The Choice Competition Thread

Matt7187

Original Poster
Its finally here! The draft is over, and here are the teams!

Team @englanddg:
@David2319 @MCParradox @orlando678- @Tony the Tigger and @Zweiland

Team @MonorailRed:
@IDInstitute @RMichael21 @Brer Panther @Flippin'Flounder and @Perry2x2

Team @Sam4D23:
@brb1006 @DisneyPrincess1993 @Simon Sulk @Twilight_Roxas and @GMR710

Team @TheOriginalTiki:
@Doodlyday @ctxak98 @DSquared @mharrington @mickeyfan5534 @ScorpionX

And check out the discussion thread here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-choice-discussion-thread.905133/

Challenge one coming in 3 mins!!! And once again, the rules post from the intro thread:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Choice, the newest imagineering competition on WDWMagic! This competition is unlike any other ever seen around here. Being judged by me, @spacemt354 and @Voxel, this comp will be a highlight of 2015! Taking subliminal influence from the hit NBC singing show The Voice, there will me many things that make The Choice unique. Some of those include:

-The Blind Audition
-Advisors that will guide you along through the competition
-Saves
-Totally Unique Challenges

Now let's go more in depth on those.

The Blind Audition
An aspect from The Voice, but it has been modified to work for this format. Later this week once we fill up all twenty spots, I will send out a very simple prompt for you to respond in 3 sentences or less through PM. Then, I will in turn post it in a PM with the advisors, who will read the submission but not know it is yours. They will then decide whether they want you or not, and teams will be decided that way.

Advisors
There are four advisors for The Choice, and they are @MonorailRed, @englanddg, @Sam4D23, and @TheOriginalTiki.

Their task will be to look over their team, guide them in the right direction, and post the final submission (unless they are busy, it can be delegated to a contestant if me or another judge is alerted 24 hours before the due date). They can not do any actual work for the submissions unless notified in the prompt, or it will result in an automatic loss that round.

Saves
There will be saves from the advisors. Used in earlier seasons of The Voice, each advisor could save one eliminated contestant from another team and bring them onto their team, but there is a catch. The advisor will have to choose someone on their team to leave the competition. Each advisor has one save for the season.

Unique Challenges
The judges and I have poured through the challenges from ever major comp since Masters of the Parks season 1 to ensure we have no duplicate challenges.

Rules/Guidelines
-There will be no extensions on due dates unless a judge is notified 24 hours in advance, and it will only be extended by 3 hours max
-Keep all discussion on the discussion thread that will be created
-Critiquing other contestants submissions is allowed, but don't be nasty. You can be critical, but keep tempers cool. Remember this is just a game
-Eliminations will be handled by the judges, so there is absolutely no need for alliances
-We will try as hard as we can to make due dates on weekends, and give breaks for Halloween and Thanksgiving
-Challenges will mainly be in your teams, but occasionally there will be exceptions
-There are no merges, once everyone from a team is eliminated, so is the advisor
-Don't copy work previously used, or it will result in an automatic loss
-Have fun!!

We promise that this will be one of your favorite comps ever, and make sure to expect the unexpected!

6284861_orig.png

Last edited:

Matt7187

Original Poster
CHALLENGE 1:
A Rockin' New Soundtrack
4154106562_ccf54c2b4d_z.jpg

Welcome to Challenge 1! This round, you are tasked with creating all new soundtracks for Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Yes, sountrackS.

In your team of 5 (or 6) you will propose 5 new playlists for this fan favoriteride. The required genres for you are:

1. Rock
2. Alternative
3. Pop
4. Rap
5. EDM (Electronic Dance Music)​
  1. You do not have to design 5 different exteriors, interiors, queues, or pre-shows. You can choose keep the current G-Force Records or design a new record company that will be the home for all 5 genres that you choose.​
  2. Each genre should only include one band/artist - and the artist/band must actually be part of that genre (any questions on who goes in what genre feel free to ask myself or the judges in the Discussion Thread!)​
  3. In your proposal, you should include links (YouTube is your best source) to the songs that will be played throughout the duration of the ride. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is about a 2 minute ride.​
  4. Please also detail the parts of each song (example 0:30-1:10) that will be include in the ride, and the order that they will be included in.​
Teams will be ranked based on their 5 new playlists. For instance:

Team A
Alternative 1st Rock 2nd Pop 3rd Rap 4th EDM 3rd
Team B
Alternative 2nd Rock 1st Pop 2nd Rap 2nd EDM 1st
Team C
Alternative 3rd Rock 4th Pop 1st Rap 3rd EDM 4th
Team D
Alternative 4th Rock 3rd Pop 4th Rap 1st EDM 2nd

After each genre has been ranked, the total (overall) rankings will determine the winner! In this example, Team B would be the winner with an average finish of 1.6

The team's coach will post the final proposal in this thread and reviews/feedback will follow!

There will be one contestant eliminated this round from the last place team, so do the best you can and have a rockin time!
Challenge is due Wednesday September 23rd at 7 PM EST

Good Luck!!​

RMichael21

CHALLENGE 1:
A Rockin' New Soundtrack
4154106562_ccf54c2b4d_z.jpg

Welcome to Challenge 1! This round, you are tasked with creating all new soundtracks for Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Yes, sountrackS.

In your team of 5 (or 6) you will propose 5 new playlists for this fan favoriteride. The required genres for you are:

1. Rock
2. Alternative
3. Pop
4. Rap
5. EDM (Electronic Dance Music)​
  1. You do not have to design 5 different exteriors, interiors, queues, or pre-shows. You can choose keep the current G-Force Records or design a new record company that will be the home for all 5 genres that you choose.​
  2. Each genre should only include one band/artist - and the artist/band must actually be part of that genre (any questions on who goes in what genre feel free to ask myself or the judges in the Discussion Thread!)​
  3. In your proposal, you should include links (YouTube is your best source) to the songs that will be played throughout the duration of the ride. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is about a 2 minute ride.​
  4. Please also detail the parts of each song (example 0:30-1:10) that will be include in the ride, and the order that they will be included in.​
Teams will be ranked based on their 5 new playlists. For instance:

Team A
Alternative 1st Rock 2nd Pop 3rd Rap 4th EDM 3rd
Team B
Alternative 2nd Rock 1st Pop 2nd Rap 2nd EDM 1st
Team C
Alternative 3rd Rock 4th Pop 1st Rap 3rd EDM 4th
Team D
Alternative 4th Rock 3rd Pop 4th Rap 1st EDM 2nd

After each genre has been ranked, the total (overall) rankings will determine the winner! In this example, Team B would be the winner with an average finish of 1.6

The team's coach will post the final proposal in this thread and reviews/feedback will follow!

There will be one contestant eliminated this round from the last place team, so do the best you can and have a rockin time!

Challenge is due Wednesday September 23rd at 7 PM EST

Good Luck!!​
Will we receive PMs or should we start them on our own?

Zweiland

I'm going to have to drop out of the competition. I really shouldn't have signed up in the first place. So sorry about it, and good luck to everyone.

MonorailRed

Applebees
CHALLENGE 1: A Rockin' New Soundtrack

One of the flagship rides at Disney Hollywood Studios, and perhaps even Walt Disney World itself, is the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. It is arguably the most thrilling rides Disney has in any of its theme parks, and is incredibly popular. However, since its opening a decade and a half ago, it has received very minimal changes. After such a long time, it is deserving of a fresh overhaul. By summer 2016, this roller coaster will be given a brand new theme and more interactive ride experience. In addition, it is a relatively short refurbishment that makes a ride feel brand new to help DHS during its park wide rehab.

Backstory
Guests are visiting G-Force Records on a VIP, all-access tour when they stumble into a recording studio. Here, historic artists such as Drake, Queen, Daft Punk, Taylor Swift and Fall Out Boy are in a recording booth. The previous backstory of the attraction has been broadened, so instead of following Areosmith to a concert, you'll be following these artists to the "Hollywood Music Festival" in a giant stretch limo!

Facade
In order to convey a more general idea for the broadened theme of the attraction, the facade of the ride will be re-skinned into a façade inspired by the famous Capital Records building.

1334763664_24.jpg

In addition, the famous guitar on the façade will be removed in order to create a more general theme to go along with the attraction.

Currently in the queue of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, there are large posters that showcase the latest Disney music or movie, but we've decided to get rid of these and replace them with replica posters of the music artists that are now featured in the attraction. These would tell guests about the backstory and that they'll be able to see these artists at the Hollywood Music Festival. Then, before the pre-show, guests can scan their magic bands and make a preference as to which sound track they'd like to have for the ride.

(Note: For A reference point that the launch is at 00:43 in the attraction.)

Rock: Queen

Pre-Launch: "Under-Pressure" (0:00-0:29)

Launch: "We Will Rock You" (0:13-0:40)

Coaster: "Bohemian Rhapsody" (4:12-5:00)

Alternative: Fall Out Boy

FoB Intro: 0-30 seconds- The four band members talk to the riders to try to rev them up and get them ready. They say a few funny lines and sound the most like Aerosmith because it is the most similar genre.

30-52 seconds- "Centuries" plays as the starting song as the selection builds a climax as the ride starts, and then the following music fits the ride well. (3:26-3:46 in song)

52-91 seconds- The famous and very recognizable "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark" plays next. (0:40-1:19 in song)

91-128 seconds- "Uma Thurman", one of FoB's most popular songs, is the third and final one to conclude the ride. (2:51-3:28 in song)

Songs may be edited/remixed slightly to allow for good transitions and keep it at the required length.

Pop: Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift: This famous pop singer talks to the excited riders as they approach the launch.

Pre-lauch: (00:00 - 00:33)
- 1:11 - 1:44 in the video below.

Launch/Ride: (00:33 - 2:06)
- 2:33 - 3:50 + a replay of the last chorus in the video below

Rap: Drake

(0-30 sec) Drake Intro: Will talk to the crowd in Hollywood and he will shout out many different things linked to the G-Force Record company.
(30-43 sec) You hear the intro to trophies (0-13 of the song on the video) and hear Drake counting down over the intro.

(43-65 sec) You hear Drakes first rapping verse in trophies. (13-35 of song on the video)
(65-85 sec) You hear Drakes rapping verse in Started from Bottom. (30-50 of song on the video)

(85-105 sec) You hear Drake rapping a verse from his song Worst Behavior. (50-1:10 of song on the video)

(105-126 sec) You hear Drakes verse in the song 0 to 100/The Catch Up. (19-40 of song on the video)

Most of the songs would be rewritten due to the lyrics being explicit or about un-Disney like topics just as Love in an Elevator was changed to Love in a Roller Coaster. Tell me if you think there need to be any changes.

EDM: Daft Punk

Daft Punk: The dynamic duo that makes up Daft Punk talks to the guests for the first 30 or so seconds, hyping them up for the exciting launch. Below the dialogue, the music will play.
Pre-launch: (00:00 - 0:22)
- 00:04 - 00:26 in the video below.

Fades into next song.

Pre-launch/Launch: (0:22 - 00:43)
- 00:00 - 00:21 in the video below.

Coaster: (00:43 - 02:06)
- 00:52 - 02:15 in the video below.

Fades Out and Guests Exit the Attraction.

As you can see, this e-ticket roller coaster keeps the same elements that fans love, while making it feel like a new ride with a different storyline/ride experience. This refurbishment brings the ride more up to modern standards and helps shape the future of DHS. Thanks for reading!

Voxel

President of Progress City

One of the flagship rides at Disney Hollywood Studios, and perhaps even Walt Disney World itself, is the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. It is arguably the most thrilling rides Disney has in any of its theme parks, and is incredibly popular. However, since its opening a decade and a half ago, it has received very minimal changes. After such a long time, it is deserving of a fresh overhaul. By summer 2016, this roller coaster will be given a brand new theme and more interactive ride experience. In addition, it is a relatively short refurbishment that makes a ride feel brand new to help DHS during its park wide rehab.

Backstory
Guests are visiting G-Force Records on a VIP, all-access tour when they stumble into a recording studio. Here, historic artists such as Drake, Queen, Daft Punk, Taylor Swift and Fall Out Boy are in a recording booth. The previous backstory of the attraction has been broadened, so instead of following Areosmith to a concert, you'll be following these artists to the "Hollywood Music Festival" in a giant stretch limo!

Facade
In order to convey a more general idea for the broadened theme of the attraction, the facade of the ride will be re-skinned into a façade inspired by the famous Capital Records building.

1334763664_24.jpg

In addition, the famous guitar on the façade will be removed in order to create a more general theme to go along with the attraction.

Currently in the queue of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, there are large posters that showcase the latest Disney music or movie, but we've decided to get rid of these and replace them with replica posters of the music artists that are now featured in the attraction. These would tell guests about the backstory and that they'll be able to see these artists at the Hollywood Music Festival. Then, before the pre-show, guests can scan their magic bands and make a preference as to which sound track they'd like to have for the ride.

(Note: For A reference point that the launch is at 00:43 in the attraction.)

Queen. Enough said!

FoB Intro: 0-30 seconds- The four band members talk to the riders to try to rev them up and get them ready. They say a few funny lines and sound the most like Aerosmith because it is the most similar genre.

30-52 seconds- "Centuries" plays as the starting song as the selection builds a climax as the ride starts, and then the following music fits the ride well. (3:26-3:46 in song)

52-91 seconds- The famous and very recognizable "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark" plays next. (0:40-1:19 in song)

91-128 seconds- "Uma Thurman", one of FoB's most popular songs, is the third and final one to conclude the ride. (2:51-3:28 in song)

Songs may be edited/remixed slightly to allow for good transitions and keep it at the required length.

I love Fall Out Boy, I saw them live a few years back and own every single own of their albums. That being said I'm disappointed that Immortals did not make this playlist. With how large of hit Big Hero Six was, this would have been a perfect nod to it.
Taylor Swift: This famous pop singer talks to the excited riders as they approach the launch.

I would post a ton of T-Swizzle gifs right now to show my approval. I could see alot of people want to see this option.

(0-30 sec) Drake Intro: Will talk to the crowd in Hollywood and he will shout out many different things linked to the G-Force Record company.
(30-43 sec) You hear the intro to trophies (0-13 of the song on the video) and hear Drake counting down over the intro.

(43-65 sec) You hear Drakes first rapping verse in trophies. (13-35 of song on the video)
(65-85 sec) You hear Drakes rapping verse in Started from Bottom. (30-50 of song on the video)

(85-105 sec) You hear Drake rapping a verse from his song Worst Behavior. (50-1:10 of song on the video)

(105-126 sec) You hear Drakes verse in the song 0 to 100/The Catch Up. (19-40 of song on the video)

Most of the songs would be rewritten due to the lyrics being explicit or about un-Disney like topics just as Love in an Elevator was changed to Love in a Roller Coaster. Tell me if you think there need to be any changes.

I think this was the best Rap option we saw presented to us, but it's still misses the mark in my books. I feel like everyone was better off going with someone like Run-DMC or more popular on a mass scale. I think the issue with this is the number of songs that have to be re-edited.

Daft Punk: The dynamic duo that makes up Daft Punk talks to the guests for the first 30 or so seconds, hyping them up for the exciting launch. Below the dialogue, the music will play.

Fades into next song.

As you can see, this e-ticket roller coaster keeps the same elements that fans love, while making it feel like a new ride with a different storyline/ride experience. This refurbishment brings the ride more up to modern standards and helps shape the future of DHS. Thanks for reading!

I love Daft Punk, and while I like the options your offering here you made a big mistake because Daft Punk don't speak. They haven't spoken on camera in years and I think it would be a difficult thing to achieve. I love the soundtrack listing though.

Overall I love the music choice, but it feels more like a reskin of Rip, Rocket, Ride then a great interactive experience. Nothing was changed in the ride itself to reflect the music, and nothing much was describe to say how the ride would match the soundtrack. Would the ride themes match the soundtrack, it would be hard with each car having multiple tracks.

Since Sam is MIA, I posted on our team's behalf.

Team @Sam4D23:

Challenge 1: A Rockin' New Soundtrack

Background: We will keep G-force records and each ride will have a different theme and feel to give it a unique background.

Facade: Our facade will pay homage to the lovely Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum located in Cleveland, Ohio. It is similar to the Louvre because music is an important piece of art. :D

F4B48293C4575314D3D5B42B0D598E12.jpg

I love the facade change, but only fear is that it would not match in with the Hollywood look going on in that section of the park.
Rap

Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff
Background: The songs will be playing as a road trip from West Philadelphia to Bel Air, CA as homage to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. This should be a fun, adventurous ride for children, as well as adults. Everyone can be a part of the 90s once again. #true90skid

1. Fresh Prince of Bel Air Theme Song (0:00-0:45)

2. Parents Just Don’t Understand (1:20-1:35)

https://youtu.be/jW3PFC86UNI

3. Brand New Funk (0:00-0:20)

https://youtu.be/u68UmIY0lFQ

I love this, but I think you would have been much better going with straight Will Smith, starting with Fresh Prince and going into Switch, Maimi or a few others. I think with this option you have a very limited audience.
EDM

Calvin Harris

Background: The EDM will serve as a "pump it up" music to a high school dance and it will throw back the 80s with the dancing and the attire; similar to time traveling

Soundtrack:

1. Feel So Close (0:41-1:00)

https://youtu.be/AEh3zEMYKzA

2. Summer (1:02-1:32)

https://youtu.be/McEoTIqoRKk

3. Sweet Nothing

(0:31-1:09)

I think you did a perfect selection for EDM here. I love the dance option and time Travel feel of the ride.

POP
Background: The ride will use the songs as the ride will simulate riding through a fun filled, light-oriented city where the sky is the limit since P!nk likes to sing about being independent and having fun. P!nk is a great pop artist to use because she sings about fun and real life things that boys can relate to. Other famous girly pop artists sing about love and dating, which would not appeal to the male audience, as well as younger children.

P!nk

Soundtrack:

1. Get This Party Started (0:10-0:25)

https://youtu.be/RD6V6HPccbY

2. Raise Your Glass (0:35-1:03)

https://youtu.be/570tFRoRR0A

3. So What (0:34-0:58)

https://youtu.be/EH6atHxFCtE
This will be a hard one, I love T-swift, but P!NK has the spunk a roller coaster demands. This was different from anything I was expecting and I love it.
Rock

The Beatles

Background: This ride will be more psychedelic in notion focusing on important elements like light and love :inlove:. It would be fun for all audiences because kids will have a really cool kaleidoscope world to travel in (with the cart designed like an actual Yellow Submarine) and adults will love the throwback to The Beatles.

Soundtrack:

1. Here Comes the Sun (1:15-1:27)

https://youtu.be/BxzEeKfpyIg

2. Yellow Submarine (0:27-0:45)

https://youtu.be/H1jmcfrYIRc

3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (0:00-1:00)

https://youtu.be/eKXfqpg-Q-k

4. All You Need is Love (1:02-1:19)

https://youtu.be/ydfH7iuLR0I
I heart the Beatles, and while it may not be the perfect "Rock" soundtrack, the possibility of this sound track playing would bring a massive crowd.
Alternative

Coldplay

Background: The songs will be used to simulate an intergalatic adventure (because Coldplay is oriented towards space allusions) and will basically be a ride of time traveling through space.

1. Sky Full of Stars (1:16-1:41)

2. Viva La Vida (2:18-2:46)

3. Paradise (3:27-3:53)

I feel like this is a great ride option, I'm just not a massive fan of Coldplay but I feel like I would enjoy this.

Overall great work, I'm glad you offered different "lighting" and themed sequences for the train. It's very possible in todays world of technology and a nice touch.

Matt7187

Original Poster
Team @MonorailRed:

Thank you for getting it in, I appreciate it. Regarding the queue and facade, I liked that you went above and beyond the requirements to do that. I am especially a fan of the Capital Records facade, and the queue was good enough. One concern with the "backstory", if you will, is that you have it as a music festival occurring that you need to get to, and that is perfectly fine. But, what I was looking for was 5 different rides, not just playlists. For example, it isn't just randomly choosing between Fall Out Boy or Drake, it would be a different experience for each inside the ride as well, but it was fine. Just a bit too Rip Ride Rockity for my tastes. You guys did great with Queen and Fall Out Boy, no complaints there, all very solid choices. I am probably the biggest Drake fan on these boards, so that choice really appealed to me. Unfortunately, I believe that the songs chosen would not be the best for the ride. I would have not chosen Worst Behavior or Started from the Bottom and probably went along the lines of some newer songs like Back to Back or something newer. Although, I do really, really like the Trophies intro! Lastly on Drake, you said 0-100 would be played, but Energy was linked, but no big deal. Daft Punk was also a good choice in my eyes, but just like for Drake, song choice could have been a lot better. The goal is to appeal to the mainstream audience as well as the hardcore fans, so choosing songs like Get Lucky or Harder Better Faster Stronger would have suited you better. Lastly, the biggest head scratcher of all, Taylor Swift. The songs were fine, but Taylor is far from the artist I would choose for an intense roller coaster, considering most of her fans are young girls who wouldn't ride this. Overall, good job, but the song selection left some to be desired.

Team @Sam4D23

Also, thank you as well for getting it in. Having visited the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, I love the building, but since only 1/5th of the options are rock, I think a different facade could have worked better. I absolutely loved the P!nk and Calvin Harris options, those were knocked out of the park! Will Smith on the other hand, not so much. Considering that he hasn't touched the studio in around 10 years, I think his days of being considered an MC are over. While reruns of Fresh Prince keep his rap persona relevant, I don't think it makes it relevant enough to warrant a whole ride dedicated to it. The Beatles would obviously draw huge crowds and it would be super fun, so good job there. Lastly, Coldplay. You definitely chose the right options for songs, but I feel like there could have been a better group for alternative. Coldplay isn't as giant as they used to be, so fresher faces could have worked better. Overall, great job guys!

To the two teams who submitted nothing, if you would like to create a final post for fun, then by all means go ahead, I will also write a critique. Expect results within the next hour, and Challenge 2 tonight!

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Monorail Red's Review:

First off - great job submitting it ahead of schedule! While it doesn't do anything to enhance the product itself...being early is something I never overlook. I just appreciate it.

Anyway so since this is a non-elimination round I'm going to talk more about how you can improve as a team going forward (in my view) and also point out what things you did well so you do them again!

Backstory
Guests are visiting G-Force Records on a VIP, all-access tour when they stumble into a recording studio. Here, historic artists such as Drake, Queen, Daft Punk, Taylor Swift and Fall Out Boy are in a recording booth.

Really like the introductory paragraph. It's not a requirement...and it doesn't go towards the final judgment (as Matt stated in the Challenge Prompt that the playlists are the only aspects being graded) it is a very professional way to start a presentation. Regardless of whether or not it counts. And sometimes, even subconsciously, a well-presented proposal may sway a reader to overlook some iffy components that would otherwise be glowingly apparent.

The previous backstory of the attraction has been broadened, so instead of following Areosmith to a concert, you'll be following these artists to the "Hollywood Music Festival" in a giant stretch limo!

Hmm...I'm not sure about this one...if I'm reading it right (as you elaborate on later) this is a music festival? With all of these different genres in one attraction? I think this was where Matt had emphasized that he wanted 5 separate attractions. As in this isn't one attraction with many playlists and I even think he reiterated it again in your team PM.

It's why having a backstory and doing all this extra stuff wasn't required. I really do like the effort though, I can't discount that, but it feels like this is one ride where it should have been 5 separate ones.

Okay so bad news I don't think this follows the instructions. Good news? It doesn't count! Because the only thing I'm required to grade are the playlists.

In the future (and this is where I said since this is non-elim, I'll just give some advice for the future) Just make sure that you understand the directions. This is a great project that in the future...if it comes down to the wire...I'd have to side with one that did what the prompt said to do...if that makes sense.

Again, just a helpful tip for the future! I'm going to move onto the playlists now. I have a fascination with the guitar so the fact that you took it down...I'm just going to pretend like that didn't happen...:p But nice job putting in the original audio...makes it easier for people to understand what's going on aside from putting together a collaborative video with every song spliced together...which would have taken longer than 4 days to do.

Love it. Queen is definitely a good choice. I would have liked to hear "We are the Champions" ...maybe at the unload area...but I agree with these song choices. Not much more to say about it.

Well at least you put that footnote at the bottom because some of the transitions and timing I thought was a little off...but Fall Out Boy is an interesting choice. And something that Disney would probably select if they were going down this road.

Well...bias aside...I'm not a Taylor Swift fan...but if I'm judging based on song choice and plausibility...it's plausible...but I think you could have spliced another song in there.

This one was a little confusing presentation wise. For the future...I would just stick with one tally of time. Not two different ones. Idk...it was just distracting and the last song felt a little mellow for a conclusion. Drake? Well...personally I don't care for rap either:p but he's pretty popular and you did use the songs that blocked out the curse words. Do I see any rap ever making it into "Rappin Roller Coaster?" Not a chance...but since this is for fun...it's not too bad.

Fades into next song.

This actually sounds pretty neat! I don't know much about the intricacies of EDM...but I do know who Daft Punk is...mostly from Tron. I do wonder if that soundtrack will be used for the Tron coaster in Shanghai...if so would be pretty cool.

Overall...I tried to go into detail and give a lot of feedback so that for the future you can improve on what is an awesome start to the competition! Hopefully it helps:)

Team Sam's Review:

Nice job getting it in at the originally scheduled time! While you're coach wasn't able to submit, it is one of the requirements to notify Matt in 24 hours if the coach cannot post...but it's the first challenge. As I was for the other team...I'm not that strict...jand this review is more of advice so just for the future try to be here for the due dates and the due dates in the future will be later in the evening if that helps! For now, Team Sam should be thankful one of the teammates stepped up and posted!

Now to the project!
Since Sam is MIA, I posted on our team's behalf.

Team @Sam4D23:

Challenge 1: A Rockin' New Soundtrack

Background: We will keep G-force records and each ride will have a different theme and feel to give it a unique background.

Facade: Our facade will pay homage to the lovely Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum located in Cleveland, Ohio. It is similar to the Louvre because music is an important piece of art. :D

F4B48293C4575314D3D5B42B0D598E12.jpg

It's an interesting take on the facade...I kinda like it! But unless it isn't to scale that may take away from the perspectives of Tower of Terror if you see a more modern building rising from the trees next to it. Also you took away the guitar which makes me sad. Anyway...it doesn't count. The only part that counts for the judging are the playlists.....so let's get to it!
Rap

Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff
Background: The songs will be playing as a road trip from West Philadelphia to Bel Air, CA as homage to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. This should be a fun, adventurous ride for children, as well as adults. Everyone can be a part of the 90s once again. #true90skid

1. Fresh Prince of Bel Air Theme Song (0:00-0:45)

2. Parents Just Don’t Understand (1:20-1:35)

https://youtu.be/jW3PFC86UNI

3. Brand New Funk (0:00-0:20)

https://youtu.be/u68UmIY0lFQ

In terms of an artist that is clean enough for this genre to be chosen...this is a good choice. For someone that isn't too much into rap...I love the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...and it's a show that for me at least...hasn't gotten old. For a broader audience though...I feel like there are more current rap options that speak to the public audience, but then again most of those are not very "family" friendly. Not that Fresh Prince is totally family friendly...but if it was on a continuum ...Fresh Prince would swing more "Disney" family friendly so nice, unique choice!
EDM

Calvin Harris

Background: The EDM will serve as a "pump it up" music to a high school dance and it will throw back the 80s with the dancing and the attire; similar to time traveling

Soundtrack:

1. Feel So Close (0:41-1:00)

https://youtu.be/AEh3zEMYKzA

2. Summer (1:02-1:32)

https://youtu.be/McEoTIqoRKk

3. Sweet Nothing

(0:31-1:09)

Nice choice again...it would be a little better if I was able to just click on visible links instead of just having the url there...idk that's more of a presentation thing. And it makes it less of a hassle to listen to and piece together. Anyway...it's again a choice that is something I wasn't even considering at first. So kudos. But again, next time, I'd try to make the links line up better if you're posting youtube videos in your future presentations.
POP
Background: The ride will use the songs as the ride will simulate riding through a fun filled, light-oriented city where the sky is the limit since P!nk likes to sing about being independent and having fun. P!nk is a great pop artist to use because she sings about fun and real life things that boys can relate to. Other famous girly pop artists sing about love and dating, which would not appeal to the male audience, as well as younger children.

P!nk

Soundtrack:

1. Get This Party Started (0:10-0:25)

https://youtu.be/RD6V6HPccbY

2. Raise Your Glass (0:35-1:03)

https://youtu.be/570tFRoRR0A

3. So What (0:34-0:58)

https://youtu.be/EH6atHxFCtE
This seems to fall into the same presentation trap...again nitpick, but as I told the other team...if in Challenge 6 the teams have really good presentations...it's going to be the small things that push you over the edge and crown you the victors. So just keep it in mind. Nevertheless...I think Pink is a less family friendly option to go with concering pop. The songs sound pretty decent and I do like the color coordination (pink for pink...clever) but I'm having a tough time seeing her being the option for pop.

Rock

The Beatles

Background: This ride will be more psychedelic in notion focusing on important elements like light and love :inlove:. It would be fun for all audiences because kids will have a really cool kaleidoscope world to travel in (with the cart designed like an actual Yellow Submarine) and adults will love the throwback to The Beatles.

Soundtrack:

1. Here Comes the Sun (1:15-1:27)

https://youtu.be/BxzEeKfpyIg

2. Yellow Submarine (0:27-0:45)

https://youtu.be/H1jmcfrYIRc

3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (0:00-1:00)

https://youtu.be/eKXfqpg-Q-k

4. All You Need is Love (1:02-1:19)

https://youtu.be/ydfH7iuLR0I
Alright well...the Beatles are legend. And this is so tough...because there are so many great options for rock...how can you not go with the Beatles? And a fresh take - almost time travel back to the 60s/70s - excites me. In terms of the songs, the are a bit more mellow so as you're screaming going around a corkscrew I'm guessing the visuals will provide the "thrill" and "excitement" factor. I do like the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds addition.
Alternative

Coldplay

Background: The songs will be used to simulate an intergalatic adventure (because Coldplay is oriented towards space allusions) and will basically be a ride of time traveling through space.

1. Sky Full of Stars (1:16-1:41)

2. Viva La Vida (2:18-2:46)

3. Paradise (3:27-3:53)

[/QUOTE]
Hmm...most family friendly option that is very popular and that Disney has used in their advertising on ESPN and such? Definitely Coldplay. Realistically I could see them doing this. And they, along with Imagine Dragons and Bastille, are my favorite Alternative Bands. The songs you chose would be an interesting ride. I do like the Sky Full of Stars launch.

Overall, a very good proposal dispute some time crunches. I will say for the future...for some on the team, this may be your first comp you're trying to feel your way around...but please feel free to contribute...that's the point of these team competitions is that you brainstorm together. Sure sometimes people might have to pick up the slack due to personal lives and such, and that's totally fine. But for the future...try to make it a goal to post at least one good thing per day! Even if it's just the smallest thing. Who knows...your idea may end up winning the challenge.

Last edited:

Matt7187

Original Poster
Well, it was very close. Team @Sam4D23, you guys impressed us with your Pop and EDM submissions, but unfortunately your other ones were just not strong enough to pass Team @MonorailRed, who wins Alternative, Rock, and Rap by a hair. So congrats Team Red!

Now, when you win, of course you get a prize ;). The prize will remain the same all season long, and it is whenever your team wins, your advisor will be allowed to do legitimate work for your team! So for challenge 2, @MonorailRed will be able to whatever she pleases to help her team. So congrats once again, and look out for Challenge 2 in approximately 30 minutes!!

Also, when asking questions about critiques, please put those in the Discussion Thread. Thank you!

Matt7187

Original Poster
In regards to this, "Sky Full of Stars"'s wikipedia page has this in regards to popularity:

On the issue dated 30 May 2014, the song reached number ten on the Billboard Hot 100, making it their third top 10 hit and first since "Viva la Vida" in 2008.[25] It also became their first number-one single on the BillboardHot Rock Songs chart. "A Sky Full of Stars" was the band's second number one on the US Hot Dance Club Songs chart.[26] The song has sold over a million digital copies in the U.S. as of November 2014.[27]

Not to mention Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay, sang at Bo Biden's funeral, who is the late son of the US Vice President.

I know this doesn't matter anymore but Coldplay still is pretty popular in today's music culture. They play all the time on Philly's alternative radio station 104.5
That is all true, but I feel that if you were to go into a normal high school and ask 100 kids who they liked more, Coldplay or FOB, I firmly believe that at least 75 would say FOB just because they have released more music lately, and Coldplay releases and tours much less. I personally like Coldplay, but I just feel that FOB was a better option for this challenge.

Matt7187

Original Poster
Challenge 2: I Sea a New Pavilion

the_seas_with_nemo.jpg

The Seas with Nemo and Friends always draws ire from theme park fans for being a reskin of a formerly educational pavilion to being all about a cartoon clownfish. The goal of this challenge is to take The Living Seas back to its former glory, without the cartoons.

-You must keep the structure the same, and can not remove the ride track or tanks. Here is a map of the pavilion for refrence:
tumblr_inline_mgaavwG6xr1qc0er4.jpg

-You have to maintain the theme of the sea

-There must be at least one ride and one show, the rest is up to you.

-You must have a map and a piece of concept art

-There may not be any IP's involved in your pavilion

-Your submission must be under 25 sentences.

-As always, your advisor will post the final submission

The project is due on Sunday, September 27th at 8 PM EST.

Also, due to the fact that @englanddg's team had a player leave on his own, and his team now has 4 and @TheOriginalTiki's has 6, one player will be moved to @engalnddg's team to even them out. Welcome to Team @englanddg @mickeyfan5534!

Please give me a little bit of time to set up the PM's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom