Studio Backlot Tour to close for a near two month refurbishment in early 2014

stevehousse

Why are they refurbing this awful ride??? I thought it was suppose to be going bye bye for either Pixar expansion or Star Wars??? WTH...

On a side note, I don't really mean to rip on the ride, buts it's absolute garbage now compared to what is was years ago...I like to almost call it my generations "imagination Pavillion" disaster ;) I loved the old ride and we don't go on it anymore since it's not like it used to be...

Why are they refurbing this awful ride??? I thought it was suppose to be going bye bye for either Pixar expansion or Star Wars??? WTH...

On a side note, I don't really mean to rip on the ride, buts it's absolute garbage now compared to what is was years ago...I like to almost call it my generations "imagination Pavillion" disaster ;) I loved the old ride and we don't go on it anymore since it's not like it used to be...

No one outside of the crazy forums refers to Imagination as a disaster.

MerlinTheGoat

No one outside of the crazy forums refers to Imagination as a disaster.
Hardly. Almost everyone (anyone who has any sort of standards of quality anyways) agrees that it's a horrid ride. It's hated inside and outside forums alike, and Disney knows full well how much people dislike it. The pavilion is now avoided like the plague by most savvy park goers (the few unfortunate people who ride it likely not knowing what they're in for don't ever seem happy about what they just had to experience). Even Michael Eisner (likely one of the people responsible for the original version being gutted in the first place) hated the redone version after riding it and quickly approved another redo-
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...isner-rides-journey-into-your-imagination.htm

Not to mention Tony Baxter's notorious hatred of it (he has told several Disney fans off camera that he detests the current version), and his massive "screw you current version of Imagination" presentation they did back at D23 this year (that the audience roared with applause at). It has recently been under consideration for another redo. Whether approved or not will remain to be seen, but they acknowledge a serious dislike of the ride or else they wouldn't bother even considering it.

WDWDad13

While many adults hate it, my 4yr old
Daughter loves it...the ride and the play areas following the ride. I know it's not like it used to be, but kids do still like it. Do I think it needs major TLC, yes, but it's not a bad as most people let on...it's just no where near as good as it used to be

Kman101

I have to admit that Imagination is not very impressive. I felt almost embarassed riding it and it's looked to be in bad shape for years. It can be a lot better. Is it the worst ride ever? No, that falls to Stitch, IMHO.

Kids like a lot of things. You can't base a ride off of what a 4 year old likes, at least Disney shouldn't. But they do. What happened to rides appealing to EVERYONE? Kids AND adults. Smart rides that everyone could appreciate. I don't often tout the 'nostalgia mind frame' but it's glaring. People like to tout 'what Walt would want' and he clearly wanted rides for the entire family to enjoy. Just sayin' ....

Even when I want to ride the Fantasyland rides it feels like I'm so out of place as a grown man trying to ride them. I know it's in my head, but still ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Remeber TS and ST down at the same time before ST opened when TS got the gates?

Those were dark times for DHS.

Honestly, this attraction cannot close for 2.5-3.5 years waiting for a new attraction/land to come in. Something will have to be put in first (2+ years for Star Wars Land) before it can close.

You make the error of assuming TDO CARES about the guest experience as long as WDW admissions > UNI admissions it's all good

Kman101

TDO has clearly proven they aren't very smart, so yeah, they will do whatever they want to. If it means all the E-tickets down, then it means them all down. As they all shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well."

That's what their mindframe seems like. All they want is money and it's obvious.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed. In fact, I'd argue that if Star Wars is a go (and will result in the loss of IJ stunt show and AIE) that Backlot Tour and LMA should stay for now until either the Star Wars attractions or something else (door coaster in soundstage 1?) opens. DHS already lacks attractions, you can't close down too many of the precious few it has without severely harming attendance and interest.

As long as WDW as a WHOLE has greater attendance than UNI, TDO does not care about guest experience I'd love to see how much holiday attendance drops when the Osborne Lights are not there in 2014. And listen to the TDO spin machine spool up. Perhaps Jennings Osborne can send them to Citywalk instead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree with the sentiment that this could close permantently and not reopen. One can only hope that they are gonna do something back there...now's the time to start breaking ground on an expansion and they can close it and start ripping it apart.

Nah TDO will simply close it with NOTHING to replace it.

ExtinctJenn

Also, the beginning part with the Pearl Harbor recreation might be getting a tweak.
This sort of hit me yesterday that they may be changing the "preshow" as part of this. I'd also suspect there is a chance they are changing out the end building costumes/props (in addition to what I would assume is general refurbishment/cleanup of catastrophe canyon).

Figments Friend

Well...if the Backlot Tour is to stay for a little while longer, a refurb makes sense.
It makes sense to keep it operating so that when the proposed big changes begin to happen and construction starts closing areas.
The more attractions they can keep open during that transitional period the better, capacity wise...as well as semi-entertainment wise.

There has been a lot of talk about all the big changes coming to DHS in the future.
This may just be a routine refurb in preparation for that last run before Backlot finally bites the dust.

Regarding the Baxter project talked about earlier....yeah, that was slated for DL.
Poor Tony has not been 'allowed' to do anything with the East Coast Parks for ages.
There has been talk from reliable sources that he is however advising on the upcoming re-do of the Imagination Pavilion.
This can only be a good thing...

ToTBellHop

As long as WDW as a WHOLE has greater attendance than UNI, TDO does not care about guest experience I'd love to see how much holiday attendance drops when the Osborne Lights are not there in 2014. And listen to the TDO spin machine spool up. Perhaps Jennings Osborne can send them to Citywalk instead.
They will still be shown in 2014.

Any Jennings Osborne isn't doing anything right now other than perhaps welcoming people to the Pearly Gates Spectacle of White Lights...

Dads 2 Boys

Need to change a lot to make it worth the 45-60 minutes it takes total (with the wait) for us. That's precious time for other things. Make it somewhat more current and show how technology is used or kids aren't going to give a crap.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They will still be shown in 2014.

Any Jennings Osborne isn't doing anything right now other than perhaps welcoming people to the Pearly Gates Spectacle of White Lights...

Guess you missed the TDO announcement that the Osborne Lights have been discontinued as of 2014, And I missed the announcement that Jennings Osborne had passed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom