The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Tony Baxter is your key to unlock the hidden wonders of that world....

...the world I like to refer to as 'Baxterland'.

He can really give you some amazing insights into things, and I feel so lucky to be able to share in that insight.
I hope this thread will continue to be found by those looking for a alternative and interesting way of looking at that very special Park from a unique perspective.
Still so much to learn and uncover...still so many possibilities.

Here's to the future!
The 'key' to yet more wonderful adventures is in your hand!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

- * - * - * - * -

To quote some appropriate song lyrics from a current stage show at the Park....

' If we all believe in a world of dreams and imagination,
If we all let go there's no way to know where the spark will take us.
So much more then a destination,
A journey to...imagination...'

- * - * - * - * -

Yes friends, in two weeks the 'journey' continues ....yet again.
Time for another visit to that magical place where anything is possible.

This particular chapter has some real possible potential to be a unique venture, and not just your typical visit to 'Baxterland' like previous visits have been in some respects.
There is a chance this could become something 'so much more then a destination'...as the song goes....

Thus my reason to resurrect this thread.
I enjoy sharing the adventures with readers here as we go along.

So get ready for yet another fun romp through that fabulous fantasyland made of dreams and by the hands of certain imaginative, creative people!
Get out your Membership cards to the Tony Baxter Fan Club kids....its time for another venture!

-

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
-

- * - * - * - * -

To quote some appropriate song lyrics from a current stage show at the Park....

' If we all believe in a world of dreams and imagination,
If we all let go there's no way to know where the spark will take us.
So much more then a destination,
A journey to...imagination...'

- * - * - * - * -

Yes friends, in two weeks the 'journey' continues ....yet again.
Time for another visit to that magical place where anything is possible.

This particular chapter has some real possible potential to be a unique venture, and not just your typical visit to 'Baxterland' like previous visits have been in some respects.
There is a chance this could become something 'so much more then a destination'...as the song goes....

Thus my reason to resurrect this thread.
I enjoy sharing the adventures with readers here as we go along.

So get ready for yet another fun romp through that fabulous fantasyland made of dreams and by the hands of certain imaginative, creative people!
Get out your Membership cards to the Tony Baxter Fan Club kids....its time for another venture!

-

I hope you have a great time, and I'll be interested to see how it plays out for you!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Yes!

I was JUST coming here now to share this wonderful video that was released today of Tony guiding us through his legendary ride concept - the famous 'Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday'.
It's been talked about by fans for ages, and Tony developed it as a collage project back in the late 60s when the film was released.

Absolutely wonderful concept...and just look at that fabulous facade eye candy!
I have shared some images of his artwork for this concept elsewhere on this Forum, but it's really nice to have him take you through the experience himself!

This video is a absolute MUST SEE for Members of the Tony Baxter Fan Club.
Even if you are not a 'Member', it is a MUST SEE!

Keep in mind while you are watching this that Tony was just a teenager at the time of conceptionalizing and designing this Attraction concept.
Incredible, and the ride system that was to be used is truly unique in presentation.

" It's a Jolly Holiday with Tony.....no wonder that it's Tony that we love...!"
:D
-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Eight days to go before the latest venture begins!
Watching that terrific video for the fifth time has put me in a magical mood.
Tony sure knows how to inspire....

This particular 'Tour' is going to be unique.
It originally was not going to happen at all...as i did not plan to revisit the West Coast this year after just being there in April.
Figured i would take a break and save up my money for next year when i plan on returning for the new additions to the Park and D23 Expo.

Well, things have a way of changing in unexpected...and amazing...ways.
Let's just say something truly remarkable happened and it made me change my mind in a hurry!
:geek:

Over the next few days i will be sharing some recent artwork that i have created related to Mr. Baxter.
The reason for this will become clear as time goes along.. ..so it will be rather appropriate to begin by sharing these works of mine here for two good reasons -
They relate to Tony and his marvelous creations, and this artwork is the primary reason why this particular venture is happening....and has the potential to be become something truly special.

More when the time comes....but for now, enjoy this first drawing!
Hand drawn in pencil, hand inked, then hand colored with markers and soft colored pencils.
No digital stuff, no computers helping in the process...no 'Photoshop' coloring or enhancement jazz.
Pen to paper.
Yeah...!

It's our favorite 'idea guy' letting his purple pal know that 'Imagination is your 'key' to unlock the hidden wonders of our world'...

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you!
That is very nice of you to say.

:)

Here is the next piece I'd like to share here.
The one design above all others that needs to be included in this thread, for good reason.
This one has a great story to go along with it, one that is still unfolding.

Take a look....

I call it 'The Heart Of All Creation'
Another hand drawn, hand inked, hand colored labor of love.

In the coming days I will be sharing close up views of all the scenes so you can get a better look at them all.
Lots of details will then be able to be better seen, as well as the fun expressions of the characters shown.

Three months of drawing, assembling, and then coloring this tribute to Tony and his works was an adventure in itself.
The small scale of the original drawings added up to something much bigger when the work was finally complete!

And speaking of scale, I should note that the size of the original art is only on a standard sized piece of paper...8 1/2 by 11 inches.
Keep this is mind as you look over all the detailing ....those drawings are TINY!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I think we need a thread of just your art work. I'm really enjoying it. Keep it coming!:)

Well shucks, perhaps at some point I will do that...maybe in the 'Imagineering' section.
Thank you for the kind words!

I will confess that a few months ago when I was working on these particular peices i was thinking at the time it might be fun to share the process in a thread here on the Forum.
Perhaps I need to reconsider now and actually do it!
;)

Well, until that happens we can all enjoy looking them over right here !

So here's another enticing tidbit -
A closer look at the scene featuring 'Tony's River Run' ( aka 'Splash Mountain' ) from the larger piece shown above.
Here our two imaginative friends take the big plunge ....and react accordingly!

At the time when this snapshot was taken, the design was still in the process of being colored.
Thus the odd 'uncolored' area in the bottom left corner.
Makes for a interesting contrast, seeing the bare lines of the unfinished section contrasted against the fully colored sections.

Art can be fun..!

-

Last edited:

brb1006

Well shucks, perhaps at some point I will do that...maybe in the 'Imagineering' section.
Thank you for the kind words!

I will confess that a few months ago when I was working on these particular peices i was thinking at the time it might be fun to share the process in a thread here on the Forum.
Perhaps I need to reconsider now and actually do it!
;)

Well, until that happens we can all enjoy looking them over right here !

So here's another enticing tidbit -
A closer look at the scene featuring 'Tony's River Run' ( aka 'Splash Mountain' ) from the larger piece shown above.
Here our two imaginative friends take the big plunge ....and react accordingly!

At the time when this snapshot was taken, the design was still in the process of being colored.
Thus the odd 'uncolored' area in the bottom left corner.
Makes for a interesting contrast, seeing the bare lines of the unfinished section contrasted against the fully colored sections.

Art can be fun..!

-
You're art keeps looking better. I can't wait to see what the D23 drawings will be like next year.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you for the compliments.
Perhaps next year i will actually get to color those D23 Expo doodles..!
;)

Speaking of doodles...
Here is a look at another scene from the larger design I shared earlier, 'The Heart of All Creation'.
The title of the full, multi-scene piece was inspired by a lyric from the famous tune written by the Sherman Brothers for the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction.
This same lyric from 'One Little Spark' is also referenced on Tony's Main Street Window at Disneyland.

This scene relates to that much-missed Attraction, with our two 'dream finders' off on a flight of fantasy....eagerly anticipating the marvelous discoveries that await them on their journey.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Here is a closer look at the central scene within the larger design.
One that I like quite a bit as I see at lot of 'Tony' in this one -

All ideas may begin in the imagination, but the next step is usually taking those ideas and capturing them onto paper.
Here our favorite 'idea guy' does just that, reminiscing about some treasured creations of the past.
A little purple pal looks on admiringly from over his shoulder....

Sharp eyed and knowledgable fans will notice the tiny 'drawings' Tony is doing.....
Two of them are based on original, real concept artwork he actually drew...but in tiny miniaturized form.

Upon his desk is a tiny 'pencil drawing' version of his famous concept painting for 'Discovery Bay'.
If you look closely you can make out the Nautilus submarine and Hyperion airship.

Below the scene, seemingly fluttering off into the ethers, is a full color 'watercolor' painting of 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad'.
This is a recreation of a well known concept piece he did back in the early 1970s.

The third 'pencil drawing' shown is of Dreamfinder's airship.
This is one I added myself, and is not based on any particular concept work.

Thought it would be a fun little touch to surprise those who have seen Tony's artwork.
:)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom