The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

sfeinst

Just got back from a trip to WDW. The tour groups were there and yes there were issues. But I don't blame the groups (except one) for it. I blame Disney. They need a better way to deal with the groups being so large. We ran into 3 problems and one was the group's fault (though Disney could have remedied it), the rest is on Disney.

1) Leaving MK for AllStars. Group was so large they pretty much took up 2 buses. We got to Music and a man in an electric scooter could not get on. He said it was the 2nd bus he waited for so now he was on to the 3rd. Not fair.
2) Two large groups went on to fastpass. This slowed both the fastpass line and the standby line (which did not move at all now). Fastpass assumes not everyone will arrive at the same exact time, except it does with these large groups.
3) This one the dual blame. Large group (NOT South American - they sounded American) decided it would be fun to scream songs at the top of their lungs from MK to AllStar. Gave me a huge headache and though my family is older, I felt sorry for anyone with young children. I doubt they left the bus happy and more likely were scared.

Disney needs to solve this. One thing they could do is provide separate buses for the groups. At worse case, give drivers more freedom. Large group, drop them off first and come back to the other resorts (for #1, group was at Movies, but we stopped at Music first). Have the ability for a driver to radio ahead that they just picked up a tour group and another bus is in order. Something...

For the fastpass, give out set timeframes fro the groups and don't give out others during that time. Won't fully solve it, but would help.

Like I said, only #3 do I blame the group itself.

WhatJaneSays

can you list some of the others who have been singled out as much as the Brazilians have on this board. List the others who cause problems please do.
and we speak of problems all I hear is that they chant loudly when they move across the park, so what who is that hurting? is it being done in the attractions no so whats the big deal. some call that disrespect I call it people enjoying themselves and having fun. They are hurting no one.
lets all march like monks around disney in straight lines not speaking a word.

and I'm glad the thread labeled " The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action "
IS NOT ABOUT Brazilians, I should have known somehow. I'm sorry but you don't start a thread labeled like that and claim its not bashing one group.

Run ins that have happened directly with me and specifically large Brazilian tour groups (based multiple signs like flags, shirts, spoken language, and the like):
  • young relatives/friend's children being knocked out of strollers due to groups rushing in areas or forcefully pushing their way their way past crowds (this has happened at 3 different times to my group over the course of about 10 years)
  • street shows being disrupted with chanting/singing to the point of the performers having to pause until the group goes past
  • running into queue areas only to stop at the entrance intentionally blocking other parties from entering the queue so their tour group can be together (until a CM asks them to move at least twice)
  • stopping directly outside the exit to rides or shows without moving to the side
  • staying inside ride unload areas to regroup instead of taking it somewhere more open
  • chanting/singing over show music or audio
  • chanting/singing in open areas disrupting the general surroundings
  • ignoring CM instructions or requests (in non-language barrier situations)
  • regular line cutting tactics
  • extreme line cutting tactics that disregard the safety of other guests (I got fractured toes once for my troubles due to this)
Run ins that have happened directly with me and specifically large NON-Brazilian, or indeterminate tour groups:
  • blocking queue entrances so groups could be together (moving after CM request)
  • stopping directly outside the exit to rides or shows without moving to the side
  • staying inside ride unload areas to regroup instead of taking it somewhere more open
Run ins that have happened directly with me and small tour groups (under 15-20 people in size) of every kind, including Brazilian groups:

The step-downs here are not directly linked to Brazilians as a whole but rather the management style (or the lack of management) that Brazilian tour groups tend toward. Many large tour groups, including others from non-South or Central American countries, suffer from the same issues. Yet the tours from Brazil disproportionately seem to be the ones causing the most adverse impact on other guests or CMs.

I think this is minimally related to the fact they are Brazilians but rather their badly managed tours, the organizers lack of consideration, and the guides being unwilling to corral or correct bad behaviors.

jloucks

This thread is cracking me up. If you're a tour group from wherever, and behaving like a bunch of hooligans, you make your nation of origin look bad. ...and have earned some bashing. U.S. citizens are the stereotypical recipients of such bashing, but at WDW we have some new players in town vying for the worst guest title. Tour groups from other countries are fighting hard for the title! Be proud. Own it. Why else would your brethren behave like utter lunatics in a public place if not to take the title of worst guest? Don't single out the nations participating? That's like a soccer/football match without identifying any teams.

I have absolutely no problem singling out any nations populace for loutish behavior, even my own. I say ban any tour group with a poor history from entering at all. They have a history of poor behavior, time to declare them the winners and end the games forever. Brazilian groups need to go. ...as do several others. You win. We concede. Stadium/venue now closed. Families size groups only for now on out.

My turn to vent... my Experience with tour groups....

Not overall too bad really. Most issues alcohol related to some extent. Biggest complaints are as follows...
  • Drunk talking to me in a foreign language. I don't know you, and you smell funny. Please refrain.
  • Personal space invasion. Again, I don't know you. Why do you have to stand 1 foot from me and touch my shoulder and bro smack my arm while speaking some language that sounds painful to speak.
  • Loud noises, all the time. My earholes work great. Shouting not really necessary. Shouting 2 feet from my head, actually unpleasant.
  • Bonking into me and my family all the time. While for us we have never had anybody knocked over, it is mildly annoying to feel like I am in a pinball machine. ...or saving your drunk *** from face-planting onto the pavement.
  • Throwing up all over the place. Mainly in the bushes. Thank you for avoiding the sidewalk tho. Some of you are really good at avoiding sidewalks. I am looking at you Germans. I saw some really polished vomiting techniques last visit. Well done! None on me or my shoes.
  • Line etiquette. It is not ok for 2-4 people to hold a place in a bus line for 50 other people. This is really the only incident that almost caused a kerfuffle. To be fair, this group was from the good ole U.S.A. Teenagers tho, so, yea. Oblivious.
Ironically my best fix for this has always been following the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" methodology. I slam a carafe of sangria and suddenly it is all better. Tolerance +5.

BrunoS

I'm a former Cast Member from Brazil. My location was the Hollywood Studios. Back in my days, WDW would send us a very clear recommendation out regarding the tour groups: nothing in the parks can put SAFETY at risk. It's pretty much simple as that: if it MIGHT not look safe, it has to be addressed instantly. So, if a certain group of whatever nationality chants they might not listen to instructions from us, or even keep other guests from doing so properly. That is not safe, so it cannot happen. Our job was to politely make sure they knew that whatever instruction or internal rules the agency might have settled for that group, OUR rules and the park's regulations were above all. Groups of 30 "having" to stay together at ALL times is also not safe as they may block an evacuation, for exemple. Other than that I, as a native Brazilian, was asked by my managers to help guests from back home understand that Disney recieves other guests from all countries and cultures and that fact had to be taken in consideration, for respect and well being of all.

Brazilians (and not only brazilians) are warm, excited, smily folk who paid just as much for the park tickets as anyone else and that many times help a lot on making the parks look like "the happiest place on earth" it is. So that's why we were instructed to despite all, always encourage that warmth and personality.
Miss those days btw. :)

Goofyernmost

I'm a former Cast Member from Brazil. My location was the Hollywood Studios. Back in my days, WDW would send us a very clear recommendation out regarding the tour groups: nothing in the parks can put SAFETY at risk. It's pretty much simple as that: if it MIGHT not look safe, it has to be addressed instantly. So, if a certain group of whatever nationality chants they might not listen to instructions from us, or even keep other guests from doing so properly. That is not safe, so it cannot happen. Our job was to politely make sure they knew that whatever instruction or internal rules the agency might have settled for that group, OUR rules and the park's regulations were above all. Groups of 30 "having" to stay together at ALL times is also not safe as they may block an evacuation, for exemple. Other than that I, as a native Brazilian, was asked by my managers to help guests from back home understand that Disney recieves other guests from all countries and cultures and that fact had to be taken in consideration, for respect and well being of all.

Brazilians (and not only brazilians) are warm, excited, smily folk who paid just as much for the park tickets as anyone else and that many times help a lot on making the parks look like "the happiest place on earth" it is. So that's why we were instructed to despite all, always encourage that warmth and personality.
I have to agree with that. Although, I will admit that the loud chanting, which I have heard, and the line cutting, which I have not seen, is a little annoying and prevents me from concentrating on what I enjoy, I do also think that the general reaction to it, is way overblown. There may be isolated incidents, but, I have not seen it as a constant and overwhelming problem. They are having a good time. They are not destroying anything or physically harming anyone, intentionally, and I don't understand why people feel that WDW should be treated like the inside of a temple. It a place to have fun, let them have fun while they are still young enough to do it.

POLY LOVER

I have to agree with that. Although, I will admit that the loud chanting, which I have heard, and the line cutting, which I have not seen, is a little annoying and prevents me from concentrating on what I enjoy, I do also think that the general reaction to it, is way overblown. There may be isolated incidents, but, I have not seen it as a constant and overwhelming problem. They are having a good time. They are not destroying anything or physically harming anyone, intentionally, and I don't understand why people feel that WDW should be treated like the inside of a temple. It a place to have fun, let them have fun while they are still young enough to do it.

Bravo !!

POLY LOVER

Sad to say is that my sense is that prejudice is at the heart of this bashing of groups
I have never experienced problems like people state , like you say they are fun to watch and it adds to the happiest place on earth. Let the attacks begin!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sad to say is that my sense is that prejudice is at the heart of this bashing of groups
I have never experienced problems like people state , like you say they are fun to watch and it adds to the happiest place on earth. Let the attacks begin!
So, because you've never experienced it, those that have are (collectively) prejudiced? Good to know such judgments can be found....

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

So, because you've never experienced it, those that have are (collectively) prejudiced? Good to know such judgments can be found....
Well when there is such an over reaction and no logical reason to single out only one group and the tone of the comments made I can only come to this conclusion. If I,m wrong I will admit it but it's my sense that at least some of this

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well when there is such an over reaction and no logical reason to single out only one group and the tone of the comments made I can only come to this conclusion. If I,m wrong I will admit it but it's my sense that at least some of this
And if you had read the first post, you would have found that the OP found the behavior of the tour groups greatly improved. But that still doesn't change the fact others have had poor experiences. But, ignoring all of that enables your sanctimony, so full speed ahead....

Bairstow

Original Poster
When the title states Brazilians it's hard not to say they are being singled out. Now if the title gets changed to how you state it that would be fine.
I do not have any personal experience with how Disney's policy towards the American cheerleading groups, or how those groups subsequent behavior has changed.
That's why I did not create a thread addressing it.
If you would like to create a thread addressing these policies and behaviors, perhaps you should.

POLY LOVER

I do not have any personal experience with how Disney's policy towards the American cheerleading groups, or how those groups subsequent behavior has changed.
That's why I did not create a thread addressing it.
If you would like to create a thread addressing these policies and behaviors, perhaps you should.
No I think I'll just let it go. I,m sure you were trying to be helpful.

Smiley/OCD

Is it really that the Brazillion groups are rude and out of control, or they just don't know any better compared to our American standards (or our declining American standards)?

Just curious as I was reading about how different their culture is. Particularly how extroverted everyone is and how they don't consider much into personal space.

That's why they have armed security guards at their gas stations in Rio! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom