Team Younger: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Six Open Brainstorming

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Six: Theater Geeks
Aladdin_on_Broadway.jpg

Based on Jagfkb's Sleeping Beauty Musical from Season Two

Jagfkb's Sleeping Beauty Musical in the final project of season two cemented Jag as a legendary winner and that project and concept as hands down the best entertainment-based project we've ever seen. Now is your chance to top it! This prompt is deceptively simple. Teams simply must design an hour-long musical for any Disney park based off of any Disney animated film...but here's the catch...The animated film you choose CANNOT have been adapted into a Disney theatrical in any form. No Broadway shows, no theme park shows, no Disney Cruise Line shows. That definitely limits your options and forces you to get creative.

@ThatGuyFromFlorida was in possession of the key to Walt's Vault this round but chose not to open the Vault. Had he opened it, he would have been able to hand-pick which animated film the opposing team which would have probably led to hilarious results. With the vault not open, both teams have selection of whatever film they want so long as it fits the guidelines.

Good luck teams. This project is due Thursday, March 16th at 11:59 PM Eastern

And one more thing...Since this last round was non elimination, this current round will be a DOUBLE elimination for the loosing team. You've all lasted through over half the cast. Work hard to make sure you're not one of the ones cut before heading into the merge!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, my first thought is Wreck it Ralph. A lot of good opportunities for interesting visuals and sets. And Ralph is practically begging for a soulful show stopping ballad that Vannellope reprises and then they sing a happy duet of it as a reprise and then when Ralph breaks her car there is another quick reprise but sad and then one final short reprise at the end.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, my first thought is Wreck it Ralph. A lot of good opportunities for interesting visuals and sets. And Ralph is practically begging for a soulful show stopping ballad that Vannellope reprises and then they sing a happy duet of it as a reprise and then when Ralph breaks her car there is another quick reprise but sad and then one final short reprise at the end.
Like...
Ralph sings "in my Home All Alone" after catchy opening number.
Vannellope sings a shorter version of "In my Home All Alone" whenshe is showing Ralph her home.
When Ralph breaks her car, he (is a sad way) tells her to go back "To You Home All Alone" and she angrily tells him through tears the same thing.
And then the final number of the song in the four leads telling each other that they're a family now, so you don't have to go "to Your Home All Alone"

I am definitely open to other movies if people don't want to take this route. Just wanted to try and clarify my idea. Also, but sure if I would be able to do this, but maaaaaybe I could get one of my irl friends to help write us some music or perform a song. BIG maybe. Would outside help like that be allowed @TheOriginalTiki @MANEATINGWREATH

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Another interesting idea would be Nightmare Before Christmas, but not following the plot.

Jack wants to do something new for Halloween! And he just recently discovered BROAD WAY! So, the show would be Jack trying to make the other balloweentown residents perform a tribute/parody of his favorite songs to hillarious and unpredictable results.

I still would vote Ralph out of these two though. But I like both. And I'm still open to other ideas of course.

MANEATINGWREATH

I am definitely open to other movies if people don't want to take this route. Just wanted to try and clarify my idea. Also, but sure if I would be able to do this, but maaaaaybe I could get one of my irl friends to help write us some music or perform a song. BIG maybe. Would outside help like that be allowed @TheOriginalTiki @MANEATINGWREATH

I would be okay with that. As long as you are able to consistently work as a team even with the outside help.

DisneyManOne

We have a lot of options to choose from: Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Robin Hood are good options. Or, we could go really modern and do Moana!

JokersWild

Wreck it Ralph could be interesting. It's not really my favorite option, but I think that it could possibly work well.

I also like Moana. If only it had more than four songs....

What about Pinocchio? It could be super interesting, I think. There's a lot that we could do with it, at the very least. Or honestly, even something weird like Ratatouille, James and the Giant Peach, or Princess and the Frog.

Actually, the more I think about it, I think I'm really partial to either Ratatouille or James and the Giant Peach. Ratatouille is just weird enough that it could be really cool to see as a stag production, and James and the Giant Peach could make for a really could spectacle with Julie Taymor-esque sets and puppets.

Great to be here, by the way, and can't wait to work with those I have yet to work with.

DisneyManOne

Wreck it Ralph could be interesting. It's not really my favorite option, but I think that it could possibly work well.

I also like Moana. If only it had more than four songs....

What about Pinocchio? It could be super interesting, I think. There's a lot that we could do with it, at the very least. Or honestly, even something weird like Ratatouille, James and the Giant Peach, or Princess and the Frog.

Actually, the more I think about it, I think I'm really partial to either Ratatouille or James and the Giant Peach. Ratatouille is just weird enough that it could be really cool to see as a stag production, and James and the Giant Peach could make for a really could spectacle with Julie Taymor-esque sets and puppets.

Great to be here, by the way, and can't wait to work with those I have yet to work with.

If Frozen could use all seven songs from the film, I'm sure we could adapt Moana with that in mind, as well. I imagine a large curved stage, big enough to hold a few wayfinding boats for "We Know the Way", and the Oscar performance of "How Far I'll Go" gave me the idea to use those large sheets to represent the Ocean.

But, I'm also quite intrigued by your idea with "James and the Giant Peach". That would be super fun! And five songs would be enough to carry a theme park production. So, my pick would be either Moana or James and the Giant Peach.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
My only hesitation with Moana is that it may be seems too obvious. Like, the new big Disney musical movie becoming the new big Disney musical show. It would be an absolutely amazing show though!

JokersWild

I remember this project. I went with a 'Peter Pan' musical, though I can't seem to remember much about it. As far as location goes, Hyperion Theater at DCA?
Do we need a location? If so, I'd say MGM, honestly. DCA JUST got Frozen, while Beauty and the Beast has been running for 20+ years. Might be time for a change. Perhaps refurb the theatre as a whole.

My only hesitation with Moana is that it may be seems too obvious. Like, the new big Disney musical movie becoming the new big Disney musical show. It would be an absolutely amazing show though!
I'm not too terribly partial to Moana either, honestly. A bit too recent, and a bit too obvious.

JokersWild

If Frozen could use all seven songs from the film, I'm sure we could adapt Moana with that in mind, as well. I imagine a large curved stage, big enough to hold a few wayfinding boats for "We Know the Way", and the Oscar performance of "How Far I'll Go" gave me the idea to use those large sheets to represent the Ocean.

But, I'm also quite intrigued by your idea with "James and the Giant Peach". That would be super fun! And five songs would be enough to carry a theme park production. So, my pick would be either Moana or James and the Giant Peach.
I think that James and the Giant Peach could be a super interesting direction to take this in, definitely. There are enough songs to carry a show, and the design of the film could be incredible to see on stage. Like I said, we could make this really Julie Taymor-inspired (the director to The Lion King on Broadway.)

DisneyManOne

If we're gonna go with James and the Giant Peach, I think we should start with the plot's synopsis...so we can decide what to cut from this stage adaptation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia: "James Henry Trotter is a young boy who lives with his parents by the sea in England. On James' birthday, they plan to go to New York City and visit the Empire State Building, the tallest building in the world. However, his parents are killed by a ghostly rhinoceros from the sky and James finds himself living with his two ignorant and cruel aunts, Spiker and Sponge.

He is forced to work all day and they antagonize him by threatening him with beatings to keep him in line and torment him about the mysterious rhino and other hazards if he ever attempts to escape. While rescuing a spider from being squashed by his aunts, James meets a mysterious man with a bag of magic green "crocodile tongues", which he gives to James to make his life better. The man instructs him not to lose the "tongues" and disappears. When James is returning to the house, he trips and the "tongues" escape into the ground.

This transforms a peach on a withered old tree into enormous proportions. Spiker and Sponge sell tickets to view the giant peach. James crawls inside a large hole he inadvertently creates in the peach, and he finds and befriends a group of life-size anthropomorphic bugs (Mr. Grasshopper, Mr. Centipede, Earthworm, Miss Spider, Mrs. Ladybug, and Glowworm). As they hear the aunts search for James, Mr. Centipede cuts the stem connecting the giant peach to the tree and the peach rolls away to the Atlantic Ocean.

Remembering his dream to visit New York City, James and the insects decide to go there with Mr. Centipede steering the peach. They use Miss Spider's silk to capture and tie a hundred seagulls to the peach stem, while battling against a giant robotic shark. Miss Spider reveals to James that she was the spider he saved from Spiker and Sponge. The next day, James and his friends find themselves in The Arctic; the Centipede has fallen asleep while keeping watch. After hearing Mr. Grasshoper wishing they had a compass, Mr. Centipede jumps off the peach into the icy water below and searches a sunken ship for a compass but is taken prisoner by skeletal pirates. James and Miss Spider rescue him and the journey continues.

As they reach New York City, a storm appears, along with the ghostly rhino. James is frightened but challenges the rhino and gets his friends to safety before the rhino strikes the peach with lightning; James and the peach fall to the city below, landing on top of the Empire State Building. After he is rescued by police officers, firefighters, and the largest crane in New York City, Spiker and Sponge arrive and attempt to claim James and the peach. James reveals Spiker and Sponge's abusive behavior towards him to the crowd, who gasp in shock at the revelation. Spiker and Sponge become enraged by James' betrayal and attempt to kill him. The bugs arrive and tie up Spiker and Sponge with Miss Spider's silk and both aunts are arrested. James introduces his friends to the New Yorkers and allows the children to eat up the peach. The peach pit is made into a house in Central Park, where James lives happily with the bugs, who form his new family and also take important jobs in the city. James celebrates his ninth birthday with his new family."

So, what do you think? The only thing I can think of cutting right now is the Arctic compass scene; I considered cutting the shark scene, but then again, we need an explanation as to how the peach gets airborne.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom