STK Orlando now offers brunch, including The Ultimate Brunch For Two

Otterhead

No, I have eaten at really good steakhouses. But where I live, they all serve their steak with at least 1 side. Like I said, I live in a steak and potato city and there are a lot of places to get a really good steak. So that to me, someplace like STK is not worth it.
I'm sorry that you're finding it difficult to understand that there's an entire category of restaurant that you were previously unfamiliar with. Many people here have tried to explain that it's standard practice for steakhouses such as STK, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc -- or other popular high end steakhouses on Disney property such as Shula's -- to serve side dishes a la carte. It's clear you're not understanding so I won't bother to keep trying to explain this simple concept.

elhefe4

I'm sorry that you're finding it difficult to understand that there's an entire category of restaurant that you were previously unfamiliar with. Many people here have tried to explain that it's standard practice for steakhouses such as STK, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc -- or other popular high end steakhouses on Disney property such as Shula's -- to serve side dishes a la carte. It's clear you're not understanding so I won't bother to keep trying to explain this simple concept.
Exactly. There's a huge difference between the "really good" steakhouses he's referring to and the "high-end" steakhouses you mention. They are truly in a whole different category but if you've never been to one of the high-end places, those prices and charging a la carte for sides seem pretty ridiculous when you're comparing it to a really good steakhouse.

jaklgreen

Oh I understand. I am saying that I don't know why people go there. I have been to plenty of "high end" restaurants and have eaten amazing food. But not once did I go somewhere where they just put 1 piece of meat on the plate and that was it. They do that not because their beef is so amazing that all you need is the steak. They do that now because they are getting away with it. It's all hype. 20 years ago they never would have gotten away with that.

elhefe4

Oh I understand. I am saying that I don't know why people go there. I have been to plenty of "high end" restaurants and have eaten amazing food. But not once did I go somewhere where they just put 1 piece of meat on the plate and that was it. They do that not because their beef is so amazing that all you need is the steak. They do that now because they are getting away with it. It's all hype. 20 years ago they never would have gotten away with that.
If you've never been to a place that charges extra for sides, you haven't been to a high-end steakhouse. I'm not arguing that it wasn't good, but there's a significant difference between the two.

jaklgreen

Exactly. There's a huge difference between the "really good" steakhouses he's referring to and the "high-end" steakhouses you mention. They are truly in a whole different category but if you've never been to one of the high-end places, those prices and charging a la carte for sides seem pretty ridiculous when you're comparing it to a really good steakhouse.

You can still serve and amazing steak but include a stupid baked potato with it. Not saying anything about the quality of the meat. Just that they have stopped giving you a side with it but are still charging the same.

jaklgreen

If you've never been to a place that charges extra for sides, you haven't been to a high-end steakhouse. I'm not arguing that it wasn't good, but there's a significant difference between the two.

Not all "high end" steak house are like that. Maybe where you live that is true. So you are telling me that what make it "good" and "high end" is the fact that they charge for sides separate? There is no possible way on the planet that a great quality steak house can serve their meat with a vegetable?

elhefe4

Not all "high end" steak house are like that. Maybe where you live that is true. So you are telling me that what make it "good" and "high end" is the fact that they charge for sides separate? There is no possible way on the planet that a great quality steak house can serve their meat with a vegetable?
No, you're misunderstanding me. Being "good" and "high-end" are two different things in this instance. Not saying that a "high-end" place can't be "good," but one of the hallmarks of a high-end place is that they don't include sides. Like other posters have mentioned, this includes places like Morton's or Ruths Chris, not your typical hometown steakhouse. While it might be good, which I'm not doubting, they are not in the same category.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Many reasons.... Where the beef is sourced... Grass Fed vs Corn.... How long dry aged or wet... Is it A5 Wagyu.... There are plenty of reason "high end' exist... And a typical local bar and grill DOES NOT have high end products... I'm sure some do but very very few do...
The other difference is that "good" steakhouses such as Outback and Saltgrass tenderize their meat using papaya, which really messes with some people's stomachs. The high end will only use dry/wet aged as you mentioned.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
@Hockey89 listed multiple reasons for the difference. It isn't just the charging for sides separately. Ambiance also plays into it as well.

jaklgreen

No, you're misunderstanding me. Being "good" and "high-end" are two different things in this instance. Not saying that a "high-end" place can't be "good," but one of the hallmarks of a high-end place is that they don't include sides. Like other posters have mentioned, this includes places like Morton's or Ruth's Chris, not your typical hometown steakhouse. While it might be good, which I'm not doubting, they are not in the same category.

So you are saying the STK is in this high end category? What Michelin star chef is cooking my steak there?

jaklgreen

Yes, STK is high-end. When did anyone mention Michelin stars? You obviously aren't understanding the difference, so I'll just leave it be.

I understand. My point is that it is probably hurting them to not throw in some stupid frites (french fries) with their steak. People see $40 for just the steak and are turned off, no matter how good the steak is.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I understand. My point is that it is probably hurting them to not throw in some stupid frites (french fries) with their steak. People see $40 for just the steak and are turned off, no matter how good the steak is.
Well, as no self respecting high end steakhouse serves "french fries" with their steak, I guess I can understand you're dilemma. Fries go with burgers or hot dogs, not steak.

jaklgreen

Yeah, well, not popular at a better steakhouse. I wouldn't even think of ordering them at anything other than an Outback or Saltgrass. Both of them are "good" steakhouses, but have nothing on a place like STK.

The article mentions STK with their fries covered in Parmesan and truffle oil. So yeah, your "high end" steak houses do serve fries. They serve what they think will sell. If the Disney Springs location is doing as bad as they say they say they are, then I bet in a few months you are going to see some fries on the menu being served with your steak.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Comparing "french fries" to parmesan truffle fries. While they are both made from potatoes, it is still an apples and oranges comparison, just like comparing a baked potato to french fries. 2 totally different experiences as far as sides go. Since it seems that you have never eaten at a restaurant that prices it's sides separately, there really is not point since you will never understand. I would like to know what places you have eaten that you consider high-end?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom