Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Ignohippo

Betcha there's a water planet in the new Star Wars movie. You could have one side of the lake being Tatooine market, but with high walls so you don't see the water, then the other the thing from the new movie, so the lake stays as a drainage feature, but is still Star Warsd.

That's a serious stretch.

Ignohippo

I asked that same question several pages back on this thread and was told that the Disney fiscal year closes out Sept 30th, so budget wise they had to do it now. I don't agree. I think it was a dumb decision in light of the heavy holiday crowds coming up in a few weeks. You could easily have a budget that accounts for the finances needed to operate a ride for four months, then close it mid-January when the crowds slow down. Instead, we now have a large chunk of an already dying park closed and left to rot with no announced planned replacement.....

I would agree except that with the brain trust that was out there last Thursday, that would lead me to believe they're going to be starting very soon. The timing is too much of a coincidence.

Mike S

Won't be until next year. They need the capacity.
Oh I know. Just saying it needs to close before serious work starts unless they could just work around it until the time comes to close it. I still think it's weird BLT closed so soon. They should have both closed at the same time imo.

Ignohippo

The only thing Disney does do fast is sign removal. The signs were removed and/or painted over by park open today. No walls were up but a CM stood in the entranceway to make sure people didn't go in according to Twitter.

Unless it's Pleasure Island, which oddly still has some signage up in places (even this many years later).

Beholder

Close the whole place, refurb what needs refurbishing, paint, replace, fix, do all the little things that need to be done. Build all the new attractions, open with the new name and a revised dedication and I believe the numbers would be phenomenal. Maybe throw in a surprise or two. I realize that will NOT happen, but the way I see it, there isn't much there to miss anyway. ToT, RnR and ST. Maybe Indiana.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Close the whole place, refurb what needs refurbishing, paint, replace, fix, do all the little things that need to be done. Build all the new attractions, open with the new name and a revised dedication and I believe the numbers would be phenomenal. Maybe throw in a surprise or two. I realize that will NOT happen, but the way I see it, there isn't much there to miss anyway. ToT, RnR and ST. Maybe Indiana.

They could even make it the excuse not to raise prices on their 6m cadence :)

CDavid

Nothing beautiful about Orlando.

I get your point, but there is certainly a "Florida tropical" look and feel to central Florida that you don't get a bit farther north, and it holds a certain appeal, particularly for the visiting tourist from more northerly locations.

New guide maps for Hollywood Studios go out today and Backlot Tour is still listed (Times Guides, however, clarify that it's "permanently closed"). Anyone know what that's about? The day after AIE closed, the maps removed any mention of it.

I'd imagine this suggests a fairly recent decision, made after the maps were designed and/or printed (a 'times guide' being more quickly updated)? That's potentially interesting. The American Idol closure must have been planned (or at least communicated internally) farther in advance to have new maps ready.

Won't be until next year. They need the capacity.

Capacity is likely going to be an issue already with two people eating attractions closed, and while they do indeed need the capacity of Lights Motors Action, if it does close sometime next year they're going to lose that capacity anyway because nothing new can possibly be open by then. This is a serious matter for a park which already suffered from simply having too-few things for guests to do; Guests literally aren't going to be missing much if they skip Hollywood Studios in favor of an off-site park.

Macca250

New guide maps for Hollywood Studios go out today and Backlot Tour is still listed (Times Guides, however, clarify that it's "permanently closed"). Anyone know what that's about? The day after AIE closed, the maps removed any mention of it.
Weirdly, MyDisneyExperience is listing it as open and with a 10 minute wait. They may have removed the signage but I bet its causing some confusion for the average guest.
IMG_0647.jpg

Macca250

Any chance you have an old version of the app? Mine has no mention of Backlot Tour (but still has Oaken in the wrong location).
Just checked and no I've got the latest version. Although I am using it from the UK, but I'm not sure that would make any difference?
Since it specified "Streets of America" that is probably what is currently the Backlot Tour.
And I think where it specifies "Streets of America" is because that's the 'land' where the attraction entrance is contained in? Rather than them trying to pass off the streets as the backlot tour (but hey, wouldn't put it past them!)

Regardless, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Perhaps it hasn't been updated across all devices or there's some other technical reason. I'll keep an eye on it and see when it updates, just thought it was worth pointing out.

Goofyernmost

Just checked and no I've got the latest version. Although I am using it from the UK, but I'm not sure that would make any difference?

And I think where it specifies "Streets of America" is because that's the 'land' where the attraction entrance is contained in? Rather than them trying to pass off the streets as the backlot tour (but hey, wouldn't put it past them!)

Regardless, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Perhaps it hasn't been updated across all devices or there's some other technical reason. I'll keep an eye on it and see when it updates, just thought it was worth pointing out.
I'm sure that there are a lot of people that they don't bother to tell what they are up too. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes..That was my point. I was replying to someone who said that the announcements about those DVC's weren't made until construction was almost finished, which was not true. Pre-sales were happening way before that..
Agreed. Construction had started before the official announcement, but it wasn't almost complete. GF was pretty soon after construction. BLT was a little further along.

Relating back to DHS I could see them starting to clear land with construction walls up before we have a formal announcement, but I don't think it will drag on too long. I'd be surprised if we don't have some official word by the end of the year. Not a lot of details, but some general announcement.

JediMasterMatt

Weirdly, MyDisneyExperience is listing it as open and with a 10 minute wait. They may have removed the signage but I bet its causing some confusion for the average guest.
View attachment 67277

You would think TDO is well versed in getting attractions removed from MyDisneyExperience, they've had LOTS of practice at it.

If you wanted to place bets, I would think they would mistakes at adding new attractions to it since it's so rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom