Star Wars Land, a big mistake for DHS???

21stamps

I agree with the first part of your statement. Avatar Land is a joke and an obvious knee-jerk reaction to Uni's Potterland by that cement head Iger. As for Star Wars...well, the New Hope, oops, Force Awakens film's success was largely fueled by nostalgia, although Star Wars' reach and appeal is much greater than Avatar's, of course. Still, it'll be interesting to see how Rogue One performs. It might do very well. But it'll be interesting...
Fueled by nostalgia that now has an entire new generation of SW addicts.
I can't see anyway that Rogue One won't be a massive success. The franchise is too hot right now, with the old Star Wars geeks and the new.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I mean... it could suck.
images.jpg

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
It's plenty relevant. @21stamps said "he can't see any way that Rogue One won't be a massive success." Lots of people said the same thing about Suicide Squad, then Suicide Squad sucked, and was not a massive success.

(Yes, it was a moderate success despite the terrible reviews. But not a massive one.)
Completely different.
One a comic book adaptation of a relatively recent group. The other a continuation af a highly popular film franchise dating back to the seventies that has huge global following through all types of people .

CaptainAmerica

Completely different.
One a comic book adaptation of a relatively recent group. The other a continuation af a highly popular film franchise dating back to the seventies that has huge global following through all types of people .
I never said that I think Rogue One will flop. Just that it's possible. You're reading way too much into it.

CaptainAmerica

A lot of people thought Episode 1 sucked, and it still made $1 billion in 1999.
The Phantom Menace had decades of hype and had "Episode" in the title. As the first stand-alone "Star Wars Story," there's more potential for confusing the general audience here who don't understand why there's no BB-8 in the trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Star Wars fanboy and I have HYYYYYYPE.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
The Phantom Menace had decades of hype and had "Episode" in the title. As the first stand-alone "Star Wars Story," there's more potential for confusing the general audience here who don't understand why there's no BB-8 in the trailer.

It has Star Wars in the title and Darth Vader in the trailer. That Should be enough to pre-sell enough tickets to make huge bank.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I mean... it could suck.

It may or may not suck, but it is the first SW movie in years that has any potential at all to flop. Though I think the chances of it happening are small, I know a lot of folk in the non-SWsuperfan community who are confused by where it is on the timeline. They are assuming it is episode VIII. Also, the "A Star Wars Story" phrase doesn't do a whole lot to rectify the confusion while making the movie sound like some kind of weird non-canon thing. Once again, I think the odds of it flopping are low, but you bring up a point that isn't outside the realm of possibility.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I never said that I think Rogue One will flop. Just that it's possible. You're reading way too much into it.
Just a side question, How much does Suicide Squad have to take globally to be considered a massive success ? 8th highest grossing film of the year so far all in seems pretty good to me. ( now i am reading more into it ;) )

21stamps

It's plenty relevant. @21stamps said "he can't see any way that Rogue One won't be a massive success." Lots of people said the same thing about Suicide Squad, then Suicide Squad sucked, and was not a massive success.

(Yes, it was a moderate success despite the terrible reviews. But not a massive one.)
She :). Ok so my kid's bedroom is complete Star Wars, mostly episode 7 related.
As is pretty much all of his school supplies, including backpack and lunch box.

Then the new trailer came out.
He "HAD TO HAVE" a Darth Vader backpack and lunchbox instead of the one I already bought him from Pottery Barn (thankfully I didn't get it monogrammed this year!! For the first time). Anyway, so we ran to a few different stores, most were sold out. Found one left at Toys R Us. 1st day of school was today and he is most excited about his "awesome backpack that talks". Then he started asking for more Darth Vader toys. Point being- don't underestimate the power of 'right now' on a child. :)

Side note- the backpack ended up being on clearance for $9.99 and the $14.99 matching lunch bag was free!! My child's fickleness saved me @ $65. :) :). I was ok with that. Lol

SorcererMC

I had fun thinking you joined the Dark Side for that fleeting moment.

The Empress Lilly

Rogue One certainly has the potential to make future SW releases flop.

It can confuse the audience, alienate non-hardcore fans, and create overkill.

I know I lost interest in superhero movies like a decade ago, when they were released left, right and centre. I didn't knew anymore Spiderman 3 was the third in a trilogy or the third series reboot.

Disney seems quite content to suck SW dry like a vampire and move on to the next big acquisition eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom