Star Wars Land, a big mistake for DHS???

21stamps

Rogue One certainly has the potential to make future SW releases flop.

It can confuse the audience, alienate non-hardcore fans, and create overkill.

I know I lost interest in superhero movies like a decade ago, when they were released left, right and centre. I didn't knew anymore Spiderman 3 was the third in a trilogy or the third series reboot.

Disney seems quite content to suck SW dry like a vampire and move on to the next big acquisition eventually.
....while sucking our checking accounts dry in the process....lol

raven

I was just reading an article dealing with the lack of new Disney Hotels and one conclusion was that the 4 parks were generally full now, so they don't have the park capacity to support any more hotels. Furthermore, the Star Wars property has now changed from a simple limited licensing of an old concept to Disney owning a new prospering franchise with new stories and characters. So considering the new 'size' and renewed popularity of Star Wars, isn't it too big to be pigeon-holed into Disney's Hollywood Studios? Not only that but devoting a whole section of the park to a single concept doesn't really fit the park, which is better suited presenting a variety of (different) entertainment attractions.
And with the new generation of Star Wars fans, I would NOW think that a new park featuring Star Wars attractions would be a bigger draw of new fans than Harry Potter was/is. Maybe, with the new Indiana Jones movie coming out soon, the new park could cater to that franchise as well.
It may not be too late to change since I think most of the work done for the new Star Wars land is the destruction of DHS so far, and that could be easily taken advantage of with the addition of many new DHS attractions like (in the new "Theater District" the Aladdin Stage Show, the return of the Hunchback and maybe a Disney on Ice show. Then back show.kiddie concerts (which bring in many new ticket families), and add some major Disney Channel star concerts, which could happen in the late afternoon in the Fantasmic Theater. Carsland could extend on from the new Toy Story area. Bring back the special events like Soaps featuring soap opera stars. There still would be a Star Wars and Indy connection keeping the existing attractions, but perhaps (stealing the idea from Universal's Hogwarts Train interconnection), they could add a high-speed mag-lev train between Star Tours and the new park?
Most of these concepts are all ready for construction, with the only delay being the planning and placement of the new park. So just move all the plans to the new park, and bring in some clones to DHS (no planning necessary) and turn up the steam and get it done. And plan and build that Star Wars Host Hotel.
Will Disney take the challenge?
Take a look at Disney's history and time frame from concept to green light to R&D to build to opening. I think you will find it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 years average on a project. No offense, just the harsh reality of the company.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Rogue One certainly has the potential to make future SW releases flop.

It can confuse the audience, alienate non-hardcore fans, and create overkill.

I know I lost interest in superhero movies like a decade ago, when they were released left, right and centre. I didn't knew anymore Spiderman 3 was the third in a trilogy or the third series reboot.

Disney seems quite content to suck SW dry like a vampire and move on to the next big acquisition eventually.
I think Star Wars is different. At most, we'll see one Star Wars film per year (I think). Superhero movies come out with much more frequency, and many of them aren't that good. I think the lousy quality we've seen so far from the DCEU is hurting the MCU in the process by creating general "superhero fatigue." As you've pointed out, non-hardcore fans don't know the difference between the film universes and everything gets lumped up in their brains as "superhero," with no distinction of Marvel Studios (Disney), Marvel (Sony), Marvel (Fox), or DC (Warner)

Chef Mickey

Not sure I'd call anything brand new that hasn't been seen yet a huge mistake.

Star Wars is popular. It's a good move. If it's executed well, it will be a home run. If it's executed just "OK," it will still be better than what we have now, which is a dying park.

I hope they hit it out of the park and I really think they can and will.

No Name

I think overcrowding the park is not a concern that strectches far above park management.

If the company truly feels that Star Wars will overcrowd DHS, they should be adding more to the park in addition to to Story Land. That way, capacity will increase. People will get to experience more attractions, lines will be shorter, and the pathways will be less crowded.

It seems clear that they do not feel this will be the case, or at least do not care. For proof, they are replacing the GmR with a Mixkey ride rather than adding the Mickey ride elsewhere in the oark. Also, they seem to be putting a GotG ride in Epcot rather than adding it to DHS.

So Star Wars land itself is not a mistake. Their surrounding actions (or lack thereof) may be the mistake.

LongLiveTheKing

I don't think it's a mistake but TIL omg they're doing another Indiana Jones movie.
Star Wars Land, a big mistake for Disneyland.
How is it a mistake? The only thing that sucks is that the train and Fantasmic are down for a while. The only results for Disneyland Star Wars Land Mistake complaints are leading to this thread and some comments on reddit about how it would have been better off in California Adventure.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't think it's a mistake but TIL omg they're doing another Indiana Jones movie.
How is it a mistake? The only thing that sucks is that the train and Fantasmic are down for a while. The only results for Disneyland Star Wars Land Mistake complaints are leading to this thread and some comments on reddit about how it would have been better off in California Adventure.
It's mostly because they are desecrating Walt's creation which, I assume, is a sin against nature. As long as we don't think about the idea that Walt may very well have done exactly the same thing to renew his park and bring it up to date. I think that the train of thought is... we all want new stuff as long as it doesn't change anything.

LongLiveTheKing

It's mostly because they are desecrating Walt's creation which, I assume, is a sin against nature. As long as we don't think about the idea that Walt may very well have done exactly the same thing to renew his park and bring it up to date. I think that the train of thought is... we all want new stuff as long as it doesn't change anything.
I mean they're not even "desecrating Walt" for DL Star Wars Land. No rides are being removed. No resturants. No key locations. They took out no iconic things of Frontierland or Critter Country and honestly seeing the current layout of the area last week I literally can't remember what has been removed besides that pond with the mechanical fish left over from Rainbow Ridge. The only thing removed seems to be walkways, which they're going to re-open up and just have it pass through SWL instead of as a direct Frontierland to Fantasyland thing anymore.

Goofyernmost

I mean they're not even "desecrating Walt" for DL Star Wars Land. No rides are being removed. No resturants. No key locations. They took out no iconic things of Frontierland or Critter Country and honestly seeing the current layout of the area last week I literally can't remember what has been removed besides that pond with the mechanical fish left over from Rainbow Ridge. The only thing removed seems to be walkways, which they're going to re-open up and just have it pass through SWL instead of as a direct Frontierland to Fantasyland thing anymore.
Yea, but, then there is the thing about how it doesn't fit thematically in MK. Not sure why other then it isn't fantasy. Wait.. it is fantasy isn't it. Oh, well... then I don't know why!

POLY LOVER

No. I don't see any reason for DHS to bring back Soap Opera Weekends since ABC has cancelled most of it's soaps since the last time the event took place. Creating a 5th park and filling DHS with a bunch of shows would just make people abandon the park. What happens when Star Wars fatigue sets in? If Disney is dead set on bringing out new Star Wars movies every year then in about 10 years people will be so tired of the franchise that they won't want to go to a park dedicated to all things Star Wars. Having a themed land in DHS allows people to go to a park and choose to see Star Wars or choose to see Toy Story. Also, a lot of people don't like Star Wars. This is all coming from a lifelong Star Wars fanatic who grew up with the original movies.

I think Disney has not leveraged their shows and connected them to the parks. The chew is coming to the food festival but not much is done along those lines. DHS could have some much connected and solve a lot of their content issues. Every contract they write should have a clause for an appearance or the show visiting and doing some on site shows. A part of DHS should replicate television city in ca.

Siren

You got that from the postmodern text generator, didn't you? :bookworm:

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
LOL. @The Empress Lilly - I don't even know what a postmodern text generator is. There is no machine or person or anything that can write like me! And, that link you posted has nothing to do with what I wrote.

It's not that serious, all I used were third grade site words anyway. Don't worry, from now on I'll just keep dumbing my posts all the way down to appease the masses, I suppose.

Absolutely give Cameron carte blanche on the Living Seas, Heck Cameron is one of the few people who helped Ballard with his deep diving research and he actually went down with Ballard several miles undersea so I think Cameron would be the one person who could revitalize 'The Living Seas'

I thought it sounded like something like an internal marketing presentation stolen from Burbank... As it's full of buzzwords which mean nothing at all.
No, it is not full of buzz words, I don't have to steal anything from Burbank.

I'll just take all of this as a compliment. LOL.

Siren

Lots of people said the same thing about Suicide Squad, then Suicide Squad sucked, and was not a massive success.

(Yes, it was a moderate success despite the terrible reviews. But not a massive one.)
I guess it's easy to make fun of Suicide Squad and Batman vs. Superman.

I didn't see it, but Suicide Squad does look awful. However, Harley Quinn is the breakout star. And, while her appearance and outfit is quite atrocious, I will totally give her a pass because she is rocking the exclusive Jeremy Scott Adidas boots in red and black.
2rh4l8z.jpg

qxq4k5.jpg
e7y0ev.jpg

These boots are just fire and now they are iconic, too. The one exception is the yellow and black pair -- those are not cute at all.

11cf4np.jpg
255t75h.jpg

These are just some off the knock offs that we're all going to see at Comic Con and for Halloween this season. Harley Quinn is the most popular Halloween costume.

Plus, there is an entire clothing and merchandise line for Suicide Squad Harley Quinn at Hot Topic.

In Batman vs Superman -- Wonder Woman was totally the breakout star. She was super stylish and elegant in every single scene with a bad whip to match! Not to mention that Wonder Woman was just dripping in Gucci!

Contrast that with Disney's Marvel women or woman. Let's start with Black Widow, she is shamed in the media and treated more as an afterthought. She's also excluded from most of the toy lines, too.

With the exception of Black Widow's black uniform -- all of her other normal clothing looks like they are directly from Sears or Land's End or Eddie Baurer or some place like that.

In Avengers 3, all the men at the boardroom meeting were stylish in suits and leather bomber jackets and whatnot. While, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch looked liked they were there to clean the office or do laundry or something!

And, what is so sad is that Scarlett Johanssen is one of the most beautiful women in the world but Disney plays down her looks so she won't outshine the men -- too badly.

The DC women are highly regarded as the shining stars of the DC franchise! So, I will continue to cheer DC on. </rant>

Back on topic, if anything Star Wars land will help DHS. I totally expect Rogue One to be successful. And, I am secretly hoping to see BB-8's parents or something! LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom