The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

We stayed at Poly once before my brother was born, and I know my parents stayed over there before I was born, but since Disney built DVC units over there, we've stayed in the studios (not the Bungalows; those are outrageously priced. The studios) two times. Then we switched over to BCV.

Poly's not actually my favorite. I like Contemporary and BCV better. Poly's nice, and the studios have two showers, which is fantastic, but I like the overall feel of Contemporary better, and between the pool and the proximity to Epcot, BC is awesome. To be honest; Poly after having been to Aulani just kind of feels like an Aulani wannabee. I think there are definitely nicer resorts in WDW.
What is BCV? I'm assuming that's only available to DVC members?

FutureCEO

I agree about cash. That's why I try to take out cash each week to cover everything (groceries, other, etc.), because once I spend it all and there's no more left in my wallet, that's a good sign for me to stop right there!! I know that if I used my credit cards more, I'd definitely spend more. Hate getting the credit card bills, too, so I limit their use.

About the future of cash though--some places are "trying" to limit or even eliminate cash transactions and only use credit or debit. This is infuriating to me (there's actually a law in MA that a merchant cannot deny a purchase in cash, but a few smaller merchants are trying to slip it in). Another thing that ticks me off is our toll bridges and roads out here. They've all switched to (or are in the process) of moving to transponder systems.

Now, they've had the transponder systems in place for some years, but the move is to eventually (this year) eliminate all cash booths. So in the case of the MA Pike, starting in October, if you don't have a transponder, the cameras will take a photo of your license plate and they send you a bill in the mail--and it will cost you a higher fare than if you had a transponder. :mad: (Luckily, we only use the Pike about once every 2 years, but the same technology is also being used on the major bridges and highways. :( )

I use credit for groceries and gas but I know my limits. I use cash for the other stuff.

That's probably why I haven't bought alcohol other than in Disney since the new year.

Songbird76

I finally have some good news...

The company that I interned for over the summer offered me a part-time managerial position. AND it might be a full time position after graduation.

giphy.gif
Congratulations!! That's great! At least, it is great if you like working there.

Songbird76

I'm sorry it worked out that way. Our mother's must have been clones. :(
It really sounds like it, doesn't it? But we both made it...and it sounds like you have a great relationship with your daughter, so you must have learned from it. I hope I have, too...I guess we will see as the kids get older, but I'm also counting on hubby to give me a swift kick if I start being irrational about them growing up.

Songbird76

I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have the data to say it is common or uncommon. Even with a unique Dad I lived a very normal childhood.

I'm not really concerned about you. You have a very good thought process and seem to be leveled headed and advocate well for your children and appreciate their good sense and recognise the wonderful attributes. You're a good Mom woman!
Thank you! That's so nice of you to say. And I so hope you are right.

Songbird76

In my insanity, I thought this would be a nice, magical show to take my mind off of the death and depression of Tragic Kitty Weekend:

View attachment 155384
View attachment 155385

Errrrrrr.......I kind of forgot about the tearjerker ending -- ----spoiler alert in 5

- The mom doesn't make it.

So sorry. I hope you are feeling a bit better now that it's been a few weeks. It's so hard. I bawled for days when we had to put my dog to sleep...they are family members. How is Jett doing with the loss?

MOXOMUMD

Noone Swirls better than Hurricane Gaston, even if there is no better hurricane than him!
anyway being serious. Its not like I can change things.
Good thing that if something BAD happens, im going to get insurance.

*edit*
Hurricane Gaston seems to be moving upwards (towards the bermudas) and is currently a Tropical Storm.

But there is another storm that is right on top of Haiti with a 50% chance of forming right now
Cruise ships do really well at avoiding bad weather so go enjoy.

Last edited:

Songbird76

pretty sure the scanners are for show, they use sourveillance and trained personal to find those who look suspicius.
kinda like LIE TO ME the tv series.q
You mean you don't think the scanners really do anything? Or that they only pick the suspicious looking people to go through? I kept getting "Randomly selected" to do "additional screening", which was just walking through the metal detector thing. Hubby did a few times, but I had to almost every time. One time, I got selected and the officer says "Come on down" and I asked if it was the price is right and what I won...he said "A trip through the metal detector" and we both laughed.

Songbird76

No, they work. My brother left his iPod in his pocket and set it off.

And I set it off today. Why? Underwire bra.
So what do they do when you set it off? I'm assuming there's some sort of protocol for that...so what's the next step? There's no place to take you for a search that's not in view of everyone.

Songbird76

I always wondered about the converting thing too. I don't think I could do it, as I am pretty firm in my religious beliefs. But not everyone is and that works for them, and that is fine. When I was single, that was one thing I worried about was falling for someone that didn't share my beliefs. I was actually engaged to a guy who identified himself as an atheist, I eventually broke it off for that (and many other reasons). It works out much better for me to have shared beliefs, but I know it can work for others. In a somewhat related story, my dad was Catholic growing up and switched to Lutheranism when he married my mom (who spent much of her childhood in a Baptist church), and he is now in a non-denominational church in Florida. It is funny to me because even though it is all Christian it seems like he went from strict, to somewhat strict, to loosey-goosey Christian.

Eh, whatever works for people I guess. As long as what people believe and do doesn't hurt anyone, who am I to judge.:)
Well, the first guy I was engaged to was a non-denominational Christian and I was raised Lutheran. His mom angered my mom when they first met, before I even started dating him, by saying no son of hers would ever be allowed to be Lutheran, Catholic, or Mormon. ??? I never really understood the denomination thing to me...I feel like...I'm Christian, but I don't need a brand name on it. But my husband is agnostic and he supports me in my faith, and he will answer the kids' questions (he was raised Catholic, so he KNOWS about it, just doesn't really believe in it) and go to church with me. It works for us. I think Athiest might be harder. My husband admits he could be wrong, he just doesn't really know what to believe and there are some things he struggles with, but he's not OPPOSED to the idea, so we can compromise.

Songbird76

I wish I could wear one with no wire. Unfortunately, being the size I am, that won't work. :grumpy:
I hate underwires. I only have one with a wire and I don't wear it often because it's just so uncomfortable. I have a hard enough time finding anything that fits...I have to go to a specialty store because they don't carry my size in regular stores. No victoria's secret for this girl! So I pay up the wazzoo for really good quality ones, and I am not going to pay that much to wear something that is uncomfortable all the time.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I agree about cash. That's why I try to take out cash each week to cover everything (groceries, other, etc.), because once I spend it all and there's no more left in my wallet, that's a good sign for me to stop right there!! I know that if I used my credit cards more, I'd definitely spend more. Hate getting the credit card bills, too, so I limit their use.

About the future of cash though--some places are "trying" to limit or even eliminate cash transactions and only use credit or debit. This is infuriating to me (there's actually a law in MA that a merchant cannot deny a purchase in cash, but a few smaller merchants are trying to slip it in). Another thing that ticks me off is our toll bridges and roads out here. They've all switched to (or are in the process) of moving to transponder systems.

Now, they've had the transponder systems in place for some years, but the move is to eventually (this year) eliminate all cash booths. So in the case of the MA Pike, starting in October, if you don't have a transponder, the cameras will take a photo of your license plate and they send you a bill in the mail--and it will cost you a higher fare than if you had a transponder. :mad: (Luckily, we only use the Pike about once every 2 years, but the same technology is also being used on the major bridges and highways. :( )

That is interesting about trying to eliminate cash purchases. I have been to some small stores, even a gas station once, where they gave a discount for using cash. I think they gave the discount so they didn't have to pay for the credit charge to go through. I like using cash sometimes, but I also like getting the rewards for using my credit card. I even pay by check occasionally, but I do not have a debit card as I know I would lose track of those transactions. I have enough trouble balancing my checkbook, actually it hasn't been balanced in over a year and a half. The bank keeps saying that I have more money in it than my records show, I guess that is good. It is the same amount every month, I suppose it would be safe for me to add it in now.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Not shameful at all...you do what you gotta do, and I'm a big GG fan, so I totally approve. I think it's an awesome way to relieve stress!

I like Gilmore Girls too, I watched it for the first time this spring on Netflix. I'm looking forward to the new episodes that are coming out this year on Netflix. Will you be able to watch them where you are?

Songbird76

I gotta say, as annoyed as I can get with Disney sometimes, the little things they do are just plain awesome.

We went to SciFi. Normally I get the ribs, but after checking with the chef, the waiter said they changed the recipe to add pineapple, so I couldn't have it. I understood; it's an unusual allergy. Well, they ended up taking my milkshake off the bill. Just because of that. They really did not have to. I ended up giving the waiter a bit extra on his tip. For being so awesome. It's the little things that make Disney awesome.
They do have some awesome cast members. We ate at Ohana and my son wouldn't touch any of it. The server asked if he would prefer a hotdog and fries and went and got him some from Kona. I gave him a good tip and then wrote feedback for him at the desk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom