Pre-Trip The Empty Nest is Full Again pre-trip report!

Well, after last year's solo Empty Nest trip, I am happy to say the Nest is Full once again!!

We had a ball but I am so excited to be going back with my son, his wife, grandson (4) and my youngest grandson that has never been. He will be 18 months when we go and he happens to share a middle name with my hero. ;) Yep, that's right, none other than Elias... or as like to call him Little Eli. A huge shout out to his Gigi when they chose the name I threw into the hat for consideration. :) I live and breathe Disney 365 days a year and to know that it was a nod to that love, was pretty darn special.
IMG_0956.JPG

This is his I am going to Disney World face... Precious.. right? :)

Anywho so on to the cast - and specifics!

Hubby and I and will be celebrating our 25th anniversary, something we have done for numbers 15, 16, 17, 22 and 23. (Last year we went in May so missed it. Kinda funny the only solo trip we have ever taken wasn't on our anniversary but go figure..

IMG_0023.JPG

My sweet son whom I call Cap'n Jack in my trip reports, his wife, Tink, Tow-Mater, he will celebrate his 5th birthday while we are there. He celebrated his 3rd birthday there with us in 2015. And my little Eli, with me for a Gigi, I have to tell ya, he may be little, but he knows his Disney characters, especially Mickey and Pluto. I literally cannot wait to see him there!

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1108.JPG

He makes a pretty good Cap'n Jack even if I am biased. ;)

When- 8/30- 9/7 Old Key West Resort 1 bedroom Villa.

We have in the past stayed offsite way back when, then every All Star Resort, Pop, and Coronado Springs the last 3 trips. We booked two rooms at Coronado the previous trip that they went with us but since to get table service free dining we would had to paid the difference at Coronado, Deluxe made more sense. We looked at several options, I adore the Boardwalk but with 5 + a baby it was either a deluxe studio- too small, or 2 br- too pricey. I think we will be happy with OKW. I am just not too sure about the location. We drive though so buses and that are not an issue. I think the space will be great for privacy and for the kids. My husband and I pretty much go, go, go but obviously with kids, they will need a place to chill.

Of course, with the dates we are there and by my avatar you can probably guess... preps for MNSSHP are in full gear! I love to DIY it. Jack, of course is going as the Cap'n once again and the rest of his family are going to be fellow pirates. Not quite sure of the specifics yet, but we may even have a Jack the monkey this year. ;)

Hubby and I are either doing something HM related or sticking with Carl & Ellie. I want to do something different but that just so fits us. We walk hand in hand all the time and he will always be the Carl to my Ellie. I still have my adventure book which is full of past trip photos now so I am leaning towards it again but we will see.

We plan on taking as much in of F&W Festival as we can. I am so glad that it was earlier this year as we love it but I do not like going in November like it was the first time we did it.

Dining we have booked are our regulars-
Ohana's
Cape May Cafe
Tusker House
BoG
Coral Reef
Mama Melrose
New this trip for us Kona Cafe and Art Smith's Homecoming.

It is going to be very different going with 2 little ones again but I did it with mine when they were 2 and I think with all four of us we can handle it- not to mention my littlest fella is a trooper! 100 days to go!!!!!!

Anyone with experience at OKW please let me know what you thought about it.

My last three trip report links here, if you would like to read.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...sshp-free-dining-trip-report-8-29-9-7.889881/

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...report-11-days-with-free-dining.904661/page-3

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...oo-much-food-report-5-9-5-15-complete.913305/

I stink at links on here so if I messed it up.. sorry!

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
IMG_1186.JPG
Update... getting some amazing hair extension pieces for Cap'n Jack's wig! :) Baby is going as Jack the monkey and Tow Mater, either as Gibbs, or a prince to match his mom. For anybody that has ever read my trip reports, I love rabbits! Proud to say I met Thumper, Miss Bunny and Br'er Rabbit! This kid is a total Bunny hugger, just like his GiGi!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
IMG_1229.JPG
After my daughter's totally DIY costume we made in 2014, I feel like we have so much to live up to.. lol.

I just love making costumes, and putting them all together, it is so much fun. Found a few cute monkey ideas, for the baby, that are cool enough for hot humid weather I think. How my son wears his Cap'n Jack in that heat I do not know!!! :-/ Dedication!

On another note, my surprise gift, for no reason at all.. from my my son and daughter in law! They are perfect for me!! They get me, lol
IMG_1211.JPG

87 days to go!! I so hate to wish summer away but I cannot wait!!

Last edited:

wwmmd

We'll be going during the same time as you. How exciting to have your grandsons with you this trip!! I love that your family is so into MNSSHP. My husband has zero love for Disney (that's why we're leaving him at home this trip and probably all future trips :joyfull:) which bums me out since it'd be nice to schedule fun vacations like MNSSHP with him. You're Minnie shoes are adorable!!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
We'll be going during the same time as you. How exciting to have your grandsons with you this trip!! I love that your family is so into MNSSHP. My husband has zero love for Disney (that's why we're leaving him at home this trip and probably all future trips :joyfull:) which bums me out since it'd be nice to schedule fun vacations like MNSSHP with him. You're Minnie shoes are adorable!!
Oh no! I am very lucky that he loves Disney almost as much as I do. He drew a Mickey for me on our first date, I joke and say I knew I was in love at that moment lol. Maybe you will eventually wear him down. ;)

wwmmd

Oh no! I am very lucky that he loves Disney almost as much as I do. He drew a Mickey for me on our first date, I joke and say I knew I was in love at that moment lol. Maybe you will eventually wear him down. ;)

Awww, that's sweet. I'm afraid he'll never change his mind. He's been to WDW many, many times and is just over it. Plus he's claustrophobic and has slight anxiety issues which makes the crowds and waiting in any lines a very unpleasant experience. It's ok though since I have plenty of people in my life to enjoy vacations there with, including my children. :)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Gosh I had forgotten how obsessed I become over the details of a MNSSHP costume! I am questioning whether everyone will get that the baby is supposed to be Jack the monkey with monkey ears and a tail and then having him dressed pirate like? I just do not want him to be too hot. Decisions, decisions... lol

Speaking of decisions, I am thinking of adding Flying Fish to our meals and omitting one Cape May Cafe. We always do Cape May Cafe and usually twice. We love the place but kinda want to do something new. We have only eaten at Hollywood Brown Derby and Le Cellier as far as Signature dining goes so I really want to try a real Signature meal, outside of the parks. Was Fulton's a signature meal? We did eat there in 2008. Paddlefish looks better than I remember Fultons being but I think I am leaning more towards Flying Fish. Any opinions would be appreciated!

It is always a good sight to see my kitchen chalkboard with a countdown to Disney on it! I am so ready to get to go back to the Food & Wine Festival. Our last trip while it was going on was way back in 2009!
IMG_1293.JPG

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Okay, so I am so excited about what I have found for Cap'n Jack I have to share!

But first, I am going to back up and explain a little bit about the specialness of the Jack costume.
When I was a kid I watched all the Wonderful World of Disney shows and I was particularly fond of the episode where Walt talked about Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought it looked so amazing, and that he actually was a part of the one in Disneyland made me want to ride it so bad. I never made it to Disneyland or World as a child- I was a 25 year old with a 3 year old boy when I finally made it there. I had shown him the videos of the ride with Walt and there is a video of he and walking in hand and hand, almost skipping and laughing with excitement that we are getting ready to get to ride it. On the way out he had to get some awesome pirate gear of course. ;)
IMG_1327.JPG

Years later when the movie came out, we of course, went to see every one together, some twice, and Lord only knows how many times we have watched them. When his school did Disney Day senior year- it was a no brainer what he would be. We had the hat and wig, and I winged the rest out of things we already had. We even glued beard pieces into his, at the time, short goatee. It pulled most of his real beard out when we took it out.. he still fusses at me for that but he looked awesome and won spirit week. When we were able to go back for the Halloween party in 2014, I bought his costume, the sash was from a sheet I bleached, tore and drew lines on but we bought boots, and costume. It was great, he looked amazing but the DIY in me just needed to make it better..
We are using the hat but I am making everything but it and the boots. I ordered a wig, base brown and to it, I am adding dreads that I am in the process of making, found wonderful material for the scarf and sash, I am going to age it, and add a little different color back, making the vest out of linen, and adding buttons. The pants are going to be a pair of pajama bottoms cut off. I love MNSSHP, I love dressing up and I love being able to not just buy a costume, but knowing that I worked to make something for my kids just puts a smile on my face. You can buy all kinds of costumes, some totally amazing, but the ones crafted with love, and thought, and time, at least to me, are the best! ❤️
The beginnings- wish me luck!!
IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

*I did finally make it to Disneyland for a day in 2002- my pirate buddy did not get to go, but he was happy I finally got to ride the one I had dreamed about riding for so long.

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
We are less than 2 weeks away from online check in and fp+ selection day!! I have really got to sit down and concentrate on those choices. :-/
I know a lot of people love Fp+ but I do not, simply because, it was easier for us because we are not over planners as far as park plans go. We park hop like crazy and usually before only planned around dining and parties. In 2009 on our last day, for example, started the day at AK, took in EE, several times, Dinosaur, left went to MK, actually got to be one of the first to ride Space Mountain, after refurb on soft open, took in Splash, Big Thunder, CoP, and more, made our adrs at Epcot at Coral Reef lunch, rode Test Track, Soarin, Sum of all Thrills, and SE, then drove to DHS for the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights, TSM, RnRC, ToT, then hopped back to MK to say goodbye with Wishes.

Paper fastpasses worked so much better for the wing it, park commando type, at least it did for us. I do not like having to commit to 3 fastpasses so far ahead of time.

I am probably driving everybody crazy with my costume planning but I can't help but be so excited about how everything is going. I literally have so much going on at once, the trip will be here before I even know it! Have I said yet, how much I adore MNSSHP??

I successfully faded the material for Jack's sash and headscarf. The material I found for vest was a light beige but thanks to Rit Dye, pearl gray, 1 pack, and 1/4 pack denim blue, I think it is perfect. Found some awesome buttons, and a shirt I think I can adjust to make perfect, and Yoga pants, fisherman bottoms I am going to attempt to turn brownish gray. I am a bit more confident after the first 3 color fading/dying attempts worked. I do plan on adding dirty, greasy look to the fabrics as well. Here is where I am with items I am working on.
IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Still waiting on the pants, shirt, and base wig but the level of excitement I have for making this!?! If it looks half as good as does in my head... if it doesn't you guys never read this stuff anyway.

Pulled out the Carl and Ellie costumes from 2014, and I am still in love with them. With all of that done I can concentrate on the kiddos!
IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:

gdisneyfans

I know a lot of people love Fp+ but I do not, simply because, it was easier for us because we are not over planners as far as park plans go.
We're the same way. We just made our fastpasses yesterday for our upcoming trip in August and I had no clue what park on what days we wanted to go! We don't do a lot of ADR's so I guess I just worked around the few I made. We kind of liked waking up in the morning and choosing which park we were going to go to based on how we felt that day! But I guess it was nice to get a FP for all of the headliners we wanted, and just filled in the rest - those we can switch up on the fly:)

I cannot wait to see the costume when it's all finished - looks like a GREAT start!!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
While waiting on the wig, shirt and pants, I decided to redo my Adventure book. I am adding one to 2 pages per trip from trip 1 the last trip saving a few for this trip and having the characters we meet sign the book. It is going to be for my son to keep as memories of all our trips together.
IMG_1380.JPG

The inside I have done so far. Still have to add09, 14,15, and 16 trips.
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

And the sash is looking good. Sewed and cut ragged, tea stained and drying waiting to be greased and all dirty!
IMG_1379.JPG

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
We are less than 2 weeks away from online check in and fp+ selection day!! I have really got to sit down and concentrate on those choices. :-/
I know a lot of people love Fp+ but I do not, simply because, it was easier for us because we are not over planners as far as park plans go. We park hop like crazy and usually before only planned around dining and parties. In 2009 on our last day, for example, started the day at AK, took in EE, several times, Dinosaur, left went to MK, actually got to be one of the first to ride Space Mountain, after refurb on soft open, took in Splash, Big Thunder, CoP, and more, made our adrs at Epcot at Coral Reef lunch, rode Test Track, Soarin, Sum of all Thrills, and SE, then drove to DHS for the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights, TSM, RnRC, ToT, then hopped back to MK to say goodbye with Wishes.

Paper fastpasses worked so much better for the wing it, park commando type, at least it did for us. I do not like having to commit to 3 fastpasses so far ahead of time.

I am probably driving everybody crazy with my costume planning but I can't help but be so excited about how everything is going. I literally have so much going on at once, the trip will be here before I even know it! Have I said yet, how much I adore MNSSHP??

I successfully faded the material for Jack's sash and headscarf. The material I found for vest was a light beige but thanks to Rit Dye, pearl gray, 1 pack, and 1/4 pack denim blue, I think it is perfect. Found some awesome buttons, and a shirt I think I can adjust to make perfect, and Yoga pants, fisherman bottoms I am going to attempt to turn brownish gray. I am a bit more confident after the first 3 color fading/dying attempts worked. I do plan on adding dirty, greasy look to the fabrics as well. Here is where I am with items I am working on.
View attachment 211364
View attachment 211365
View attachment 211366
View attachment 211367
View attachment 211368
View attachment 211369
Still waiting on the pants, shirt, and base wig but the level of excitement I have for making this!?! If it looks half as good as does in my head... if it doesn't you guys never read this stuff anyway.

Pulled out the Carl and Ellie costumes from 2014, and I am still in love with them. With all of that done I can concentrate on the kiddos!
View attachment 211371

The Carl and Ellie costumes are classic. You'll never have to replace them until you want to. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom