appreciation for it all.
I can still hear him telling me his thoughts regarding those pieces, and it warms my little heart.

Tony is amazing.
Not just his obvious talents, but as a very personable person.
He is very down to Earth, approachable, entertaining, and above all very kind.
This is someone you can very comfortably talk to about anything...and the feeling was mutual.

It was an incredibly open gesture for him to agree to this impromtu meeting....with someone he did not really 'know' yet.....but he did it, and then went the extra step to 'plus' the experience in ways I never would have expected.
The invitation to visit the Club was absolutely mind blowing for me.
I think that alone said a lot about his character and williness to make this special.

It was a great experience to be able to gain a remarkable personal insight into someone who's work I have admired and respected for years.
A incredibly rare honor it felt to me to be able to partake in this special get together.
It all happened because of my drawings, and our mutual friend sharing these with him.
Something truly magical happened after that, and things came into place.
What transpired afterwards the tale above hopefully conveys.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-------------------------------------------------

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, and dragons of all ages -

The time has come to resurrect this rather adventurous thread as yet another potentially exciting chapter is soon to take place.

I'm coming back to 'Baxterland' for another grand time at one of my favorites places to be, and I invite all of you along for the ride.

-------------------------------------------------

One thing I have to say is I am extremely relieved that the multitude of photos I have placed within this thread are still visible.
I do hope they remain, as Photobucket has changed its policies over the last couple of months and many people have lost their ability to link the images in their exsisting accounts with other '3rd party' websites.
I've been checking this thread over the last couple of months to make sure the photos are still intact, and thankfully they still are.
So far, my account still seems to allow the images to be seen here...but if one day everything disappears you will know why.
Not my doing, just the image hosting website's shenanigans.

I really do hope that doesn't happen....a lot of info, insights, and shared stories contained in this thread would be greatly diminished and in many cases wouldn't make much sense without the photos!
So fingers crossed that never happens and one day everything turns into dead links!
That would suck....majorly.
:(

So with that said, I'm hoping I will still be able to share pictures here of my upcoming venture.
If nothing else, some more fun observations.
I already have a short list of things I'd like to share...and hope to photograph.....one being a cleverly hidden detail recently added to the newly rethemed Big Thunder Trail that relates to Tony's 'Discovery Bay'.

Onwards, to further adventures!

-

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was hoping you would resurrect this thread. I hope you have a great time and I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. And I'm also looking forward to see what type of shirt design you have done this time!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I was hoping you would resurrect this thread. I hope you have a great time and I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. And I'm also looking forward to see what type of shirt design you have done this time!

Thanks ajrwdwgirl!
I wasn't sure if I should continue and resurrect this already lengthy document, but I've been receiving some nice compliments via PMs regarding this thread while it has lied dormant over the last year.
People are still finding and reading it, which is nice to know.
With another upcoming trip in less then a week and a half, I figured..'hey, why not..?'

I'll try to not be so wordy this time around....I think the last excursions' telling turned into a encyclopedia of over-descriptive paragraphs.
Gotta learn to keep it 'short and sweet'....but it's challanging when SO much happened!

Regarding this visits ' custom shirt ' -

Shocking as it may seem, I have not made one.
The reason being primarily that this trip was a last minute change of plans...as originally I had been looking at a July visit to attend another D23 Expo.
Travel rates and airfares were absolutely insanely priced from where I'm coming from for those dates and I couldn't justify the expense with no real 'must see' experiences enticing me to the attend the Expo this time around.
So I withdrew, and didn't think I'd be visiting CA this year.

That all changed three weeks ago, when on a whim of curiosity I took a look at current rates for mid-August and was surprised to find a amazing package deal on one of my favorite search engines.....exactly what I had been looking for months prior.
So I bit the bullet, and booked.

Meant to be...I'm convinced of it.

So long story short.. ( shyeah, so much for keeping it 'short and sweet'..ha ha!).....

I have not made a new custom painted shirt for this venture.
With several fun 'Baxterland' related deigns already in my closet, I'll just wear those...along with my cool new WDW 'Electrical Water Pagent' shirt I bought earlier this year.
Gotta wear that one when I am there for the final night of 'The Main Street Electrical Parade'...!

I have some cool battery operated mini lights I was going to attach to my hat for the night too....real MSEP-ish twinkles...but I have to go through LAX this time around ( ack...) and I don't want any problems coming back through security.
I am still trying to forget about the 'chest frisking' I recieved last time through some years ago.
:jawdrop:

There is a real reason I recommend to those who ask to avoid LAX if you can!
SNA ( Orange County ) is a much 'friendlier' and nicer way to arrive to and depart from.
SO much nicer.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster

Recent Tony Baxter inspired artwork that I drew that I'm just now realizing I have yet to have shared here.
This was drawn late last year for a special holiday card that doubled as a celebratory design shortly afterwards.
This image shows the 'celebratory' version, with the original artwork photographed with confetti I saved from a 1988 showing of the '60 Years with Mickey' stage show at WDW.
The 'holiday' version features a fully drawn background scene of a cozy cottage where these two characters are enjoying a seasonal toast.

Experimenting with the photo sharing service here on this website, as I'm having unsatisfactory results finding a new image hosting service.
I can't use my Photobucket account anymore as I don't want to risk losing all the previous pictures contained in this thread, so I'm looking for a new free image hosting service.
So far this is the largest sized image I've been able to post.
The other two I've tried ( Imageshack and PhotoImage ) only provide hot links and tiny thumbnail sized images when posted on a forum such as this.
Not really appropriate for illustrating the future happenings within this thread.

Any suggestions for a free image hosting site I can upload forthcoming photos to that will enable you to post good sized images on forums..?

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Four days to go before headin' back to the ol' 'laughin' place'.

Thought I would share this here...as a lot has happened behind the scenes since my last venture into the wilds of Anaheim.
Some Halloween themed artwork I drew for a special little project last season.
This was turned into a 'glowing' greeting card that a few folks were treated to...

As with all of my artwork, this is hand drawn / hand colored.
No 'Photoshop' or other bio-digital jazz here, folks.

Enjoy!

-

VJ

Recent Tony Baxter inspired artwork that I drew that I'm just now realizing I have yet to have shared here.
This was drawn late last year for a special holiday card that doubled as a celebratory design shortly afterwards.
This image shows the 'celebratory' version, with the original artwork photographed with confetti I saved from a 1988 showing of the '60 Years with Mickey' stage show at WDW.
The 'holiday' version features a fully drawn background scene of a cozy cottage where these two characters are enjoying a seasonal toast.

Experimenting with the photo sharing service here on this website, as I'm having unsatisfactory results finding a new image hosting service.
I can't use my Photobucket account anymore as I don't want to risk losing all the previous pictures contained in this thread, so I'm looking for a new free image hosting service.
So far this is the largest sized image I've been able to post.
The other two I've tried ( Imageshack and PhotoImage ) only provide hot links and tiny thumbnail sized images when posted on a forum such as this.
Not really appropriate for illustrating the future happenings within this thread.

Any suggestions for a free image hosting site I can upload forthcoming photos to that will enable you to post good sized images on forums..?

-
I use imgur.com whenever I need to host an image, but I guess it's a "your mileage may vary" sort of situation.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I use imgur.com whenever I need to host an image, but I guess it's a "your mileage may vary" sort of situation.

Thank you for the suggestion, vj.
I did try this one a week or so ago...and again just now, and can't get it to 'work' for me.
Having problems getting links to post here...everything is social media focused from what I'm seeing.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking, or just keep uploading my own images directly to my account here at WDWMagic when need be.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Three days to go....and then it's GO time!
:geek:

While awaiting the trek that lies ahead, I am reminded of something else that has taken place since my last venture -
The 25th Anniversary of 'Tony's Park', Disneyland Paris.

The kickoff for the year long celebration took place this past April, and the man himself was there to start things off that weekend.
Tony did a series of appearances, presentations, and two glorious walk through tours of the Park for both the fandom and Paris Cast Members.

Here is one of several videos covering one of his hour long 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland Paris' excursions.
Packed full of insights and interesting back stories related to the creation of the 'most beautiful' of Disney's Theme Parks, enjoy your very own tour through the property with my favorite 'idea guy'...!

-

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Three days to go....and then it's GO time!
:geek:

While awaiting the trek that lies ahead, I am reminded of something else that has taken place since my last venture -
The 25th Anniversary of 'Tony's Park', Disneyland Paris.

The kickoff for the year long celebration took place this past April, and the man himself was there to start things off that weekend.
Tony did a series of appearances, presentations, and two glorious walk through tours of the Park for both the fandom and Paris Cast Members.

Here is one of several videos covering one of his hour long 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland Paris' excursions.
Packed full of insights and interesting back stories related to the creation of the 'most beautiful' of Disney's Theme Parks, enjoy your very own tour through the property with my favorite 'idea guy'...!

-

Thanks for posting that video, I have been meaning to watch it but forgot all about it. I think that will be part of my porch time tomorrow.

RMichael21

Something you could try is just simply dragging and dropping photos directly from your desktop to the forum post editor. That lets you have nice sized images without all of the trouble. I'm not sure if you've tried this already, so if you have, my apologies.

Looking forward to reading your adventures. :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Something you could try is just simply dragging and dropping photos directly from your desktop to the forum post editor. That lets you have nice sized images without all of the trouble. I'm not sure if you've tried this already, so if you have, my apologies.

Looking forward to reading your adventures. :)

Thank you for the suggestion!
I will have to try this and see what the results end up being.

Nowadays I post mostly by using a tablet, and once in a great while i whip out my old laptop workhorse.
Will definately need to explore that opinion further in preperation for forthcoming pictures.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom