Studio Backlot Tour to close for a near two month refurbishment in early 2014

Since1976

It would free up some attraction space if the tour were replaced with an exciting simulator version of all the sights and sounds. BACKLOT TOUR 2.0: RETURN TO RESIDENTIAL STREET (in 3D).

ExtinctJenn

I've gotta agree with many of the previous posts that a 2 month refurbishment to the backlot sure seems to fly in the face of the rumors that it's all going to be demolished to make way for a new land. Frankly (and this is new for me) I'm not sure I have a real strong opinion either way on this one. The backlot is a sad reminder of what Disney-MGM Studios was meant to be for me so removing it entirely (what's left of it that is) wouldn't necessarily be upsetting. That said, restoring back to some sort of life and giving it purpose again would/could be really fantastic. I'll keep my eye on what comes of this to say the least.

ToTBellHop

Well, I was talking about the "Carsland" that is rumored to open where the tour currently resides. You knew what I was talking about, you sly devil you.... :)
You'll be able to walk to Anaheim before it opens in the swamps.
bubba-gump-three-jpg.277698

gboiler1

I'm in agreement with most, either clear the space for something new or upgrade it for something amazing. For anyone that's enjoyed the Universal Hollywood Tour (I know that's a tough comparison because of the size and it's history) but it's hard to compare others.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
whylightbulb also said a major Tony Baxter designed e-ticket would be coming to MK and implied that a big WRE-esque project was being prepared for Frontierland very soon (I forget if it was the same rumor).

I'm pretty sure he is fed bogus information that is used to sniff out leakers.
Wrong coast.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only project of note that will be happening at Disneyland in the next 5 years will be the Star Wars redo of Tomorrowland.
Baxter was looking at a WRE / Thunder Mesa style and influenced attraction in the Big Thunder Ranch area of Disneyland. That's where the story originated.

This was along with an E ticket replacing their Innoventions building. The purchase of Lucasfilm stalled both proposals.

SirLink

Baxter was looking at a WRE / Thunder Mesa style and influenced attraction in the Big Thunder Ranch area of Disneyland. That's where the story originated.

This was along with an E ticket replacing their Innoventions building. The purchase of Lucasfilm stalled both proposals.

Was that the Iron Man thing or the Tron(simulator-ish thing where you could compete with others with)?

Kman101

I think it's a given Star Wars is happening in the parks, just a matter of which parks, and when they decide to announce anything. For all we know it could be two years from now. I doubt it will be two years but I'm sure it's not being held up because of lack of concept ideas or art.

doctornick

They don't need to demolish Backlot (yet...) to build in that side of the park. I'm hopeful, perhaps naively so, that they will add to Pixar Place in the short term by at least replacing Soundstage 1 or even the HISTK plot.

My ideal thought: Retheme the SoA to Monstropolis keeping the same layout (that would be an easy overlay and still allow for the Osborne Lights there). Move Laugh Floor from the MK to the relatively unused Premiere Theater (again, easy change and would free up the space in Tomorrowland for something that fits the theme better). They put in a Monsters Inc dark ride on the HISTK space (even a smaller simple ride like the existing one in DCA). You can even convert Studio Catering Co into "Harry Hausen's" for food (sushi).

Simultaneously, use Soundstage 1 for the rumored Cars dark ride that was being considered as part of Cars Land instead of RSR.

This can be done while allowing LMA/Backlot Tout to continue to function. I anticipate LMA and Backlot Tour to remain open and operating at least for a few more years, until some of Star Wars or other stuff gets built. Then they might focus on putting something in the back corner.

Hmm.... If the refurb were longer it would be more convincing. 2 months doesn't really give much time to change much, just spruce everything up again. I wish it were longer so they could change the whole experience, kinda like they did with test track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom