TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

WDWtraveler

Photo update from Friday, Mar 13.

IMG_5065.JPG

View from the exit of The Great Movie Ride. You can see the ironwork detail just below the roof, which matches the entrance to this attraction.

IMG_5064.JPG

Rose&Crowner

Tell me of another ride where the CMs offer to park your "limo" for you so you can go on the ride. I think the themed "parking garage" is quite necessary and awesome.

NearTheEars

Assumming this is where you will eventually be able to get your pic in front of the Hollywood sign, or some kind of red carpet backdrop right?

WDW Guru

When is this update going to start because when I went on the ride yesterday and it seems that a lot of the animatronics are not what they used to be. One of the aliens didnt work, many mouthes didnt move at all, and many scenes were silent not to mention the host not getting their timing right. I hope they start this update soon to bring back its former glory.

Goofyernmost

When is this update going to start because when I went on the ride yesterday and it seems that a lot of the animatronics are not what they used to be. One of the aliens didnt work, many mouthes didnt move at all, and many scenes were silent not to mention the host not getting their timing right. I hope they start this update soon to bring back its former glory.
Timing must be everything. I was there in February and everything was working and the timing was great. It looked better then I had seen it in years, especially Alien! I felt that with the exception of the fact that some of those AA's needed to be replaced with up to date ones, it was looking really good.

djkidkaz

Timing must be everything. I was there in February and everything was working and the timing was great. It looked better then I had seen it in years, especially Alien! I felt that with the exception of the fact that some of those AA's needed to be replaced with up to date ones, it was looking really good.

Agreed. Rode it last month and it was in the best condition I'd seen it in years.

peter11435

If you're referring to the alien in the wall it always remains motionless for the first vehicle. While the ceiling alien is attacking. Then it activates for the second vehicle

Goofyernmost

If you're referring to the alien in the wall it always remains motionless for the first vehicle. While the ceiling alien is attacking. Then it activates for the second vehicle
Damn, you learn something new everyday. I never realized that! I guess I was just thinking that they both worked, but, I was only able to look at one at a time. I think that it was the other way around this time because the vehicle I was in stopped in the western scene, which is usually the first vehicle and it was the wall one that I noticed was working. I didn't even look for the ceiling one. No wonder I miss all those terrible things that Disney is doing to the parks. I don't know what I should be looking for, I just let it surprise me.

peter11435

Damn, you learn something new everyday. I never realized that! I guess I was just thinking that they both worked, but, I was only able to look at one at a time. I think that it was the other way around this time because the vehicle I was in stopped in the western scene, which is usually the first vehicle and it was the wall one that I noticed was working. I didn't even look for the ceiling one. No wonder I miss all those terrible things that Disney is doing to the parks. I don't know what I should be looking for, I just let it surprise me.
I guess I should be more specific. When I say first and second vehicle I'm referring to the front and back car of a single vehicle.

MarkTwain

Interesting. That's a curious choice to run it that way on Disney's part, then. Every time I ride it it seems like guests assume it's broken (I often do myself), and by the sounds of it about half the guests never see it move, assuming it's just a broken animatronic. It's an unintended impression of bad show.

Seems like Disney could either hide it better until it makes its "attack" (have a panel slide open or something), or just have it move the whole time.

peter11435

Interesting. That's a curious choice to run it that way on Disney's part, then. Every time I ride it it seems like guests assume it's broken (I often do myself), and by the sounds of it about half the guests never see it move, assuming it's just a broken animatronic. It's an unintended impression of bad show.

Seems like Disney could either hide it better until it makes its "attack" (have a panel slide open or something), or just have it move the whole time.

Well it shouldn't move the whole time because there is only "one" alien. It's meant to blend in and look like part of the ship much like how the creature camouflages at times in the film. This illusion works great for first timers but once you're looking for the alien on subsequent rides it stands out.

NearTheEars

Well it shouldn't move the whole time because there is only "one" alien. It's meant to blend in and look like part of the ship much like how the creature camouflages at times in the film. This illusion works great for first timers but once you're looking for the alien on subsequent rides it stands out.

Yeah it's tough to spot for a first time rider, especially if you are in the first car. It blends in, and your attention is focused on the smoke spouting from the ceiling where the alien drops down.

I didn't know the one on the wall was there until riding in the second car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom