The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

Bairstow

Original Poster
So I just got back from an unexpected four-day trip in mid July and the south/central American tour groups were in full force, as usual, but something seemed different. Their behavior, uniformly, across all four days of our trip, was much, much better than I've seen in the past. No running, screaming, pushing, lying down in the walkways; nothing of the sort, and their chanting was kept to an absolute minimum. In fact, the only times I can recall hearing them chant was when a monitor was gathering his group outside of the Land, where his kids had a wide open area to rally up the kids without getting in anyone else's way, and prior to the show at Fantasmic, where they chanted and started the wave, which everyone in the very full stands joined in with, myself included.

More notably, the groups seemed to have a higher concentration of young adult "monitors" who were easily identified by their flags and garish outfits. I also noticed dozens of rather stern-looking cast members in the parks wearing different uniforms with little Brazilian flag pins. I thought perhaps that they were interpreters, but I didn't see any other such language-specific pins worn by other cast members, so I can only assume that they were there to act as a liaison between the professional monitors and the parks, should the need arise.

The only times I witnessed the kids causing a "problem" were when cast members simply didn't know how to accommodate such large groups. The first was at the load station at Test Track, where the loader was attempting to put a tour group of about 30 kids into the cars. The kids, naturally, wanted to sit in their own groups with their friends, but the cast member seemed to assume that everyone with the same T-shirt ought to be grouped into as few groups of 6 as possible, and their monitor seemed to be too busy translating to figure out the problem. The other time was at the boat dock at Port Orleans Riverside, where a tour group was gathering in the shade under the dock, but also in line for the boat back to the French Quarter. There were "normal" guests before and after the tour group, but as the boat itself was around the corner we couldn't see the dock itself. When a boat came to load for guests, the tour group wasn't ready to depart yet, but no one called to the back of the line for anyone to come forward, so the boat ended up leaving mostly-empty and a bunch of us had to quickly hike back to French Quarter to make our DME bus. In both cases, I'd chalk up the problems to miscommunication rather than behavior.

So I'm wondering; have the years of complaints from "normal" tourists and families caused Disney to begin having some stern talks with the companies that run these tour operations? I really did sense a kind of sea change this year, for the better.

WDWVolFan

I can't say for sure but I checked the website for the travel agency I used back in 97 for my trip and they do have a mention that a meeting with the parents and kids about appropriate behavior at Disney and Universal, would take place and that folks would have to understand and agree to those guidelines. How enforced they are, I'm not sure.

Jahona

I was there at the beginning of July and Cast Members were enforcing behavior of the tour groups. I was walking up to the FastPass line at Seven Dwarfs and there was a tour group near the front of standby; they started to do a chant and a Cast Member ran up and stopped them. Also one thing I noticed that they didn't do last year is use the FastPass system. The tour groups last year all went standby or single rider. This year I noticed that the group leaders had key to the world cards they were handing out to their kids with preselected rides. Going to Test Track and a group gets in the FastPass line kind of defeats the purpose of FastPass.

Jahona

Aaaaaand that's why I'm going in September :geek:

I feel awful for those who have no recourse but to visit during the summer months, both for the crowds and the weather (which is only slightly less oppressive in late September).

One of these years I'll make a trip that's not during the summer. I have the ability to but just seem to always go during the summer.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
One of these years I'll make a trip that's not during the summer. I have the ability to but just seem to always go during the summer.
Last time I didn't go in the Summer was February 2013. Being a high school student, it's just inconvenient to go anytime else (senioritis might fix that problem this year!). I've found that despite the crowds, I can still do a lot in the parks by playing my cards wisely. The only thing I truly dislike about visiting in Summer is the oppressive heat.

vyst

Last time I didn't go in the Summer was February 2013. Being a high school student, it's just inconvenient to go anytime else (senioritis might fix that problem this year!). I've found that despite the crowds, I can still do a lot in the parks by playing my cards wisely. The only thing I truly dislike about visiting in Summer is the oppressive heat.

Oppressive humidity you mean!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Aaaaaand that's why I'm going in September :geek:
Ditto.

When I was there with my high school NYFA summer camp (New York Film Academy)... There were some chants from brazilian tour groups in the Thunder Mountain queue. Our NYFA group started chanting "NYFA" and we eventually won the battle. I was ever so proud.

Jahona

Ditto.

When I was there with my high school NYFA summer camp (New York Film Academy)... There were some chants from brazilian tour groups in the Thunder Mountain queue. Our NYFA group started chanting "NYFA" and we eventually won the battle. I was ever so proud.

Last year at EPCOT one night we walked by a tour group that stated chanting Argentina. My friends and I joined in chanting USA. A few of the kids in the tour group gave us odd looks like we were strange or something. Either that or we were throwing off their groove.

The Empress Lilly

You won. Everybody normal person in the park lost. Well done.

Next group to chant in my ear I will follow to their hotel room, where I will 'win' the 'loudest most obnoxious' contest with chainsaws and ship horns near their bedroom windows at 4am.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

You won. Everybody normal person in the park lost. Well done.

Next group to chant in my ear I will follow to their hotel room, where I will 'win' the 'loudest most obnoxious' contest with chainsaws and ship horns near their bedroom windows at 4am.

R8mplVt.gif

DManRightHere

Is it really that the Brazillion groups are rude and out of control, or they just don't know any better compared to our American standards (or our declining American standards)?

Just curious as I was reading about how different their culture is. Particularly how extroverted everyone is and how they don't consider much into personal space.

Animaniac93-98

No less than five rides in MK two weeks ago.

Let me guess: Pirates, Mermaid, Small World, Dwarfs Mine Train & Peter Pan (or Winnie the Pooh?)

Regardless, not saying anything (which CMs are often guilty of) only enables this behaviour. People can be lazy and say "they don't speak English", but my experience tells me when they do say it it does make a difference.

grim-grinning_toast

Let me guess: Pirates, Mermaid, Small World, Dwarfs Mine Train & Peter Pan (or Winnie the Pooh?)

Regardless, not saying anything (which CMs are often guilty of) only enables this behaviour. People can be lazy and say "they don't speak English", but my experience tells me when they do say it it does make a difference.

You forgot Haunted Mansion!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom