Swimming in the World Showcase Promenade

jhastings74

I believe those arguing with you are unfamiliar with the term "gesture", "opportunity", and the idea of "good PR". I totally hear, and agree with all you've said. It's not that you're complaining that Disney didn't doing something for these guests... it's that they missed the opportunity to do something nice for the people who have kept Epcot in business. I think that PR move would have not only have been a nice thing to do, but "good business" in that it would increase their bottom dollar because these people would want to keep coming back even more.
Thank you. That summarizes exactly what I was saying. :)

PinnySmart

As a customer-friendly gesture of saying, "Sorry your entire family is now wading through water and we recognize that to be a bit un-magical. We know that you probably expect rain, but you probably weren't expecting this." If I ran ANY business, and customers had to walk around in ankle-deep water in an area that they would normally expect to NOT be flooded, it is what I would do. And please note that I said a free day or anything...even a 'Dream FastPass' type of thing. Just wondering if they acknowledged the less-than-ideal situation the guests at their park were in.
Why does everyone think that every time something happens at WDW that it warrants a free ticket or some kind of award?

allgiggles

Why does everyone think that every time something happens at WDW that it warrants a free ticket or some kind of award?
Exactly. We were at Disney during what we affectionately refer to as "Monsoon Week" in May 2009. We had hours and hours of torrential downpours every day. More than 12" of rain fell during the week we were there. Central FL had more rain that week than they did with the 3 hurricanes combined a few years prior to that. We walked through ankle-deep water in many places both at the resort and in the parks that week. I think Epcot was the worst. I remember walking through some seriously deep water in various areas of the park. One day when we took the monorail to MK, the water was so deep at the bottom of the station ramp that no one wanted to walk down. The CM's were basically forcing everyone down the ramp because there was nowhere for people to go when they exited the monorail because everyone was bunched up at the top of the ramp. The water at the bottom of the ramp was at least 7-8" deep -- well above our ankles. It never once occurred to us to ask for any type of compensation for having to walk through ponds of water to get anywhere that week. It rained. A lot. Water backed up and formed ponds/lakes because there was just nowhere for it to go. No one's fault. No compensation needed.

mf1972

on the last day of our trip last October in Epcot, it poured all morning till early afternoon. later on, the sun came out & it was warm again.
partially put a damper in our day, but we made the most of it & enjoyed it.
I didn't feel any compensation was needed for an act of nature. turned out to be a nice day.
about 9-10 years ago, we were there during a hurricane. when it was over, the parks opened for resort guests only. I didn't expect, but that was a very nice gesture on their behalf.

DABIGCHEEZ

I've been in Epcot when the rain was coming down so hard that you couldn't even see the Earth Globe in the center of the lagoon, and the show went on anyway. Since there are no live performers, the show can run no matter how hard it's raining.
WOW... you watched it in the rain? What kind of token of good customer service did Disney provide to you for your suffering that night?

DABIGCHEEZ

Exactly. We were at Disney during what we affectionately refer to as "Monsoon Week" in May 2009. We had hours and hours of torrential downpours every day. More than 12" of rain fell during the week we were there. Central FL had more rain that week than they did with the 3 hurricanes combined a few years prior to that. We walked through ankle-deep water in many places both at the resort and in the parks that week. I think Epcot was the worst. I remember walking through some seriously deep water in various areas of the park. One day when we took the monorail to MK, the water was so deep at the bottom of the station ramp that no one wanted to walk down. The CM's were basically forcing everyone down the ramp because there was nowhere for people to go when they exited the monorail because everyone was bunched up at the top of the ramp. The water at the bottom of the ramp was at least 7-8" deep -- well above our ankles. It never once occurred to us to ask for any type of compensation for having to walk through ponds of water to get anywhere that week. It rained. A lot. Water backed up and formed ponds/lakes because there was just nowhere for it to go. No one's fault. No compensation needed.
Well clearly you missed your chance to really cash in on the freebies!

DABIGCHEEZ

on the last day of our trip last October in Epcot, it poured all morning till early afternoon. later on, the sun came out & it was warm again.
partially put a damper in our day, but we made the most of it & enjoyed it.
I didn't feel any compensation was needed for an act of nature. turned out to be a nice day.
about 9-10 years ago, we were there during a hurricane. when it was over, the parks opened for resort guests only. I didn't expect, but that was a very nice gesture on their behalf.
We were there as well for a Hurricane but forget which one it was though. I remember the parks being closed for at least one full day and I think another 1/2 day because of the landscape damage, but the pools were open at the hotel (OKW)once storm had passed... we had to make the best of it somehow. I remember them also having some characters go to some of the hotels... some fairly rare ones at the time too.

Man, I wish I knew then that Disney could've controlled the weather... we would've really made out great!;)

mf1972

We were there as well for a Hurricane but forget which one it was though. I remember the parks being closed for at least one full day and I think another 1/2 day because of the landscape damage, but the pools were open at the hotel (OKW)once storm had passed... we had to make the best of it somehow. I remember them also having some characters go to some of the hotels... some fairly rare ones at the time too.

Man, I wish I knew then that Disney could've controlled the weather... we would've really made out great!;)
the hurricane we sat through wasn't that bad. think they opened the parks around 3-4pm.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well before... when it was a gesture of customer service and it was OFFERED... it was representative of the great lengths Disney used to go to ensure guests had a memorable stay and left with the greatest impression.

Now, it's not something offered, its something people believe they are ENTITLED TO and the entire attitude and posture of the thing changes.

Mickey5150

Whoa...thanks for the pics. That's pretty wild. I wonder if the company gave people a free day or anything to make up for the situation.
Wow, I'm sorry for so many people on here being an to you just because you wondered if Disney compensated people for their experience at the park. Disney didn't have to do anything but as you make the perfect point that doing even the smallest gesture can go a long way in keeping your customers.

danyoung

WOW... you watched it in the rain? What kind of token of good customer service did Disney provide to you for your suffering that night?

Let me be clear - I did not, even for a second, think that Disney owed me something because it was raining. I was more concerned with the fact that one of my vacation nights was ruined by the weather. Now if, on the way out of Epcot, Disney was handing out coupons for 20% off on lunch, or a discount on merch, or something nice like that in compensation for my bad time, I'd be thinking "Hmmm, that Disney company sure does it right!"

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Let me be clear - I did not, even for a second, think that Disney owed me something because it was raining. I was more concerned with the fact that one of my vacation nights was ruined by the weather. Now if, on the way out of Epcot, Disney was handing out coupons for 20% off on lunch, or a discount on merch, or something nice like that in compensation for my bad time, I'd be thinking "Hmmm, that Disney company sure does it right!"

The internet ruined that. Now, let's say Disney does something like that. Momslovedisney@instagram or whatever posts about it, then it gets shared 2200 times, and all of a sudden Disney is expected to hand out coupons because it rained.

SAV

Several years ago we were back by the America pavilion and a massive downpour started. We poncho'd up and started walking. I even grabbed a funnel cake from the little stand because I could tell it was going to be a long one. By the time we got half way to Japan, everything was flooded. So we found a spot under the overhang and ate the funnel cake. Then decided to browse the Japan shops and watch the pick a pearl. Finished that and came out to water everywhere. I thought it was cool and it never crossed my mind to try and get anything from them for it.

It rained, there was water, it drained, we went on with our trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom