Pre-Trip The Empty Nest is Full Again pre-trip report!

Well, after last year's solo Empty Nest trip, I am happy to say the Nest is Full once again!!

We had a ball but I am so excited to be going back with my son, his wife, grandson (4) and my youngest grandson that has never been. He will be 18 months when we go and he happens to share a middle name with my hero. ;) Yep, that's right, none other than Elias... or as like to call him Little Eli. A huge shout out to his Gigi when they chose the name I threw into the hat for consideration. :) I live and breathe Disney 365 days a year and to know that it was a nod to that love, was pretty darn special.
IMG_0956.JPG

This is his I am going to Disney World face... Precious.. right? :)

Anywho so on to the cast - and specifics!

Hubby and I and will be celebrating our 25th anniversary, something we have done for numbers 15, 16, 17, 22 and 23. (Last year we went in May so missed it. Kinda funny the only solo trip we have ever taken wasn't on our anniversary but go figure..

IMG_0023.JPG

My sweet son whom I call Cap'n Jack in my trip reports, his wife, Tink, Tow-Mater, he will celebrate his 5th birthday while we are there. He celebrated his 3rd birthday there with us in 2015. And my little Eli, with me for a Gigi, I have to tell ya, he may be little, but he knows his Disney characters, especially Mickey and Pluto. I literally cannot wait to see him there!

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1108.JPG

He makes a pretty good Cap'n Jack even if I am biased. ;)

When- 8/30- 9/7 Old Key West Resort 1 bedroom Villa.

We have in the past stayed offsite way back when, then every All Star Resort, Pop, and Coronado Springs the last 3 trips. We booked two rooms at Coronado the previous trip that they went with us but since to get table service free dining we would had to paid the difference at Coronado, Deluxe made more sense. We looked at several options, I adore the Boardwalk but with 5 + a baby it was either a deluxe studio- too small, or 2 br- too pricey. I think we will be happy with OKW. I am just not too sure about the location. We drive though so buses and that are not an issue. I think the space will be great for privacy and for the kids. My husband and I pretty much go, go, go but obviously with kids, they will need a place to chill.

Of course, with the dates we are there and by my avatar you can probably guess... preps for MNSSHP are in full gear! I love to DIY it. Jack, of course is going as the Cap'n once again and the rest of his family are going to be fellow pirates. Not quite sure of the specifics yet, but we may even have a Jack the monkey this year. ;)

Hubby and I are either doing something HM related or sticking with Carl & Ellie. I want to do something different but that just so fits us. We walk hand in hand all the time and he will always be the Carl to my Ellie. I still have my adventure book which is full of past trip photos now so I am leaning towards it again but we will see.

We plan on taking as much in of F&W Festival as we can. I am so glad that it was earlier this year as we love it but I do not like going in November like it was the first time we did it.

Dining we have booked are our regulars-
Ohana's
Cape May Cafe
Tusker House
BoG
Coral Reef
Mama Melrose
New this trip for us Kona Cafe and Art Smith's Homecoming.

It is going to be very different going with 2 little ones again but I did it with mine when they were 2 and I think with all four of us we can handle it- not to mention my littlest fella is a trooper! 100 days to go!!!!!!

Anyone with experience at OKW please let me know what you thought about it.

My last three trip report links here, if you would like to read.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...sshp-free-dining-trip-report-8-29-9-7.889881/

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...report-11-days-with-free-dining.904661/page-3

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...oo-much-food-report-5-9-5-15-complete.913305/

I stink at links on here so if I messed it up.. sorry!

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
No guilt for the purse! I got one myself the last time I went to Disneyland...LOL! I love it too!!
I really did need a smaller bag so it was sort of a necessity... lol My husband bought me the big Disneyana Dooney & Bourke for our anniversary in 2015. I won't carry it in the park though. I got a tiny droplet of water on the bottom and almost had heart failure lol. I love that this one is black and smaller and I love Haunted Mansion :)

PacNWTigger

I really did need a smaller bag so it was sort of a necessity... lol My husband bought me the big Disneyana Dooney & Bourke for our anniversary in 2015. I won't carry it in the park though. I got a tiny droplet of water on the bottom and almost had heart failure lol. I love that this one is black and smaller and I love Haunted Mansion :)
It really is the perfect size for the parks. I looked at the larger bags, but I honestly didn't want to carry everything that I could fit in there...LOL! My husband just looked at me and rolled his eyes when he looked at the price tag, but it is worth every penny to me. :greedy:;)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
It really is the perfect size for the parks. I looked at the larger bags, but I honestly didn't want to carry everything that I could fit in there...LOL! My husband just looked at me and rolled his eyes when he looked at the price tag, but it is worth every penny to me. :greedy:;)
I haven't told him I bought it yet. :-/ The big bags are too big and heavy even if you don't fill it up!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Beautiful sunny day here today finally, I should be in the pool but I am too wrapped up in Costume making! 54 days!-!-! I honestly, don't think I have ever been this excited for a trip. Maybe it is Mnsshp, mostly I think it is my babies (big and little) are going. :) Added buttonholes to Jack's vest. Makes it look much more finished I think and getting busy on Jack the monkey's vest! He is going to be so stinking cute! I hope with the ears, fur and tail, everyone gets it. Thought about writing Jack on the back of the vest? I have looked at a kazillion photos and I think the material is a pretty close match, after I wash and weather it a little. Using a t shirt, tea dyed and tattered, because he would burn up in long sleeves. (His daddy is just tough and a little crazy to wear what he does, but it does not faze him!)
IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1550.jpg

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
51 days to go! Took a much needed pool break today. Beautiful, hot, 90 degree day with full sun. No rain, except for about 10 minutes. A rare thing for us this spring/summer.

I don't know why, but it hit me today, that in a little over 2 months, our trip will be over. :( Planning is one of the best things about going to Disney. The buildup, every single day, again probably - why I love making Mnsshp costumes.

Speaking of- Tow Mater, totally approved of his Peter Pan shirt! Made it from felt, added eyelets and leather lacing. His belt will be felt and fitted with a child friendly dagger, out of foam. Taking a pair of shorts and cutting it jagged, and making a brown felt shoe cover to look like a boot. Of course, the hat, working on it later.
Off to Neverland!!!
IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

Headband monkey ears for the baby.
IMG_1574.JPG

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Got Mickey Mail today!! I really hoped they would be Halloween themed, but oh well! If it shows up on MDE, do we have to take the hard tickets? Anyway!!! MNSSHP tickets are here! Trip has been paid for for a few weeks, 49 days to go til we leave! Woo! Hoo!!!
IMG_1593.JPG

This little guy, dancing to Hot Dog, wearing a Dale hat. :)
IMG_1591.JPG

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I could be wrong but I think you need the hard ticket to get into the party. Better safe than sorry and ring them along on the day.
Totally loving the costumes!
I will definitely take them. I can't remember if we needed them in 2014 or not. They do show up on MDE but like you said, better safe than sorry! Thank you about the costumes. :) I am almost done, I think. Lol

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Well, I did not get a thing done costume wise this weekend. Too busy stalking sites for tidbits on D23 announcements! Very exciting stuff it sounds like, but a few bummers too. I figured GMR was a goner, but I had so hoped to do it one more time. We miss it by just a little over 2 weeks. :( Universe of Energy I am okay with not seeing again and very glad that at least for now, Tower of Terror stays the same.

One of the things I was so happy about when making fastpasses was that MS was not available. I have never ridden the intense version and I made a deal with the devil- aka, my normally, precious son, that when we could go back together I would ride it. I thought I totally had lucked out and it would not be open. I so, do not want to ride it. I told him if I full on- Exorcist vomit on him, it is his fault.

I did get a few Disney trip things done in between obsessing over D23 news. Got a much needed new set of luggage. I had to talk myself out of Mickey ones, because they were too small but found this awesome shirt made just for my little buddy! I LOVE Lion King!!
IMG_1619.JPG

I am so excited about people's reactions to the opening they showed of the live action movie. This is one movie, I am telling you better be done right! Too much to live up to there, just don't mess with perfection. If it was awesome as people said, hope the whole movie is.

Also have to show the most amazing surprise from my wonderful mom and dad! They have over the years, bought me some of the best Disney gifts. I have a Pooh Bear Quilt plate set my dad ordered me years ago, that hangs in my hall, garden Mickeys and lots of things. It just always makes me cry that when they see something and they think of me. I cried when I opened it, and especially when it played the music, and I made them cry too. Happy tears, on both sides though, full of love. It had been on backorder, for 2 months and my dad so worried it wouldn't get here before our trip.
IMG_1607.JPG

I love it!!!!

But, back to the trip.... 46 days til my feet are once again on Walt Disney World ground! If in fact, when the time comes and I do not make a post, y'all will know Mission Space did me in! For those not planning a trip then, please, say a prayer that it does not open while I am there. Just kidding, no, not really. Please!!! :-/

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
36 days to go and nothing like spending the morning trying to fix that our fastpasses, made so carefully, at the 60 day mark, had suddenly disappeared - but for my husband! Thought it was a glitch but no, it wasn't! The cast members went out of their way to help and fix it but the ones that were booked just for my son, daughter in law, and grandson, they could not see or fix. We are all grouped together now instead of the way I had it. My fault for not printing them out but I would so think they could fix the crazy problems they have with MDE. It took an hour to just to be able to make them for my son on our fastpass day because his tickets did not show up on my end. Lesson learned, print, print, print! Very thankful for the amazing cast members that we have spoken to, the software or whatever may stink but they are pretty awesome! I miss paper fastpasses so bad. What could go wrong with a paper fastpass? Just like if you try to go buy something and internet/ computers are down, they have no option to manually ring it up. Maybe I am old, (whopping- barely 44) but technology, as great as it is, totally sucks in a lot of other ways! *end of rant!*

36 days??? Does not even seem real. I honestly, did not see being able to go with my baby boy again for a long time, (the big one) and getting to take my little fella, I know he won't remember it.. but I will, and he will have 2 kazillion photos, to tell the story! Hopefully, Tow Mater, will remember more this time too. Acccckkkkk! I am so excited, I can't even stand it! :) :)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
IMG_1671.JPG
A really blurry selfie of Lil' Eli and his Disney Gigi, swear, after all these years, I may change my wdw name from She, to Gigi. ;) This kid makes me smile just like his daddy and Mickey Mouse could always do. From ear to ear. (Pun intended)

I went back, to a post I made in 2014, after a 5 year absence from the parks.. I had no idea, at the time, how this would make me feel, when I wrote it. They grow up, in some ways, but you get to see and do it all again, with not just with them but with their babies.
IMG_1680.jpg

That I am getting to do this, is more than I know how to put into words!!

gdisneyfans

View attachment 218983 A really blurry selfie of Lil' Eli and his Disney Gigi, swear, after all these years, I may change my wdw name from She, to Gigi. ;) This kid makes me smile just like his daddy and Mickey Mouse could always do. From ear to ear. (Pun intended)

I went back, to a post I made in 2014, after a 5 year absence from the parks.. I had no idea, at the time, how this would make me feel, when I wrote it. They grow up, in some ways, but you get to see and do it all again, with not just with them but with their babies.
View attachment 218984
That I am getting to do this, is more than I know how to put into words!!
This is so sweet! They do grow up to darn fast! Can't wait to read about your trip with your grand baby:happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom