The Choice Competition Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Challenge 5: On-Demand
BbqN8GpAephpCNwTBuB8SiFTPT1zFccYyuPd4qRRQRTQPXU5d4F1wuVWfEJh3L4RL3wIKc6BeQ=s640-h400-e365

This challenge, you are tasked with creating an attraction for a Universal Orlando park based on an original Netflix series. It can be a dark ride, simulator, whatever, just make it innovative and fresh, just like Netflix. Please do not use more than 10 pictures, and also I would like to see at least 3 pieces of original art. Please also specify where this attraction will go, as it must replace an existing attraction. Lastly, make sure you do not just re theme a ride, as whatever you replace must be gutted on the inside.

This Challenge is Due: Monday Oct 19th at 8PM EST

In case you are not familiar with Netflix, here is a list of potential shows. Make sure you don't use a film, but a series.

Due to winning last round @MonorailRed will be able to provide content for her team.

(A friendly warning)
As said before this competition is heating up as we are down to the Final 14 contestants.
Challenge 5 will be Double-Elimination. One contestant will be eliminated from each of the bottom two teams.
Now is the time to show your skills,
work as a team, and nail this project, because your future may depend on it;)

Good Luck to all and have some fun with it!:)

Last edited:

MonorailRed

Applebees
Team MonorailRed
Challenge 5: On Demand

BbqN8GpAephpCNwTBuB8SiFTPT1zFccYyuPd4qRRQRTQPXU5d4F1wuVWfEJh3L4RL3wIKc6BeQ=s640-h400-e365

Netflix is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world. This online streaming service boasts 69,170,000 subscribers as of October, 2015 and allows its loyal customers to stream their favorite movies and television programs and even streaming original, Netflix exclusive movies and TV shows.

As a part of The Choice, teams were tasked with creating an attraction for the Universal Orlando Resort based off of a Netflix original series. What Team MonorailRed decided on, was... Turbo : FAST

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%204.47.26%20PM_zpsbxvbwalp.png

Introducing TURBO: FAST LANE. This all new attraction at Universal Orlando Resort, opening in 2019 at Universal Studios Florida will be a family friendly, dark ride and thrill ride hybrid that will bring this successful franchise from your personal device's screen onto the theme park stage. In collaboration with Dreamworks Animation, guests of the attraction will be able to step into the world that Netflix's team has worked so hard to create.

When given a specific task similar to this, of course you need to be sure the concept is great, but it's also just as important to make sure that the IP isn't being shoehorned into an area where it doesn't belong. After analyzing this park, we figured the best place for this attraction would be in the Kid Zone, replacing Animal Actors On Location! and some backstage space. Putting the attraction here will draw crowds to and bring much needed new life to this area of the park (not to mention, it fits like a glove into the theme!)

wgqfkl.jpg

Full Ride Through

SCENE 1/LOAD: Keeping with the "you're the size of a snail" theming, guests climb inside their snails in what looks like a large shoebox. Posters presumably made by Tito and the other shopkeepers featuring Turbo and his crew decorate the walls. As your snail pulls out of the load area, we pass by Turbo's brother, Chet, who reminds us to stay safe during the ride.

SCENE 2: First, riders race through the garden where Turbo and Chet used to work. The scent of tomato can be smelled in the air. Snails cheer us on as we pass. Giant tomatoes hang above our heads from vines. Be careful; one might fall on top of you!

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%205.04.25%20PM_zpsuls5geas.png

SCENE 3: From there, riders zip past the mini-mall where Tito and his friends have set up shop. Something's cooking over at Dos Bros Tacos, we can smell it as we pass. But we're not headed for Dos Bros Tacos. We're headed for Bobby's Hobby Shop.

SCENE 4: Finally, riders arrive at the tiny racetrack that Tito and his buddies constructed for Turbo and the others to race on. This is it. We're at the starting line with Turbo and his pals. Tito is about to wave the checkered flag. On your mark... Get set...

SCENE 5: GO! We find ourselves zipping around the racetrack, up ramps, down ramps, and at one point in and out of a "tunnel" (really just an old can of beans). Background music is provided by a large boom box, which of course blasts out Turbo's theme song, "That Snail Is Fast". Turbo's in the lead. Can we catch up?

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%205.04.02%20PM_zpscwcr11kz.png

SCENE 6: Finally, the snails slow down as they arrive back outside Dos Bros Tacos. The leader of Turbo's team, Whiplash, stands nearby as we crawl under tables and chairs. He tells us that we have the skills to pay the bills... If snails had to pay bills, that is.
latest

Tech Specs

Ride Type: Dark Ride Thrill Hybrid
Ticket Level: D
Cars: 32
Riders Per Car: 4
Load/Unload: 60 Seconds
Capacity Per Hour: 1920
Universal Express: Yes

TURBO: FAST LANE will bring that brand new outdoor/indoor attraction that Universal is craving right now: A family ride that is in between the extreme thrills like The Incredible Hulk and Rip Ride Rocket, and the calm attractions like Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster. Setting the stage differently then it's Universal Attraction cousins this will be an attraction that you and you family won't want to miss!

Coming June 2019.....

DSquared

I guess we have some. I'm posting for Team Tiki.

BoJack's Horsin' Around
BoJack-Houseman.jpg

Queue and Preshow area:
Coming in 2018 to Universal studios, A Day in the Park with Barney will close, and a new path to Springfield will be built. To replace Barney, we will be opening a new coaster that will take you some of the best scenes of Netflix's fun cartoon, Bojack Horseman. The queue line will be the agency that Princess Carolyn works at. You will walk past the doors inside you will hear and see outlines of some of your favorite characters. The premise hear is that you are on a tour here to see the set of the hit 90's show Horsin' Around. The preload area will be sort of like star stores will you will be put in you rows prior to entering in to the actual load area. Here a video will come up with Mr. Peanutbutter giving you a history of the agency and all the great shows it has produced. Then we see a drunk BoJack try and still the spot light and give the door. BoJack tells the guests that this is a very boring tour and that he will take you on an even better one. As Mr. Peanutbutter gets control you can see that he is standing in front of the set of Horsin' Around before Bojack comes crashing through the wall in a limo. The two argue before Mr. Peanutbutter says he is going to get Princess Carolyn to get this tour back on track. The doors to the soundstage open to reveal a lime waiting for you. The front is blacked out to give the illusion that BoJack is giving you the tour. You get in the vechile and you are off.

Ride:

The ride itself is pretty simple in design it is a basic still coaster with four inversions. They ride will take you past some of the scenes in the Hollywood version of Bojack. You will past by Gentle Farms, Todd's Disneyland and even BoJack's House. The ride music will be done Patrick Carney who helped to create the theme song and will continue to help place you inside this world. You will final crash through the gates of the agency and studio where you will land in the middle of another soundstage. This is where you will disembark the limo. BoJack wishes you will and a big video of Princess Carolyn is saying she is glad you are back safe and to visit the gift shop.

Here are some pictures:

The Agency:
rBfAOU8Wc3kk1BFSljBET6tv6aPEgUTjBD9S0P6Bm4Y.jpg

Todd's Disneyland
banksys-new-disney-inspired-theme-park-feels-a-bit-like-an-episode-of-bojack-horseman.jpg

BoJack's House

bojack-horseman-1.png

Matt7187

Original Poster
I guess we have some. I'm posting for Team Tiki.

BoJack's Horsin' Around
BoJack-Houseman.jpg

Queue and Preshow area:
Coming in 2018 to Universal studios, A Day in the Park with Barney will close, and a new path to Springfield will be built. To replace Barney, we will be opening a new coaster that will take you some of the best scenes of Netflix's fun cartoon, Bojack Horseman. The queue line will be the agency that Princess Carolyn works at. You will walk past the doors inside you will hear and see outlines of some of your favorite characters. The premise hear is that you are on a tour here to see the set of the hit 90's show Horsin' Around. The preload area will be sort of like star stores will you will be put in you rows prior to entering in to the actual load area. Here a video will come up with Mr. Peanutbutter giving you a history of the agency and all the great shows it has produced. Then we see a drunk BoJack try and still the spot light and give the door. BoJack tells the guests that this is a very boring tour and that he will take you on an even better one. As Mr. Peanutbutter gets control you can see that he is standing in front of the set of Horsin' Around before Bojack comes crashing through the wall in a limo. The two argue before Mr. Peanutbutter says he is going to get Princess Carolyn to get this tour back on track. The doors to the soundstage open to reveal a lime waiting for you. The front is blacked out to give the illusion that BoJack is giving you the tour. You get in the vechile and you are off.

Ride:

The ride itself is pretty simple in design it is a basic still coaster with four inversions. They ride will take you past some of the scenes in the Hollywood version of Bojack. You will past by Gentle Farms, Todd's Disneyland and even BoJack's House. The ride music will be done Patrick Carney who helped to create the theme song and will continue to help place you inside this world. You will final crash through the gates of the agency and studio where you will land in the middle of another soundstage. This is where you will disembark the limo. BoJack wishes you will and a big video of Princess Carolyn is saying she is glad you are back safe and to visit the gift shop.

Here are some pictures:

The Agency:
rBfAOU8Wc3kk1BFSljBET6tv6aPEgUTjBD9S0P6Bm4Y.jpg

Todd's Disneyland
banksys-new-disney-inspired-theme-park-feels-a-bit-like-an-episode-of-bojack-horseman.jpg

BoJack's House

bojack-horseman-1.png
Could you post this in the main thread?

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Monorail Red:

Turbo was a great family friendly option for the area you chose. Not that family friendly options were the only path to take for this challenge...but you fit it in quite nicely. I really enjoyed the artwork...great job in that department. My only complaint would be that it's a little short on ride description...I would have liked to know more, but in a sense that's not a negative because if i want to know more...it means I'm interested in it. Overall, another solid project.

Team Tiki

Overall, it was a nice last minute effort, and props to @GMR710 for pulling this together for the team. Something is better than nothing...now in regards to that "something" I'm not sure I would have gone the BoJack Horseman route, but that's not to say it couldn't be pulled off well. The second season is a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...so it has potential, but in terms of adult style comedy, I guess we will see how it holds up. Obviously the thing that hurt your project was timing and having original art, which were requirements. It's unfortunate, but in the future, try to work better as a team. Hopefully the next round topic would fit everyone's desires.

Team englanddg/Sam

-no submission-

Matt7187

Original Poster
Team Red: I am not personally a fan of the Turbo theme, but that doesn't really matter, what matters is the actual ride. You guys did a good job with your ride through, and I particularly enjoyed the art, it made me laugh seeing the guests on the snail. One issue is that I don't believe that the Turbo IP is very popular even among children, but I could be wrong. All in all, good proposal, and THANK YOU for always submitting, and on time as well, I appreciate it, trust me.

Team Tiki: This was the IP that I was really hoping to see, and I'm glad you guys chose it. I personally think it lends itself better to a theme park attraction better than any other Netflix IP. It would fit in right along with the style of humor that Springfield offers. Unfortunately, you were late and have a particularly short ride through, so that will hurt your rankings. But thank you for submitting something, it is much better than nothing!

Matt7187

Original Poster
Congrats to Team @MonorailRed on winning another challenge! That means Red can help her team in any ways she pleases.

Originally we were intening on eliminating someone from each of the bottom two teams, but due to Team Engalnddg not submitting anything, two members of that team will be leaving. @David2319 because he resigned from the competition, and @MCParradox for not being active since October 11th. I hate to see you both go, thanks for competing!

Challenge 6 - A Festivus for the Rest of Us
Disneyland-Mickeys-Halloween-Party.jpg

This Challenge will be broken up into two parts.

In light of the upcoming Halloween holiday, in your teams you will be tasked with designing a new Halloween festive overlay of Walt Disney World. We encourage you to think broadly about your overlays. Please include 3 attractions that will have a seasonal overlay, and give a brief description of how it will change. We are not requiring a lot of detail, but mainly the updates you would make to the resort as a whole to bring a more festive spirit in all 4 parks for the holiday season.

Do you update Mickey's Not So Scary? What rides do you overlay? Haunted Mansion might be a given...but be creative! This is for fun!

Challenge is due Saturday October 24th at 8PM EST

PM's will be created soon​

DSquared

I'll be posting on Team Tiki's behalf

Challenge 6:

Halloween is coming, and Walt Disney World is ready to celebrate. Along with another Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, there will be multiple rides being temporarily rethemed. Some of them are:

images

The Walt Disney World Railroad (Magic Kingdom) - The iconic railroad will now incorporate Halloween scenes between stops. Tiki spirits can now be found inhabiting the area surrounding Adventureland, cowboy ghosts near Frontierland, a run in with the Headless Horseman near Fantasyland, Mad Tea Party treats all along New Fantasyland, and invading Martians in Tomorrowland.

images

The Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios) - The terrifying drop gets even more scary with skeletons in the lobby, a little blood along the walls, and the possibility of seeing a ghost!

images

El Rio Tiempo (Epcot) - The boat ride gets a Day of the Dead makeover. The ride is littered with candles, sugar skeleton heads, and costumed people all around.

With the attraction overlays and special decorations, the parks will also include a popular feature in the theme park world, themed mazes. Some of the mazes will be:

images

Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack (Animation Courtyard) - Take a tour in a replica of the Mystery Shack. Encounter blatantly fake exhibits just north of normal, and get to meet some of your favorite characters from "Gravity Falls".

latest

Museum of the Weird (Liberty Square) - Based on the canceled attraction, this museum invites you to experience some of the weirdest oddities in the world. Star exhibits include a room of all talking furniture, an upside-down house, and a variety of strange people to go along.

images

Alien Encounter (Mission Space) - Venture in deep space aboard your shuttle. The attacking aliens, and impending doom will make you question if you will make it out alive.

f12a37a6-7d25-11e4-9ae6-3b1f157f5681.jpg

Sid's Room (Pixar Place) - Shrink down to the size of a toy, and try to escape Sid's room. Befriend monstrous toys, and escape Sid's vicious dog. Will you escape, or will you be Sid's new toy?

hero_temple_of_doom.jpg

The Temple of Doom (The Oasis) - Venture into the legendary Temple of Doom with Indiana Jones. Escape gruesome skeletons, a crazy cult, and... snakes (because who doesn't hate snakes?).

images

The Flying Dutchman (Adventureland) - Join Davy Jones's crew and board his ship. Walk through the dirty decks filled with barnacle and murky water, and stay away from the rest of his crew.

Tumblr_static_disney_villains_wallpaper_by_disneyfreak19-d2gsw1u.jpg

Orlando Villain Con 2015 (Wonders of Life) - Join the best at being bad all in the same room. Meet some of your favorite Disney villains, as well as some rare ones.

RMichael21

On behalf of @MonorailRed and created in addition by @RMichael21, @IDInstitute, @Flippin'Flounder and @Brer Panther ...
TEAM MONORAILRED PRESENTS...

Halloween is one of the most popular holidays throughout the world. Originating from the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day, but being commercialized in the United States and Canada into the holiday that we know and love, children throughout North America can be seen trick or treating from door to door on the thirty-first of October every year.
mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-14.jpg

Disney Parks are well known for their celebration of national holidays. The parks, resorts, restaurants and Disney Springs are decked out for any kind of occasion from Christmas, 4th of July and even fall in the spirit of Halloween. While the Magic Kingdom relies heavily on Fall and Haloween decor from September to November, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom have barely any whatsoever. So, as part of Challenge 6 in The Choice, Team MonorailRed has decided to revamp the fall decor in the Magic Kingdom, but add decorations to the other three parks as well.
mickey-pumpkin-halloween-disneyland-M.jpg

In addition, something that Disneyland is known for during the holidays are their famous attraction overlays such as "Haunted Mansion Holiday" and "Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy". As part of the 2016 Halloween Season at Walt Disney World, several attractions will be receiving Halloween and Fall updates. Attractions that will be revamped during the holidays will include Toy Story Midway Mania, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, It's a Small World and, of course, The Haunted Mansion.

However, the Halloween season isn't all about overlays. Decor throughout the resort will reflect on the cheerful mood that is present during the fall seasons at the Disney Parks. Finally, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party will be revamped with all new entertainment, trick or treating trails and unique meet and greets.

ATTRACTION OVERLAYS:

Toy Story Midway Mania:

Captain Carl's Plate Break

To replace Green Army Men Shoot Camp during the Halloween season, this new mini game will feature Captain Carl. In this new mini game, guests will have to throw plastic balls at plates that will pop out at you. Operating during the same time as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Captain Carl's Plate Break will be put in over night with no downtime.

Queue Decorations
Along with Captain Carl's Plate Break, Halloween decorations will be put up in the queue. These will include giant pumpkins, Jack-o-Lanterns, and candy bars. Disney will partner with Mars, Inc. for the giant candies. They will have Snickers, M&M's, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Mily Way, and Dove Chocolate. You may also find colorful paint prints from Mr Jones' feet.

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror:

The Tower of Terror, an attraction infamous for its freights it offers to guests everyday, would be a huge loss to not have participate in the new and refreshed Halloween celebration. ToT will be given brand new (temporary) stories and decorations for the season, all making the adventure that much more unique, and perhaps even terrifying!

twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-00.jpg

Along the queue, you can see little toy skeletons and zombies as if this hotel was decorated for a minor Halloween celebration about 75 years ago, but left sitting there, abandoned, to rot. In addition, while the ride experience itself is more or less the same, the preshow sets up the story a bit differently. Now, 3 little children and their parents came to the hotel Trick or Treating late on a stormy Halloween night, when Rod Serling suggests that the supernatural did in fact take place when a witch cursed the hotel, causing the elevator to drop uncontrollably and leave this hotel haunted for years to come.

It's A Small World:

The happiest cruise that ever sailed just got happier. During the Fall and Halloween Season, It's A Small World will be updated to feature different cultural customs and celebrations that occur during the fall. Whether that be Halloween in America (or the take on Halloween in Japan, Germany and Russia), the "Hungry Ghost Festival" in China, All Souls Day in the United Kingdom or All Saints Day in Italy, guests will be able to experience this unique cruise with the children of the world in a whole new way.

The Haunted Mansion:

For the Halloween season, the Haunted Mansion is getting festive. The first part of the queue will look extra creepy, with cobwebs and pumpkins along the route, as well as spooky bat sounds coming from speakers. When inside the mansion, you notice the changing portrait has been switched for a full time skeleton, who moves and flashes like lightning every once in a while. The stretching room also has minor changes, the portraits are now darker, and have bats and spiders on them. While most of the mansion has stated the same, the graveyard is filled with Jack-o-Lanterns, and other spooky things.

Thanks for reading!

spacemt354

Chili's
It's now 8PM. Thanks to Team Tiki and Team Monorail Red for the projects!

Team englanddg/Sam?

As an aside...I haven't heard from Matt or Vox today, but to move things along, since everything was already planned out, I think it would be best to move along as scheduled with reviews, results, and part 2 of Challenge 6 tonight. So stay tuned!

Flippin'Flounder

Well, I did this, but RM's gone, so I figured I'd post it. I don't care if it counts towards our teams proposal or not.

Chester and Hester's Spooky Celebration
Chester and Hester have decided to cash in on Halloween at their carnival. On Tricera Top Spin, they have dressed al the Dinosaurs up. They are dressed as ghosts, zombies, skeletons, and witches. At Primeval Whirl, cardboard cutouts have been put up everywhere. They show random witches and skeletons, and serve absolutely no purpose (Like the whole land has this whole time). The games also get a special Halloween treat, or at least the winners do. Fun sized candy bars, provide by Mars, will be given to the winners along with their stuffed dino. The whole land will be given a festive spooky cheer for the Spooky Celebration.

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Tiki Review:

I'll be posting on Team Tiki's behalf
Way to step up for the team when it was in need!
Challenge 6:

Halloween is coming, and Walt Disney World is ready to celebrate. Along with another Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, there will be multiple rides being temporarily rethemed. Some of them are:

images

The Walt Disney World Railroad (Magic Kingdom) - The iconic railroad will now incorporate Halloween scenes between stops. Tiki spirits can now be found inhabiting the area surrounding Adventureland, cowboy ghosts near Frontierland, a run in with the Headless Horseman near Fantasyland, Mad Tea Party treats all along New Fantasyland, and invading Martians in Tomorrowland.

I actually really like this addition. There was a small county park back when I was a kid that used to have a train, a zoo, and so on, that used to decorate for Halloween. Their big attraction was the "haunted" Halloween-themed train...and I loved it! It would be really interesting to see that play out on the WDW Railroad.
images

The Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios) - The terrifying drop gets even more scary with skeletons in the lobby, a little blood along the walls, and the possibility of seeing a ghost!

A nice choice, though the tagline and description didn't really motivate me to go and ride. The possibility of seeing a ghost? Don't you already see a minimum 5 ghosts on the ride? A good thought, but overall could have probably been worded better.
images

El Rio Tiempo (Epcot) - The boat ride gets a Day of the Dead makeover. The ride is littered with candles, sugar skeleton heads, and costumed people all around.
I didn't actually think of this one as an option...so great job by you all. That would actually fit and be a great cultural addition.
With the attraction overlays and special decorations, the parks will also include a popular feature in the theme park world, themed mazes. Some of the mazes will be:

images

Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack (Animation Courtyard) - Take a tour in a replica of the Mystery Shack. Encounter blatantly fake exhibits just north of normal, and get to meet some of your favorite characters from "Gravity Falls".

latest

Museum of the Weird (Liberty Square) - Based on the canceled attraction, this museum invites you to experience some of the weirdest oddities in the world. Star exhibits include a room of all talking furniture, an upside-down house, and a variety of strange people to go along.

images

Alien Encounter (Mission Space) - Venture in deep space aboard your shuttle. The attacking aliens, and impending doom will make you question if you will make it out alive.

f12a37a6-7d25-11e4-9ae6-3b1f157f5681.jpg

Sid's Room (Pixar Place) - Shrink down to the size of a toy, and try to escape Sid's room. Befriend monstrous toys, and escape Sid's vicious dog. Will you escape, or will you be Sid's new toy?

hero_temple_of_doom.jpg

The Temple of Doom (The Oasis) - Venture into the legendary Temple of Doom with Indiana Jones. Escape gruesome skeletons, a crazy cult, and... snakes (because who doesn't hate snakes?).

images

The Flying Dutchman (Adventureland) - Join Davy Jones's crew and board his ship. Walk through the dirty decks filled with barnacle and murky water, and stay away from the rest of his crew.

Tumblr_static_disney_villains_wallpaper_by_disneyfreak19-d2gsw1u.jpg

Orlando Villain Con 2015 (Wonders of Life) - Join the best at being bad all in the same room. Meet some of your favorite Disney villains, as well as some rare ones.

I was slightly confused by these mazes. Where would they fit? Are they walk-through "houses" like at Halloween Horror Nights, or are these actual full sized mazes? Favorites thematically would have to be gravity falls...and Sid's Room. THose would be nice. I'll even throw in the Indiana Jones in Oasis, though I feel like that's better in Adventureland or DHS.

The Alien Encounter Mission Space overlay threw me a little. I feel like those are two different attractions that don't mesh well together. And the Wonders of Life Villain Con...please no more characters in Epcot...please:p

Overall a solid job and kudos to @DSquared because he really carried your team this week.

Team Monorail Red Review:

On behalf of @MonorailRed and created in addition by @RMichael21, @IDInstitute, @Flippin'Flounder and @Brer Panther ...
TEAM MONORAILRED PRESENTS...

Halloween is one of the most popular holidays throughout the world. Originating from the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day, but being commercialized in the United States and Canada into the holiday that we know and love, children throughout North America can be seen trick or treating from door to door on the thirty-first of October every year.
mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-14.jpg

Disney Parks are well known for their celebration of national holidays. The parks, resorts, restaurants and Disney Springs are decked out for any kind of occasion from Christmas, 4th of July and even fall in the spirit of Halloween. While the Magic Kingdom relies heavily on Fall and Haloween decor from September to November, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom have barely any whatsoever. So, as part of Challenge 6 in The Choice, Team MonorailRed has decided to revamp the fall decor in the Magic Kingdom, but add decorations to the other three parks as well.
mickey-pumpkin-halloween-disneyland-M.jpg

In addition, something that Disneyland is known for during the holidays are their famous attraction overlays such as "Haunted Mansion Holiday" and "Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy". As part of the 2016 Halloween Season at Walt Disney World, several attractions will be receiving Halloween and Fall updates. Attractions that will be revamped during the holidays will include Toy Story Midway Mania, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, It's a Small World and, of course, The Haunted Mansion.

However, the Halloween season isn't all about overlays. Decor throughout the resort will reflect on the cheerful mood that is present during the fall seasons at the Disney Parks. Finally, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party will be revamped with all new entertainment, trick or treating trails and unique meet and greets.

Very nice intro! While not required, I think it's always professional to start out with a well-written overview.
ATTRACTION OVERLAYS:

Toy Story Midway Mania:

Captain Carl's Plate Break

To replace Green Army Men Shoot Camp during the Halloween season, this new mini game will feature Captain Carl. In this new mini game, guests will have to throw plastic balls at plates that will pop out at you. Operating during the same time as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Captain Carl's Plate Break will be put in over night with no downtime.

Queue Decorations
Along with Captain Carl's Plate Break, Halloween decorations will be put up in the queue. These will include giant pumpkins, Jack-o-Lanterns, and candy bars. Disney will partner with Mars, Inc. for the giant candies. They will have Snickers, M&M's, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Mily Way, and Dove Chocolate. You may also find colorful paint prints from Mr Jones' feet.
I like it! It's a interesting touch, especially the queue which I didn't even think of having decorations there. And candy too!

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror:
The Tower of Terror, an attraction infamous for its freights it offers to guests everyday, would be a huge loss to not have participate in the new and refreshed Halloween celebration. ToT will be given brand new (temporary) stories and decorations for the season, all making the adventure that much more unique, and perhaps even terrifying!

twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-00.jpg

Along the queue, you can see little toy skeletons and zombies as if this hotel was decorated for a minor Halloween celebration about 75 years ago, but left sitting there, abandoned, to rot. In addition, while the ride experience itself is more or less the same, the preshow sets up the story a bit differently. Now, 3 little children and their parents came to the hotel Trick or Treating late on a stormy Halloween night, when Rod Serling suggests that the supernatural did in fact take place when a witch cursed the hotel, causing the elevator to drop uncontrollably and leave this hotel haunted for years to come.

Hey...that image is not DHS, that's DCA. :p It's okay...I realized on Thursday that I acidently put a picture of Disneyland as the prompt picture:D It's cool.

Anyway, both teams went for ToT, which is a good choice. I'm a tad mixed on the backstory of Trick-or-Treating and a witch...since I personally think the ToT backstory is one of the best that Disney has ever come up with. Granted though you did think out of the box for that and having decorations for Halloween was a nice touch.

It's A Small World:
The happiest cruise that ever sailed just got happier. During the Fall and Halloween Season, It's A Small World will be updated to feature different cultural customs and celebrations that occur during the fall. Whether that be Halloween in America (or the take on Halloween in Japan, Germany and Russia), the "Hungry Ghost Festival" in China, All Souls Day in the United Kingdom or All Saints Day in Italy, guests will be able to experience this unique cruise with the children of the world in a whole new way.

Big fan of this one...because it embodies the cultural significance of the holiday itself and does something unique rather than just putting up pumpkins and such. There's a lot of potential for this ride to get seasonal overlays...I wish Disney did it like they decorate it in Disneyland for Christmas.

The Haunted Mansion:
For the Halloween season, the Haunted Mansion is getting festive. The first part of the queue will look extra creepy, with cobwebs and pumpkins along the route, as well as spooky bat sounds coming from speakers. When inside the mansion, you notice the changing portrait has been switched for a full time skeleton, who moves and flashes like lightning every once in a while. The stretching room also has minor changes, the portraits are now darker, and have bats and spiders on them. While most of the mansion has stated the same, the graveyard is filled with Jack-o-Lanterns, and other spooky things.

Thanks for reading!

Well, Haunted Mansion would be the go-to choice...and with that said, it's a no-brainer to do it. I like that you didn't go the Nightmare before Christmas route...because when I rode it in Disneyland...I didn't like it. Whole thing was too bright and loud..it wasn't the Haunted Mansion...

A holiday overlay shouldn't completely change the attraction..it should just add some nice seasonal touches to it where applicable. While you did the 3 required attractions, and Flippin's Chester and Hester (which won't count) but is still good...I would have liked to see what you would have done to Epcot. Just a brief blurb or something like that to include all 4 parks in your holiday overlay.

Overall though, you did a very nice job! And thanks again to both teams!

spacemt354

Chili's
Challenge 6 (part 1) Results and Announcements

It was quite a close call. But since Team england/Sam did not submit, neither Team Monorail Red or Team Tiki will have anyone eliminated. Anyway, while Team Tiki went out of the box with their ideas, which was great, there were some ideas that either went too out of the box, or didn't make sense thematically to me. Team Monorail Red had a well-written project with some great overlay choices, I can't argue against any of those, only thing was I wish there was at least something (decorations, lights or anything) added to all 4 parks.

With that said...
Team Monorail Red!

Furthermore, Matt, Vox, and I had talked about this previously, and unfortunately due to inactivity, Team englanddg/Sam is going to have to be dissolved. Sorry work and life got in the way, hope to see you again, and we wish you the best going forward!

The only member to remain in the competition from that team will be @mickeyfan5534 and in order to balance the scales of the teams (to make it 5 on 5) mickeyfan5534 will be headed to Team MonorailRed.

As an additional note...Challenge 6 (part 2) will be the final "team" challenge in The Choice. Every challenge after will be individual leading to the ultimate crowning of the victor. Coaches will still have a role to play going forward, but more details on that will come soon. To prepare everyone, here is the remaining competition schedule we have ahead of us:

Oct 24 - Oct 28: Challenge 6 (part 2)
2 eliminated

-- Halloween Break Oct 28 - Oct 31 --

Nov 1 - Nov 8: Challenge 7
Bottom 2 eliminated

Nov 8 - Nov 14: Challenge 8
Bottom 2 eliminated

Nov 14 - Nov 24: Challenge 9
Winner is announced!

If anyone has questions feel free to ask! Challenge 6 (part 2) will be posted momentarily:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Challenge 6 - A Festivus for the Rest of Us (part 2)
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Florence-Henderson_Who-Manitarian-3.jpg

Now that you've added Halloween holiday overlays to the Walt Disney World Resort, it's time to turn our attention to a new resort and a new holiday season.

In this challenge, your task (similar to part 1) is to design a minimum of 3 holiday overlays, only this time... winter holiday overlays at Universal Studios Orlando Resort. As with last time, we are not requiring a ton of detail, but enough to get a broad scoped perspective on what your holiday overlay intentions are. You can be as creative as you want, there are no restrictions in terms of which attractions you can use. For winning Challenge 6 (part 1) - @MonorailRed can product content for her team this round.

Challenge is due Wednesday October 28th at 8PM EST

Good Luck!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom