The Boat House construction at Disney Springs The Landing

Nubs70

Pricing at $100 for 20 mins (3 people) seems about what I was expecting. That seems like a pretty solid balance between over-demand and over-expensive. I may or may not do it, but I'm sure that price-point is right on target.
Is that $100 for 3 guests or $100 per guest?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
?

The way @wdwmagic wrote it, It sounds as if $100 for 3 guests, but he'd need to clarify.

"The BOATHOUSE will be offering tours of the Village Lake in an amphicar for $100. The 20 minute cruise has seating for 3 guests, plus the boat captain - guests will not be able to drive themselves."
$100 for the boat, which seats 3. So the $100 will cover all 3.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pricing at $100 for 20 mins (3 people) seems about what I was expecting. That seems like a pretty solid balance between over-demand and over-expensive. I may or may not do it, but I'm sure that price-point is right on target.
I would agree. It won't suit everyone, but then this is not a high capacity ride.

Nubs70

I would agree. It won't suit everyone, but then this is not a high capacity ride.
Seems like the contribution margin will be relatively high. However, the low volume capacity will not make it a huge money maker.

This is an attraction that would be well served to offer as free to resort guests and AP's. If the operating costs are divided up and rolled into room cost, the individual increase in room price would be minimal and serve as tool to lure guests to DTD and encourage the guest to spend money on even higher net margin offerings.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So $33 a person, that's not un-reasonable.

Except.. when it's not three.. it's more :) Dunno... $30+/head is kind of steep on the experience scale... especially given the duration and lack of personal involvement. Visiting the Space Needle last month was $21/head.. but it was also a heck of a lot more than a 20 min boat ride. For reference, the Empire State Building, to see both levels, was basically $52/head.

To me those are prices you 'do it once' to see the unique thing... and not something you do each time you goto the area, or you do just for your evening entertainment. Maybe Disney is pricing it out to be more like a boutique experience and less about general recreation.

Counter point... the price per head is on par with the personal boat rentals on Bay Lake.

Maybe this is why we never do the boat rentals anymore? :)

Nubs70

Regardless.. units not designed for high endurance or high # of hours.. being asked to do so.. not always the best formula.
This is why I say mitigated and not eliminated. Even though failures may not be catastrophic, many minor failures can still be extremely expensive.

CentralFLlife

Seems like the contribution margin will be relatively high. However, the low volume capacity will not make it a huge money maker.

This is an attraction that would be well served to offer as free to resort guests and AP's. If the operating costs are divided up and rolled into room cost, the individual increase in room price would be minimal and serve as tool to lure guests to DTD and encourage the guest to spend money on even higher net margin offerings.
If it were operated by Disney then yes I could see it as being heavily discounted to guests and AP's, but since its operated by Gibson's there is no reason to. It doesn't matter to Gibson's where the guests come from, as long as they show up.

CentralFLlife

Regardless.. units not designed for high endurance or high # of hours.. being asked to do so.. not always the best formula.
I remember reading that they modernized the mechanics and upgraded some components of the amphicars. Im sure they beefed them up a bit mechanically so they can handle it.

mm121

Dunno - this has got 'swan boats' written all over it IMO. Something tried and then quickly moving onto yesterland...
well unlike the swan boats since this is a paid experience, it will be easy to quantify if it runs at a profit or runs at a loss.

and even if it runs at a slight loss they would probably keep operating it as it is part of the ambiance.

though if no one rides them then they wont be but despite the pricing and lack of ability to drive them, i'm sure there are people out there with cash to burn

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom