Team Younger: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Six Open Brainstorming

DisneyManOne

Alright, I went ahead and modeled the theater. I think I'll design the sets with this setup. They likely won't be overly complex.

I honestly believe we should enclose it and expand the stage. If we're gonna do Pinocchio, we need some seriously detailed sets--the Italian streets, Pleasure Island, Stromboli's caravan, Monstro's belly...I just don't think we can do it justice with a mere scrim.

Basketbuddy101

I honestly believe we should enclose it and expand the stage. If we're gonna do Pinocchio, we need some seriously detailed sets--the Italian streets, Pleasure Island, Stromboli's caravan, Monstro's belly...I just don't think we can do it justice with a mere scrim.
My initial instinct was to close the theater, but I second guessed this. I'll go ahead and do it now.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Do the song I'm making, I was thinking about trying to condense Pleasure Island like @Basketbuddy101 suggested. Make that sequence one (slightly extended) song. Starts happy and dream like but does a key change into a minor key and becomes very sinister.

Maybe have a new carnival barker type character sing it.

Something like the fantasy island theme with lyrics, but it becomes sinister.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Do the song I'm making, I was thinking about trying to condense Pleasure Island like @Basketbuddy101 suggested. Make that sequence one (slightly extended) song. Starts happy and dream like but does a key change into a minor key and becomes very sinister.

But not overtly sinister. The lyrics will be sinister and the events happening will be, but the song will still be upbeat adding to the uneasiness

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, I'm thinking about Jiminy Cricket. What if he wasn't in the main stage. Have like a balcony/Perch type thing above the stage and two perches on the sides.

That way we don't have to worry about his scale being different (You know, since he's a cricket haha).

His presence in the show could be done similarly to the narrator from Into the Woods where he both is a part of the show as well as breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the audience.

JokersWild

Oh my god. So sorry, guys. I stopped getting notifications for some reason, and came back in to say that we should probably get working on this as I thought the thread had died.

Nevertheless, with that sorted out I'm back. I'm in class right now, but I'll check back in after I get out. So we're doing Pinocchio now? I wouldn't be opposed to tackling art design. I can't really draw, but I can describe the direction I'd like to take the look of the show.

JokersWild

Wholeheartedly agree, and was just about to suggest the same thing :p

However, we should absolutely keep at least the shape of the stage. I think it'd be cool to try to theme the actual stage. As it is now, it's kind of the perfect shape where it could be anything. With projection mapping (or some other process) we could make it look like Stromboli's stage, Pleasure Island, or even Monstro's mouth. Could be an interesting way to really immerse the entire stage in the story of the show.

JokersWild

Why not have the Coachman and the kids sing it? Big showstopping ensemble song, a la Masquerade from Phantom. Perhaps the kids chorus could begin turning into donkeys towards the end of the song? Could be a nice halfway point.

Let me know if you'd like any help with the song as well. I can't promise much, but I might be able to put my piano to use ;)

Basketbuddy101

Wholeheartedly agree, and was just about to suggest the same thing :p

However, we should absolutely keep at least the shape of the stage. I think it'd be cool to try to theme the actual stage. As it is now, it's kind of the perfect shape where it could be anything. With projection mapping (or some other process) we could make it look like Stromboli's stage, Pleasure Island, or even Monstro's mouth. Could be an interesting way to really immerse the entire stage in the story of the show.
I've made some pretty heavy modifications to the theater but you can definitely still tell it's the same as the original. Updates coming soon.

Basketbuddy101

Updated stage with new enclosed building. The curtains on each side are specifically for projection mapping. The stage space is expanded toward the front. New air conditioning system installed. New walkway space below stage to allow for additional performers or puppets. The stage mostly takes a Stromboli's theater motif, but with some modifications in lighting, can be themed to Pleasure Island and the inside of Monstro.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Love those ideas. I'm gonna try to post a quick sample of my horrible singing voice singing a chorus tonight after work. Then, anything you can do on piano tomorrow would be great!

Just in general, even if all you could do is put a little medley overture together for the show would be amazing!

Having actual music will be a big plus for us I think
Why not have the Coachman and the kids sing it? Big showstopping ensemble song, a la Masquerade from Phantom. Perhaps the kids chorus could begin turning into donkeys towards the end of the song? Could be a nice halfway point.

Let me know if you'd like any help with the song as well. I can't promise much, but I might be able to put my piano to use ;)

JokersWild

Love those ideas. I'm gonna try to post a quick sample of my horrible singing voice singing a chorus tonight after work. Then, anything you can do on piano tomorrow would be great!

Just in general, even if all you could do is put a little medley overture together for the show would be amazing!

Having actual music will be a big plus for us I think

I will definitely try. I'll start looking at stuff tonight and try to get it up late afternoon tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom