Sum of All Thrills Returning?

montyz81

Not that I could go, but I guess it is better off not seeing it in such a state as a last memory! I'll rely on the videos to take me back instead.

Bender123

Not that I could go, but I guess it is better off not seeing it in such a state as a last memory! I'll rely on the videos to take me back instead.

Even the rides not closing were looking iffy...I hope there is a bunch of unannounced refurbs for the remaining rides as Epcot, with the exception of Soarin, SE and TT...

JIYI had one of the screens, where talks to you right as the ride starts, with visible video tearing in the projected image, for over a week, in addition to other issues...sink/toilet effect not working in upside house, Figment Diorama at finale side walls did not rise, so you could see the sides of the diorama before the "explosion" and various other nitpicks that used to be addressed overnight. SE had non functioning speakers in the vehicle I was in on two separate rides, thank goodness I can quote the ride word for word.

Epcot is in rough shape overall.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I could have sworn that when running only the back vehicle it moved to the front spot in the wizard of oz scene. Is this no longer the case?
Yes it does typically do that. In recent days, weeks though, they have been running all cars, but not loading guests into the front section. So once at the Oz scene, all of the guests are at the back, and the front section is empty.

So it has been looking like this
DSC02007-1.jpg

CJR

Taking this back on topic, I see Sum of All Thrills reopening as nothing but a positive thing.

If it pulls in guests, it might encourage Disney to do something more with the current buildings instead of demolishing them. I don't believe there are any structural issues with these buildings so finding a way to use what's already there is a way better option, in my opinion.

peter11435

Yes it does typically do that. In recent days, weeks though, they have been running all cars, but not loading guests into the front section. So once at the Oz scene, all of the guests are at the back, and the front section is empty.

View attachment 221763
Very odd, especially since this would still require a cast member in the front vehicle. But I guess they can save on a cowboy.

WDWFREAK53

Because it's a soundstage :)

Oh I get it...but with all of the talk of sightlines, visible construction, and unfinished areas...this is a lot more "in your face" than Under the Sea. Most of the other scenes are fully themed but this one sticks out so much.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 221763
Awful. And this ruins the illusion that your driver is actually a driver.

One would think they'd want to go out on a high note out of respect for the fans, not limping along with us fans hoping Disney will just put the old girl out of her misery.

Kman101

Poor 'Under the Sea' gets all of the flak for the visible ceiling....look at this beloved attraction!

And yet I'm so involved in the ride at GMR I don't even bother to look up, yet on Mermaid it's hard not to.

I wanted to get to the parks this week, and planned to, but I have family who will be in Orlando next week so I put it off. Wanted to do GMR and Energy one last time but I said my goodbyes to GMR in May. Took lots of pictures and soaked the ride in. Maybe it's better this way ...

WDWFREAK53

Because it's a soundstage :)

But now that I think of it...it's not really supposed to be a soundstage...you enter a theater. You sit in theater seats and it takes you into the scenes of the movies. I guess it's all perspective if it's goal is to take you into the scenes of the movies (worlds of the movies) or take you into the soundstages where they are filming those scenes.

And yet I'm so involved in the ride at GMR I don't even bother to look up, yet on Mermaid it's hard not to..

This is what I was getting at. Sometimes leaving things exposed is ok if it's hardly ever going to be seen. In Under the Sea, your eyes are drawn up for certain animatronics which has you looking directly at the exposed warehouse structure. In GMR, your sightlines aren't drawn that way.

Bender123

View attachment 221763

That looks even worse than not having the cars there at all, which was pretty bad (if not actually pretty funny, on its own. I wonder if the control system on it is just in such bad shape that it is having problems going to "b" mode for just one car?

Matt7187

Awful. And this ruins the illusion that your driver is actually a driver.

One would think they'd want to go out on a high note out of respect for the fans, not limping along with us fans hoping Disney will just put the old girl out of her misery.
100% agree. I rode for the last time on Monday, and seeing an empty car in front of us was such a horrible last impression of my favorite ride in HS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom