SWAGS new effects and other things

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
The DHS night show Star Wars a Galactic Spectacular has had some additions and some changes. New this month now they're up and running are more flame effects to the left and right of the GMR facade (on the main GMR ride building and the right PA Tower / Mermaid area)

There is also some new laser programming (look out for the death star beam) and some new sound bites too.

You may also note there's a distinct reduction in high level pyro. I can't go into reasons but it does give the show a different edge. The new flame effects certainly seem to bring the show into the round more and less off axis.

It's safe to say the park will have a night show around the hub for a long time to come.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I saw SWAGS last on June 4th and that night there were almost no fireworks in the distance ... only close ones coming from within the park and a handful far away ones, but not nearly as many as normal. I've seen the show several times and that time was pretty bad and underwhelming. I figured that they must have had a technical problem and I felt bad for all the guests around us who were seeing it for the first time. I hope it wasn't this new 'reduction in high level pyro'. Could this have been the case already on June 4th or might there just have been a problem that night?

PizzaPlanet

I'm looking forward to seeing this show at some point in the future. Does anyone know if it is possible to see this and Fantasmic?

Disone

I saw SWAGS last on June 4th and that night there were almost no fireworks in the distance ... only close ones coming from within the park and a handful far away ones, but not nearly as many as normal. I've seen the show several times and that time was pretty bad and underwhelming. I figured that they must have had a technical problem and I felt bad for all the guests around us who were seeing it for the first time. I hope it wasn't this new 'reduction in high level pyro'. Could this have been the case already on June 4th or might there just have been a problem that night?
I was there June 9th and thought the exact same thing "wow, there is a lot less fireworks". Basically the only had the big ones at the very beginning and the grand finale. I did notice the new surrounding flames on both sides, but was not impressed. To me, SWAGS has become a projection show with fireworks and HEA is now the Fireworks show with projections. That said, I like the Projections in HEA better.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I was there June 9th and thought the exact same thing "wow, there is a lot less fireworks". Basically the only had the big ones at the very beginning and the grand finale. I did notice the new surrounding flames on both sides, but was not impressed. To me, SWAGS has become a projection show with fireworks and HEA is now the Fireworks show with projections. That said, I like the Projections in HEA better.

On the 4th there was no grand finale at all. If I remember correctly there were just 4 or 5 ones that went up and that was it. There must have been a technical problem that night.

NearTheEars

The DHS night show Star Wars a Galactic Spectacular has had some additions and some changes. New this month now they're up and running are more flame effects to the left and right of the GMR facade (on the main GMR ride building and the right PA Tower / Mermaid area)

There is also some new laser programming (look out for the death star beam) and some new sound bites too.

You may also note there's a distinct reduction in high level pyro. I can't go into reasons but it does give the show a different edge. The new flame effects certainly seem to bring the show into the round more and less off axis.

It's safe to say the park will have a night show around the hub for a long time to come.

Any chance they would be able to improve the smoke screen effect that Yoda is projected on atop the theater? The three times that I've seen the show, Yoda's had half a head.

Last edited:

Creathir

I'm guessing this has something to do with the falling debris on World Drive and the surrounding forest fires I've heard they have to put out consistently.
I'd bet you are right.

The central Florida area is currently in a small drought as well, with conditions being abnormally dry for this time of year.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?FL

My guess is they do not have the fire suppression infrastructure in place in the area surrounding the launch area so they are minimizing their exposure as much as possible.

It also has the added benefit of saving a few bucks on some shells...

Once the summer rains get in full swing, I'd bet they return to a more normal show.

ToTBellHop

I'd bet you are right.

The central Florida area is currently in a small drought as well, with conditions being abnormally dry for this time of year.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?FL

My guess is they do not have the fire suppression infrastructure in place in the area surrounding the launch area so they are minimizing their exposure as much as possible.

It also has the added benefit of saving a few bucks on some shells...

Once the summer rains get in full swing, I'd bet they return to a more normal show.
The drought is over and the "moderate dryness" is over approximately now.

FullSailDan

Try this one

It pains me to be down on this, but the slow degradation of this show makes my heart heavy. The original fireworks show was insane, when the new laser show debuted I missed it but learned to appreciate it. But over time I've really seen as some of the firework "moments" became less intense and now... this. I get it though, they need to find a way to operate this show when they keep SW land and TS land open at night and I'm guessing the fireworks currently present challenges with that. Also wondering if they want to press the timeline on the construction which means late night work back there, and not a clear zone.

Hooray for HEA at MK, just miss being able to get in and out of the park quickly for fireworks a few nights a week!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom