TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

AEfx

The thing I find odd about the montage, which granted I have only seen it on youtube and not in person is some of the head scratching selections of the movie scenes themselves. For example, when Frozen appears, forgetting the controversies of if it belongs or not, the scene appears to be just the characters standing there. Not the scene of Elsa making the ice castle?

I don't think it's just going for "here are the biggest scenes in the biggest films" - it's a montage that tries to connect the clips with flow, style, and/or movement vs. judgements on which scenes are most important in the films.

DisneyGentleman

The wires in the pics are for the scrim. If your talking about the wires for the AAs, they're where you think they are. Marys back, Nelly's foot, and Bert's... umm... backside of water.
Mary is supported by a mechanism that comes through the chimney, then through her bag. It supports her entire body through her right arm. I say mechanism because the support cannot simply rotate like a railroad crossing gate. She stays vertical as she moves up and down, so it must be more like a hinged parallelogram mechanism (see video linked below). I do not believe she is supported on wires.

If you take a quick look right as you exit the scene, you can see the support (it's black). Pretty clever misdirection, I'd say.

Castle Cake Apologist

Mary is supported by a mechanism that comes through the chimney, then through her bag. It supports her entire body through her right arm. I say mechanism because the support cannot simply rotate like a railroad crossing gate. She stays vertical as she moves up and down, so it must be more like a hinged parallelogram mechanism (see video linked below). I do not believe she is supported on wires.

If you take a quick look right as you exit the scene, you can see the support (it's black). Pretty clever misdirection, I'd say.

I'm fairly certain they were talking about the wires that actually power the figure. IE: the electrical supply.

I always love looking for her support though. Call it a guilty Disney pleasure.

mergatroid

We're looking forward to experiencing this in person in October. Today I finally gave in to temptation and watched the finale on youtube. I've got to say I really liked it, still hots the spots and has some nice additions :cool:

Pirate665

I'm fairly certain they were talking about the wires that actually power the figure. IE: the electrical supply.

I always love looking for her support though. Call it a guilty Disney pleasure.
I was. I couldn't tell if the OP was talking about power, but they were referring to the scrim wires.

Next Big Thing

They probably aren't in any hurry right now to put the spires up as the temporary stage is still up and will sort of take away from the spires being added back as they'll be less noticeable. I'm thinking about when the Center stage goes in that's when we'll see the Spires.

YodaMan

Maybe they're not done adding TCM stuff? So far I like most of the updates
^this. Isn't it a multi-year sponsorship? I know they did a lot of stuff initially, but just in the past few weeks they've started redoing concrete and finished up the stage and spires so I'm betting they're constantly improving the ride little by little and won't ever really be "done," so to speak.

dannyboyindc

I'm so pleased they've got rid of the cheesy 90s jokes 'I see dead people! Oh it's George of the Jungle' etc., and the new CM script is much better, but the voiceover guy is soooo dull, really need some charisma classes!

Incidentally, we just rode it last week and the CM did say the "I see dead people" line. I agree the voice over is dull, it's the President of TCM that voices it. I don't like it actually. There's just too much talking, especially in the Alien scene. I think the new video montage at the end is good, but still prefer the timing of music to the video with the previous one. And finally, it feels more like a commercial now for TCM (understandably so). The ride however, looks to be in great shape and there are a TON of CM's working there now.

Next Big Thing

Has Disney ever experimented with giving the hosts more creative control in what they say, ala Jungle Cruise?
Jungle Cruise they aren't given any control... those that go off-script are doing it against Disney's wishes and can get reprimanded for it. Ever wonder why it's completely quiet during the temple scene? It's in the script that way and if they get caught speaking during that part, they are automatically reprimanded.

And now that there is a lot of narration in the RVs, I feel like it will just result in more lazy/less enthusiastic CMs. They aren't getting paid entertainment wages, why do more than they have to?

disney4life2008

Jungle Cruise they aren't given any control... those that go off-script are doing it against Disney's wishes and can get reprimanded for it. Ever wonder why it's completely quiet during the temple scene? It's in the script that way and if they get caught speaking during that part, they are automatically reprimanded.

And now that there is a lot of narration in the RVs, I feel like it will just result in more lazy/less enthusiastic CMs. They aren't getting paid entertainment wages, why do more than they have to?

I often wondered why the CMs said nothing in the temple I always assumed it was because they wanted a meditation type feel but your argument makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom