Straight from SaveDisney.com

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
No... no more shows...
European visitors need RIDES... Sensations!!! DLP will get a new Ride.

LOL you can say that again! The big thing apaprently for this year is Legend of the Lion King Show. DLP are actually advertising it in England on TV. Disney need to realise though, that people are not going to go to DLP to see a Lion King Show. The vast majority of people in England have already seen endless Lion King shows, parades etc in WDW, so another one appearing at DLP (nevermind how good it is), is not going to do the job attendance wise.

I am very glad DLP are finally getting the message we want RIDES, and BIG rides.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
And the studios? They opened too soon, it wasn't even half way finished...

It wasnt just a case of time though was it? It looks from the outside that it was a case of having the budget hacked so much, that in the end all WDI were left with was a few cookie cutter attractions, dropped onto a small amount of concrete land.

Tim G

wdwmagic said:
LOL you can say that again! The big thing apaprently for this year is Legend of the Lion King Show. DLP are actually advertising it in England on TV. Disney need to realise though, that people are not going to go to DLP to see a Lion King Show. The vast majority of people in England have already seen endless Lion King shows, parades etc in WDW, so another one appearing at DLP (nevermind how good it is), is not going to do the job attendance wise.
I am very glad DLP are finally getting the message we want RIDES, and BIG rides.
So??

They wanted rides, they'll get rides... one maybe bigger than the other...

and steve?? Try to forget DLP... And remember DLPR

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
It WILL be spend on the Studios...

Huh?!? TOT is not going to be out of place in the Studios

I'm not sure if this was what he meant, but I think he may have been referring to ToTs location. We have heard a lot about it being dropped into an already prepared area, pretty much smack in the middle of the park, just outside the exit of Studio 1. (La terrace area). It seems hard to imagine the Tower appearing there, as its height and size would just seem to dominate the area, and would seem to look quite odd. I could be totally wrong of course, and it may look great there, it may also not even be planned to go there. I personally could see ToT being very effective if installed properly, with a Sunset Blvd as at WDW, in a new expansion of the Studios. If however it gets dropped into that available slot in the centre, it will immediately be called a clone, and a poor immitation of WDWs, which will cancel out its purpose of being installed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
So??

They wanted rides, they'll get rides... one maybe bigger than the other...

and steve?? Try to forget DLP... And remember DLPR

Trust me I would love to remember dlpR, but at the moment there is no R. Its the MK plus some resorts. I know Disney are very keen to turn this into a multipark/multiday resort, but the Studios seems so far away from helping with that, its hard to imagine. The fact that Disney even thought when they opened the Studios they would get this (maybe they didnt), is mind boggling. It was so clear right from the announcement that this park as it stands would not make the place a multipark resort. To see how to make a single park a resort, we just have to look at Tokyo. Seas raised the bar in theme parks, and is without doubt a massive draw. Heck I would love to go to Tokyo just to see it. I cant imagine many people from Tokyo wanting to come to Paris to see the Studios. So how did Disney think that the Studios would deliver results in its current state?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to be addressed soon, and your comments are giving me positive vibes on the matter. :)

Tim G

wdwmagic said:
It wasnt just a case of time though was it? It looks from the outside that it was a case of having the budget hacked so much, that in the end all WDI were left with was a few cookie cutter attractions, dropped onto a small amount of concrete land.
That's called "spreadsheet strategy" (sigh)
And as I said before, they have to get used to duplicating their hit attractions for less money the second time around, outsource more, and use off-the-shelf technologies whenever possible. But that's old news...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
That's called "spreadsheet strategy" (sigh)
And as I said before, they have to get used to duplicating their hit attractions for less money the second time around, outsource more, and use off-the-shelf technologies whenever possible. But that's old news...

Yeah :(

Whats even more remarkable about the Studios though, is the way the cookie cutter versions actually came out worse than the originals! The RnR exterior is unbelievable, it has the visual appeal of a garden shed. The animation tour is such a butchered version of DCAs its again just mind-boggling that it happened.

I really feel for the WDI people that worked on that park, it must have been a scary experience.

Tim G

wdwmagic said:
Trust me I would love to remember dlpR, but at the moment there is no R. Its the MK plus some resorts. I know Disney are very keen to turn this into a multipark/multiday resort, but the Studios seems so far away from helping with that, its hard to imagine. The fact that Disney even thought when they opened the Studios they would get this (maybe they didnt), is mind boggling. It was so clear right from the announcement that this park as it stands would not make the place a multipark resort. To see how to make a single park a resort, we just have to look at Tokyo. Seas raised the bar in theme parks, and is without doubt a massive draw. Heck I would love to go to Tokyo just to see it. I cant imagine many people from Tokyo wanting to come to Paris to see the Studios.
I've been there... it's great, AND it's clean, And the Japanese DO love the magic and don't care much about thrills... and that's what we need, they are so different in culture... (but sometimes it was like walking on mars, honestly) :D

But don't forget, with DisneySea, the Imagineers were told to spare no expense, since the park's construction was being paid for by a partner, the Oriental Land Company.

It all ends up with money... which isn't really there, budget wise !!!
"Direct Lifts" are possible... But do we really want a second Hongkong??

If you're asking me? NO...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
But don't forget, with DisneySea, the Imagineers were told to spare no expense, since the park's construction was being paid for by a partner, the Oriental Land Company.

It all ends up with money... which isn't really there, budget wise !!!
"Direct Lifts" are possible... But do we really want a second Hongkong??

If you're asking me? NO...

Absolutely, and the spare no expense concept is paying off big time. The place is packed, and is gaining admiration worldwide. This make its all the more difficult for me to understand how Disney thought they could get away with the Studios. Tokyo has been a clear case of showing that quality always rises to the top, and anything less than that is going to look and fall short. The money people at Disney need to realise this.

jrriddle

Corrus said:
1.It WILL be spend on the Studios...

2.Huh?!? TOT is not going to be out of place in the Studios

3.Nope... most of the time it's too cold for water rides in Paris..

4.No... no more shows...
European visitors need RIDES... Sensations!!! DLP will get a new Ride.

1. That's too bad.

2. I did mean the placement, I also meant the fact that ToT is a very detailed building surrounded by (to quote another poster) a bunch of garden sheds.
The place is themed to look like a bunch of studio sound stages (again IMHO) a gaint detailed tower may look out of place.

3. Sorry, what I should have mentioned was that Mickeyfantastic at DLP Guidebook (he writes the F-Files over there Great Series) mentioned in a chat that WRE would be designed so that the splash effect at the end could be turned down or completly turned off for the winter months.

4. Yes, you have me there.

5. OW, what's with the harsh tone? I just stated my opinion. Not fact.

Tim G

jrriddle said:
OW, what's with the harsh tone? I just stated my opinion. Not fact.
I wasn't aware of my tone being harsh...
I never have a harsh tone (IMO)unless it's really needed...LOL

Anyway... If it sounded harsh to you? I didn't meant to sound it like that...

ogryn

wdwmagic said:

They are advertising it a lot... what I don't get though... it's going into the Hyperion isn't it? Festival of the Lion King in Discoveryland...hmm :zipit:

As for the ToT, I agree that it would agree that if it is put in the scrapland in the middle of the park(which has HTH logos on it), it would look completely out of place.

Someone has made a mock-up here: http://www.dlp-guidebook.de/images/Specials/F-Files/TowerOfTerror_Montage_wide02.jpg

djmatthews

Disney once again is being very short-sighted. Having been to Disneyland Resort Paris (although not the studios) it does have potential. Disneyland Park is beautiful, charming and magical - and in many ways is better than WDW.

I keep debating whether to go to DLP for a short break or not, but there is nothing to swing me to go. I got back from WDW April, there is nothing calling me in Paris - however, if there was another "E-Ticket" or two, I would be straight on the Euro Star there.

I have read, seen and heard a lot about the Studios - if a ToT was built, I still wouldn't be desperate to go, especially when I'm going (all being well) to Disneyland next year.

I have said it before; Disney needs to speculate to accumulate spending big money would attract big crowds. Disneyland Resort Paris makes money; it has just been in debt since day one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom