The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One reason I refuse to wear shorts is that I hate feeling exposed. I like to wear layers and keep my body covered up. I have the same issue with shoes. I refuse to wear open toe shoes. The other reason I refuse to wear shorts has to do once again with me being hopelessly old-fashioned. Once upon a time boys stopped wearing shorts when they reached a certain level of maturity. I still think this is the way to go. I don't mind other people wearing them, but I don't like them.

Or maybe I'm just weird ;)

But but but that knicker and suit pant thing was from my Dads generation also tied to traditions that even we Catholics gave up on generations ago much like women needing to be covered from head to toe and finger tips.

How did you glam onto practices of 60 years prior to your birth?

StarWarsGirl

One reason I refuse to wear shorts is that I hate feeling exposed. I like to wear layers and keep my body covered up. I have the same issue with shoes. I refuse to wear open toe shoes. The other reason I refuse to wear shorts has to do once again with me being hopelessly old-fashioned. Once upon a time boys stopped wearing shorts when they reached a certain level of maturity. I still think this is the way to go. I don't mind other people wearing them, but I don't like them.

Or maybe I'm just weird ;)
My father was the same way when he was in his 20s.

He used to wear corduroys in the summer. He went with a friend to Ocean City, MD one summer, and his friend took him shopping for shorts because he said he wasn't going to Ocean City with someone wearing corduroys in July.

After he married my mother, she too said no more of that in the summer.

Even now, he says he only wears shorts when it's over 80 degrees.:rolleyes:

donaldtoo

Wow. That's very impressive. :happy: Some people are just "naturals" when it comes to driving (many guys I know fall into that category). I think that's why I love watching NASCAR, because those guys are so talented; I think it's human nature to admire traits that others have, that you wish you had, yourself. :)

Thanks, but, that was pretty normal around these parts back then. We were native Texans moving back to this part of the state from NoCal for pops job at IBM. The developments we live in were new at the time, and the closest HS was in a small (at the time) town 8 miles away. High school was very diverse... jocks, geeks, freaks (hippies), kickers (cowboys/girls), Asians, etc.
I knew many FFA (Future Farmers of America) kicker chicks that drove biga$$ pickups. :)
But, as far as I can remember, I'm the only one that drove a giant party camper around for my first transportation before I bought my own ride...!!! :joyfull: :D ;) :) :angelic:

Gabe1

We haven't had snow on the ground in almost a month. Plus this flower bed is raised up a little and near the house so the flowers bloom fairly fast. I will have to share another picture soon, I noticed my daffodils are coming up now too!

Even more jealous. I still have little snow mounds from last Mondays storm where snow was piled. It will be gone tomorrow. Should be pushing up into the 60s.

Loving the flower pictures from you and @Cesar RM :happy:

donaldtoo

It's completely opposite now. A lot of us still got our licenses ASAP. My bestie and I joke that our mothers had us get ours so we could run their errands (partly true on both counts). But so many waited for whatever reason. A few have said to me, "Ah, well, I just haven't felt like it..." My one friend up until this semester had to get rides from family members to school (again, public transportation is a joke in MD; another reason my parents planned for me to have a car); thankfully she only lives 10 minutes away. Another one of my friends, who is several years older, got hers at 19. One of my friends wasn't allowed to get hers until age 18 (her parents are from New Jersey and her mom once told me she thought the legal driving age should be 18 like it is in New Jersey...right after I said that I had just gotten my license. :rolleyes:) Another got his at 19 after failing 3 times. Another got hers at 20 because she was afraid to drive for a long time. It's rather ironic how many friends I have who are older than me but got their licenses after me

The requirements have gotten so much harder for passing your test. In MD, you first have to pass a written test to get your permit. Then, you have to have 60 hours behind the wheel with a mentor (a parent or someone over the age of 21 licensed for 3+ years), 10 of which must be at night, driver's ed, plus 6 hours behind the wheel with the driver's ed instructor, which does NOT count toward your 60 hours. You have to pass a behind the wheel test with the instructor. And then, at least 9 months after you get your permit, you take a behind the wheel test, which most people fail on the first try. If you pass, you get your provisional license. Everyone is issued a provisional license regardless of age. For the first 6 months after you get your license if you are under 18, no passengers under the age of 18 unless you have a mentor in the car (over 21 and licensed 3+ years). Siblings are allowed regardless of age. Other than that, the penalties are much stricter under a provisional license.

Again, my head is spinning... :confused:

Gabe1

We need 4 beds - but 3 rooms, as Son #2 and the GF are paying for their own room and will have zero interest in having a third person in their spare bed.

When we used to own a Queen at home, we were able to suck it up and sleep in a Full/Double for holidays.
Now that we've had the luxury of a King for the past two years, there is no way we could take two steps back.

If AS comes we will need 3 separate rooms, or a WBC condo.

Try getting prices for renting points a large suite at OKW and there should be some hefty discounts from Disney at that time of year too.
Bedroom Villa
View Photosfor 2 Bedroom Villa - Opens a dialog
Views of Water, Woodlands or Fairways

1 King Bed and 2 Queen Beds and 1 Queen-Size Sleeper Sofa and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Try getting prices for renting points a large suite at OKW and there should be some hefty discounts from Disney at that time of year too.
Bedroom Villa
View Photosfor 2 Bedroom Villa - Opens a dialog
Views of Water, Woodlands or Fairways

1 King Bed and 2 Queen Beds and 1 Queen-Size Sleeper Sofa and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair
I was soooo excited for a sec.
image.jpg

Vs. $1800 for Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
Thanks though. I still have some time.
And given that there's no Free Dning (presumably) at that time, we should be able to get 4 or 5 decent ressies.

donaldtoo

Yikes, the restrictions are really piling up for new drivers. It was nothing like that when I went for my license, although I do live in a different state from yours.

I have to laugh when I think back to my own driving test, at 21. The driving instructor from my driving school took about 8 of us down to the Registry of Motor Vehicles; and one by one, we'd go out on the road test with the officer, while the instructor would sit in the back seat of the car. The day I went, the Registry had accidentally double booked us with another group, so essentially, it meant that the driver's test probably took all of 6 minutes, so that they could fit in everyone! :D

On top of that, we had been assigned this incredibly handsome, 30ish, Registry cop, and I turned into complete mush, with him sitting in the passenger seat next to me. :inlove: (swoon . . .) I was so nervous that I forgot to fasten my seat belt, and he "suggested" I might want to do that . . . Then, I went to put the keys in the ignition to start the car, and I dropped the keys on the floor! :jawdrop: I tried to reach down to get them, but the seat belt was too tight, so I unfastened it and got the keys and started the car. Again, he "suggested" that I might want to put on my seat belt again. (All I remember was mumbling, "I'm sorry, officer," to him, a few times during my road test. :happy: )

Meanwhile, my driving instructor, observing me turn into a blithering imbecile, put on a command performance, trying to engage the officer in small talk, to distract him. ;) In the end, all the officer had me do was drive around a block, making sure I stopped at the stop sign and looked in all directions before moving, and then had me park the car at a curb. (Now, I was about 2 1/2 feet away from the curb, but I parked it . . . :rolleyes: :p) Don't ask me how I ever passed that driving test!! :hilarious: :hilarious:

:hilarious: is right...! Very funny!!! :joyfull: :)

StarWarsGirl

I was soooo excited for a sec.
View attachment 88794

Vs. $1800 for Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
Thanks though. I still have some time.
And given that there's no Free Dning (presumably) at that time, we should be able to get 4 or 5 decent ressies.
You would need to look into renting points
Most likely would not come out to $1800, but that is how you would do it.

Your availability might be low, though. DVC members who own at a specific resort can book 11 months out, though you might still be able to get OKW.

You would need to go to a dedicated site to request info.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
You would need to look into renting points
Most likely would not come out to $1800, but that is how you would do it.

Your availability might be low, though. DVC members who own at a specific resort can book 11 months out, though you might still be able to get OKW.

You would need to go to a dedicated site to request info.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp
Cool. I'll give it a whirl.
Probably not until tomorrow.

Just heading out to pick up Beavis, and then up again with Butt-head at 4:10.

I am too old for this carp.

Probably out for the night. Good night, Peeps.

donaldtoo

It was so much simpler back in your day, wasn't it? ;)

Yes, indeed. Some for the better, some for the worse. ;) :)
I used to be able to drive a car, at age 18, with an open beer in my hands, as long as I didn't blow a 0.10 if I was stopped. Thinkin' back on it now, I find it hard to believe it was ever even legal... :confused:
As far as the (IMO) worse, I shall refrain from commenting... :cautious: ;) :)

StarWarsGirl

Yes, indeed. Some for the better, some for the worse. ;) :)
I used to be able to drive a car, at age 18, with an open beer in my hands, as long as I didn't blow a 0.10 if I was stopped. Thinkin' back on it now, I find it hard to believe it was ever even legal... :confused:
As far as the (IMO) worse, I shall refrain from commenting... :cautious: ;) :)
I wish the legal drinking age were lower.

At least in MD, I can legally have wine...if I ask my mommy first.:rolleyes:

Gabe1

It was so much simpler back in your day, wasn't it? ;)

Yes, much was simpler in our day and yet for the most part it is us, the folks that had a simpler life are the ones that created the mess for future generations.

:O We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun, but the hills that we climbed were just seasons
out of time
...........no soup for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom