The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Kiwiduck

In non-celebration years, DL runs their day parade daily, with fireworks and Fantasmic on weekends only, except in peak times like summer, spring break and the Christmas season. WOC runs nightly year round as well. PTN is taking the old MSEP schedule, which was seasonal as well. CA clean air regulations prohibit nightly fireworks at DL every year - they save up credits to use during celebrations like this one.

Also, isn't HKDL beautiful and charming? I could ride Mystic Manor all day every day, and almost did since there was never a line!
Thank you, that makes sense.
Yes, HKDL and my hotel were both amazing, so glad I went. I rode mystic manor so much I managed to not see everything in two days despite the park supposedly being doable in one day. Sounds stupid but I was actually happy when I encountered a short line there on my second day; the ride deserves it!

jrhwdw

I believe it will run the entire Christmas season (mid Nov - early Jan), but I don't have 100% on that. It would be financially unlikely for them to mount it for one week only over Christmas.
I was wondering that as well, as MSEP didn't do DL at Christmas,, Plus, I'm wondering if DL will want to do ACF at night again before PTN comes back. I'm thinking Believe is a given since we're getting Halloween Screams for the Halloween Parties?

Can we throw out the "PTN is going to MK" rumor now? Is Soundsational going back to its old schedule when PTN isn't running? Anything more on the new Christmas show for WOC?

Axoman

For those just joining us, Disneyland Forever and WOC-C will end with the diamond celebration in September. Paint the Night will go seasonal and run at Christmas, spring break and summer only.

Man, that's a bummer as we tend to try to go late August/early September when crowds tend to be pretty reasonable and I assume the summer season is over at that point?

GiveMeTheMusic

I was wondering that as well, as MSEP didn't do DL at Christmas,, Plus, I'm wondering if DL will want to do ACF at night again before PTN comes back. I'm thinking Believe is a given since we're getting Halloween Screams for the Halloween Parties?

Can we throw out the "PTN is going to MK" rumor now? Is Soundsational going back to its old schedule when PTN isn't running? Anything more on the new Christmas show for WOC?

The PTN to WDW rumor was thrown out awhile ago. It never had any basis in reality. IIRC, MSEP did used to run at Christmastime at DL, way back in the day. It did at DCA as well. Believe is returning for Christmas.

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry if it's been said already, but do we know what fireworks show will be replacing DL Forever once it goes away?

Fantasy in the Sky will run on weekends (non Halloween party nights), with Halloween Screams at each party. Then Believe in Holiday Magic at Christmas. After that, not sure.

Figments Friend

A friend who is involved in the technical aspects of the pyro presentations told me a month or so ago that 'Remember' is supposed to be coming back....in a 'slightly updated form'.
I was told projections are going to be added to 'Remember', but most of the Show will remain the same.
The time slot he alluded to was post-Holiday season.

Things may well have changed since I heard from him, as things often do.
I remember posting about it at the time here...in one of these threads.

I for one would be fine with seeing this Show come back as it is a great one.
Even in a 'enhanced' form...so long as the added projections are not overly distracting or too 'busy'.
That is what I disliked about 'Forever' - the projections on the Main Street buildings was a bit too 'busy' for my tastes.
A display of flashy tech, but no real emotional connection or substance within the context of what was just another 'clip show' presentation.
'Remember' had a lot more heart, nostalgia, and a proper story.
Loved it!

-

Last edited:

VJ

A friend who is involved in the technical aspects of the pyro presentations told me a month or so ago that 'Remember' is supposed to be coming back....in a 'slightly updated form'.
I was told projections are going to be added to 'Remember', but most of Show will remain the same.
The time slot he alluded to was post-Holiday season.

Things may well have changed since I heard from him, as things often do.
I remember posting about it at the time here...in one of these threads.

I for on would be fine with seeing this Show come back in a 'enhanced' form...so long as the added projections are not overly distracting or too 'busy'.
This is what I disliked about 'Forever' - the projections on the Main Street buildings was a bit too 'busy' for my tastes.

-
An enhanced Remember would be best of both worlds for me. The thing I didn't like about DLF was it was a 60th anniversary commemorative show that was commemorating Disneyland as loosely as possible. "here's some orange groves, here's a Walt quote now here's some movies that have nothing to do with Disneyland!" They tried to make it about Disneyland and failed miserably while Remember got it as perfect as you could get. They did slightly better with Celebrate but apparently I'm in the minority as far as my preferring it to DLF.

Figments Friend

Agree.

'Forever' was a dissapointment for me, as a Show, but the quality and scope of the pyro shells was excellent.
Some beautiful and unique things, coupled with the Castle spotlights in the sky at its conclusion.
Those aspects were quite nice and I appreciated them.
The Show itself however is another matter.
Didn't appeal to me.

'Remember' is pure class, with a lot of fun and a tear or two tossed in for good measure.
Clever uses of the pyro and effects and well executed.
The concept of having Julie Andrews 'story book read' the tale of Disneyland was a stroke of freaking brillance.

'Forever' started off promising ( the orange trees, Walt, etc.) but then it quickly sank into the format of yet another Disney 'video clip show' of popular IPs from Pixar and the Studio.
It had none of the emotional punch that it should have had for a Show specially made for the Parks 'Diamond Anniversary'....in my opinion.

-

Last edited:

VJ

Agree.

'Forever' was a dissapointment for me.
'Remember' is pure class, with a lot of fun and a tear or two tossed in for good measure.
Clever uses of the pyro and effects and well executed.
The concept of having Julie Andrews 'story book read' the tale of Disneyland was a stroke of freaking brillance.

'Forever' started off promising ( the orange trees, Walt, etc.) but en quickly sank into the format of yet another 'video clip show' of popular IPs from Pixar and Disney.
It had none of the emotional punch that it should have had for a special Show for the 'Diamond Anniversary'....in my opinion.

-
If they were to include more of Disneyland plus "Live the Magic" and "Kiss Goodnight" I feel like it'd be perfect. I don't completely hate Forever, on its own it's very good. It's just not what I was expecting for Disneyland's 60th anniversary.

Figments Friend

Same here....

I don't 'hate' DLForever.
It's a decent fireworks presentation, but just not my cup of tea.

I actually enjoyed the Show more watching it in front of Big Thunder Mountain...without the soundtrack and without the distracting projections.
Just the beautiful big shells of pyro behind 'Tony's Mountain'.
Yeah, that was a nice way to view it!

:)

-

VJ

The Remember finale (even if it was borrowed music) always makes me tear up starting at "Like a bolt out of the blue..." Just one of those memories that you don't ever really forget.

I am kind of sad that Fantasy in the Sky is coming back, though. They've been playing the same show for years; I wish they'd at least update it a little but it doesn't seem likely this time around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom