News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You're actually confusing rides here, the picture that Sedati showed was that of Rocket to the Moon (replaced by Mission to Mars) not the Rocket Jets spinner. It had a 72 foot model of the same rocket you rode in the attraction out front.

https://www.yesterland.com/moonrocket.html

You never actually loaded into that rocket, you went into the show building.

Its exactly the same.
oh ok. thank you for the correction about the attractions. I really can't talk about a ride before my time or one that I never rode even when it was mission to mars when I was little kid with any sort of authority or expertise. so in that regard, I can't compare this to the falcon scenario except based on what I have seen online and read about the attraction, even under it's different titles, the difference is you are getting onto a rocket similar to the one out front and not the exact same one as in the case with the millennium falcon ride because there is only one millennium falcon in the universe and the ride is trying to be soo immersive it is trying to make you believe you are taking a ride on the legendary ship in comparison to a ride that makes you think you are getting on a similar rocket to the one out front. Which would make ROCKET TO THE MOON more in line with STAR TOURS in the fact that you pass by one star cruiser in the show que that C-3P0 & R2-D2 are working on but you board what is a completely different star cruiser for your ride experience. so not quite the same as the SMUGGLER'S RUN. But again I never rode mission to mars as a kid so I can't confirm that is how the story played out except from what I read. so if it played out the way as how I read about, then I have to stand by my original point. but if I am wrong then please tell me more about the attraction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
oh ok. thank you for the correction about the attractions. I really can't talk about a ride before my time or one that I never rode even when it was mission to mars when I was little kid with any sort of authority or expertise. so in that regard, I can't compare this to the falcon scenario except based on what I have seen online and read about the attraction, even under it's different titles, the difference is you are getting onto a rocket similar to the one out front and not the exact same one as in the case with the millennium falcon ride because there is only one millennium falcon in the universe and the ride is trying to be soo immersive it is trying to make you believe you are taking a ride on the legendary ship in comparison to a ride that makes you think you are getting on a similar rocket to the one out front. Which would make ROCKET TO THE MOON more in line with STAR TOURS in the fact that you pass by one star cruiser in the show que that C-3P0 & R2-D2 are working on but you board what is a completely different star cruiser for your ride experience. so not quite the same as the SMUGGLER'S RUN. But again I never rode mission to mars as a kid so I can't confirm that is how the story played out except from what I read. so if it played out the way as how I read about, then I have to stand by my original point. but if I am wrong then please tell me more about the attraction.

I personally only rode Mission to Mars as a kid and I barely remember that. So others can comment on the original. The Moonliner Rocket was removed by that point.

Just an FYI, the Falcon is a YT-1300f Corellian freighter. Despite its prominence in the SW universe its not a unique ship, its just outdated so there weren't many around. So the Imagineers could say the one out front is another YT-1300f model that Hondo is using for spare parts. This is so he can retrofit the Falcon's cabin with more seats for our smuggling mission. ;)

lifeisgoodboy

Do you think the ride will look like this?

Screenshot_2018-12-11-22-24-57.png

TP2000

I agree that the old TWA Rocket To The Moon is basically the exact same concept as Millenium Falcon - Smuggler's Run.

You went into the building and the hostess said you were boarding the "TWA Moonliner" for the moon, after you'd walked past the TWA Moonliner parked outside. Same thing, but Millenium Falcon will have a much more elaborate pre-show than just the TWA gate lounge for the Moonliner.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, our favorite lady blogger has uploaded her most recent video gatherings of Star Wars Land this evening.

Last edited:

lifeisgoodboy

I agree that the old TWA Rocket To The Moon is basically the exact same concept as Millenium Falcon - Smuggler's Run.

You went into the building and the hostess said you were boarding the "TWA Spaceliner" for the moon, after you'd walked past the TWA Spaceliner parked outside. Same thing, but Millenium Falcon will have a much more elaborate pre-show than just the TWA gate lounge for the Spaceliner.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, our favorite lady blogger has uploaded her most recent video gatherings of Star Wars Land this evening.

In the video, There was snow on the mountains. Winter is here.

TP2000

In the video, There was snow on the mountains. Winter is here.

Yes! Snow is already showing up on the mountains of SoCal, a bit earlier than usual.

Next December or January we should have some great photos of the Star Wars Land rocky peaks backdropped by the snow covered San Gabriel Mountains. Star Wars Land a year from now should give the Matterhorn a run for its money in shots like this.

2_bJO7DcEteGfQM_Q0p-q9GFGgJSYpOlYRJHVcX8PVg.jpg

Last edited:

fctiger

Yes! Snow is already showing up on the mountains of SoCal, a bit earlier than usual.

Next December or January we should have some great photos of the Star Wars Land rocky peaks backdropped by the snow covered San Gabriel Mountains. Star Wars Land a year from now should give the Matterhorn a run for its money in shots like this.

2_bJO7DcEteGfQM_Q0p-q9GFGgJSYpOlYRJHVcX8PVg.jpg

I just love the fact Disney will be getting yet another mountain landmark! SWL will be the fifth one in the park after SM, Splash, BTM and obviously Matterhorn. That's what I love about the park, all those mountain tops hovering throughout the park. SWL is going to be so cool to see theirs up front. .

Old Mouseketeer

I personally only rode Mission to Mars as a kid and I barely remember that. So others can comment on the original. The Moonliner Rocket was removed by that point.

Just an FYI, the Falcon is a YT-1300f Corellian freighter. Despite its prominence in the SW universe its not a unique ship, its just outdated so there weren't many around. So the Imagineers could say the one out front is another YT-1300f model that Hondo is using for spare parts. This is so he can retrofit the Falcon's cabin with more seats for our smuggling mission. ;)

I rode the original Flight to the Moon that is in the picture, plus the post-1967 version and Mission to Mars. And I rode it at least once in Florida mid-'70s. FttM/MtM was a direct predecessor to Star Tours and Milennium Falcon. It was very immersive for its time. The 1955 version had cabin vibration effects and the 1967 model had hydraulics that made your seat cushion lift and fall. This was very new stuff for its time. Star Tours added full motion simulation and now MF:SR will feature a high degree of game console-style interactivity. From 1955 to 1969 the idea of space travel and visiting the moon was a big part of popular culture. In the 1960s and '70s film and TV such as Star Trek, 2001 and Star Wars expanded this interest into further exploration. There is a fairly direct path of development through these attractions, including seeing your ship (or one just like it) out front or in the preshow queue.

At this point I think this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp and will never get up and gallop.

Old Mouseketeer

Do you think the ride will look like this?

View attachment 332781

Probably very similar. I have talked to people who have seen into the show building and also seen cockpits and screen components being delivered and loaded. They described the screens as being more elongated (like a tube) at least on top because of the ceiling windows of the cockpit. I would guess that only one or two of the positions would have Falcon corridors behind them for boarding/exiting and the rest would have some kind of emergency exit stairs or perimeter walkway. I think the form of emergency egress would depend on how much they want to spend on theming (which they typically do not).

Ismael Flores

I just love the fact Disney will be getting yet another mountain landmark! SWL will be the fifth one in the park after SM, Splash, BTM and obviously Matterhorn. That's what I love about the park, all those mountain tops hovering throughout the park. SWL is going to be so cool to see theirs up front. .

I wish DCA had more mountains :-(

I still think they need to add an extension of the rocky cliffs behind the eastern helix to help hide that awful background.
That corner of the Pier looks messy with all the structures from Katella and the power lines mixed in with the structures of Pixar pier.

At least they should consider landscaping the inside of the helix with a mixture of Palms, trees.

JS514

I hate to be "that person", but I've read through countless pages in this thread, as well as google searched, and I never could quite find the answer.

Regarding Rise of the Resistance, is it a largely physical set a la Forbidden Journey/Frozen/etc, primarily screens a la Gringotts, or is it a mixture? Will there be AAs? Watching the teaser video that was supposedly shot in the attraction....I guess I just can't quite grasp what is happening. Can somebody explain this to me like I am a moron (bc I am), or at least point me to somewhere that does? haha:oops:

britain

I hate to be "that person", but I've read through countless pages in this thread, as well as google searched, and I never could quite find the answer.

Regarding Rise of the Resistance, is it a largely physical set a la Forbidden Journey/Frozen/etc, primarily screens a la Gringotts, or is it a mixture? Will there be AAs? Watching the teaser video that was supposedly shot in the attraction....I guess I just can't quite grasp what is happening. Can somebody explain this to me like I am a moron (bc I am), or at least point me to somewhere that does? haha:oops:

Large sets with a mixture of AAs and screens. But what that ratio is we don't know. Think of it more as Disney's answer to IOA's Spider-Man, but with less hydraulic rocking and more AAs. The vehicles are in that video, 'driven' by black droids.

Note, I'm not in the know. This is just what insiders here have shared.

BrianLo

Original Poster

I think more Akin to Shanghai’s pirates. Which is more on the mix of Forbidden Journey (but Forbidden Journey actually houses reasonably small sets).

Gringotts represents the extreme of mostly screens with limited framing sets. Ratatouille a half step above mostly because it houses one practical scene.

In grading large scale attractions with screens to practical I’d think Gringotts - Rat - Shanghai’s Pirates/this ride - Radiator Springs Racers - Classical Pirates

britain

I think more Akin to Shanghai’s pirates. Which is more on the mix of Forbidden Journey (but Forbidden Journey actually houses reasonably small sets).

Gringotts represents the extreme of mostly screens with limited framing sets. Ratatouille a half step above mostly because it houses one practical scene.

In grading large scale attractions with screens to practical I’d think Gringotts - Rat - Shanghai’s Pirates/this ride - Radiator Springs Racers - Classical Pirates

You're probably right – Shanghai Pirates in terms of scale and AA's. But drifting along in that huge boat is definitely not what to expect out of RotR.

Plus, it has never been confirmed, but it has also never been denied: 3D glasses?

Professortango1

I know. not saying that I think I will be walking into a actual working spaceship. I am talking about for immersion sake. look at the haunted mansion. it is a PERFECT ATTRACTION. and it all starts in the que. you keep moving closer to entrance of this mansion. the whole time you are in this front yard and you can't see anything behind the mansion due to berm so it makes you feel you are in the yard of a real house and that the attraction takes place only in that building. then you walk into the building and then to the stretching room. and they use that as a gate way to get you past the Disneyland railroad and go under the berm and into the show building all the while maintaining the illusion you are inside the same building you walked into and you never left. they cleverly use the berm to the ride's advantage and story. it is PERFECT EXAMPLE of art through adversity. but, and again I am only speaking for myself, walking past the giant falcon and into a show building only to have the show building make me get on a falcon inside that building will take me out of the experience a bit. and it is clear Disney is going for full immersion in the land especially with the "NO VISA LOGO" thing. we are now in 2018 with more advanced technology than ever before, is it too much to ask for a little creativity like they used back in 1969 for the mansion? I think not.

The queue looks nothing like an outdoor garden/yard of a Mansion. The main pathway is fine, but the back part of the queue behind the brick wall is pretty terrible. Not to mention the fact there are gravestones directly over crypts. The elevator is wonderful, but how do we magically see through a scrim ceiling? Why are there theme park vehicles and a speed ramp in this plain black-walled room?

I'm not saying these are big problems, but if you're looking to nitpick about a ride which doesn't have information out about it yet, you might as well acknowledge every issue and logic problem which is present elsewhere in the theme park.

Old Mouseketeer

The queue looks nothing like an outdoor garden/yard of a Mansion. The main pathway is fine, but the back part of the queue behind the brick wall is pretty terrible. Not to mention the fact there are gravestones directly over crypts. The elevator is wonderful, but how do we magically see through a scrim ceiling? Why are there theme park vehicles and a speed ramp in this plain black-walled room?

I'm not saying these are big problems, but if you're looking to nitpick about a ride which doesn't have information out about it yet, you might as well acknowledge every issue and logic problem which is present elsewhere in the theme park.

One thing to remember about the Mansion queue is that originally behind the brick wall there was a large grass lawn in front of the crypts with the headstones--it wasn't all switchbacks. During peak days (mostly summer) they would add an extended queue across the front fence all the way down to the exit. They eliminated this prior to the 1973 opening of Bear Country to increase capacity of the walkway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom