Swimming in the World Showcase Promenade

ABQ

The difference isn't obvious? This is not rain, this is people standing in what appears to be a good several inches of rain. My initial reaction would be that Disney hasn't built the proper infrastructure to handle such a sudden downpour.

Maybe that isn't even realistic, but there is a difference between rain and thunder, things Disney cannot control, and a theme park not designed to handle Florida weather.
There is also a difference between once a year or even once a decade monsoons lasting days. From all accounts, rain had been off an on heavy for a few days and then really blasted the area hard that evening. I've been to WDW during many heavy rain days, the parks handle water rather well, outside that area near the carousel in Fantasy land. Even though it's a high spot in the MK, lots of standing water. Still, it needs time to recede in any area, but the daily rains add up and this was an anomaly.

allgiggles

The difference isn't obvious? This is not rain, this is people standing in what appears to be a good several inches of rain. My initial reaction would be that Disney hasn't built the proper infrastructure to handle such a sudden downpour.

Maybe that isn't even realistic, but there is a difference between rain and thunder, things Disney cannot control, and a theme park not designed to handle Florida eather.

No, I guess it isn't obvious -- the pool of water was caused by a heavy downpour of rain. How is that different than....rain? I guess I don't understand how *this* downpour and *this* puddle/pool are different than any other downpours that have created flooding and puddles/pools since Disney started building. Was there something special about this one?????? As others have mentioned, this isn't the first time it's happened. Disney has certainly experienced thousands of sudden downpours since it was built. I think they built their parks to handle the type of rain that Central Florida gets 95% of the time. So on those rare occasions that they get the unusually heavy and/or long downpour, their system can't handle it. I don't think this is anything new.

And yes, I understand thunder is different than rain...as is lightning. I was just using that as another example of guests being inconvenienced in a more dangerous situation than a pool of water that they can choose not to walk though. And no compensation was offered or expected.

Wendy Pleakley

No, I guess it isn't obvious -- the pool of water was caused by a heavy downpour of rain. How is that different than....rain? I guess I don't understand how *this* downpour and *this* puddle/pool are different than any other downpours that have created flooding and puddles/pools since Disney started building. Was there something special about this one?????? As others have mentioned, this isn't the first time it's happened. Disney has certainly experienced thousands of sudden downpours since it was built. I think they built their parks to handle the type of rain that Central Florida gets 95% of the time. So on those rare occasions that they get the unusually heavy and/or long downpour, their system can't handle it. I don't think this is anything new.

And yes, I understand thunder is different than rain...as is lightning. I was just using that as another example of guests being inconvenienced in a more dangerous situation than a pool of water that they can choose not to walk though. And no compensation was offered or expected.

You keep bringing up rain and lightning as an example of a situation where no compensation was offered. What is your point? Has anyone ever suggested Disney compensate guests due to nature beyond their control? A pool of water, that isn't draining, causing major inconvenience, is not the same thing.

I experienced water leaking from the ceiling in the French restaurant, and that was during a rainfall which I would describe as typical and expected. I'm not convinced Disney is adequately prepared for the weather.

Perhaps this instance was above and beyond what they should reasonably prepare for, I really can't say for sure. Either way, it's unexpected and different than "just rain".

allgiggles

You keep bringing up rain and lightning as an example of a situation where no compensation was offered. What is your point? Has anyone ever suggested Disney compensate guests due to nature beyond their control? A pool of water, that isn't draining, causing major inconvenience, is not the same thing.

I experienced water leaking from the ceiling in the French restaurant, and that was during a rainfall which I would describe as typical and expected. I'm not convinced Disney is adequately prepared for the weather.

Perhaps this instance was above and beyond what they should reasonably prepare for, I really can't say for sure. Either way, it's unexpected and different than "just rain".

No, I'm not saying Disney should offer compensation for heavy rain and lightning. I used the lightning as an example of...never mind, I've already explained that. As far as anyone ever suggesting that Disney compensate guests due to nature beyond their control...read this thread...it's definitely been mentioned. And the inconvenience I've been referring to has been the huge deep pools of water created by improper drainage at Disney...not the rain itself. Just the after effects of the torrential downpours. My point is that this is not something new. We've experienced it nearly every trip we've taken in June since 2001. But apparently you don't feel that I (or most anyone else) was inconvenienced by those pools of improperly draining water in the past...only the people who were there when it happened earlier this week. That's fine. I wasn't looking for sympathy...just sharing my experience. I'm not sure why you keep trying to start an argument. I pointed out that we've experienced this same kind of flooding caused by torrential downpours numerous times but apparently since I can't prove it with pictures or videos, it didn't happen. No big deal.

I'm finished with this discussion. If I want to have a pointless discussion/argument with someone, I'll just go find a toddler or a teenager.

Wendy Pleakley

No, I'm not saying Disney should offer compensation for heavy rain and lightning. I used the lightning as an example of...never mind, I've already explained that. As far as anyone ever suggesting that Disney compensate guests due to nature beyond their control...read this thread...it's definitely been mentioned. And the inconvenience I've been referring to has been the huge deep pools of water created by improper drainage at Disney...not the rain itself. Just the after effects of the torrential downpours. My point is that this is not something new. We've experienced it nearly every trip we've taken in June since 2001. But apparently you don't feel that I (or most anyone else) was inconvenienced by those pools of improperly draining water in the past...only the people who were there when it happened earlier this week. That's fine. I wasn't looking for sympathy...just sharing my experience. I'm not sure why you keep trying to start an argument. I pointed out that we've experienced this same kind of flooding caused by torrential downpours numerous times but apparently since I can't prove it with pictures or videos, it didn't happen. No big deal.

I'm finished with this discussion. If I want to have a pointless discussion/argument with someone, I'll just go find a toddler or a teenager.

Ooh, you've stooped to the personal attacks. Toddler indeed.

Please point out where I said no one has been inconvenienced by similar occurrences in the past, or claimed they never happened? We're talking about this specific incident.

If this kind of flooding has happened in the past, it begs the question, should more be done to stop it from happening now?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If this kind of flooding has happened in the past, it begs the question, should more be done to stop it from happening now?
That has already been answered as well. Companies and governments build to the 95% solution. This situation doesn't happen all the time, and their drainage normally handles it. When you get multiple days of rain, and then a complete deluge, then no system can be built to withstand that. If Disney were to try to fix it, it would require pretty much shutting down WS for a year, and probably half a billion dollars for something that might not be that bad again for several years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That has already been answered as well. Companies and governments build to the 95% solution. This situation doesn't happen all the time, and their drainage normally handles it. When you get multiple days of rain, and then a complete deluge, then no system can be built to withstand that. If Disney were to try to fix it, it would require pretty much shutting down WS for a year, and probably half a billion dollars for something that might not be that bad again for several years.

How many other portions of the parks experience this kind of flooding on this day.. anyone know?

The argument of 'this is normal' for extreme rain infers everywhere is vulnerable to this under that kind of load.

So were all the usual flooding spots this bad... or is this truly a case of a specific area not performing as intended?

We all know short term flooding happens in the parks... that's not what made this thread worthy of interest. It was the degree of flooding.

DABIGCHEEZ

Let me be clear - I did not, even for a second, think that Disney owed me something because it was raining. I was more concerned with the fact that one of my vacation nights was ruined by the weather. Now if, on the way out of Epcot, Disney was handing out coupons for 20% off on lunch, or a discount on merch, or something nice like that in compensation for my bad time, I'd be thinking "Hmmm, that Disney company sure does it right!"
You are clearly thinking of the kind of company Disney used to be years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom