The Choice Competition Thread

RMichael21

Challenge 6 (part 1) Results and Announcements

It was quite a close call. But since Team england/Sam did not submit, neither Team Monorail Red or Team Tiki will have anyone eliminated. Anyway, while Team Tiki went out of the box with their ideas, which was great, there were some ideas that either went too out of the box, or didn't make sense thematically to me. Team Monorail Red had a well-written project with some great overlay choices, I can't argue against any of those, only thing was I wish there was at least something (decorations, lights or anything) added to all 4 parks.

With that said...
Team Monorail Red!

Furthermore, Matt, Vox, and I had talked about this previously, and unfortunately due to inactivity, Team englanddg/Sam is going to have to be dissolved. Sorry work and life got in the way, hope to see you again, and we wish you the best going forward!

The only member to remain in the competition from that team will be @mickeyfan5534 and in order to balance the scales of the teams (to make it 5 on 5) mickeyfan5534 will be headed to Team MonorailRed.

As an additional note...Challenge 6 (part 2) will be the final "team" challenge in The Choice. Every challenge after will be individual leading to the ultimate crowning of the victor. Coaches will still have a role to play going forward, but more details on that will come soon. To prepare everyone, here is the remaining competition schedule we have ahead of us:

Oct 24 - Oct 28: Challenge 6 (part 2)
2 eliminated

-- Halloween Break Oct 28 - Oct 31 --

Nov 1 - Nov 8: Challenge 7
Bottom 2 eliminated

Nov 8 - Nov 14: Challenge 8
Bottom 2 eliminated

Nov 14 - Nov 24: Challenge 9
Winner is announced!

If anyone has questions feel free to ask! Challenge 6 (part 2) will be posted momentarily:)
So, just to clarify, who was eliminated?

TheOriginalTiki

The mazes were definitely intended to be full scale Halloween Horror Nights style with elaborate props, set pieces, and actors. Some of the mazes would be PG and would have served a role to introduce younger kids to the "Haunt" genre (Gravity Falls, Villain Con, Sid's Room) while others would be PG-13 and be more intense but still not nearly as genuinely terrifying as stuff you'd see at HHN (Pirates, Temple of Doom, Alien Encounter)

spacemt354

Chili's
The mazes were definitely intended to be full scale Halloween Horror Nights style with elaborate props, set pieces, and actors. Some of the mazes would be PG and would have served a role to introduce younger kids to the "Haunt" genre (Gravity Falls, Villain Con, Sid's Room) while others would be PG-13 and be more intense but still not nearly as genuinely terrifying as stuff you'd see at HHN (Pirates, Temple of Doom, Alien Encounter)
It was a nice idea! Just some of the locations were iffy for me. Some fit, others threw me.

Those types of mazes are part of what give Uni an edge over Disney in terms of Halloween festivities in my view. I think Uni's got Halloween over Disney and Disney has Christmas over Uni...it's why these past two challenges...you've been updating Disney for Halloween and now Uni for Christmas!

TheOriginalTiki

Very true, but keep in mind it's definitely not just Universal that's getting in on the "Haunt" game. Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and Busch Gardens all have mazes at most if not all of their parks. Some are definitely better than others and Horror Nights is DEFINITELY the crown jewel of the genre (and something that's pretty high up on my personal bucket list :) ) but there's no denying that Horror Nights has had a ripple effect on the theme park industry making mazes much more than just something edgy for teenagers.

Heck, I've been to Discovery Kingdom's Fright Fest and done their mazes the last two years and each year it was a wide age range from teenagers to people my age in their early to mid twenties, to older folks and even parents with young kids...young kids who were enthusiastically running through the mazes and not really scared at all...certainly braver than I was at their age that's for sure :p

Sorry, don't mean to go on a tangent or argue, just saying with Disney's budget and the popularity of the genre as a whole there's really no reason why they shouldn't get in on it. I really don't like how they do their Halloween parties as exclusive events and not something that every guest who visits the parks gets to enjoy.

spacemt354

Chili's
Very true, but keep in mind it's definitely not just Universal that's getting in on the "Haunt" game. Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and Busch Gardens all have mazes at most if not all of their parks. Some are definitely better than others and Horror Nights is DEFINITELY the crown jewel of the genre (and something that's pretty high up on my personal bucket list :) ) but there's no denying that Horror Nights has had a ripple effect on the theme park industry making mazes much more than just something edgy for teenagers.

Heck, I've been to Discovery Kingdom's Fright Fest and done their mazes the last two years and each year it was a wide age range from teenagers to people my age in their early to mid twenties, to older folks and even parents with young kids...young kids who were enthusiastically running through the mazes and not really scared at all...certainly braver than I was at their age that's for sure :p

Sorry, don't mean to go on a tangent or argue, just saying with Disney's budget and the popularity of the genre as a whole there's really no reason why they shouldn't get in on it. I really don't like how they do their Halloween parties as exclusive events and not something that every guest who visits the parks gets to enjoy.
Nah it's cool I agree with you. I've never been to them but I've just heard rave reviews of HHN. And if anyone in the Northeast has been to Salem, MA they have some awesome mazes for Halloween too.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Challenge 6 Part 2

Team MonorailRed

Getting into the Christmas Spirit, Team MonorailRed chose to theme Hogsmeade and Toon Lagoon to recieve a fresh, Christmas tune up. All along with a new nighttime show overlay, Universal's Holiday Spectacular: A Cinematic Celebration of Christmas.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Holidays at Hogsmeade

During the holiday season, Hogsmeade in Universal's Islands of Adventure will receive a whole new set of decor. Designed (with help from J.K. Rowling) specifically off the famous books and successful movies, as seen below.

latest

Included in this overlay is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which will feature its Hogwarts themed queue completely transformed with a Christmas and holiday theme.

article-2509850-19821BC600000578-859_634x399.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

In addition, the merchandise and dining locations will also be decked out in festive decor along with Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge.

Toon Lagoon's Holiday Festival: Presented By Rankin-Bass

Toon Lagoon is almost unrecognizable. During the holidays, it becomes a land dedicated to Rankin-Bass' Christmas specials rather than comic strip characters.

20141014123055%21Rankin-bass-1969.jpg

All of the comic strip-themed photo ops have been temporarily replaced with ones featuring characters from our favorite holiday specials. For example, Frosty the Snowman can be found near the entrance to the land. A LCI animatronic, Frosty talks, sings, counts, and calls visitors by name. And you can be sure as day that he is indeed a jolly happy soul.

frosty-clip-art-afd-98152.jpg

Even the shops and restaurants have a Rankin-Bass theme to them. The Betty Boop store is now the Island of Misfit Toys, where you can get your own Charlie-in-the-Box, Spotted Elephant, Scooter For Jimmy, or Dolly For Sue. Toon Extra has become Yukon Cornelius' Goods, a shop run by the peppermint-hungry prospector. Gasoline Alley has been temporarily converted into Santa's Workshop, a small snack stand where you can get your hands on a freshly-baked cookie. The Comic Strip Cafe is now the Shiny New Year Cafe, Cathy's Ice Cream is now Snow Miser's, Blondie's is now Sombertown Snacks, and Wimpy's is now S.D. Kluger's (his mail delivery truck is parked outside).

latest

But what about the attractions? Well, Dudley Do-Right has decided to go on vacation for the holiday, leaving Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to fill in his shoes. Rudolph's North Pole Falls gives the park's log flume a new, more Christmassy theming. You'll visit Santa's Workshop, the Bumble's Cave, and the Island of Misfit Toys, running into Rudolph and his friends along the way. You may get wet!

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-28%20at%205.19.27%20PM_zps524z1jxb.png

Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges has become Frosty's Florida Winter. The ride will be rethemed to Frosty the Snowman, but he's melting away. In the queue the boxes you usually see will be holding carrots, buttons, coal, and corncob pipes. On the ride you and the kids are trying to save Frosty.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-28%20at%204.42.07%20PM_zpsr0cfsvew.png

The Toon Lagoon Theater has gotten a new show, too. Featuring those mischievous Miser Brothers, A Miser Brothers Christmas pits guests in a battle between Snow Miser and Heat Miser. They're both too much!

2012_image5.jpg

Universal's Holiday Spectacular: A Cinematic Celebration of Christmas

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-28%20at%205.36.22%20PM_zpsut0wrgzu.png

As nighttime comes down over Universal Studios Park, there's a cool chill in the air and a magical feeling comes around the whole park. To cap off the night, Universal's Holiday Spectacular: A Cinematic Celebration of Christmas, plays for the guests. Fireworks, fountains, water screens, fire, and snow all combine to create a special Christmas for all to enjoy.
The show starts with the sound of sleigh bells jingling quietly before the sound morphs into grand church bells ringing over the classic Universal fanfare. Mist screens pop up with holiday visuals such as a Christmas tree and presents. We quickly move into Fun, a celebration of all the laughter that Christmas gave. Rudolf, the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town play as clips from classic Christmas comedies play. The mood then shifts to Joy, a celebration of Christmas cheer. Deck the Halls and Jingle Bells play as classic Christmas specials play on the large waterfall screens and fireworks burst in the sky. We then move to Snow. White Christmas plays as more fireworks burst in the air and snow lightly falls around and on the lagoon. Romance sets in as snow keeps falling and classic romantic scenes play, as White Christmas moves into a medley of Believe, I'll Be Home For Christmas, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. We then move into the understated, yet epic, finale. This is one of the few times all effects in the show are used. Snow falls, fireworks launch, clips play on the mist screens and the waterfall screens, and fountains raise up. A medley of Welcome Christmas and The Christmas Song plays, with Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Deck the Halls, White Christmas, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas weaving through before the final burst of golden fireworks reaches up into the sky and red and green fountains jump into the air. Just like that, the show is ended, like nothing has even occurred, aside from one final flurry of gently falling snow.​

TheOriginalTiki

Team Tiki Presents: Holiday's Merry Nights, a new Universal Studios seasonal event.

Universal Studios Orlando Resort is ready for the holidays! To celebrate, a few attractions will be temporarily rethemed to the holidays.

-The Simpsons's Ride
The Simpsons's Ride gets a crossover with Futurama. Some of your favorite Futurama characters will now join the Simpsons as Sideshow Bob, and now Robo Santa, have a new Christmas Ride of Doom to defeat their enemies once and for all!
futurama-robot-santa.jpg

Dudley Do Right's Rip-saw Falls

Dudley's flume ride gets some decorating, with trees, ornaments, and lights with snow added to the great drop at the end!

The Amazing Spider Man

Spider Man has a new enemy to face. Say hello to... Santa Doom!!!
SantaDoompg3.jpg

As well as ride overlays, there will be new holiday mazes. Here they are:

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (near Men in Black)

Walk through and help Santa defeat the invading Martains and save Christmas in the North Pole!

Durs-ReginaldDursingtonSantaClausConquersTheMartians880.jpg

Rise of the Guardians: The Revenge of Pitch

Walk through Santa's Workshop, meet your favorite holiday friends, and watch out for the evil Pitch Black!

images

Scott Pilgrim's Very Canadian Christmas (near Ripshaw Falls)

Take a trip to Scott's wacky world up North, and celebrate a crazy holiday to remember.

tumblr_lbmhsonOin1qez6mxo1_500.gif

The Island of the Misfit Toys (inside the old Triceratops Encounter)

Venture to the Island of Misfit Toys, and spend the holidays with your favorite toy friends, as well as a few appearances from Rudolph and Hermie the Elf!
island-misfit-toys.jpg

As well as mazes and rethemes, we have some special events just for the holidays!

-Buddy the Elf meet n' greet

tumblr_nfove1qLDO1s0fa81o1_500.gif

-Mt. Crumpet Snow Sleds at Seuss Landing

six-flags-discovery-kingdom.jpg

-"A Christmas Carol" stage production

i.php

-Holidays in the Jurassic Park

christmas_in_jurassic_park_by_pyro_raptor-d8baoc5.jpg

-Hogwarts Christmas Festivities

hogwarts-christmas.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
I apologize in advance if these reviews are a little shorter than usual. Second round of exams are swiftly approaching...

Team Monorail Red
Nice job this round! In regards to your overlays, the Harry Potter seasonal overlay is a must...I'm surprised that Uni hasn't done it. If they have, well...I haven't heard of it. It's a great idea, so I won't count it against you if they did it already. As a HP fan myself...I would have liked to know slightly more detail in regards to what you'd do, just because there's specific events in the books that you could reference that take place at Christmas.

Toon Lagoon was definitely another good overlay with Rudolph, Frosty, and the Misers! Great job with that overall. And lastly, the show's detailed description and ending was pretty neat with the final snowflake, but seemed a little cluttered leading up to that with several tonally different Christmas songs playing. I would have probably stuck with all enthusiastic songs through the fireworks finale.

Overall though, a solid job yet again!

Team Tiki
I really like the choices, and such an eclectic sampling of them too despite having only 3 required. The Futurama/Simpsons crossover was pretty cool, and I could see that seamlessly blending in. Seeing Santa Doom as the villain for the Spider-Man ride...I never would have expected that, but as a comic-book fan I absolutely approve!

A Santa Claus conquers the Martians maze? Such a retro selection...and one totally out of left field. I'm assuming this maze will be some sort of satire on how awful the film is:p I don't ever expect to see this in Uni...but it was a bold choice.

The Island of Misfit Toys is also a nice one...I think that would totally go well for the holidays. And while I don't usually get excited for Meet and Greets...i would absolutely go meet Buddy the Elf. That's probably up there with my favorite Christmas movies (along with Christmas Vacation)

The last part of the project seems to teeter off and while all those additions are great, I would like to know a little more about them. Just a title doesn't really tell me what is going to happen in Jurassic Park or Harry Potter. Nice ideas, and although a lot of detail isn't really a requirement...it needs a little bit of description.

Overall, great job to both teams! Each had different strengths and weaknesses....I appreciated the solid big picture presentation from Team Monorail Red but I also liked the quirky yet very interesting choices from Team Tiki. And while I thought Team Tiki had the better overlays, I thought Team Monorail Red did a better job elaborating on the required 3 overlays.

I'll wait for Matt or Vox to chime in, but if I don't hear from them, I'll come back and make a decision so you don't have to wait too long. Thanks everyone!

spacemt354

Chili's
Challenge 6 (part 2) Results

Well...this was definitely the hardest challenge to decide on. And I've debated it a lot. I haven't heard from Matt or Vox, but this seems like a fair decision...​

To me at least...there's no clear cut winner. I really want to give Team Tiki the win this round for going above the minimum 3 required overlays with great choices, but it's hard for me to overlook the fact that the project seems half complete, and I wish there was more contribution from the team as a whole, because if there was, this wouldn't be a hard decision. And while I feel like this is not the best project Team Monorail Red has done, it's hard to overlook the fact that they followed exactly what the instructions asked for, and submitted a more complete proposal.

With that said...
Team Monorail Red

In regards to eliminations, based on relative inactivity on Team Tiki, we are unfortunately going to have to eliminate @ctxak98 and @GMR710 from The Choice. It was fantastic seeing you both come out this season. Sorry life gets in the way sometimes. It's completely understandable. If you can, please stay around and follow the rest of the competition and we hope to see you around the forums!

Challenge 7 will be posted on Sunday November 1st. From now until then, you're all on Halloween break! :DGo relax, eat some candy, and enjoy the holiday!

When we return...we are down to the final eight...hmm the "Elite" Eight:cool:

@Brer Panther
@RMichael21
@mickeyfan5534
@Flippin'Flounder
@IDInstitute
@DSquared
@ScorpionX
@mharrington

Also a big thanks to coaches @MonorailRed and @TheOriginalTiki for all your work and support so far! For next round, since it will be individual, you've got some time off, but stick around because the coaches will be back soon enough!

Till then, Happy Halloween! And thanks again to all!

RMichael21

Hey all! So, I actually have ended up having quite a bit of free time tomorrow (and other contestants may not agree, but feel free to chime in) and I was wondering if maybe we could receive our newest challenge tonight. I mean, while it's Halloween, it's still an extra day to brainstorm in my opinion which is VERY valuable especially with my busy schedule. I mean, with homework, my school musical, mid-terms and such it's becoming difficult to balance and I (and I assume everyone else) need all the time that I can get. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Hey all! So, I actually have ended up having quite a bit of free time tomorrow (and other contestants may not agree, but feel free to chime in) and I was wondering if maybe we could receive our newest challenge tonight. I mean, while it's Halloween, it's still an extra day to brainstorm in my opinion which is VERY valuable especially with my busy schedule. I mean, with homework, my school musical, mid-terms and such it's becoming difficult to balance and I (and I assume everyone else) need all the time that I can get. :)
I don't really have an issue with that, but I would want to ensure to the best possible extent that everyone is aware that it's being posted earlier. It's not really fair if only one or two people are aware and have an extra few days.

Flippin'Flounder

That would be great, the more time the better :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Well 3 are quickly interested...that's enough for me to be honest.

Here's what I'll do...

There are 5 others @Brer Panther @DSquared @mharrington @mickeyfan5534 @ScorpionX that I've all now tagged and should get a notification.

Challenge 7 will be posted momentarily (a day ahead of schedule) due to requests for more time.

Please note! If you are around, please respond, like, comment, do something so that I know you got this message. If you are busy or out of town tomorrow on Halloween, please let us know too. Honor code here though guys. If you're busy, you'll have a grace period for the submission date up to 24 hours after the originally scheduled due date (Sunday November 8th) to ensure that everyone has a fair playing field.

Hopefully that makes it fair for everyone. The people who want it early, and the people who might be busy.

Challenge 7 coming up!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom