Straight from SaveDisney.com

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
"so guess what will be built as soon as possible? Why, another Tower of Terror, of course."

Your thoughts? I for one, hope this isn't true. The studios just can't handle large crowds.... We'll just have to wait and see what happens.....

*Here's where I found it.

cherrynegra

Sigh......when Eisner said he liked the SpraWal-Mart way of doing business, I guess he wasn't kidding. Next I expect them to start selling build your own Tower of Terror sets for your backyard.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The whole Paris sitatuion is a mess right now. Both parks are in desperate need of a big NEW eticket. Whilst the MK is stunning, it is offering nothing new for repeat visitors. More disturbing though is the lack of substance in the Studios. ToT would be the obvious quick fix attraction.... IF THIS WAS 10 YEARS AGO! Disney have to realise that so many people around the world have already experienced ToT in Orlando, and even though its an incredible attraction, a clone is not going to attract huge crowds to any new park that it is installed in.

The clear answer to DLP's attraction problems, is to build 2 major, unique ETicket attractions, one for each park. Use the creativity of WDI to build something new, incredible, and awe inspiring. I am talking something of the level of Indy when it opened at DL, or ToT at WDW, or Space Mountain at Paris. All of those attractions created HUGE buzz, and really did bring in huge volums of guests. People were prepared to travel from around the world to ride them. People are not going to travel around the world to ride "ANOTHER" version of ToT.

cherrynegra

wdwmagic said:
The whole Paris sitatuion is a mess right now. Both parks are in desperate need of a big NEW eticket. Whilst the MK is stunning, it is offering nothing new for repeat visitors. More disturbing though is the lack of substance in the Studios. ToT would be the obvious quick fix attraction.... IF THIS WAS 10 YEARS AGO! Disney have to realise that so many people around the world have already experienced ToT in Orlando, and even though its an incredible attraction, a clone is not going to attract huge crowds to any new park that it is installed in.

The clear answer to DLP's attraction problems, is to build 2 major, unique ETicket attractions, one for each park. Use the creativity of WDI to build something new, incredible, and awe inspiring. I am talking something of the level of Indy when it opened at DL, or ToT at WDW, or Space Mountain at Paris. All of those attractions created HUGE buzz, and really did bring in huge volums of guests. People were prepared to travel from around the world to ride them. People are not going to travel around the world to ride "ANOTHER" version of ToT.

Steve, you are so wise. I could not agree with you more. What is so wrong with giving each park its own unique set of attractions that set it apart from the others??

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:

I agree with you 100% Steve but I believe the studio needs all the help it can get. I say give it both E-tickets + an expansion land. That way the studio's image will hopefully be fixed and it will be able to control larger crowds! I only hope DLP will finally get back on track and will start acting like a normal theme park! (Wow, I sound like a mom :p )

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DisneyFan 2000 said:
I agree with you 100% Steve but I believe the studio needs all the help it can get. I say give it both E-tickets + an expansion land. That way the studio's image will hopefully be fixed and it will be able to control larger crowds! I only hope DLP will finally get back on track and will start acting like a normal theme park! (Wow, I sound like a mom :p )
I know what you mean about giving every to the Studios. But at the moment, I see the Studios as almost a lost cause that even 2 ETickets cant fix. My concern is that the MK may begin to suffer more so than it already hs (with lack of new attractions), which could result in the resort developing a reputation of 2 sub-standard parks.

I think MK at Paris easily has the capability of being the finest Disney park in the world, given a couple of significant new attractions. So I would like to see continued efforts made to that park also.

MotoDisney

Do any of you think it's worth making the trip over to DLP if you've never been? Obviously being only 30 minutes or so from Paris gives it a broader appeal I believe. We are thinking about making the trip next year over WDW as we have already been to DL. I know it's a bit off topic but thought any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
So what do you think needs to be done with the studio? If it's a lost cause that means nothing can be done, which is quite sad... :(

Figment1986

Hoa many attractions were on the old DLP future list, I wonder if some of the those unique concept are still in the valts... DLP could get a BATB or TLM attraction....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DisneyFan 2000 said:
So what do you think needs to be done with the studio? If it's a lost cause that means nothing can be done, which is quite sad... :(

I think the changes needed for the Studios are so large its almost out of reach. It is going to take something out-of-the ordinary to fix it. The park is lacking the basic elements of a park: space, water, shops, walkways, nevermind attractions. To me at the moment, that park is basically a "land" at any other park. It does not meet the requirements of being a standalone park.

Therefore to fix it, it will need expanding considerably, just in terms of space and walkways, and buildings. Then ontop of all that it needs 2 or more Etickets, and several DTickets, along with a night show.

The cost of all this is way out of the reach of the resort at the moment. So unless something major happens, I dont see it being fixed anytime soon. Its depressing I know, but thats the way I see it right now.

WeirdOne

I agree with Steve. Currently, the Studios are lacking so severely in major theme park elements, that they should focus their efforts on Disneyland Park. Land isn't a problem for Disneyland Paris, money is. I'm hoping that the Walt Disney Company should consider "debt forgiveness" allowing them to quite possibly THEN think about inserting a new attraction. I think they are seriously screwed if they don't do something new to that place. - The WeirdOne :D

cloudboy

I am completely unfamiliar with DLP, or Paris for that matter, so a few questions:

1) Who goes there? Yes, I know nobody, but seriously - does it draw mostly from France, from all over Europe, Britain?

2) How interested are these people in movie production anyway? I know that media tastes are radically different (Eurpoeans in general prefer a much more realistic, understated feel to the US whiz-bang). Does the studio theme make sense for them, or is it more the iea of Hollywood the place?

3) Do the French, or whoever is the large portion of visitors, go for shows more or rides? How patient are they for events and are they really as relaxed as we think and more apt to spend a long time at one place.

4) What else is there for competition? I know the country side and all, but what about other theme/amusement parks? I know of Port Aventura, and the several parks in Britain, and that Epcot Clone and indoor park in Germany. Are there more?

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Alright:

1. Don't be confused. The resort may be in bad shape financially but the MK is at times VERY busy. The reason the resort is in debt from day one is too many hotels that aren't occupied and now the WDS park is loosing money aswell. The main park is doing pretty good (Worse than usual but it still attracts plenty of visitors). Around 50% are French visitors, 40% are visitors from Europe (mainly from countries nearby and Britan) and 10% are from other destinations.

2. A studio theme can make sence to any country. Europeans also "didn't get" theme parks as much as the Americans but they still visited DLP. The only reason WDS is failing is because it isn't theme park standards (I'm not even talking Disney standards).

3. I remember DLP having a problem with lack of sit-down resturants. They dicovered that most French people like to take their time so I can guess that in general the French are more easy going and relaxed. :animwink:

4. I highly doubt Port Adventure is competition. Disney's main rivals are Asterix (located nearby). I believe all the neighbor's theme parks are rivals aswell. (SF Holland, Efteling, Alton Towers and more)

jrriddle

Not to sound like I'm jumping on the band wagon. But Steve is 100% right.
The money should be spent on the Magic Kingdom and not the studios.

Disneyland Paris is the main draw for the resort, not the studios. The money would better be invested there.

ToT would look out of place at Disney Studios, considering the lack of themeing at that park.

The best ideas (IMHO) would be Western Rivers Expedition, The Magic Lamp Theatre, Beauty & the Beat, and The Little Mermaid (as mentioned above). All 4 attractions. And please keep Stitch and Buzz out of Discoveryland.

cloudboy

Here's my interpretation. Mind you I havn't actually been there, so this is based purely upon pictures and descriptions. But it seems like the Studios is based a little too much on a working studio design, and not on Hollywood in general. And I don't think that the idea of production really strikes as much of a chord with Europeans as it does with Americans. So I might try two things. Either put a lot of effort into the stereotypical SoCal buildings and make it more of a place, with the movie theme more in the background, OR I would put a lot more effort into shows, both big and small. And I would probably make them a little more artsy than the ones over here. I would also put in more restaurants. Particularly American ideas, such as Italian-American (versus true Italian), a pizza joint, Tex-Mex type stuff.

It sounds like it needs a lot of "filler" material. Stuff that doesn't cost a fortune but which makes it seem like there is more going on. Do they have pushcarts and street performers? I think the Europeans would spend more time with things like that - and nice places to just sit and relax - than Americans do.

As far as the hotels go, the way to build up the business for them is to make it more of a long-term destination. The problem seems to me, anyway, is that they are stuck as being an adjacent attraction to Paris. They need to become more of a destination. And they need something totally, totally different that no-one in Europe has to offer.

Tim G

jrriddle said:

Disneyland Paris is the main draw for the resort, not the studios. The money would better be invested there.
It WILL be spend on the Studios...
ToT would look out of place at Disney Studios, considering the lack of themeing at that park.
Huh?!? TOT is not going to be out of place in the Studios
The best ideas (IMHO) would be Western Rivers Expedition,
Nope... most of the time it's too cold for water rides in Paris..
The Magic Lamp Theatre, Beauty & the Beast, and The Little Mermaid (as mentioned above). All 4 attractions. And please keep Stitch and Buzz out of Discoveryland.
No... no more shows...
European visitors need RIDES... Sensations!!! DLP will get a new Ride.

Tim G

jrriddle said:
Sorry, just a matter of vision..
WAS the main draw...
In france they're not talking about the Magic Kingdom..
That's why it was renamed to "Disneyland Paris Resort"
The best ideas (IMHO) would be Western River.
Sorry, but a water ride would only work for about 20 weeks a year
for the rest of the year is too cold...

And Port Aventura (Universal) is a competitor 1 new ride, every 2 years.
same as "Parc Asterix" is the most favorite park in france...
And don't forget the 8 6flag/Warner parks in france, germany, Holland.enc. etc.

The biggest problem is the mid-european climate.. (MKT was right) but Paris wanted a Disney park the chipped in a whole lot of money...

Made the ticket price too high by european standards...
Staffed bad CM's, in the 1st 5 years only 10% spoke english.
French are a littering people.. so the parks are far from clean, etc. etc...

And the studios? They opened too soon, it wasn't even half way finished...

Still DLPR still has a future... only by adding more new attractions...
Most europeans have nothing with "magic" only with thrill rides...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom