TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

disney4life2008

I rode it a few weeks ago - it is a bore fest now. I strongly dislike voice over narrated attractions (especially those that are to be movie studio esque). This was the severe downfall of the backlot tour and of course getting rid of the golden girls house. The new great movie ride is still a joy to ride but the narration is too boring.

Next Big Thing

I rode it a few weeks ago - it is a bore fest now. I strongly dislike voice over narrated attractions (especially those that are to be movie studio esque). This was the severe downfall of the backlot tour and of course getting rid of the golden girls house. The new great movie ride is still a joy to ride but the narration is too boring.
Well, the sponsorship is only for 5 years as of now. They've done great work fixing up the exterior and creating a nice new queue video (although I do miss the preview clips). Hopefully if the contract ends and they decide not to renew, the voice-over goes away.

Bairstow

Jungle Cruise they aren't given any control... those that go off-script are doing it against Disney's wishes and can get reprimanded for it. Ever wonder why it's completely quiet during the temple scene? It's in the script that way and if they get caught speaking during that part, they are automatically reprimanded.

And now that there is a lot of narration in the RVs, I feel like it will just result in more lazy/less enthusiastic CMs. They aren't getting paid entertainment wages, why do more than they have to?

Why, then, will you hear so many different spiels over the course of a day at the Jungle Cruise? A lot of jokes get repeated but there's always at least some new material every time I ride.

Also, I love the quiet portion during the temple sequence. Maybe the hosts are quiet in there because it's better that way. Not only would the host's amplified narration be obnoxious in there, but the subdued Cambodian percussion music and somewhat more sinister gags are a refreshing contrast to the rest of the attraction.

Next Big Thing

Why, then, will you hear so many different spiels over the course of a day at the Jungle Cruise? A lot of jokes get repeated but there's always at least some new material every time I ride.

Also, I love the quiet portion during the temple sequence. Maybe the hosts are quiet in there because it's better that way. Not only would the host's amplified narration be obnoxious in there, but the subdued Cambodian percussion music and somewhat more sinister gags are a refreshing contrast to the rest of the attraction.
Because it's become tradition among CMs there to put their own spin on the spiel. It's frowned upon, but as long as you stick to the same basic spiel, there's no consequences.

RSoxNo1

Because it's become tradition among CMs there to put their own spin on the spiel. It's frowned upon, but as long as you stick to the same basic spiel, there's no consequences.
A ride like the Jungle Cruise and Great Movie Ride should have variants to the script. Each scene should have a few different things that can be said, and CMs should be able to make suggestions that are undergo an approval process. You get to the African Veldt and people have submitted 25 different accepted jokes. That creates variety and improves the guest experience.

PorterRedkey

A ride like the Jungle Cruise and Great Movie Ride should have variants to the script. Each scene should have a few different things that can be said, and CMs should be able to make suggestions that are undergo an approval process. You get to the African Veldt and people have submitted 25 different accepted jokes. That creates variety and improves the guest experience.

I totally agree! I think previously Disney wanted to provide a consistent show. This is the excuse they used for taking the cast member of of the Living with the Land ride and the Backlot tour. I think this is bull. I think they were just trying to save a few bucks.

Parks now want attractions that are re-rideable. Adding different jokes to the Jungle Cruise is an easy way to increase the "re-ride" factor. I rode it twice in DL, once in the day and once at night. It was the same jokes both times, so we didn't ride it again for the rest of the trip.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Though the recorded spiel offers consistent show quality the voice overs are now rather rushed and too intrusive to the show scene audio. Live spiels are pushed into the wrong zone (sometimes the wrong scene) and the CMs role is greatly reduced. As planned perhaps? At least they still control vehicle speed. Mostly.

Next Big Thing

Though the recorded spiel offers consistent show quality the voice overs are now rather rushed and too intrusive to the show scene audio. Live spiels are pushed into the wrong zone (sometimes the wrong scene) and the CMs role is greatly reduced. As planned perhaps? At least they still control vehicle speed. Mostly.
Robert Osborne's voice is also just so monotone. It's a bit of a bore to listen to him (although he does have a few funny quips within his spiel).

Kamikaze

I totally agree! I think previously Disney wanted to provide a consistent show. This is the excuse they used for taking the cast member of of the Living with the Land ride and the Backlot tour. I think this is bull. I think they were just trying to save a few bucks.

Parks now want attractions that are re-rideable. Adding different jokes to the Jungle Cruise is an easy way to increase the "re-ride" factor. I rode it twice in DL, once in the day and once at night. It was the same jokes both times, so we didn't ride it again for the rest of the trip.

Blame cell phones for not going off script. CMs are too worried about being caught making a joke that isn't 'approved' and getting reprimanded/fired for it.

Next Big Thing

Blame cell phones for not going off script. CMs are too worried about being caught making a joke that isn't 'approved' and getting reprimanded/fired for it.
Yeah, with everyone recording everything today and posting to YouTube, going off-script is something that can be very easy to find out about should a video see a lot of views for some reason and all of a sudden Disney themselves is looking into it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
when the attraction was built they could have easily just put a tape deck in place with cues... but they didn't do that. I wish disney would stop trying to sterilize the entire park visiting experience.

Last edited:

AEfx

when the attraction was built they could have easily just put a tape deck in place with queues... but they didn't do that. I wish disney would stop trying to sterilize the entire park visiting experience.

I don't think the intention is really to "sterilize" - more quality control/consistency and cost of operation. I don't agree it's the way to always go, but I see why they choose to do it.

Luxe

when the attraction was built they could have easily just put a tape deck in place with queues... but they didn't do that. I wish disney would stop trying to sterilize the entire park visiting experience.

Sorry maybe I'm reading this wrong but what do you mean by putting take deck in place with queues?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry maybe I'm reading this wrong but what do you mean by putting take deck in place with queues?

That the use of CMs on the vehicles was not a NECESSITY - it was done to be part of the show. To take the speiling CM out of the show is nothing but a reduction that leaves you in this awkward phase of 'why are you even here?'

To have the attraction spiel w/o CMs could have been done with recorded audio and cues to trigger it.

Bairstow

That the use of CMs on the vehicles was not a NECESSITY - it was done to be part of the show. To take the speiling CM out of the show is nothing but a reduction that leaves you in this awkward phase of 'why are you even here?'

To have the attraction spiel w/o CMs could have been done with recorded audio and cues to trigger it.

They still do the cowboy/gangster/incineration thing, which is all most people probably remembered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom