Swimming in the World Showcase Promenade

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
World Showcase turned into a swimming pool last night. Chaos at around 9pm as people were wading through ankle to knee deep water.

Some guests were even lifting double strollers over railings and across planters to escape the water.
IMG_7189.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

jhastings74

Why would they do that?
As a customer-friendly gesture of saying, "Sorry your entire family is now wading through water and we recognize that to be a bit un-magical. We know that you probably expect rain, but you probably weren't expecting this." If I ran ANY business, and customers had to walk around in ankle-deep water in an area that they would normally expect to NOT be flooded, it is what I would do. And please note that I said a free day or anything...even a 'Dream FastPass' type of thing. Just wondering if they acknowledged the less-than-ideal situation the guests at their park were in.

epcotisbest

As a customer-friendly gesture of saying, "Sorry your entire family is now wading through water and we recognize that to be a bit un-magical. We know that you probably expect rain, but you probably weren't expecting this." If I ran ANY business, and customers had to walk around in ankle-deep water in an area that they would normally expect to NOT be flooded, it is what I would do. And please note that I said a free day or anything...even a 'Dream FastPass' type of thing. Just wondering if they acknowledged the less-than-ideal situation the guests at their park were in.
It was a thunderstorm. A heavy downpour.

jhastings74

It was a thunderstorm. A heavy downpour.
...that I would expect a theme park in Central Florida that has been there for 30+ years to have addressed after multiple hurricanes, heavy downpours, etc...

Listen. I understand that they have their disclaimers and cannot control the forces of nature. I was simply saying that regardless of what the CAUSE of the issue was, they had an opportunity to respond in a guest-friendly way and get some good PR at the same time.

epcotisbest

...that I would expect a theme park in Central Florida that has been there for 30+ years to have addressed after multiple hurricanes, heavy downpours, etc...

Listen. I understand that they have their disclaimers and cannot control the forces of nature. I was simply saying that regardless of what the CAUSE of the issue was, they had an opportunity to respond in a guest-friendly way and get some good PR at the same time.
Hope you have a happy, rain-free day.

ABQ

I have paid lots more than the cost of a day's admission to Epcot to sit in soaking wet and cold conditions and watch the darn Red Sox lose at Fenway, but stinking John Henry never offered me anything for my trouble or even thanks for the silly ticket costs. Never going to a game in April again.

jhastings74

I have paid lots more than the cost of a day's admission to Epcot to sit in soaking wet and cold conditions and watch the darn Red Sox lose at Fenway, but stinking John Henry never offered me anything for my trouble or even thanks for the silly ticket costs. Never going to a game in April again.
I grew up in New England and was a die-hard Sox fan, going 2-3 times a year. And you bring up a good point: It would be reasonable for me to expect rain, since it averages 13 days of rain there ("April showers" and all...). I have seen it snow in April multiple times. Average high temps are around 55 and lows around 40 (source: http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/boston/massachusetts/united-states/usma0046) When I buy a ticket to an outdoor event in Boston in April...I know there is a good chance I may be cold and get wet. What I'm saying is that it is not reasonable for a guest to assume they will be wading through water, regardless of how much or little they paid to be wherever they are at...even if it's the local McDonald's. I was simply expressing my opinion that WDW could have turned this into a 'Magical Moment' situation and responded in a guest-friendly way.

jaklgreen

I don't know where you live, but it rains where I live and this can happen anywhere when there is a heavy downpour. Should I ask for compensation from the city I live in if there is standing water for me to walk through during a downpour? The whole world does not owe you when something happens. It's rain, you will get wet.

jhastings74

I don't know where you live, but it rains where I live and this can happen anywhere when there is a heavy downpour. Should I ask for compensation from the city I live in if there is standing water for me to walk through during a downpour? The whole world does not owe you when something happens. It's rain, you will get wet.
If there is ankle-deep water on a sidewalk, or other area that is provided for people to walk on, and as a taxpayer, I would certainly want them to address the issue so that it did not occur again.

Seriously. I'm not trying to rally the torches and pitchforks. And everyone clearly has their own views, which I can totally respect. So to sum up...again...my point is that the company had an opportunity to make a crummy situation a little better for their guests, which is what we were trained as Cast Members to do (why we walked around with Golden Tickets, etc.). If a kid drops his ice cream, we could give him a ticket for another. But I guess some would say, "Too bad for him. It was his own fault. The company does not owe him another ice cream."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom