TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

champdisney

The least they could do is upgrade the quality of the footage. The best would be an AA Mickey commanding real water but I have no idea if that could fit in there.
Wow what a coup that would be though...an AA Mickey and real water... Even using animated water on scrims with an AA Mickey would be amazing... Use digital mapping projections on the rest of the room to put us in a 3 dimensional snippet of that film...it could be awesome.
Attention TDO/WDI please take notes, we know your on here.

prfctlyximprct

They should put up a Shirley Temple movie poster! She presented Walt seven mini Oscars, they have a picture of it at Pop Century.

100_1414.jpg

I love her two second clip at the end of the ride. :)

DisneyGentleman

The problem is that fantasia was added there 'quickly'... it was originally supposed to be the tornado scene from Wizard of Oz.. and the last room (where you see a few of my favorite films) would have been a visit to Oz himself, in the throne room....
Contract disputes with MGM killed all of that would-be magic.
This is a surprisingly complex quagmire. The original books and story are in the public domain, so copyright is no longer an issue. However anything that was in the 1939 movie (now owned by Warner Bros) that was not in the book is protected as a trademark.
When Disney did "Oz the Great and Powerful", their legal team forced them to go to great lengths to assure they did not infringe. Here is a very interesting read...

So had that been a more popular movie, you might be seeing scenes from it in the ride.

the-reason14

The problem is that fantasia was added there 'quickly'... it was originally supposed to be the tornado scene from Wizard of Oz.. and the last room (where you see a few of my favorite films) would have been a visit to Oz himself, in the throne room....

Contract disputes with MGM killed all of that would-be magic.

Interesting. I've heard about the supposed tornado scene being about OZ but I never heard about the ending scene being the throne room. Is there a site that explains what happened in detail? This interest me. If the ending was the throne room, was there ever any original plans of have a movie montage ending? I assume not, but the way it is now is the perfect closing to "the great movie ride" whereas the throne room ending wouldn't be.

wdw71fan

basically, the contract with MGM stipulated that only a certain percentage of the square footage of the attraction could be used for Wizard of OZ, the other scenes would have greatly exceeded it.... very silly reasoning really.

Rob562

Interesting. I've heard about the supposed tornado scene being about OZ but I never heard about the ending scene being the throne room. Is there a site that explains what happened in detail? This interest me. If the ending was the throne room, was there ever any original plans of have a movie montage ending? I assume not, but the way it is now is the perfect closing to "the great movie ride" whereas the throne room ending wouldn't be.

The story as I've read it, you'd enter the Wizard's throne room, though there'd be a wall down the middle of it so each set of cars would have its own room. The scary Oz would greet you, and then somehow a curtain would be pulled aside to reveal the "real" wizard who turned out to be the Gangster/Bandit that hijacked you earlier and disappeared in the Annubis scene. Then a curtain would rise up on the side of the room and replicas of all of the major AA's from the attraction would be there to take a final bow with the Gangster/Bandit.

I can't recall if it was an Al Lutz or a Jim Hill article I read that in. (Probably Jim Hill)

-Rob

the-reason14

The story as I've read it, you'd enter the Wizard's throne room, though there'd be a wall down the middle of it so each set of cars would have its own room. The scary Oz would greet you, and then somehow a curtain would be pulled aside to reveal the "real" wizard who turned out to be the Gangster/Bandit that hijacked you earlier and disappeared in the Annubis scene. Then a curtain would rise up on the side of the room and replicas of all of the major AA's from the attraction would be there to take a final bow with the Gangster/Bandit.

I can't recall if it was an Al Lutz or a Jim Hill article I read that in. (Probably Jim Hill)

-Rob

Oh wow that would have been nice. So it was a copyright issue as to why they couldn't do this? They were already constructing it when they ran "into a wall?"

roj2323

Any update on the photo op area by the exit? It's been under a construction for a while so it should be almost done at this point I would think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom